shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help - Cut on the Radiant Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Doug

Rough_Rock
I am having trouble getting a clear idea of how to acess cut on radiant diamonds.

Should you follow the AGA guidelines on the following website?
http://www.diamondfile.com/fancy-shaped-diamond-tutorial.htm or www.gemappraisers.com/chrt3.htm (same chart on both pages)
- depth and table between 62 and 65

Or should you fudge their numbers a bit?
I have been told (don''t know if it is right) that you want the Depth % and Table % to be fairly close to each other. In addition you want them to be in the range between 68 and 72 percent. The girdle should be around a medium and you want a length to width ratio around 1.5 (I like around 1.3).

Or is there no real clear cut range?

Do crown height (or angle) and pavilion depth (or angle) factor in? - I was told that since there is a variance in the lenght/width ratio it throws these measurements off between stones.

Can a radiant stone be analyzed with idealscope/lightscope or is that only for round stones? If it can is it an effective way to acess cut?

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
confused.gif

Thanks

Doug

Rough_Rock
I am ready to purchasing a stone (radiant) and feel I understand the four Cs except for cut - everyone seems to have their own idea of ideal. What range should I feel comfortable with and what should I worry about? I have been told to keep depth and table %'s within 68 to 72 or I have been told to keep them between 62 and 65. I have also been told to go with more square or go with more rectangular - is this merely a personal preference?

Or does it just come down to looking at the stone and the dark spots (not inclusions but spots that don't reflect back like the bowtie effect in the marquise)?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

If anyone can help - Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Doug, the AGA Emerald Cut & Radiant Cut class charts are your best bet for pointing you in the direction of what is usually the greater and lesser of radiant cut proportions.

They will give you an idea of where different cuts fall, but you must bear in mind that fancy shapes will often "break the rules". They, more than any other, have to be seen to be appreciated.

Radiant cuts are often poorly cut. The AGA chart will help you weed out the worst, and concentrate on the best. Sometimes it helps to lay out the stones you're looking at on a spreadsheet, comparing all the specs.

You might consider buying an IdealScope ($25) as well. This is a great "equalizer" for a layperson, enabling them to see firsthand the difference in light return between different stones. It is extremely objective. You can purchase one from the same fellow that created the AGA Cut Class Charts (Dave Atlas), or through the menu above.

Doug

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help Richard. I think I am ready to buy a stone. Will probably get an idealscope to help me decide.

Doug

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi,
I am in the process of purchasing a radiant cut diamond myself.
At first I had my eye on a princess cut diamond- 1.53 E VSI Depth 74.4, Table- 69, Girth Ex.Thin to Thick, good polish and symmetry, Measurements- 6.8x6.13, no culet or fluo. The purchasing price was $8000, already set in an 18 kt. gold setting with five rounds on each side (total 1.78 carats).
I thought I was getting great deal. But I really didn't like the setting, I want platinum. The person selling the ring said that if I removed the diamond, he would not accept it for return.
So I thought about it and realized that if I had a choice, I would rather have a radiant cut. It is more faceted and you don't have to worry about the corners because they are already cut. And not that many people have a radiant cut stone.
So, I chose the following stone-
D VS1 1.37ct.
Depth- 59.8, Table- 67, Girdle- thin to md.
polish and symmetry-good, no culet, no flou.
Measurements- 6.69x6.59 (ratio is 1.015)
Price- $7529 Loose
I prefer a more square stone. I think more square or rectangular is a matter of preference.
I tried to use the aga guidelines, but in all honesty, it is impossible to find an ideal radiant. The only other stone I found was F VS1 Depth- 63.2, Table-65, for $6999, but it was sold.
I know that the stone I am purchasing is not ideal, but I figure that since it's almost impossible to find one, it doesn't really matter.
My point is, try to get one as close to ideal as you can afford and FIND! And if you can't, don't worry. It will sparkle just as nice( in the right light of course) as anyone else's, and no one will know the difference!
Good luck hunting!

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results