shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding between two JA diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh sorry I thkught total budget was 2400. I will look for larger stones for you later. I will.look.at.Enchanted.Diamonds.instead of JA.

windsurferwife

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1455144925|3989540 said:
Oh sorry I thkught total budget was 2400. I will look for larger stones for you later. I will.look.at.Enchanted.Diamonds.instead of JA.

Gypsy, Thank you! Feel free to look at JA still if you feel they are a better option. I likely won't chat online with JA unless I am ready to actually order since they are being so grumpy with me (but I should not need to talk to them at this point anyway since they have the close up videos of all their stones). ; )

windsurferwife

Rough_Rock
E B|1455143342|3989518 said:
Ugh, I'm sorry about JA being nasty with you. Hopefully GOG can find you the perfect combo! (Oh, and feel free to share your options!)

GOG options : ) It does sounds like their setting price may come in higher than JAs setting price, which may mean that GOG could be out of budget for the same size stone/setting. The stones are about $2500 each with the "I" being slightly less.

.70 E VS2 (do not like the facets on this one as well)
0_61.jpg

.70 G VS1 (5.10x5.07)
0_62.jpg

.70 G VS2 (5.23x5.16)
0_63.jpg

.70 I VVS2 (5.46x5.15)
0_64.jpg

Here is an image of the one I have on hold with JA:

.70 D SI (5.06x4.99) $1580
img_32.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
windsurferwife|1455151784|3989574 said:
GOG options : ) It does sounds like their setting price may come in higher than JAs setting price, which may mean that GOG could be out of budget for the same size stone/setting. The stones are about $2500 each with the "I" being slightly less.

Are these diamonds they have in-store or can they bring them in? If they can, my opinion: the center two (the last looks pretty, but it's an I) and maybe the one from James Allen, if they can get it. See if they can make a quick comparison video and/or have Jon look and recommend. But I'd wait and make sure the setting price isn't out of budget first.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

windsurferwife

Rough_Rock
E B|1455152525|3989575 said:
windsurferwife|1455151784|3989574 said:

Are these diamonds they have in-store or can they bring them in? If they can, my opinion: the center two (the last looks pretty, but it's an I) and maybe the one from James Allen, if they can get it. See if they can make a quick comparison video and/or have Jon look and recommend. But I'd wait and make sure the setting price isn't out of budget first.

Unfortunately, these are not in-store. The video would take a couple days. I'm hoping they will have a setting price tomorrow. They recommended a split prong instead of the single prong also. Wish GOG had a refund policy for their settings, like JA. So tough. I probably will never go to a mall store again though after what I have learned through this whole experience. Those places never even mentioned specs or GIA/AGS certificate. I am sure I was probably ripped off back then. Lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
windsurferwife|1455154075|3989584 said:
Gypsy|1455153162|3989580 said:
At JA I REALLY like this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.80-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-814117 5.4mm

And it's really the only one worth looking at. So just buy it IMO, with the setting you want.

Gypsy, it is beautiful. Any concern about the "I" tinting it yellow? Everything else looks perfect though!

No, not in that size. By the time it's set the prongs will cover so much of the profile. One of my closest friends has a J in a little over a carat and NO ONE ever thinks it's a J. People always think it's an H at lowest. And hers is very similar to this one.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Here's how I explain color:

ON COLOR:

It is important to remember is that color is graded FACE DOWN. Where there is NO light return. Not face up where there is light return and refraction. You wear diamonds set. FACE UP.

Within one color grade, even the labs can't agree on the color grades of stones and something could be a "high" H or a "low" E. So... no. Not really. Within 2 color grades it is hard. Not impossible. But very hard. And it gets harder once set.
This is how I think of it.

Ever gotten one of those HUGE paint fan decks? Where there are literally 100s of colors of whites? And when they are RIGHT next to each other you can TOTALLY tell that one is bluer/colder and one is a bit warmer and which one is one is TOTALLY warmer. One there's one that's slightly greener. One that's slightly pinker? But really. They are all white?

Then you pick one after agonizing over this white or that white and when it's on the walls and people are like: Oh. You painted again. And it's STILL white. Great.

And you're all... BUT it's BLUE white. Or it's a WARM white now. It used to be ____ white. It's TOTALLY different.

It's like that. You are talking about shades of white. D is colder... J is warmer. But it's all white.

YES. If you have an accurately graded F and an H THAT HAVE THE SAME PERFORMANCE you are going to be able to tell them apart when you compare them. Just like you would be able to tell if you painted your walls a warm white, but painted the crown molding a cold/straight white. But both are STILL white.

I want you notice all the qualifiers thought. I'm talking about stones with the SAME performance. An ideal H will out white an F that has compromised light performance from a poor cut.

NOTHING impacts the appearance of a diamond as much as cut. CUT is king.

You want the shinest whitest and brightest diamond out there: Cut is King. No other factor, not color or clarity or anything else impacts how white bright an shiny a stone is.

windsurferwife

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gypsy and E B for going to all that trouble to help me out with this. I truly appreciate it! Your expertise and guidance have been invaluable during this whole process. I just placed the order for the .80ct I stone from JA. :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good! When you get the ring, I hope you come back and post some pictures. And I hope you love it .

windsurferwife

Rough_Rock
I certainly will! I think it will be about 3-4 weeks before it comes in. Can't wait! :)

windsurferwife

Rough_Rock
Thank you all again for your help! My ring finally arrived this morning (forgive the horrible photo, I could not capture the brilliance well with my phone)! The centerstone does not appear yellow at all in person and matches well with the G-H melee side stones. ; )

fullsizerender_2_19.jpg

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhhh it's beautiful - the stone and setting!!!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness it's absolutely stunning!!! What a stone, you picked a gorgeous one! The set looks beautiful on you. I hope you post more photos....maybe start a SMTB thread. :naughty:

windsurferwife

Rough_Rock
Downey, Thank you! I had such a difficult time choosing a setting!

JDDN, I actually picked some horrible stones at first. Gypsy and EB really helped me out. Gypsy actually selected the one I ended up with. I am so thankful! They saved me from buying a "dead-looking" poorly cut stone. ; )

Side view of the setting.

img_1767_1.jpg

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty!!! :appl: :appl: :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, thanks so much for the feel good follow up. I needed that.

I am so happy you are happy with your ring. The set looks great on you and that stone is very beautiful.

Wear it in the best of health!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results