shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding on three MRBs

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sensing the hesitation over the 2K price difference between the 2.01E & 2.14H. The JA gemologist gave you their opinion of all three stones IRL. I think they gave you good observational information. I also would not like that black crystal on the 2.14 table, however it is a VS1 and is most likely eye clean. Given what the JA gemologist reported to you and our own diamond experts here (@DejaWiz and @Kim N ) and others, it really comes down to what YOU think. Good luck and good for you for putting in the time and effort for this important purchase.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
The 2.01 would be my choice, as well.

I’m sensing the hesitation over the 2K price difference between the 2.01E & 2.14H. The JA gemologist gave you their opinion of all three stones IRL. I think they gave you good observational information. I also would not like that black crystal on the 2.14 table, however it is a VS1 and is most likely eye clean. Given what the JA gemologist reported to you and our own diamond experts here (@DejaWiz and @Kim N ) and others, it really comes down to what YOU think. Good luck and good for you for putting in the time and effort for this important purchase.

Thanks Dejawiz, Bonfire, and everyone else who gave me input. :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kim. Do you mind explaining why and is it by a far margin? The extra money for the 2.01 considering the upcoming wedding expenses is what makes me ask.

I like that it's the whitest by a fair amount; there's no issue with the pavilion angle; and it appears to my eye to be more precisely cut than the 2.34.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Just received the ideal scope all. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

imo, it looks like a good IS with few areas of less light return under the table. However, from what I’ve learned through PS, is that we should compare light return based on the center of the stone. Stone appears slightly angled but looks like a great image overall.

Let me know what you diamond lovers think :).

IMG_8936.png

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
I'd say go with your gut feeling. If the first one is calling your name, maybe that slight misalignment won't be a dealbreaker.

Would a misalignment such as the one seen here noticeably impact the stone’s performance? I assume the overall goal is to get as close to the perfect hearts and arrows which would indicate optical symmetry. (Not sure if there are signs of painting/digging here - can we tell from an IS image?)

Btw, thanks for your patience as I continue my learning :).

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just received the ideal scope all. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

imo, it looks like a good IS with few areas of less light return under the table. However, from what I’ve learned through PS, is that we should compare light return based on the center of the stone. Stone appears slightly angled but looks like a great image overall.

Let me know what you diamond lovers think :).

IMG_8936.png

The diamond is slightly tilted out of alignment with the Ideal-Scope during that photo, so the results are ever so slightly skewed.
It's fine - great Ideal-Scope result to my eyes!

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
The diamond is slightly tilted out of alignment with the Ideal-Scope during that photo, so the results are ever so slightly skewed.
It's fine - great Ideal-Scope result to my eyes!

Awesome, thanks for the response DejaWiz. That’s definitely reassuring to know someone else sees a slight tilt potentially affecting the view.

Next thing is to check the stone with ASET. Fun fun :).

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome, thanks for the response DejaWiz. That’s definitely reassuring to know someone else sees a slight tilt potentially affecting the view.

Next thing is to check the stone with ASET. Fun fun :).

The Ideal-Scope image looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing the ASET.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Here is the ASET everyone.

Is this painting I see near the girdle heading towards the table, or is some degree of weak light return normal in those areas?

Let me know what you all think.

IMG_8964.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8966.jpeg
    IMG_8966.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8968.jpeg
    IMG_8968.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 9

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Is this painting I see near the girdle heading towards the table, or is some degree of weak light return normal in those areas?

IMG_8964.jpeg

Perfectly normal - great ASET result!

nichoesq

Rough_Rock

IMG_8964.jpeg

Finally, here are the hearts image I attempted to capture.

Out of curiosity, if a stone is cut to extreme precision, will the hearts be easily visible at many angles through the H&A scope?

Attachments

• IMG_8973.jpeg
    IMG_8973.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8974.jpeg
    IMG_8974.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 12

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_8964.jpeg

The ASET images look great. There is a minor amount of crown painting, so just assess the diamond thoroughly in all your usual lighting environments to make sure it performs to your liking.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to point out that you absolutely cannot see a VS1 level inclusion with the naked eye. Maybe one in a million times. So I don’t think that should be a consideration when weighing your options.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
The ASET images look great. There is a minor amount of crown painting, so just assess the diamond thoroughly in all your usual lighting environments to make sure it performs to your liking.

Thanks Kim N. That’s reassuring :)

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
I just want to point out that you absolutely cannot see a VS1 level inclusion with the naked eye. Maybe one in a million times. So I don’t think that should be a consideration when weighing your options.

Thanks Dreamer_D. Although I’d rather have no black inclusions under the table, I’m fine knowing that it’ll most likely be eye clean. It appears eye clean to me but who knows, my sight may be going lol.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

You don't think the backlighting is a bit overbright, Kim?
I do see what appears to align with 2-3° crown painting,but I merely chalked it up to backlighting intensity.
Help me please - looking for your expertise. :)

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
You don't think the backlighting is a bit overbright, Kim?
I do see what appears to align with 2-3° crown painting,but I merely chalked it up to backlighting intensity.
Help me please - looking for your expertise. :)

Here is one with the backlight turned all the way down for reference. Is the painting indicated by the length and green of the v at the girdle? Also I would think that the areas in between the arrows should be white but here it appears greenish. I agree I see crown painting maybe even as high as 4 degrees (probably not 4 degrees considering IS imaging results, maybe falls between 3-4 degree).

