shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Deciding

voce

Ideal_Rock
None of those stones have been set. I will do bezels and halos with all of them to play it safe.

I agree, even diamonds can chip. I won't be wearing them even close to on a daily basis. Occasionally at best. Thanks again:)

See, if you really are planning to pass them on to your grandchildren, I don't think you should do bezel. After many years the gems would have facet wear, and your heirs might want to take the harm out for a polish, which would entail destroying the bezel setting to retrieve the stone.

I only bezel cheaper stones. All the more expensive stones I set in a prong design. Precisely so it's easy to touch up the precious center gem after 50 years.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
See, if you really are planning to pass them on to your grandchildren, I don't think you should do bezel. After many years the gems would have facet wear, and your heirs might want to take the harm out for a polish, which would entail destroying the bezel setting to retrieve the stone.

I only bezel cheaper stones. All the more expensive stones I set in a prong design. Precisely so it's easy to touch up the precious center gem after 50 years.
I had no idea!!!! Well it's too late for 2 of them. Do you tend to do more halo's then to protect your gemstones?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea!!!! Well it's too late for 2 of them. Do you tend to do more halo's then to protect your gemstones?

Yes and no.

I DO do a lot of halos. But NOT to protect gems. I mainly love to play with color, and halo stones means more colors. But I also try to mix it up with other styles.
IMG_20191222_111126.jpg
There are some red gems where I just went with red and white because to me, red steals the show from the other colors, so I might as well have it stand out against white diamonds.

1597248732397.png
Of course, if I get too many red/white rings I get bored, so I try other combinations, such as this one.
IMG_20200807_123018.jpg

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Yes and no.

I DO do a lot of halos. But NOT to protect gems. I mainly love to play with color, and halo stones means more colors. But I also try to mix it up with other styles.
IMG_20191222_111126.jpg
There are some red gems where I just went with red and white because to me, red steals the show from the other colors, so I might as well have it stand out against white diamonds.

1597248732397.png
Of course, if I get too many red/white rings I get bored, so I try other combinations, such as this one.
IMG_20200807_123018.jpg
Oh my goodness!!! You have a treasure trove of one beautiful, special ring after another! Look at all of those bright bold gorgeous colors!!!! So fun too!!! I can see I am way too boring! I don’t know how you can possibly choose what to wear!!! What a great problem to have! I have to look some more- it is absolutely mesmerizing!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!! I love them!!!!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@voce would you mind telling me more about the setting of the ring at the very bottom row, second from the right? The one with the red stone and white fan like setting? Love the way that ring looks! :kiss2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce would you mind telling me more about the setting of the ring at the very bottom row, second from the right? The one with the red stone and white fan like setting? Love the way that ring looks! :kiss2:
I bought a red spinel, which I had Jerry Newman cut into an oval, and I sent it to Ivy and Rose to set in this stock setting from them.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Well after giving it a lot of thought and seeing a very light response to listing some of my gemstones, I have decided to set some of what I already have. I tend to get bored easily and selling helps the budget for getting new. So I will enjoy what I have:) The next one I will set is a 3 carat lilac spinel that is emerald cut. I could use some opinions on side stones. North/South baguettes, traps, or French cuts. I would love to do square frenchies but I’m not sure how that would look??? Thoughts? B163A871-B7B2-4A74-8F86-43DD2CEE09BD.jpeg 54A57797-2562-40C2-9071-88343C22D450.jpeg
Thanks for all of your help!!! I feel good about my decision!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Well after giving it a lot of thought and seeing a very light response to listing some of my gemstones, I have decided to set some of what I already have. I tend to get bored easily and selling helps the budget for getting new. So I will enjoy what I have:) The next one I will set is a 3 carat lilac spinel that is emerald cut. I could use some opinions on side stones. North/South baguettes, traps, or French cuts. I would love to do square frenchies but I’m not sure how that would look??? Thoughts? B163A871-B7B2-4A74-8F86-43DD2CEE09BD.jpeg 54A57797-2562-40C2-9071-88343C22D450.jpeg
Why do all of my pictures look nothing like my stones???? They are so much darker in the photos:(

voce

Ideal_Rock

I suggest BTETB in a 5-stone setting. The emerald cut spinel should be set N-S, flanked by trapezoid diamonds, and then you can have baguettes on either side of the trapezoids.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I suggest BTETB in a 5-stone setting. The emerald cut spinel should be set N-S, flanked by trapezoid diamonds, and then you can have baguettes on either side of the trapezoids.

I do adore that setting! I just don't know that I feel you see the baguettes all that much and they are spendy! But I like your idea voce- thank you!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote all straight baguettes three on each side and graduated in size.
Beautiful stone!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone!

@Rfisher I never thought of that!!! That would definitely provide finger coverage- I like that! I will have to look for a setting like that and see what I think. Thank you!!!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock

@voce I just found that ring design with tab prongs and I love it!!! Thanks!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!

FWIW I've never seen straight N-S baguettes set in a way that looked pretty. Wouldn't there be too many prongs like in cluster rings? That would distract me away from noticing simple and elegant lines.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I've never seen straight N-S baguettes set in a way that looked pretty. Wouldn't there be too many prongs like in cluster rings? That would distract me away from noticing simple and elegant lines.

