shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Deciding

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I realize some of you might know who these stones belong to. I have never purchased from either one of them and I think they are both extremely talented! Which stone would you go with and why? Please don’t let it be based on which person I would be buying from. I’m pretty sure you would all have great things to say about both of them! The other option would be to set some of the stones I already have. Thanks in advance:) F39D4128-53AB-49F9-9403-772593F6CCC2.jpeg 84EBC899-C6DB-42C7-98DA-91FD1752FD69.jpeg

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I realize some of you might know who these stones belong to. I have never purchased from either one of them and I think they are both extremely talented! Which stone would you go with and why? Please don’t let it be based on which person I would be buying from. I’m pretty sure you would all have great things to say about both of them! The other option would be to set some of the stones I already have. Thanks in advance:) F39D4128-53AB-49F9-9403-772593F6CCC2.jpeg 84EBC899-C6DB-42C7-98DA-91FD1752FD69.jpeg

Sorry, the pink stone is a Spinel. Very close in size and price to the Mint Garnet.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I like the pink one. If it's eye clean.

It does have a bit of inclusions but he said that with the way the pavilion is cut it masks them and the sparkle does the rest. If I go that route, I will ask for a video. Thank you seaurchin.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, that is a hard choice.
Do you have other pink or green gems?
If you already have a pink, go green. If you have green, go pink!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, that is a hard choice.
Do you have other pink or green gems?
If you already have a pink, go green. If you have green, go pink!
I have both. Though mine aren’t as big as these 2. My green is a tourmaline and my pink is garnet. Both are beautiful colors, but smaller. About 2.5 carats each and they are both round. Maybe I should wait. It just seems so hard to find bigger stones... Thank you ItsMainelyYou

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly prefer the pink, but both are great

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly prefer the pink, but both are great

Thanks lovedogs, is it because you’re a pink lover, or an oval lover, or a Spinel lover? Does that one just speak to you more? It’s been on his website for a long time, I think that holds me back a bit...

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the green one! But I have a thing for green :mrgreen: in general and the cushion shape.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does have a bit of inclusions but he said that with the way the pavilion is cut it masks them and the sparkle does the rest. If I go that route, I will ask for a video. Thank you seaurchin.

I have a pale sapphire from him (your spinel guy) like that and about your price range. Portugeuse-cut pavilion that hides giant fingerprint inclusions all around the periphery (none under the table). Looks glorious directly under overhead light and on full-on cloudy days but not at other times. It's a "clever" cut and my enthusiasm has waned a bit. Also: garnet is not the best choice for a ring, imo.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks lovedogs, is it because you’re a pink lover, or an oval lover, or a Spinel lover? Does that one just speak to you more? It’s been on his website for a long time, I think that holds me back a bit...

I just prefer the cut of the pink I think. The green is more "splintery" than I like I think. Of course they are both really nice, but just trying to decide on a favorite

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I love them both! And have a special place in my heart for mint garnets. That said, spinel has great durability if it’s going to become a ring!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
both are pretty
Do you happen to have a specific setting in mind that one or the other will complement better?
Do you happen to know the depth measurement of the spinel? if deep, would that be a consideration of how high a ring mount would end up? If that matters to you.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
both are pretty
Do you happen to have a specific setting in mind that one or the other will complement better?
Do you happen to know the depth measurement of the spinel? if deep, would that be a consideration of how high a ring mount would end up? If that matters to you.

Those are good questions!

I don't have a specific setting in mind for either one. I don't believe the depth is listed on the spinel. to my untrained eye it looks deep. It definitely matters it I would have to set it high. Though none of my gemstone rings are everyday rings, I still would be devastated to spend that much and get a chip! So bezels have become my new best friend :)

I think when the garnet came out, I kept saying to myself- please someone buy this so I don't! Back when I started looking at colored gemstones I would have given my eye teeth for that pink spinel. After acquiring some pink, I think I am close to over pink. It is more to do with it being a Spinel and larger. I did recently get a mint green tourmaline from Saltgemsco and that scratched my itch for mint green though it is a bit smaller than I like it is stunning.

