shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing 1 Carat H&A diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vancityguy

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m from Vancouver, Canada and have been lurking on the forums trying to learn as much as possible for the last couple weeks. I''m a newbie and used to think Cut meant if it was round or square but since have learned it has the greatest impact on appearance.

Since I''ve educated my gf a bit (my mistake), she now "wants" a 1 Carat Hearts & Arrows F VS2 round brilliant diamond or higher and she''s flexible about the setting. I checked out local stores and the best that I could find have been GIA ex/ex/ex diamonds. I seem to get conflicting info locally. For example, I was told GIA ex/ex/ex implies Hearts & Arrows and that AGS wasn''t stricter than GIA. My current budget for the stone is around $9000 USD.

Looking online, I''ve found greater variety and have been focusing on AGS 0/0/0 diamonds from James Allen and WhiteFlash.

1.02 E VS2 - Actual diamond image looks like there are lots of specks.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1201098.asp

1.08 F VS2 - Some dark marks on the right side crown of actual diamond image.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193786.asp

1.006 F VS2 ACA - I noticed the AGS report says "Surface grain line is not shown". What does that mean?
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1466984

Locally for about the same price, I could get a GIA ex/ex/ex F VS1 Depth 60 / Table 58 or for less money an E VS2 Depth 62.8 / Table 58. I think the advantage of dealing locally is there is comfort if there are any problems with adjusting or fixing the settings.

I''m hoping to make a decision by next week at the latest so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA ex cut grade includes some combination of crown and pavilion angles which results in light leakage, so do not depend on that grade or you may be disappointed. Use the HCA to discard bad performers, any which scores below 2. Then, if possible, view them with an Idealscope.

vancityguy

Rough_Rock
Does this mean you would avoid the GIA diamonds and just stick with AGS ones?

Any thoughts on whether the James Allen or WhiteFlash ones would be good choices?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.006 F is the most tightly cut, followed by the 1.02 E. Don't worry anything about specks or surface graining... just ask if it is eye-clean. Very, extremely, highly unlikely that a VS2 is not eye-clean.

It's basically a toss up between the two. I would go with the company that has the setting you like.

GIA XXX does not imply hearts and arrows.

vancityguy

Rough_Rock
If the 1.006 F VS2 is the most tightly cut, does that mean it will sparkle and perform better than the E VS2 or would it be tough to differentiate?

I''ll call as suggested to ask if they are "eye clean" tomorrow. It''s a bit of a toss up. It seems I could get more of a stone with JA, but I think the upgrade policy at WhiteFlash is better and the ACA line seems well regarded in the forum. Part of me thinks the "E" color would be a nice surprise for my gf but the ACA line sounds like a proven performer in the forums. Any chance the JA H&A line is close or on par?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''re both going to be gorgeous.

One is not going to be "better" than the other (though you might have preferences for one.) The only way to tell is see both together to do a direct comparison.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 9:17:39 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
GIA ex cut grade includes some combination of crown and pavilion angles which results in light leakage, so do not depend on that grade or you may be disappointed. Use the HCA to discard bad performers, any which scores below 2. Then, if possible, view them with an Idealscope.
That reads like you meant to discard any diamonds which score below 2 as these are bad performers, and I know that wasn't what you meant - these are the ones to consider, as we know diamonds which score above 2 are usually though to be the lesser performers in some cases. I think you meant use the HCA to discard lesser performers, which are the diamonds which score above 2, then evaluate those which score below 2 with Idealscope. I want to make this clear for those reading.

vancityguy

Rough_Rock
I am planning to go with the WhiteFlash stone with Legato sleek line setting, but part of my brain wonders if the WhiteFlash stone is worth paying $1350 USD more. The James Allen stone is actually higher color and karat. Am I making a good decision here?

For some reason, I just seem to have developed a trust with WhiteFlash that is hard to explain. Maybe it''s the so far great customer service. I don''t know what it is. WF did mention I would not see any inclusions once set in the Legato setting.

1.02 E VS2 H&A - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1201098.asp

1.006 F VS2 ACA - http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1466984

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2009 9:16:36 PM
Author: vancityguy
I am planning to go with the WhiteFlash stone with Legato sleek line setting, but part of my brain wonders if the WhiteFlash stone is worth paying $1350 USD more. The James Allen stone is actually higher color and karat. Am I making a good decision here?

For some reason, I just seem to have developed a trust with WhiteFlash that is hard to explain. Maybe it''s the so far great customer service. I don''t know what it is. WF did mention I would not see any inclusions once set in the Legato setting.

1.02 E VS2 H&A - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1201098.asp

1.006 F VS2 ACA - http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1466984
The WF diamond says sold so I take it you pulled the trigger? Congrats if so!!

vancityguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 3:13:30 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thank you. Yes, I went with the WF diamond in the Legato setting and am finalizing order and payment details.

I decided to go with WF for various reasons, but I think either JA or WF would be great choices.

Hopefully the WF ring will turn out great for Valentines. I will post pics.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 5:08:17 AM
Author: vancityguy

Date: 1/20/2009 3:13:30 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thank you. Yes, I went with the WF diamond in the Legato setting and am finalizing order and payment details.

I decided to go with WF for various reasons, but I think either JA or WF would be great choices.

Hopefully the WF ring will turn out great for Valentines. I will post pics.
That will make a gorgeous ring and I look forward to the pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results