shape
carat
color
clarity

Need design help for gemstones!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have recently been squirrling away some gemstones and jewlery parts, but need some help determining what to do with them! I will most likely set in white gold, as there are a few pieces I would like to make. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I don''t have a designer/jeweler, so any help on that front would also be great!

Here''s the 6ct+ amethyst I got that is laser cut in a smooth marquis shape. I will make it a pendant, but how to set it, and in what style I am a bit lost...I like simple, classic, and elegant, but this seems best as a casual piece, maybe? HELP!!!/idealbb/images/smilies/errrr.gif

Amethyst marquis on white.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Another bad blurry picture, but you get the idea...?

Amethyst marquis.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
OK, no responses on that one...how about a trilliant London Blue TOpaz at 4.5 carats?

London Blue Trillion Topaz.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Another picture of this stone...I was thinking it's too large for a ring, but another pendant would be lovely...Any ideas on how best to set a trilliant?

London Blue Trillion Topaz dark.jpg

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
Nicole ( I like that better)
If I were to design a pendant or whatever for your stones would you respect me in the morning ?

After all the problems we had with our designs being copied I started having people pay me for my sketches. That way I was compensated in some small way for the time I spend designing an original.

My bench jeweleris still my friend (saw him this morning) and he does fabulous work.

Interested ?

Uncle Marty of course

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Uncle Marty, I am interested, but considering these are genstones, I am hoping that the prices won't spiral too much!
9.gif
I would set them in white gold. Considering they are larger pieces, I like a fairly simple, and elegant look, but not sure what to do with them particularly. I like unique but very simple, as my e-ring will eventually just be a simple square radiant within a v shaped prong (no basket), as this image shows a bit: (I stole it from someone else's post.. /idealbb/images/smilies/sad.gif)

Also, if you want here is another piece I own to get a feel for my jewlery taste. Once you see that, let me know what a pricing estimate could be for both and seperately...You can always Private message me, or e-mail me! I appreciate the help! /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-little-gift-for-me.13151/

X-prong draft setting pic.jpg

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nicrez. That topaz is beautiful! I love the shape of it. I think it would make a great pendant - something with very little metal around it to really show of the stone.

As for the other stone - that is quite an interesting and unique piece! I think it would look great no matter what you did with it - sure to catch some attention. It might look neat in some sort of Lariat necklace, instead of just a regular pendant. In fact I think that would look really nice! Hope this helps.
1.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
This is an example of what I was thinking of for the amethyst:

http://images.redenvelope.com/zoomtar/java_zoom.jsp?company=production&skuOrPath=VD4_141970_W&name=pearl%20heart%20lariat

Not necessarily with a heart, if that isn't your style, and I would use a nicer looking chain, but something alone these lines.
1.gif

I wonder - do lariat necklaces fall off easily? Perhaps if you have a heavy enough gemstone it would weigh it down enough to prevent it from sliding out? I guess this isn't a piece I would wear while sleeping.
2.gif

Hope this helps.
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I like the idea, I can possibly make a little ring of pave diamonds! I would make it 15" or so, close to the neck, like a chocker of sorts...I can't do long necklaces...but ME LIKE!

Actually, believe it or not I am thinking of a lariat for other gemstones I have. It's going to be a very delicate larriate with these stones, each set at different levels like a shower of little blue topaz stars. I would make the ring in a star shape with a star at each pojnt and between the star points little pave diamonds...
love.gif

Light baby blue topaz stars together.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Here's maybe a better picture....I want delicate and very light looking on these babies, since they are so lightly blue...

Light baby blue topaz stars.jpg

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Oh those are precious! I think that will look great, I love the idea. Very unique.
2.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
How about something like a chunky choker with the amethyst in the center, set east-west, and lots of colorful stones surrounding it? I don't know if this is your style at all, but I think it could be really interesting and pretty.

I was thinking of something along the lines of this style, I just came across it while browsing the website: http://images.redenvelope.com/zoomtar/java_zoom.jsp?company=production&skuOrPath=SP4_139819_W&name=semiprecious%20bracelet but as a necklace/choker instead of a bracelet.

