shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help comparing Diamonds

Shayne808

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone I have been looking extensively into lab-created diamonds and was wondering if anyone could help me out. The two sites I have been looking at the most is James Allen and Brilliant Earth. My price range is below 10,000$. I was hoping to get a ring that was above a 1.7c. The question I am asking is do you folks have any knowledge on the price of these diamonds and what I should be looking at. I have read that qualities below a G is avoided and certain types of grading tend to be more lenient.

These are a couple diamonds I have been comparing.

Smaller High quality
or

larger With worse Clarity (cheapest)
or

High price but bigger and better

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People on here have complained about BE’s poor customer service and slow to refund money. You may want to look at those threads. I don’t consider the JA VS1 “poor clarity”. Is that your only hesitation about that diamond? The Yadav diamond is a sample image so I can’t consider it at all.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get a 2ct in your budget from August Vintage. I have not purchased from him, but if you do according to his site you get:
Macro photography
360 videos
Professional ASET analysis (for light performance).
Professionally taken symmetry images (Hearts & Arrows).
Ideal Scope analysis for light leakage.
Microscopic analysis of clarity for features not mentioned on lab reports (open inclusions, graining, etc.).
Gemchron EOS Colorimeter Testing
Sarin Analysis
Confirms AGS Ideal Light Performance
Confirms AGS Ideal Cut Grade
Confirms GIA Ex Cut Grade
Confirms GIA Ex Symmetry Grade
Computer Ray Trace Analysis

This takes a lot of the guesswork out of getting an excellent diamond.

Shayne808

Rough_Rock
You can get a 2ct in your budget from August Vintage. I have not purchased from him, but if you do according to his site you get:
Macro photography
360 videos
Microscopic analysis of clarity for features not mentioned on lab reports (open inclusions, graining, etc.).
Sarin Analysis

Thank you for the information, I was looking at August Vintage but they don't fully complete the ring for me, I was hoping to buy the diamond from a place that could also set the ring like Yadav. I will ask Yadav for their actual report. But I was wondering why would that one you sent me from August Vintage cost more than the diamond from Yadav, I understand it is 0.02 carats bigger but idk if that justifies a 1000$ increase.

If anyone else has good recommendation please let me know.

Shayne808

Rough_Rock
Macro photography
360 videos
Sarin Analysis

I have narrowed It down to these two diamonds. The MAIN difference is that one is an Ideal cut and the other is an excellent cut. I am not sure how much of a visible difference this is.

or

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I would go with the AV stone. I think the price difference is worth the additional images / analysis, ideal cut grade, smaller table (my personal preference - yours may be different) and girdle thickness of med vs med - slightly thick (personal preference). Of course, it is the performance not the report that matters so I would ask for photos and videos of both since you have narrowed it down to just these two. Tagging @OoohShiny as she is more knowledgeable than me.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the information, I was looking at August Vintage but they don't fully complete the ring for me, I was hoping to buy the diamond from a place that could also set the ring like Yadav. I will ask Yadav for their actual report. But I was wondering why would that one you sent me from August Vintage cost more than the diamond from Yadav, I understand it is 0.02 carats bigger but idk if that justifies a 1000$ increase.

If anyone else has good recommendation please let me know.

As @kgizo detailed above, AV/Jon/Rhino carries out a whole heap of extra checks on the stones he sells, which of course takes time - which costs money.

Is the value of this extra work worth $1k of extra cost to the buyer? That is for the buyer to decide - as with all markets, there are a range of options available that each have advantages and disadvantages that will differ for each buyer :)

My understanding is that Jon/AV can provide settings, though - may I ask if you've checked with him to confirm?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I would go with the AV stone. I think the price difference is worth the additional images / analysis, ideal cut grade, smaller table (my personal preference - yours may be different) and girdle thickness of med vs med - slightly thick (personal preference). Of course, it is the performance not the report that matters so I would ask for photos and videos of both since you have narrowed it down to just these two. Tagging @OoohShiny as she is more knowledgeable than me.

I am a male of the species ;)) :D but happy to help either way! :)

As mentioned, pics and videos of each stone would aid assessment - I'm not sure if Yadav can provide ASETscope images to help analyse the cut quality/accuracy but AV should be able to. (I'm not sure if AV would need to bring the stone in for assessment, which would likely cost a small amount of money, so it's worth checking.)

I am a bit of a colour and clarity freak :D so the F appeals to me, but the smaller table and ability to get enhanced assessment through AV is also calling to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @kgizo detailed above, AV/Jon/Rhino carries out a whole heap of extra checks on the stones he sells, which of course takes time - which costs money.

Is the value of this extra work worth $1k of extra cost to the buyer? That is for the buyer to decide - as with all markets, there are a range of options available that each have advantages and disadvantages that will differ for each buyer :)

My understanding is that Jon/AV can provide settings, though - may I ask if you've checked with him to confirm?

I can confirm he does settings too! I would go with him for both stone and setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results