shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing a yellow diamond!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
It comes in the mail today! I even paid UPS a small fee to make sure it would be delivered within a very specific time window (2-4 pm) so I could make sure to be home. They won't let me pick it up at the facility if I'm not there at delivery, and I don't want to miss it. I can't wait!

Re: settings, if the diamond is everything I hope for, I plan to go to my preferred jeweler this very afternoon and see what they think. I might ask for something custom based on their advice, but honestly, I'm not sure how you can go wrong with the classics. Like the Tiffany Soleste:

tiffany-soleste-pear-30689224_.jpg

Or the split shank I posted earlier in the thread. I think halos can make smaller stones look larger, and hopefully white pave diamonds plus white gold would really make the yellow pop.

I'll post pics when the stone arrives!!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
It's here, it's here!!

And it's so much more beautiful in person than I could ever have thought it would be...

img_1391_0.jpg

img_1392.jpg

TBH, I'm regretting not having Leibish do the setting, too. I took the stone to my local jeweler, who was really astonished at how pure the color is. Unfortunately, since pears aren't very popular, there are fewer options setting-wise, and it would cost more than I expected to do a custom job. Depending on what he turns up, I might settle for a Soleste-style setting instead of my original split shank idea. But just so long as this stone is the center of attention, that's fine by me!

I've named her Marilyn :love:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's perrrrrttttttyyyyy!!!! :dance: can't wait to see her once she's done!!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Like owning bit of sunshine itself !

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Vogue|1486087513|4123554 said:
It's here, it's here!!

And it's so much more beautiful in person than I could ever have thought it would be...

img_1391_0.jpg

img_1392.jpg

TBH, I'm regretting not having Leibish do the setting, too. I took the stone to my local jeweler, who was really astonished at how pure the color is. Unfortunately, since pears aren't very popular, there are fewer options setting-wise, and it would cost more than I expected to do a custom job. Depending on what he turns up, I might settle for a Soleste-style setting instead of my original split shank idea. But just so long as this stone is the center of attention, that's fine by me!

I've named her Marilyn :love:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: Vogue, the color is divine! I love it so much! I think combining two Tiffany Soleste would be lovely- the haloed pear Soleste you suggested, while incorporating the subtle split shank of double haloed Soleste cushions. Tiny colorless melee (≤0.005 ct each halo stone and ≤0.02 ct each shank stone) would add wonderful contrast to the rich, pure canary yellow of your stone. It's too bad we can't see how she performs, but maybe consider single cuts for a more subdued sparkle to let your pear really be the star (Hehe, just like the sun, everything will be around Marilyn!).

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Finally, an update--the CADs are in! What do you think of Marilyn's red carpet gown?

1_496.jpg

5_75.jpg

3_195.jpg

6_41.jpg

Thoughts? On first glance, I'm really happy. The master jeweler at the family-run store suggested matching yellow diamonds on the shank, which inspired me to ask for yellows on the...head? whatever you call it...as well.

Skhii, we did look at the halo melee diamonds in the proportions you suggested, but I guess you'd say it was a little too tasteful for me, so we went for 0.015. We kept the side stones at 0.02, which I think looks fab.

The only changes I might ask for right now:

1) Different prongs for the yellow diamond--those round ones just look a little distracting to me, though maybe it would be less noticeable in person when the ring is much smaller. I don't know what would look better, though; claws, maybe? (I *am* pleased with the V-prong that protects the tip. Maybe I'm overthinking this.)

2) I'm also wondering if there should be one more colorless diamond beneath the yellow on the shank. Something about it seems a little unbalanced to me. However, I don't want the diamonds to go too far down the shank, so I wouldn't want any more than two sitting there. :think:

Observations? Suggestions?

Also, I'm cracking up at how the diamond seems to have a little frowny face in the first picture. Sorry, now you can't un-see it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo had metal around the outside, you see there, like a ribbon.... The white melee in the band does not have that same ribbon. The melee styles do not match. I find that distracting. I like the way the halo is in the head as it emphasizes the she of the pear, if ask them to do the same melee style for the shank melee to. The melee also seems a tad bulky. I might as for slightly smaller melee.

The yellow in the slit of the shank seems unnecessary and breaks up the look in a way I don't think you need. Keep some yellow diamond detail under the halo but I'd remove the side detail.

I think I'd price permitting you could put another halo in the of yellow gold and yellow diamond around the stone it might hide the prongs and make the diamond pop, but that's a style ring.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I don't think the yellow side stones will be as distracting as they look in the rendering. I know they look huge in the pictures, but here's what the actual size of them will be in the wax model:

img_1404.jpg

They'd be the round blue dots at the end of the paves--the jeweler added one additional colorless diamond after I saw the wax.

