shape
carat
color
clarity

Need expert help - interesting situation!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
cammoss|1307636094|2941694 said:
I'm working on getting those numbers.

And in no way, shape, or form am I trying to come here for cheerleading. I'm not experienced enough to know what is a "good deal" and what's a "terrible" deal. The fact that market listed price is in the $8-9,000 range...and I'm getting it for $2-3,000 less...I'm wanting to know if its worth it.

Once I get (hopefully so) the information on the diamond I currently have...I'll pass it along ASAP.

Based on my PS search of the online inventory, the stone you have (without knowing cut grade, which is a BIG deal and affects price) would sell around $7000 (the range is actually $5000 - $8000 for similar color clarity, welcome to EGL pricing ;)) ).

The closest comparable to the stone he is offering, which is not even cut as poorly based only on the table depth symmetry information, would sell for closer to $3600 (Though the range is $3600 to $9100 for similar color clarity, again, welcome to EGL).

So it is not a deal to do the trade. Period. You ask why he would want to "give you" $1000 if he was out to make money... well if he bought the J VS1 for much less than the stone you have now, even giving you $1000 he is making a bigger profit.

And those lines he is telling you about making it work etc are great sales lines we have all heard. He may be a very honest and trustworthy business person, but he is a business person and is not out to give away money ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here is a video that illustrates the difference between a common cut round (probably better than the J VS1 you are being offered) and an ideally proportioned stone: http://www.vimeo.com/2281519

ETA: Another perhaps better video for comparison: http://www.vimeo.com/2901034

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And in no way, shape, or form am I trying to come here for cheerleading. I'm not experienced enough to know what is a "good deal" and what's a "terrible" deal. The fact that market listed price is in the $8-9,000 range...and I'm getting it for $2-3,000 less...I'm wanting to know if its worth it.

Once I get (hopefully so) the information on the diamond I currently have...I'll pass it along ASAP.
based on what? ask yourself this Q...why would he sell you a $8k stone for $5k?.. :confused: anyway,a correctly graded H VS1 1.38ct will cost a lot more than $9,000

cammoss

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307637638|2941719 said:
Based on my PS search of the online inventory, the stone you have (without knowing cut grade, which is a BIG deal and affects price) would sell around $7000 (the range is actually $5000 - $8000 for similar color clarity, welcome to EGL pricing ;)) ).

The closest comparable to the stone he is offering, which is not even cut as poorly based only on the table depth symmetry information, would sell for closer to $3600 (Though the range is $3600 to $9100 for similar color clarity, again, welcome to EGL).

Could you send me a specific similar diamond that has this price? I searched above and didn't see anything listed...

Now I'm starting to get a little ticked off because I feel like I should just keep what I have....however, I don't know the specifics of what's in there.

cammoss

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1307637814|2941723 said:

based on what? ask yourself this Q...why would he sell you a $8k stone for $5k?.. :confused: anyway,a correctly graded H VS1 1.38ct will cost a lot more than $9,000

Right..I understand that. In the certification/apprasied value, it's listed at $10,100 for the stone that is 1.48/J color VS1.

If that was a correctly graded stone with better cut, it would be way up there in price.

But now telling me that the stone listed in question (1.48/J color VS1)....is only in reality worth about $4,000 tops, based on the table %? Wow...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cammoss|1307638127|2941726 said:

Right..I understand that. In the certification/apprasied value, it's listed at $10,100 for the stone that is 1.48/J color VS1.

If that was a correctly graded stone with better cut, it would be way up there in price.

But now telling me that the stone listed in question (1.48/J color VS1)....is only in reality worth about $4,000 tops, based on the table %? Wow...
here is a simular stone graded by AGS. this is a top ideal cut H&A stone.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104047809034

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cammoss|1307638127|2941726 said:

Er ... another thing. The "appraisal value" is normally inflated by about 50%, for insurance purposes (and possibly to make people who are new to the jewelry trade feel good about what they've bought). So if the appraisal doc says 10K, you can usually assume a purchase price of 5K.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cammoss|1307639216|2941740 said:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104047809034

So with that sitting on market value of $10,000... going up to 1.48 and less of a quality cut (table of 66% looks to be the only major issue be comparison to that diamond) would drop the value in reality to around $4,000?

No. It's the fact that the table % affects everything else about it in terms of cut - it means the angles are worse than they would be in a properly proportioned stone. Look at the crown and pavilion angles, the depth%, the whole shebang. Even a fraction of a percentage can make a big difference to how the stone looks - its light performance.

There's also the fact that the BGD stone is an AGS stone, so people feel comfortable believing it's really a near-colorless J and really a VS1 that will not have eye-visible inclusions. EGL is known for being a "soft" grader, so your "J" could really look like an AGS or GIA L or M, SI2 or even I1. All of those factors play a HUGE role in pricing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
cammoss|1307637960|2941724 said:
Dreamer_D|1307637638|2941719 said:

Could you send me a specific similar diamond that has this price? I searched above and didn't see anything listed...