I think I am not sure I should spend that amount on a garnet when I am uncertain of how durable it would be, for me specifically. I always tend to be harder on things and no idea how? I must be clumsy?!

I have a gorgeous orchid color emerald cut spinel from Riouxrocks that I should set, that tourmaline, and a oh so pretty light peach/pink garnet from Premier Gems with I swear flashes of gold in it. I could get a couple of those set... I do have settings in mind for all three of those. I have more to be set, but I may sell some of those because I can never wear all of these rings! I do have one to make into a pendant.

Thinking out loud- I sound like a mess even to me!!! lol

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
They are a little hard to compare with the pics available. With that said, the mint seems to have more movement and I love the cut so it gets my vote. Let us know what you decide :)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I will bright&shiny! I may end up going with setting the stones I already have... Thank you!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mint green grabs me! Great problem to have.

voce

Ideal_Rock
You should go with whichever color appeals more. Another consideration is that spinel is more durable.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
The mint green grabs me! Great problem to have.

I do have problems, this is my distraction/addiction! I know what you are saying. The mint green grabs me too motownmama! Thanks!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
You should go with whichever color appeals more. Another consideration is that spinel is more durable.

That's the problem. The but. But spinel is more durable. So how wise is it to spend over 2k on a garnet? I have really tried to stick with Spinel and bezels, but as I have gotten in deeper I see garnets I am liking and the cut on the tourmaline I just got I do love. Idk, maybe I need to weed out what I don't think I will set and would feel less guilty. It's hard to find a larger size, it up's the price, and Spinel doesn't have every color I like. How careful do I need to be with Garnet? Or tourmaline? I know opal and pearls, and tanzanite are all not in the cards for me. For the most part for the size I want sapphires are out of my price range. Any opinions on the other 2 types of stones? Thank you Voce. I have learned a lot from you!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stop worrying so much about what you should be doing and just go do what you want to do. Can start by imagining one of them just sold. Imagine both scenarios. Whichever one makes you more disapointed is the one to buy.

voce

Ideal_Rock
That's the problem. The but. But spinel is more durable. So how wise is it to spend over 2k on a garnet? I have really tried to stick with Spinel and bezels, but as I have gotten in deeper I see garnets I am liking and the cut on the tourmaline I just got I do love. Idk, maybe I need to weed out what I don't think I will set and would feel less guilty. It's hard to find a larger size, it up's the price, and Spinel doesn't have every color I like. How careful do I need to be with Garnet? Or tourmaline? I know opal and pearls, and tanzanite are all not in the cards for me. For the most part for the size I want sapphires are out of my price range. Any opinions on the other 2 types of stones? Thank you Voce. I have learned a lot from you!

I don't think you need to be particularly careful with tourmaline and garnet. It's just that you'll see more facet wear if you wear them often.

Do you think about $/wear or a long-term value? What's your goal for your pieces/collection?

If it's something you love that you know you'll wear often, it's worth splurging. For myself, I've spent a considerable amount of money and have a collection of 80+ rings, so for me I'd be wearing any one ring (apart from my daily wear engagement ring) occasionally. So my garnet and tourmaline rings will last a long time and see less wear than if I wore them daily.

I think you should go with whichever one gives you joy. I personally like the oval cut more so than the cushion cut, and the pink calls to me more than mint green, but there are other people that are more captivated by the mint green color. I think that a 4 ct grossular green garnet is a rare size that you'll see less and less often as the material gets mined out. I'm assuming that the spinel is not as large, but there are more sources for spinel than sources for grossular green garnet.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you need to be particularly careful with tourmaline and garnet. It's just that you'll see more facet wear if you wear them often.

Do you think about $/wear or a long-term value? What's your goal for your pieces/collection?

If it's something you love that you know you'll wear often, it's worth splurging. For myself, I've spent a considerable amount of money and have a collection of 80+ rings, so for me I'd be wearing any one ring (apart from my daily wear engagement ring) occasionally. So my garnet and tourmaline rings will last a long time and see less wear than if I wore them daily.

