shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help finding a Ring in my budget.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
Hi

I am not sure what I will end up buy a natural or lab grown diamond, so I am sort of asking this question both forums. My gf does not care as long as it looks nice(sparkles) and she can call it a diamond, so it goes back to me to find some options in my budget and then present her with those options.

I have a budget of 3,000cdn (2274.67 USD) that would be including the setting and taxes. However the front runner after going to local stores is Spence Lab grown diamond with setting is $3200 CDN (2426.32 USD) with no taxes.

Contender
Lab grown diamond: .64 H VS1
Setting: 14Kt yellow gold, 1mm in width and with 6 prongs solitaire.

I know the above is lab grown diamond but it should be transferable to what we would want in a natural diamond. Of course maybe VS1 is not needed and could be cut back a bit.

Clarity: we don't want people to see any inclusions while looking at it with the naked eye (under 10x zoom I don't care). She wants to you know show her co-workers and stuff, I imagine they won't be staring at it for more than a min or 2.

Color: we liked I or H so that would be the traget color (if we can get higher great if not I think that would be are range).

Cut: Probably Very Good at a minimum (not sure what Spences Excellent rating maps too on site like bluenile) but at the end of the day we want this ring to sparkle.

Carat: 0.55 to 0.70 would be the range though since my gf seemed to like 0.64 I guess that is the size to go for.

Store

I don't care which online site it is as long as it reputable and has free shipping to Canada, no duties and 30 day 100% return police that includes shipping.

Blue Nile
This is really the only store I looked at, I will list a few diamonds that I see to get some thoughts, but if you want to show me from another store or something else you found on Blue Nile that would be great too.

One this though is they seem to have no solitaire ring at 1mm and 1.8mm is the thinnest I seen so not sure how much that will be a deal breaker for my gf.

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-y...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-y...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

What gets me with blue niles view, is it is magnified, so I start seeing the inclusions and it sort of scares me away from it.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Put the 3rd stone from BN on hold or else it may get taken by lurkers. I would ask them to confirm it's eye clean & there is no haze or milky look to the diamond. It looks eye clean to me but I did just glance at it as I was going through the list.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
Put the 3rd stone from BN on hold or else it may get taken by lurkers. I would ask them to confirm it's eye clean & there is no haze or milky look to the diamond. It looks eye clean to me but I did just glance at it as I was going through the list.

ok, not sure how to put it on hold. Also not sure what you mean by eye clean, would this be in the GIA report?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Phone customer service or click on the live chat button on the bottom right hand corner. They can put a hold on the stone for you.

I don't know what is available in regards to lab grown diamonds. As for an earth mined stone, that one you picked from BN is a nice one. The lab stones at Spence are not GIA graded so it might in fact be a GIA I or J. I think you'll be safe with the BN I. But again, have customer service put a hold on it for you so others can help you find alternatives.

GIA report won't tell you if it is eye clean. The gemologist for BN will have to get that information for you from their supplier. That I looks like it will be eye clean. I hope there is no hazy effect & the gemologist will be able to find that for you as well. The setting is also a lot more substantial with BN than it would be with Spence. Make sure you know her ring size. ;-)

Last edited:

chobo2

Rough_Rock
I just read your wants. A 1mm width band is going to be extremely thin. Are you sure it was 1mm? I would say stick to at least 2mm which will be thin enough.

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-y...ow-gold_9?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

It will be a lovely ring.

Yea, I bought her a temporary ring and it is around 1.8 mm and she also likes that thickness. So maybe 2mm won't be too bad.

Phone customer service or click on the live chat button on the bottom right hand corner. They can put a hold on the stone for you.

I don't know what is available in regards to lab grown diamonds. As for an earth mined stone, that one you picked from BN is a nice one. The lab stones at Spence are not GIA graded so it might in fact be a GIA I or J. I think you'll be safe with the BN I. But again, have customer service put a hold on it for you so others can help you find alternatives.

GIA report won't tell you if it is eye clean. The gemologist for BN will have to get that information for you from their supplier. That I looks like it will be eye clean. I hope there is no hazy effect & the gemologist will be able to find that for you as well. The setting is also a lot more substantial with BN than it would be with Spence. Make sure you know her ring size. ;-)

Ok, trying to get a hold now.

I am very open to alternatives. Like I said not picky of real vs lab. Just trying to get the best ring based on my wish list for best price.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1mm is too thin to be safe. It may be out of round in no time. Please consider 2mm.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
1mm is too thin to be safe. It may be out of round in no time. Please consider 2mm.

what do you mean out of round?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bent, no longer round. 2mm is sturdy enough to stay round.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go for a lab diamond, make sue it's graded by a reputable lab and has proportions that are often recommended here (e.g. 54-57 table, 60-60.4 depth, 34-35 crown, 40.6-40.8 pavilion). And same goes for natural stones.

chobo2

Rough_Rock

this is what they wrote back to me

The diamond is "eye clean" and there is no haze or milky effect per the vault manager that inspected it for me.
"Eye clean" means that an average layperson viewing the diamond face-up from a distance of six to eight inches would not be able to see any inclusions, but it is not a guarantee that no inclusions would ever be visible no matter how closely you scrutinized the diamond. If you want assurance that the diamond's inclusions would never be visible no matter how closely examined, we recommend choosing a diamond with at least a VS2 clarity.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is what they wrote back to me

The diamond is "eye clean" and there is no haze or milky effect per the vault manager that inspected it for me.
"Eye clean" means that an average layperson viewing the diamond face-up from a distance of six to eight inches would not be able to see any inclusions, but it is not a guarantee that no inclusions would ever be visible no matter how closely you scrutinized the diamond. If you want assurance that the diamond's inclusions would never be visible no matter how closely examined, we recommend choosing a diamond with at least a VS2 clarity.

