shape
carat
color
clarity

A little gift for me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I actually work near the Diamond District in NYC. Ok, a block away, and so this can be lethal…for my wallet.

On one particular sad and blustery November lunch, I sauntered into a jeweler on 5th Avenue and proceeded to ogle some topaz rings, as I adore them. The next thing I remember I am trying a slew of them on and whipping out my wallet, and then there''s a ring box in my bag and a hole in my bank account.

Here''s the culprit:

London Blue 1.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
and another one...

London Blue 2.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
and the money shot...

London Blue 3.jpg

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Nicrez that ring is GORGEOUS! I love blue topaz, and that is such a rich blue color. Did they have a replica of that ring?
2.gif
I might have to take a look in the diamond district, somehow I've never been there. Perhaps thats a good thing....

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
That ring is beautiful! I love unique settings. Is the diamond district in Manhattan? because I was there 5 years ago and I wanted to see the shops, but my husband said we didn't have the time, wish I did now. If I ever get back there again, that will be my first stop.

thanks for sharing.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
The jeweler I got it from is actually NOT on 47th, but a block away on 5th and 46th-45th. The store is actually filled with his personal work, and it's large and FULL of oodles of phenomenal stones and pieces. This was one of the more unique ones, so I had to get it! It's a 2.3 Ct or so London Blue Topaz with (16) .1ct. H I1 diamonds all around, set in a nice thick 14K white gold band. I have it written down somehwere...

There WAS one ring that was so elegant and beautiful with pave diamonds sides, I wanted it so bad, but it was severly over budget...I don't remember the stone, but it was the softest and most perfect blue I ever saw!

This ring, is actually not even my size. I'm a 5.5 ring size, or a 5.75 on my middle finger, and this is almost a 7. I have never worn it, but I like to look at it! I know it's slightly ridiculous, but I figure it's a piece I could always pass down...?

If you haven't been able to shop in NYC, it's definately an experience WORTH having! GO!
11.gif
9.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
You've never worn it?! Wow, I can't imagine not wearing such a beautiful piece. But you are right, it sure is nice to look at!

Does the diamond district have higher prices than other stores just because its in NYC? Or because it's jewelery do they wind up having similar prices anyway? I live on LI, so I am used to high prices in general, but I'm not sure how much NYC prices are generally hiked up. I'm just curious. I really need to visit the city more often, especially since I'm not that far away.
1.gif
Thanks.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Yes prices are higher, but who says they are set in stone?
wink2.gif

I believe in a market economy, so that's how I shop. I bargain if I can, and if I can't and I am willing to pay more I do. If I am not, I keep searching until I find the deal price that makes the product worth buying. NYC is NO different. This ring retailed almost $150 more than I paid...I mentioned my budget and then went down a bit to get a sale. I mentioned another ring that was MUCh cheaper, and they went down again. Then I spoke with the man who designed it and he really liked me, so the price went to what I would pay and BAM.

With what you now know, you can bargain your way to a lovely jewelry box, I am sure! Best thing to do is ALWAYS be ambivilent about something you REALLY like. Let them convince YOU...It's also best to have a "budget" stickler, like the hubby, or BF with you, or just keep saying, "Ooohh..I'd get in too much trouble!" Frankly, I wouldn't, but why should they know that!? Also, don't be persuaded against your gut. I was sort of persuaded by the salesgirl on this one, but I am not bitter, it's a lovely ring. I would even shop there again, if the right thing popped up.

The city is the BEST place to shop because the quality ranges are so great, and so are the price ranges. But those are always negotiable, quality is not!
wink2.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a 7! Send that thing on over!
rolleyes.gif

It's truly lovely...I can't believe you don't wear it. I would get it resized, why can't you do that?!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I COULD, only thing is, I have smaller, slender fingers and it's a bit "top heavy" on my finger. I tried it on, and as lovely as it is on my hand it feels "too much". I know, its nuts, and my BF thinks I am crazy for buying it and keeping it just to admire it.

Such is the case of a majority of shoes and articles of clothes in my closet too...
rolleyes.gif
nono.gif

It would make a great dinner ring, and since I am still a bit too young to really rock a ring this big, I'll either wait to have it resized (unless my fingers pudge up) or I'll pass it down. My friend asked if I'd sell it to her, but I am not quite sure. Maybe I can make it a pendant?
love.gif
Any ideas?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Wow Nicrez...you redefine the gatherer in the "hunter/gatherer" analogy that I hear from hubby all the time.

It's a beautiful ring -- you really have to figure out how to do more than just admire it in the box! A pendant is not a bad idea. I understand how it might not really work on your fingers -- it would be too big on mine.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
SSOOOOO Nicrez,

This fixation on square stones has been with you a while, huh? That is one beautiful ring! You really need to find a way to wear it though! A pendant would be perfect!
9.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is a seriously gorgeous ring! I would wait until you either pudge up a bit, or size it. I can't believe that you couldn't pull off that look. Please don't turn it into a pendant! It just looks outrageously beautiful for a ring.
10.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I loved the ring, but on me, somehow...it felt too bling...(which normally most people would want to slap me for saying) but I am sort of a sleeker and smaller framed person (except around the middle I suppose) And my dress style, tends to be professional, modern (yet classic) and somewhat lowkey. I wasn't always this way, so I am evolving and I suppose I may evolve to a person who can rock this ring, but just not yet.

So is it really a sacriledge to turn it into a pendant? I get nervous, because it's hand made by the man who sold it to me, and in some ways feels like a slap in the face of an artist, so I'm a bit odd that way...But on the other hand I want to enjoy it!
cry.gif
....ideas?
confused.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
From the pictures, it looks as if it is somewhat concave. If so, that might not work well in a pendant, which I would think you would want to have lie flat.

Maybe you should size it and experiment with wearing it on a night out a few times, and see if the two of you can grow into each other.
9.gif
I'm not a big bling person either, but with somethings that I wouldn't normally pick for myself, I learn to love them after getting used to it. And, then again somethings never feel right.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
It's absolutely lovely,
Nicrez!! Even if you only
look at it, it's definitely
something to own!

win

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not make it a pendant. It's an amazing ring and I think you should wear it...sometimes our perception of ourselves is skewed. Wear it out on the town when you wear all black or are dressed kind of edgy. It's an amazing ring...I love it. You live in NYC ...I can't believe you can't find a place to wear this ring!!
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It's a gorgeous ring!!
love.gif

You may feel self concious at first, but I'd bet you'll be surprised how easily you get used to wearing it. Definitely, get that puppy sized, and go clubbing!!
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I just had to write that I finally put it on for the first time for dinner tonight. We went out to a delicious dinner, and i decided to wear my little bling. It still flops about a bit (so I will resize it), but I sort of liked having all that color and sparkle on my finger...

I guess what prompted me was my boyfriend suggesting that he pay me for it, so he can gift it to his mother or one of his various aunts overseas, because the it's too nice of a ring to go to waste...

Ihe thought of my little baby leaving sort of made me grab the little guy from his box and quickly put him on...I guess his aunts fingers will have to go unadorned...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results