When I’ve seen it, it’s not been prong set. Like deco period - bezels I think.

voce

Ideal_Rock
When I’ve seen it, it’s not been prong set. Like deco period - bezels I think.

My mind can only conjure up single horizontal bezels. When it's N-S and graduated bezels, wouldn't that look like distracting zig zags? On the other hand, multiple baguettes set parallel to one another without a difference in length or angle would look boring to me, like there's not enough variation to attract my eyes. On the other hand I adore ballerina rings and rings like the setting for Bron's Barbie where the baguettes are set in angles to create a focal point.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6D9E2D4D-7C6E-4496-BF3A-DF56711BFF21.jpeg
graduated baguettes set n/s bezel set.
I guess you could call this zig zag?!?

@peppermintpatty - I’m sure whatever you choose will be lovely!
Can’t wait to see!

voce

Ideal_Rock
6D9E2D4D-7C6E-4496-BF3A-DF56711BFF21.jpeg
graduated baguettes set n/s bezel set.
I guess you could call this zig zag?!?

Yes. The zig zag is visible in the outline of the ring, along the top edge, and it's what my eyes get drawn to, away from the center stone. Not sure if the bottom of this ring is all lined up, but if the baguettes are set centered along the band, you would see a zig zag in other views too. Thanks for providing a visual example, Rfisher.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@voce and @Rfisher i have a quote for the 3 stone and I’m getting a quote for the 5 stone. I love the 5 stone!!! We will see if my budget does! You both have great taste and I value your opinions- thank you!!! Do either of you have thoughts on these? DAA7FAB7-4278-46AC-A640-777C8F731B0D.jpeg DAA7FAB7-4278-46AC-A640-777C8F731B0D.jpeg DAA7FAB7-4278-46AC-A640-777C8F731B0D.jpeg

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t put my Restasis drops in yet lol!!! Sorry for 3 pictures! :(

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If my budget covered the 5-stone
That gets my vote hands down :love:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@peppermintpatty I prefer the 5 stone, but your example uses bullet cuts, not trapezoid cuts, and while I love the tabs on the emerald cut, I do find the tabs on the sidestones a bit distracting. When I'm using step cut diamonds, it's because I want a clean aesthetic and an occasional flash instead of plain metal or blingy halo. My personal preference is to bezel all the sidestones.

I'm posting these pictures of my ruby 5-stone to serve as example of what I mean. With this one, I was designing with smaller Cadillac cuts that would have given a single tapered edge, but the stones my jeweler picked (for the best match) were bigger than I originally sketched in my design, so there's a lip where the Cadillac bezels are joined to the baguette bezels.

773136 773134

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@voce I see what you mean about your ruby ring which by the way is beautiful!!! In my other inspiration photo I am rather surprised I like the baguette N/S, but with my engagement ring being an emerald cut diamond with baguettes set E/W I don't want them to be too much a like. I could set a bullet after the baguette on the N/S ring I guess.
I normally would agree with with the tabs on the sidetones being a bit distracting, but in this instance I feel it just flows with the whole ring. The cost of the 2 settings is quite a bit different, I will see what David says after I send him my Spinel. I don't want the side stones to be super small, I think the tabs will overwhelm stones that aren't big enough- so I am hoping my stone is large enough to carry that look.
I do realize I won't be getting traps either way... perhaps another time...
Thank you again for all of your advice, I really appreciate it!!!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I decided. More pictures one it has been set:) So excited!!!!! E79CAB85-B42B-4D81-8309-B19AFCBA97E2.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squeee!

I decided. More pictures one it has been set:) So excited!!!!! E79CAB85-B42B-4D81-8309-B19AFCBA97E2.jpeg

I recognize this- How awesome!
Yes, some jealous, but happy for you :)

Can’t wait to see more pics and find out more info.
Wait - you still owe grey spinel pictures hmmmm?
:lol:

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Squeee!

I recognize this- How awesome!
Yes, some jealous, but happy for you :)

Can’t wait to see more pics and find out more info.
Wait - you still owe grey spinel pictures hmmmm?
:lol:

I am the jealous one!!! Your collection is jaw dropping and always inspires me!!!!
I have to decide on the setting. I have it narrowed down. It's big! So I think I will need to have it pretty protected- bezel for sure!
I know- I owe you pictures. I feel terrible, I genuinely do! I take the worst pictures ever!!! It's embarrassing! I don't post much because I am truly awful at it!
If my daughter would help me, I would do it. Perhaps I will bribe her! :)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is chosen. She is big and she is Deep... I feel like only a bezel will protect this big beauty:) Can I get some opinions on the settings I’m looking at please- thanks in advance! C32C3BA6-B31F-408E-B6A1-EC47AB9F7868.jpeg EFE5E7F2-113F-4840-AFC5-3D1AACE94F05.jpeg CA8F1696-9EA3-4EF7-97FE-78DD38F42549.jpeg 426D368C-D9A5-4606-8CBC-BFCBDADA73F8.jpeg 54AA2B68-6657-4871-8395-AB984E5D43C8.jpeg 6872B5FC-2136-4D21-A481-DBFB04ED7103.jpeg
I just want to add that after seeing the stone in person I really feel I need to go with yellow gold to bring out more color from the stone. I am afraid that white gold will only wash it out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results