Maybe the smaller stones wouldn't have to go all the way around the neckline, but just a little around the center amethyst (like an inch to the right and left) to add a sort of delicate look. Just some thoughts.
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
That's actually a very nice idea. I generally go with sparse stones, as I tend to be a simple minimalist, but that's the sort of color and spice I seem to need!!! My BF suggested a choker with that amethyst as well! But as a choker it would have to be eat to west, I would think.

Great ideas!!! I think I found an old Tiffany's catalogue with that stars idea, I'll try to scan it tonight and post it...

OOOOH! I am soooo excited to see our jewlery come out!

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Hey Nic,

I found this picture of a trillian gem set in a ring while browsing today (Ok.. so I'm bored at work today...
3.gif
)

mainne1.gif

I thought it looks pretty cool and thought of your topaz.

You can find more info on it on Jewelry Expert's website.
And no, I don't work for them.
2.gif
I just thought they have a lot of interesting designs...
5.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Only problem is this Trilliant is over 6cts...It's a large rock for a ring on my finger, so I am thinking a nice setting like the Leon Mege setting above with the pave prongs.... But how does one set a trilliant in a pronged pendant?

I bought quite a few little gems, so these are just a few....Lord! I need more ideas...I search, but i can never really find NEW ideas...they are all so similar...?
confused.gif
sad.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
I would think a trilliant would be set in a pendant similarly to the way a pear would, with the point up. This site has a few exquisite examples of pear pendants: http://artofplatinum.com/frames/thumbs.htm

Adding a thin line of pave around it could also really jazz it up. Hey, that could make a nice matching pair to that awesome ring you have.
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Uh oh...now you have me buying MORE!
3.gif

Actually, I have so many cute earrings gemstones, but not sure what to do next...here's another set I got of cabochon amethyst hearts with teeny diamonds inset.

Amethyst heart cabs with diamonds.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Another close up, and I figure these are sort of soft and childlike, so I couldn't get all Leon Mege on them. I would want something totally different but what. Since I have two I figured earrings, but they could be a ring or pendant with some work...?

Anyone know any good place and site to look for ideas?!
confused.gif

Amethyst heart cab with diamonds single.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he... Nicrez, these late posts of yours look like trouble
2.gif

How about a course in jewelry design ?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Dear God I would LOVE that...anything with gems...I told my friend it literally hurt to leave the diamond district after lunch and go back to the office...GIA has courses? Is it something that requires major financial commitments?

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Nic

Did you consider having those little stars wire wrapped in w/g and set in a kind of stars by the yard look?

win

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Win, I DID! I think it was you who had suggested that with rough stones, and I LOVED the idea....any pics?

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 3/11/2004 4:06:17 PM Nicrez wrote:

Uh oh...now you have me buying MORE!
----------------

Oops, I actually meant that you could design your trilliant like that, not buy another pear - if thats what you thought I meant.
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, perhaps I extrapolated incorrectly, but the result is just fine...MORE JEWELS!!!!
11.gif

My poor wallet, but boy will may fingers, neck, ears, wrists and toes be happy...
love.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Nic

No, the only pics I have of such a necklace are in my head.

I used to design quite a bit of beaded (semi precious) jewelery years and years ago, have ideas in my head even now, and think that those stars would be lovely with white gold wire either holding each of the points, or else with the gold crossing over the body of the star, and with hoops for a chain type of arrangement going through the hoops, so that each star is equidistant from the next. I hope this idea comes through in text, Maybe I'll try to sketch it out if I get a chance tomorrow and post that somehow.

win

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Win, when you commit those to paper, I would love to see them. These stars are quite small, so I am not sure HOW they can be set just yet. They may just fall out of the wrapped wire setting, so that's a little scary. I would ABSOLUTELY want a necklace like that, perhaps if I get larger stones in the future (near future!)

I have yet to scan a picture in of the Tiffany's necklace from an old catalogue, but when I do, I'll show you approximately what I want it to look like, and maybe you can tell me if it's a good idea or not!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results