This is a nice stone with good numbers. I watched it turn at close up range and could never find the inclusion. I think I can see it occasionally in a virtual
facet deeper in the stone but not the "real" inclusion. Chances are at .65 in is eye-clean. If not, return it (yes, a pain but I think the chances are slim
that you will have to). It also appears to be a good price. I checked JA briefly and didnt find anything in that price range.

I think you should go for it.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely please do not get a 1mm shank.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on that, It will probably be 1.8 If I go with blue nile.
1.8mm is the thinnest I would go, and that's only of she isn't hard on her rings and the shank is plain (doesn't have diamonds on it).

chobo2

Rough_Rock
Hey

Any final thoughts or opinions as today I am going to order it unless I hear otherwise.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
I would go with a four prong setting instead of six. I would also look for one where the ring tapers near the head. It helps make smaller diamonds appear a little larger.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
So I pulled the trigger and bought it. It was cheaper then what I was seeing online($50 USD cheaper) so that is good plus got another $76 USD with a promo code.

In the end I paid $1,629.24 USD for the diamond itself. All in price with the 18K 6 prong setting was $2182.37 USD

Now lets just hope it is as good as it looks on paper as if it is then I think I did better than the mined option they showed at Spence($1909 USD for .55 H SI2) and their all in price was $2435.87 USD with 14K 1 mm setting.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats at making the jump. It is a lovely diamond & it's definitely one she can feel confident to show off to her friends. Let your BN representative know that you want fine, short dainty prongs. If you like the claw prongs, request them but make sure they are short & dainty. If you were in the US, it would be easy to ship back if they messed up but having to deal with the border & everything, you want this ring to go one way, to you. Pay attention to the prongs & make sure they send you pictures of the set ring before they ship. You don't want surprises. ;))

Edited to ad. You can feel confident that you did much better with BN than you would have with Spence.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
Congrats at making the jump. It is a lovely diamond & it's definitely one she can feel confident to show off to her friends. Let your BN representative know that you want fine, short dainty prongs. If you like the claw prongs, request them but make sure they are short & dainty. If you were in the US, it would be easy to ship back if they messed up but having to deal with the border & everything, you want this ring to go one way, to you. Pay attention to the prongs & make sure they send you pictures of the set ring before they ship. You don't want surprises. ;))

Edited to ad. You can feel confident that you did much better with BN than you would have with Spence.

I did not know that was an option to specify stuff like prongs. What does making short and dainty do? Make the diamond look bigger? Does it cause the diamond to be less protected?

Also other than claw what other choice is there?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Click on Show Me The Bling and go look at rings in the Engagement ring folder for some examples of some prongs you like. The most popular I'd say are the rounded regular prongs & the claw prongs. Find an actual picture & send that to the BN rep. This way, hopefully, they can relay exactly the look you want with the setter. Some prongs cover up a lot of the diamond. You don't want that. Short & dainty make the stone look bigger & softer looking. With 6 prongs the stone will be protected. I would stick to either rounded regular prongs or short slim dainty claws.
I'm a bit busy today & not able to dig up pics. Head over to Show Me The Bling.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
Click on Show Me The Bling and go look at rings in the Engagement ring folder for some examples of some prongs you like. The most popular I'd say are the rounded regular prongs & the claw prongs. Find an actual picture & send that to the BN rep. This way, hopefully, they can relay exactly the look you want with the setter. Some prongs cover up a lot of the diamond. You don't want that. Short & dainty make the stone look bigger & softer looking. With 6 prongs the stone will be protected. I would stick to either rounded regular prongs or short slim dainty claws.
I'm a bit busy today & not able to dig up pics. Head over to Show Me The Bling.

OK I will take a look, when you do have a free moment if you could please show me some examples that would be great.

I will contact BN to see how long I have to do this. I know it ships out march 8th.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the-tiffany-setting-18k-yellow-gold-19591344e061908_1.02cttf_am_ac_x1b_WB_R1.jpg
Tiffany style prongs BE1D1959_Claw Prong_Round_yellow_carat_75.jpg
Claw prongs

The Tiffany prongs are more rounded. Claw prongs are pointy. I prefer claws but lots of people here like Tiffany style. IRL they are tiny so it isn't hugely noticeable.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
the-tiffany-setting-18k-yellow-gold-19591344e061908_1.02cttf_am_ac_x1b_WB_R1.jpg
Tiffany style prongs BE1D1959_Claw Prong_Round_yellow_carat_75.jpg
Claw prongs

The Tiffany prongs are more rounded. Claw prongs are pointy. I prefer claws but lots of people here like Tiffany style. IRL they are tiny so it isn't hugely noticeable.

And would these be considered fine in terms of width?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if you ask for thin dainty claw prongs they should be similar to the 2nd pic. The first pic is usually standard and would be what you get if nothing is specified. Unless they are poorly made and blobby they will be small IRL. BN has quality settings so no worries. Just ask for claw prongs if you like them better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results