Now I'm starting to get a little ticked off because I feel like I should just keep what I have....however, I don't know the specifics of what's in there.

There was nothing listed in the 1.4ct to 1.49ct range for J VS1 and EGL certs so I looked for stones in the 1.3 to 1.39ct range and then calculated the price per carat and multiplied it by the ct. weight of the stone you are considering -- the price per carat is the same from 1.3 to 1.49ct, so the math is a decent estimate. Below are the results I used (yes the URL is ridiculous ::). As you can see the range in price is wide (make sure to divide by the et. weight listed and multiply by 1.4 to get the comparable value of the stone you are considering), BUT all the stones listed have better proportions than the one you are considering. The closest I can see to the proportions of the J VS1 you are considering is the stone with the 62% table and 58% depth :knockout: , which when adjusted for ct. weight, comes in at $3600. I would not pay $5000 for a stone of the specs you describe for the J VS1 with an EGL cert. As you can see from the range of prices for EGL stones, the trouble with that lab is not only the softness of grading, but the inconsistency, which leads to the ridiculous range in prices you see in the search. How can any consumer determine fair market value? They can't. And that is why I would never recommend EGL - -not because there is anything inherently wrong with a diamond that has such a report, but because it is neigh impossible to determine its true market value. Works in the vendor's favour though, since then they can convince the consumer that the diamond has any value they like ;)) :

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-...=BC&type_search=1&all=all&h_GIA=off&h_AGS=off

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

So with that sitting on market value of $10,000... going up to 1.48 and less of a quality cut (table of 66% looks to be the only major issue be comparison to that diamond) would drop the value in reality to around $4,000?

A J vS1 graded by EGL is not even remotely comparable to a J VS1 graded by AGS. First there is the issue of cut, which takes thousands of dollars off the value of a diamond. Then there is the issue of color and clarity being so inconsistently graded by EGL, which means the stone you are considering is not really a J VS1 by AGS standards, most likely much lower and that also takes thousands off the price.

I linked the search for EGL graded J VS1 stones and you see the wild range of prices, most likely reflecting cut quality variation and also the inherent variability in EGL grading.

Here is a search for AGS0 stones of similar grade (not H&A so not comps for the BGD stone that was linked above). These have the same cut grade and true/accurate color/clarity grades. Notice how small the range in prices is compared to the EGL search?

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-...&l_country=CA&l_region=BC&type_search=1&all=0

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1307640415|2941758 said:

No. It's the fact that the table % affects everything else about it in terms of cut - it means the angles are worse than they would be in a properly proportioned stone. Look at the crown and pavilion angles, the depth%, the whole shebang. Even a fraction of a percentage can make a big difference to how the stone looks - its light performance.

There's also the fact that the BGD stone is an AGS stone, so people feel comfortable believing it's really a near-colorless J and really a VS1 that will not have eye-visible inclusions. EGL is known for being a "soft" grader, so your "J" could really look like an AGS or GIA L or M, SI2 or even I1. All of those factors play a HUGE role in pricing.

Watch the video I linked at the top of this page in the thread. No the table alone does not change the value from $10k to $4k. But the overall cut appearance can, especially in conjunction with loose color and clarity grading.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll also say ... don't get discouraged. When I found PS, I freaked out, too: I'd bought an uncerted stone from a family friend, and suddenly I got hit with all this INFORMATION! Things worked out, in my case - the "family friend" really was (he and my dad grew up together in the same tiny village in Russia, emigrated, both wound up in the jewelry biz, and the two of them had been giving one another great deals for 20 years) - but I still spent something like a month freaking out over, like, girdle reflection (the reflection of the edge of the diamond across its lower half - people commonly spot it and think it's a huge crack or inclusion, when every diamond in the world has it).

You found the site early enough in the process that you're in great time to figure out things like the respective values of certificates, appraisal value, cut quality, etc. You'll be FINE.

cammoss

Rough_Rock
Circe|1307641651|2941776 said:
I'll also say ... don't get discouraged. When I found PS, I freaked out, too: I'd bought an uncerted stone from a family friend, and suddenly I got hit with all this INFORMATION! Things worked out, in my case - the "family friend" really was (he and my dad grew up together in the same tiny village in Russia, emigrated, both wound up in the jewelry biz, and the two of them had been giving one another great deals for 20 years) - but I still spent something like a month freaking out over, like, girdle reflection (the reflection of the edge of the diamond across its lower half - people commonly spot it and think it's a huge crack or inclusion, when every diamond in the world has it).

You found the site early enough in the process that you're in great time to figure out things like the respective values of certificates, appraisal value, cut quality, etc. You'll be FINE.