What makes me feel better is the stone’s carat weight of 2.14 tends to indicate the intent behind the painting probably wasn’t to achieve a certain carat weight but rather to fine tune the stone considering the low degree of crown only painting.

But Kim N and DejaWiz, let me know what you think. Hmmm….

IMG_8988.jpeg

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here is one with the backlight turned all the way down for reference. Is the painting indicated by the length and green of the v at the girdle? Also I would think that the areas in between the arrows should be white but here it appears greenish. I agree I see crown painting maybe even as high as 4 degrees (probably not 4 degrees considering IS imaging results, maybe falls between 3-4 degree).

What makes me feel better is that the stone’s carat weight of 2.14 which indicates to me that the intent behind the painting wasn’t to make the 2 carat threshold but maybe to fine tune the stone considering the low degree of crown only painting.

But Kim N and DejaWiz, let me know what you think. Hmmm….

IMG_8988.jpeg

Here are some crown painting reference images from the PriceScope educational section:

Screenshot_20240224-100614-076.png

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Here are some crown painting reference images from the PriceScope educational section:

Thanks DejaWiz! Are there certain traits I should be watching out for that may indicate adverse effects of the painting?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Even with the backlight turned down in nichoesq's later post, the stone still seems to show some painting. What I don't fully understand is why the Ideal-Scope image doesn't seem to match with the images in this chart. Any thoughts?

image014-jpg.553950

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DejaWiz! Are there certain traits I should be watching out for that may indicate adverse effects of the painting?

Karl_K describes the effects of painting in this post.

I will add that I have one of Whiteflash's older painted A Cut Above diamonds, and I love it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will add that I have one of Whiteflash's older painted A Cut Above diamonds, and I love it.
Different combos are effected more than others by mild painting digging.
The amount of crown painting on those ACAs would have a devastating effect on shallower or steeper crowned stones instead of being relatively mild.
The star% or large table% can also change the effect from relatively mild to more so.
Basically the more you get away from modern tolk, 40.8/34.5 the more negative effect from any given amount of painting/digging.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different combos are effected more than others by mild painting digging.
The amount of crown painting on those ACAs would have a devastating effect on shallower or steeper crowned stones instead of being relatively mild.
The star% or large table% can also change the effect from relatively mild to more so.
Basically the more you get away from modern tolk, 40.8/34.5 the more negative effect from any given amount of painting/digging.

That's very helpful to know, Karl.

Do you have any thoughts on the Ideal-Scope and ASET images that the OP posted on this page?

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Even with the backlight turned down in nichoesq's later post, the stone still seems to show some painting. What I don't fully understand is why the Ideal-Scope image doesn't seem to match with the images in this chart. Any thoughts?

image014-jpg.553950

Kim N, I’ve attached an IS taken myself, not from the vendor. This appears to be more in line with the chart. Hope this sheds more light.

EDIT: I’ve looked back at the vendor’s IS and it actually appears to be comparable to the IS I took below. The Vs near the girdle and between the arrows are pink not transparent (I.e., white), which I would believe is weak light return and in turn is showing up greenish in the ASET.

IMG_8985.jpeg

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's very helpful to know, Karl.

Do you have any thoughts on the Ideal-Scope and ASET images that the OP posted on this page?

Some on the edge some just a bit over what I consider not significant.
If the CA is under 35 should be fine.
As a quick and dirty check.
On IS if the area at the end of the stars beginning of uppers is white its generally ok. Check the image charts above to read the matching ASET for that.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Some on the edge some just a bit over what I consider not significant.
If the CA is under 35 should be fine.
As a quick and dirty check.
On IS if the area at the end of the stars beginning of uppers is white its generally ok. Check the image charts above to read the matching ASET for that.

Karl K, so generally what would grade this stone? Trying to gauge whether this could be a top performer comparable to a super ideal (never seen a super ideal in my life so I ask lol).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl K, so generally what would grade this stone? Trying to gauge whether this could be a top performer comparable to a super ideal (never seen a super ideal in my life so I ask lol).
My opinion...
Its a well cut stone, its time to view it in all kinds of lighting conditions and enjoy the light show.
That will tell you more than any answer I have.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Anyone know if it’s normal for upgrades through James Allen to take around 6-8 weeks? Supposedly that is the current wait time, and i’m a bit shocked.

Additionally, does the JA warranty for one time free ring resizing, within a year of purchase, not apply to cover resizing of the ring’s prongs and subsequent setting of an upgrade diamond free of charge? According to JA’s Q&A, it states:

“We will resize your ring once for free within the first year of your purchase, including free return shipping worldwide . . . During the resize process small amounts of metal will be added or removed to increase or decrease the size as needed.“

In fact, it appears the service for free diamond setting is triggered by the purchase of a JA engagement ring and a loose diamond. The JA’s Q&A states:

“If I purchase an engagement ring and a loose diamond, do I have to pay extra to have the diamond set into the ring? Of course not!“

Here, the above information appears to suggest that the ring resizing and the setting of the upgrade stone should be free of charge (or am I mistaken). The engagement ring and diamond, i.e., the new upgrade diamond, was purchased from JA and therefore based on the above I should not “have to pay extra to have the diamond set into the ring[.]” Further, the JA engagement ring was purchased less than a year ago and should fall within the one year period for free ring resizing, which would involve “small amounts of metal [to be] added . . . to increase . . . the size as needed.” Wouldn’t the prongs be considered part of the ring - if it was solely referring to the shank, wouldn’t it be mentioned as such?

Based on the above, or any other information on JA’s website, let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results