I think you should go with whichever one gives you joy. I personally like the oval cut more so than the cushion cut, and the pink calls to me more than mint green, but there are other people that are more captivated by the mint green color. I think that a 4 ct grossular green garnet is a rare size that you'll see less and less often as the material gets mined out. I'm assuming that the spinel is not as large, but there are more sources for spinel than sources for grossular green garnet.

I won't wear them often. With Covid and having a underlying condition as well as my daughter having one too. We have been quarantined 90% of the time since mid March. Before Covid I still am a bit of a hermit. I don't wear my jewelry around the house. Just a gold wedding band, studs, and my watch.

To be honest I have quite a collection of bands, I have the diamond ring of my dreams, so I moved on to colored stones. I find them fascinating. I love just looking at them. I like coming up with designs for the settings for them. I don't wear them a lot. I don't wear my wedding rings. I don't wear my bands.

I suppose I like the chase and just looking at them. Knowing I will pass them down to my daughter and 4 granddaughters.

I think because I don't have a goal I have no doubt bought stones I shouldn't have. I am impatient and I haven't even received the stone I just purchased and I am on to the next. 80+ rings!!! Wow!!! I feel I have seen many of your rings, certainly not 80 though!!!! Wow!!! That's amazing!! Do you have a thread with them all? I would love to see them! I love how you like to put everything together and "play" with your gemstones. The Spinel is almost the same size as the garnet and a couple hundred dollars more. I can't remember who said it, but it gave me pause with regard to the inclusions in the spinel...

There is a cutter I just love. Next month she will be buying more rough. She has a particular cut that I love! However, I have no idea what gemstone the rough will be. Seems quite difficult to find large enough rough. So I think what if I let the mint garnet sell and then they can't find rough that is in my parameters. The spinel has been online for a long time so I'm not as worried about that one selling quickly.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Stop worrying so much about what you should be doing and just go do what you want to do. Can start by imagining one of them just sold. Imagine both scenarios. Whichever one makes you more disapointed is the one to buy.

qubitasaurus- you are so right! As long as I wouldn't wreck the mint garnet- I would go that route! I over think things- can you tell? Thanks for the nudge! I used to decide things immediately, I miss that girl!!!!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pale sapphire from him (your spinel guy) like that and about your price range. Portugeuse-cut pavilion that hides giant fingerprint inclusions all around the periphery (none under the table). Looks glorious directly under overhead light and on full-on cloudy days but not at other times. It's a "clever" cut and my enthusiasm has waned a bit. Also: garnet is not the best choice for a ring, imo.
LilAlex - thank you for sharing that with me and everyone else. That does steer me away from this particular spinel.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
qubitasaurus- you are so right! As long as I wouldn't wreck the mint garnet- I would go that route! I over think things- can you tell? Thanks for the nudge! I used to decide things immediately, I miss that girl!!!!

Have you wrecked any of the preceeding tourmalines or garnets you already own? And do you plan to wear this as an every day ring?

If either answer is yes, then I agree it could be an issue.

Otherwise even soft stones are quite hardy. You can halo it to protect it and be relatively confident.

On the flip side any stone can break. Lots of stories of people here totalling their spinels.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Have you wrecked any of the preceeding tourmalines or garnets you already own? And do you plan to wear this as an every day ring?

If either answer is yes, then I agree it could be an issue.

Otherwise even soft stones are quite hardy. You can halo it to protect it and be relatively confident.

On the flip side any stone can break. Lots of stories of people here totalling their spinels.

None of those stones have been set. I will do bezels and halos with all of them to play it safe.

I agree, even diamonds can chip. I won't be wearing them even close to on a daily basis. Occasionally at best. Thanks again:)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I love them both! And have a special place in my heart for mint garnets. That said, spinel has great durability if it’s going to become a ring!

Thank you JackTrip. When I first watched the video of the mint garnet I wasn't fond of the idea that there was green in the background. In the second part of the video when it's laying on the white gem holder, I thought wow, it's not the green in the background- it's that gorgeous stone!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results