Thanks...right now I am freaking out and trying to determine if I'm getting taken for a ride...or not getting any kind of a deal at all.

Total cost to me right now is diamond + setting, which was $5900.

I just don't know how to approach this. He's said that if it doesn't work, we can send it back and fix it... and I know worst comes to worst, I'll stick with what I have now and pay. While I don't have the specifics in front of me...but I do know for a fact that the diamond I have now...has a HUGE table and everyone loves it. I'm a common man, we're simple people...and not spending tons and tons on diamonds.

Again, I'll just ask for the opinion... based on the information you have at hand (which is the J-cut specs + setting) have I been taken advantage of? If am only spending this much...and thats it...is this a horrible call?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

You've asked about what we all think and we all agree that you probably aren't getting the best deal.

Out of curiosity, have you gone to *other* jewelry stores to compare the diamond you have to excellent cut/ideal cut diamonds so you can see the difference before your eyes.

As was mentioned by another poster, the HCA came back as a 7 and another member said she's never seen a diamond with a score that high!

If I were you, I'd start over from scratch and work with someone else. It's wonderful to get a great deal, but it sure doesn't sound like you are getting one! You do not want to regret your decision later on. Also, bigger isn't always better! Keep in mind a slightly smaller well-cut diamond will LOOK brighter/bigger than a not-so-great-cut stone of a larger size!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
cammoss|1307642078|2941781 said:

Thanks...right now I am freaking out and trying to determine if I'm getting taken for a ride...or not getting any kind of a deal at all.

I just don't know how to approach this. He's said that if it doesn't work, we can send it back and fix it... and I know worst comes to worst, I'll stick with what I have now and pay. While I don't have the specifics in front of me...but I do know for a fact that the diamond I have now...has a HUGE table and everyone loves it. I'm a common man, we're simple people...and not spending tons and tons on diamonds.

Again, I'll just ask for the opinion... based on the information you have at hand (which is the J-cut specs + setting) have I been taken advantage of? If am only spending this much...and thats it...is this a horrible call?

The economy is bad, people aren't buying diamonds as often, so there is NO way a seller is going to give you a great deal. That business person has bills to pay and food to buy so he needs to make a profit!!!

Regardless of how you describe yourself, you still deserve THE BEST you can for your dollar. What about getting a super great cut diamond around 1 ct?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think that $5900 is a lot to spent on diamonds :)) That is a generous amount to invest, I think the average nationwide is about $2000. You have bought something special and I would like to see you get good value for your hard earned money. That does not always means spending the least amount either.

Lets assume that you are not getting a *deal* in the sense that you are not likely to be paying less than true market value. That really never happens in the diamond world. Vendors are saavy and know the worth of their product. Instead, lets concern ourselves with ensuring you are paying fair market value, and also getting good value for your money -- feeling like you spent your money on a product that balances the 4Cs in a way that makes you happy.

I would personally like to know two other bits of information to know whether you have paid a fair price. A) what are the proportions of your current H VS1; B) What did you pay for the H VS1 and setting.

Knowing the A + B information will help me to offer an opinion about the relative value of the set you have now compared to the trade for the J VS1, which is really an important part of the decision in my opinion.

Not knowing anything about your current set and assessing *just* the price of the J VS1 EGL with setting for $5900, it depends on the setting. What is it made of? Is it a plain solitaire or does it have diamonds?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

How do you know the diamond you have now - the H, right? - has a huge table? It's not something the layperson can usually tell just by eyeballing. And table% isn't the only factor - you also need to think about things like depth, which can make a stone face up big, but dull, or smaller than its weight, and the crown and pavilion percentages, which can really affect how a stone looks.

Based just on the fact that it's an EGL J VS1, I'd say you're not getting a deal. Based on the cut of the stone, I'd say you're overpaying.

When it comes to the H? Hard to say. And the type of setting you have counts towards price, too: a really ornate platinum setting is going to cost more than a simple 14K gold solitaire.

So, just to keep things clear: right now, you have a 1.38 H stone, for which you paid $5900 ... which we need to get the specs on before we can say anything about value.

You have the OPTION of trading it for the 1.48 J stone, which, with 1k back, would cost you $4900 ... which you are either paying market value for if your setting is really fancy, or for which you are overpaying (brick and mortar dealers typically have higher overheads, so that's not terribly surprising).

Bottom line: don't sell yourself short. 5K is a LOT of money to spend: just because you're not spending 10, doesn't mean you shouldn't get the highest quality possible. Post the specs on your H when you get them, and if need be, we can give you a "cheat sheet" on desirable specs for good cut to take back to your guy if he'll ONLY do an exchange. If he'll give you a straight-up return?

[rubs hands together]

... then we can point you towards some specific deals.

ETA: Heh, cross-posted with MC and Dreamer. Looks like great minds think alike and you've got a consensus ....

cammoss

Rough_Rock
No... What I have now was a total of $5900 for the setting + 1.48 J color VS1 diamond.