Here's how it will appear on my finger:

img_1402.jpg

Ugh, I don't know why my photos always show up sideways.

I will ask the jeweler about making the melee style consistent (I didn't even notice that, good call), and also about trying slightly smaller stones!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size isn't what is distracting it's the fact the diamonds are breaking up the shank. They also not being bezeled din yellow gold make me wonder just how noticeable they would even be. Which now that I think about it the diamond in the under gallery should be bezeled in yellow gold, too.

I just think it's getting busy with the side diamonds.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely! What a beautiful setting!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
The jeweler is going to make the halo and shank melees consistent, as well as add an additional colorless diamond to each side of the shank. I did think long and hard about it over the last day, and I'm keeping the shank yellows. They may not look exactly seamless, but they jumped out and thrilled me the moment I saw the CAD.

5cdbe30f2c49f4941d0e8a71d2c60385.jpg

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Aesthetically, I think a setting looks better if the stone is set low so that the girdle is barely above the halo (just enough to read the inscription). However, since pears are shallow, you would be compromising the view of the gorgeous color from the side. I would tilt the halo a bit downward as well. I like claw prongs instead of rounded ones and cut down u pave.
What sizes are the colorless melee in the split and the one below the yellow diamond? What size are the round yellow diamonds? Will you be bezeling the yellow diamonds in 18k yellow gold? Let us know what you decide to do about the size of the melee.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1485820765|4122008 said:
GIA effectively do not grade the even-ness of of colour distribution. They have a line item but rarely ever ding even yucky stones.

I challenge anyone to find a fancy stone that is given GIA uneven - you will be amazed.
This is my own staff training grading scale. I should have put copyright on it.

Here ya go Garry! UNEVEN FANCY YELLOW 8 main cushion with video:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?by_fancy_color=true&carat_min=8.18&shape=Cushion#diamond=C1214-854185280

It's a honker 12c!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Vogue your yellow pear is phenomenal and the setting is really lovely!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Skhii|1487812990|4132376 said:
What sizes are the colorless melee in the split and the one below the yellow diamond? What size are the round yellow diamonds? Will you be bezeling the yellow diamonds in 18k yellow gold? Let us know what you decide to do about the size of the melee.

Here's what the jeweler sent me earlier this afternoon:

3_15.png

Haven't heard from him back about the yellow gold bezels. If he thinks it would make a major difference, I'll go with it. Re: the size of the melee, he said, "I can remake the halo with smaller stones if you like but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. That change is so microscopic that in real life it would mostly only look a little bit less shiny. (Birds might not want to eat your finger any more!)"

FTR, when I talked about the design, I told him I wanted something so insanely sparkly that birds would see it from mid-air, swoop down, and try to take off my finger :D

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
ariel144|1487816504|4132405 said:
GIA effectively do not grade the even-ness of of colour distribution. They have a line item but rarely ever ding even yucky stones.

I challenge anyone to find a fancy stone that is given GIA uneven - you will be amazed.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?by_fancy_color=true&carat_min=8.18&shape=Cushion#diamond=C1214-854185280

It's a honker 12c!

I'd still take it :lol:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I really like your setting and I would keep the yellow accent diamonds, too. although I would probably have a fine gold bezel around all of them. I'm glad you added an extra diamond on the shank as I felt it needed more there. Can't wait to see it finished!!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Vogue|1487817268|4132410 said:
Skhii|1487812990|4132376 said:

Here's what the jeweler sent me earlier this afternoon:

3_15.png

Haven't heard from him back about the yellow gold bezels. If he thinks it would make a major difference, I'll go with it. Re: the size of the melee, he said, "I can remake the halo with smaller stones if you like but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. That change is so microscopic that in real life it would mostly only look a little bit less shiny. (Birds might not want to eat your finger any more!)"

FTR, when I talked about the design, I told him I wanted something so insanely sparkly that birds would see it from mid-air, swoop down, and try to take off my finger :D

Haha, I understand. I can't wait to see your ring!! :sun:

ariel144|1487816504|4132405 said:

It's a honker 12c!

Thanks for sharing!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Updated CADs. I decided to pony up for the yellow gold bezels, but we got rid of the metal ribbon around the halo. It just wasn't the look I wanted. After discussion, we also decided against claw prongs.

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

Assuming the finished product looks as good as the renderings, I think I'm going to be very pleased. It might be a little unusual, but that's what I like about it--it has unique touches that set it apart from most rings. Which I guess is the whole point of going custom!

Now I just have to be prepared to wait... :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results