He wants me to send it back and he'll put in the J color diamond. What I have in there now is a 1.38 H color, VS1....which for me to keep would be an additional $1,000.

ring_5.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
cammoss|1307643400|2941800 said:
No... What I have now was a total of $5900 for the setting + 1.48 J color VS1 diamond.

He wants me to send it back and he'll put in the J color diamond. What I have in there now is a 1.38 H color, VS1....which for me to keep would be an additional $1,000.

The above is confusing... is this correct:

OK, so you HAVE the 1.38 H VS1 + setting for $6900.

You can send it back for a 1.48 J VS1 and the same setting for $5900.

I repeat, what metal is the setting and the cttw of the diamonds? What are the specs on your H VS1 diamond?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is that a picture of the H, or the J?

And, yeah, $5900 for an EGL J VS1 in a fairly straighforward setting is higher than you could pay elsewhere.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you want comments on the picture?

cammoss

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307643968|2941815 said:

at this rate, I'm terrified of what people will say, but go ahead and lay it on me.

It's 18K white gold.

cammoss

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307643812|2941810 said:

The above is confusing... is this correct:

OK, so you HAVE the 1.38 H VS1 + setting for $6900.

You can send it back for a 1.48 J VS1 and the same setting for $5900.

I repeat, what metal is the setting and the cttw of the diamonds? What are the specs on your H VS1 diamond?

That is correct...(above)

cctw in the band is .75

I don't have specs on the VS1 H diamond yet....I am working to get those....

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Ask him to price out a round diamond with the following specs for you ... then you will find out how good of a deal you are getting. I think you will be shocked at the price difference. Then.. you can ask him why is it priced so differently .. let's see if he admits that he is offering you a diamond that is cut poorly.

GIA or AGS
Ct Weight: 1.4 - 1.5 ct
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Depth - 60 - 62%
Table - 54- 57%
Crown Angle - 34- 35 degrees
Pavilion Angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
Polish and Symmetry - very good and above

The truth is no one on this forum will go out and buy the diamond with the specs you posted. I wouldn't consider it unless it is dirt cheap and can be recut without losing significant weight.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK so a setting like that would likely cost somewhere in the area of $1000, depending on its quality.

So for the J VS1, the diamond is being offered for around $4900. It is not a totally out-to-lunch price based on the comps I saw online. Jewelers with a store front usually charge between 20% and 100% more than online! So, based purely on the market value, I think that the J VS1 is a fair price -- though we cannot know for sure as it is hard to find true comparables for the cut, which is likely worse than the ones I found on the search and would lower its market value considerably. I do not think it is a good trade, though, as it is a known poor cut and will likely appear more tinted than your present stone. Even for $1000 savings I would not make that trade myself.

So the H VS1 being around $5900 is also likely a fair price for the market, though without cut quality information it is hard to nail it down. If the H VS1 is better cut than the J VS1, it could actually be a better value, even costing $1000 more.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
cammoss|1307644450|2941824 said:
Dreamer_D|1307643968|2941815 said:

at this rate, I'm terrified of what people will say, but go ahead and lay it on me.

OK, so based only on the photo and its price, and not knowing its actual proportions, and with the caveat my comment is based only on the one photo... I suspect that the H VS1 is also a similar level of cut quality as the J VS1. You see in the image that there is sort of a circle of darkness around the center of the stone? That may be what we colloquially call a "fish eye", which is a result of poor cut and basically means that the diamond is not returning light to your eye in the best way it possibly could.

That said -- and this is important!! -- you paid a fair price *for what the stone is* and you love it. If you wanted a well cut stone (by my standards and those of many other PSers) you would either pay more, or buy a smaller diamond. YOU need to decide where your priorities lie in terms of budget and your preferences. There would not nothing inherently wrong with a choice to keep the diamond you have.

My main point is you did not get hosed on the price you paid and you love this H VS1. I would not recommend switching out for the J VS1 as I do not think it is a good deal. If you are happy with the stone you have, keep it and love it.

I would personally choose to spend my money differently -- I would emphasize cut more and sacrifice carat. But it is not my ring, it is yours, and there is nothing *wrong* with choosing a larger diamond with poorer cut as long as you are going into the transaction with your eyes open. And it seems that you are now, whether you wanted to have your eyes opened or not ::)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with everything Dreamer said above!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ring_5.jpg
he is now asking for an extra $1000 after the deal is done?.. :confused:

cammoss

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1307648172|2941872 said:
No... What I have now was a total of $5900 for the
he is now asking for an extra $1000 after the deal is done?.. :confused:

Because he says the H stone that is 1.36 ct is $1.000 more than the 1.48 J color. It's confusing, I know :(sad

I feel really bummed about all of this now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results