shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Cushion Help - PLEASE!

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
I am a new poster but have been reading a ton here - I need some help!

Long story short, I lost my 1.43 carat round brilliant Tiffany H VS1 Engagement ring on the plane in July and I am looking for a replacement. I was hoping to find an awesome Cushion but I had NO idea how complicated cushions could be!

I thought I had found a couple of good options in our price/size range but now I'm really not sure. And they're online, don't have an ASET and don't have videos (so maybe I really just need to figure out something else all together?)

Budget is upto $18k including halo setting in plat so something close to $16k or under for stone, GHI, VS1/VS2 husband not really on board with SI or lower... and I'm not sure I care about Fluro. I have to have a square, nothing outside of the 1.02 ratio, and I was really hoping for something in the 2-2.5 carat range... here we go:

Option 1:
2.40 Carat
Cut: Very Good
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Ratio: 1.01
Depth%: 68.8%
Table: 64%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick to very thick
Culet: None
Fluor: Strong
Measurements: 7.53 x 7.47 x 5.14
GIA Certified

$15,969

Option 2:
2.01 Carat
Clarity: VS2
Ratio: 1.00
Depth%: 68.6%
Table: 58%
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Fluor: Medium
Measurements: 7.25 x 7.23 x 4.96
GIA Certified

$11,939

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your ering. :(sad

Unfortunately we cant tell anything about fancy cut stones by the number. You'll have to post pictures/asets/videos for us to be
able to give you any feedback. If you want help with picking out a nice cushion we can recommend a few.

Have you seen this thread...it talks about the different type of cushion cuts (there are several). It's worth a look.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

Also, do you have a setting picked out somewhere? Usually a halo in platinum will tend to cost more than $2k but I guess that
depends on who is making the setting.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
This is really almost impossible without photos of the stones. Cushions vary so much and there's very little between excellent and a total pile, if you know what I mean.

Gypsy is your girl for cushions, if she sees this.

I've recently been cushion shopping, though not near in that price range, and these were a few standouts FOR ME - but cushions are so individual. Have you seen a 4-main and an 8-main to see which you like better?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305004
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.00-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-597854

There's not a lot of inventory in the branded cushions in the large sizes - you're probably really going to have to do some legwork on this one.

I just spent a bit flipping through Enchanted Diamonds and didn't see anything that rang my bell.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I am going to see what WF and GOG have for me in this range. I am getting photos of the first two I posted, but don't have anything yet...

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Shape and Cutting Style ......... Cushion Modified Brilliant

Measurements ................................ 7.13 x 7.02 x 4.78 mm

Carat Weight ......................................................... 2.04 carat

Color Grade .......................................................................... H

Clarity Grade .................................................................... VS1

Polish ...................................................................... Excellent

Symmetry .............................................................. Excellent

Fluorescence ................................................................. Faint

Table: 60%
Depth: 68.1%

$14,999

stone_22.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for an aset image.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It's not my favorite faceting pattern, but you're also not buying me a stone :)

Is this the specific faceting pattern you want?

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Here is the ASET and photo of option 1 which was...

Option 1:
2.40 Carat
Clarity: VS1
Ratio: 1.01
Depth%: 68.8%
Table: 64%
Fluor: Strong
Measurements: 7.53 x 7.47 x 5.14
GIA Certified

$15,969

reg_photo_2.jpg

aset_26.jpg

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Option 3:
2.00 Carat
Cut:
Clarity: VS2
Ratio: 1.04 ( :wall: I asked for 1.0- 1.02 so sent this one back, but want to learn about what folks say about this one)
Depth%: 68.2%
Table: 56.6%
Culet: .4
Fluor:
Measurements: 7.39x7.13x4.86
GIA Cert

$15,436

_34705.jpg

2_0_h_vs1_pic_1.jpg

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
I, admittedly, do not have an eye to pic out the specific facet pattern in pictures of the stones but I do prefer the GOG Modern Cut.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
:wavey: So many questions... this is complicated! :confused:

Is this considered crushed ice pattern?

crushed_ice_q.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Option 3 is my favorite so far.

No, that's not a crushed ice cushion, but that's not a standard definition, either. That facet pattern is more of a modified radiant. That would be a "cushion modified brilliant" as opposed to a 4 or 8 main "cushion brilliant" with uninterruped pavilion mains. The term "modified" here really doesn't mean anything. It's just more of a hybrid cut. If that's to your taste - awesome.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Would you consider option 1 totally out because it's not a top performer? Am I reading the ASET right? There looks to be leakage in the center... right?

I am getting specs on two other GoG stones, just waiting :appl:

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Also, what facet pattern is this?

pattern_q.jpg

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
When I was looking at cushions (and I looked at MANY) I found james allen to be immensely helpful. I would set the parameters very broad (all carat sizes, all colors) and just scroll through to see which facet patterns i was drawn too. Then, you can look at the GIA reports and see if there is a specific pattern associated with that. There were many times I thought I really liked a specific pattern, only to be blown away by a diamond that had something totally different going on. Cushions really are one of the stones where it is best to take some time and really explore and research before committing.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one from GOG is my favorite so far.

I personally would not consider the first one. Too much leakage, no red in the center.

Those faceting patterns you are looking at are (I believe) cushion modified brilliants. They come in different flavors.

You need to look at cushions (JA is good for this), find a faceting pattern you like (any size, color, clarity...doesnt matter) then
show the link to GOG so they can bring some stones in that appeal to your eye.

(basically what the above post that I just read says!)

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
that one is lovely! not sure how it will ASET out or if you care about that, but PUT IT ON HOLD BEFORE SOMEONE STEALS IT. NOW!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
dollyanjuli|1443741994|3933903 said:
that one is lovely! not sure how it will ASET out or if you care about that, but PUT IT ON HOLD BEFORE SOMEONE STEALS IT. NOW!

These ASET out okay. Not top of the line but the faceting is really attractive in real life - I have two (much smaller than this one).

Yes, put it on hold if you're at all considering it. These types of stones are rare and tend to get snapped up.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Do I put it on hold with James Allen? And doesn't that inclusion in the center suck? Does anyone else notice it??

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
you can ask them if it's eye clean, but in person you will most likely not be able to see that spec- its really very tiny. Try zooming it out all the way, its not a perfect comparison but it will give you an idea.

Yes, you can just chat with them and have them put it on hold for you while you ask them for more info. It really is a lovely stone at a good price, and a very good face up size for the carat weight- easily the size of a 2.5.

Good luck! :wavey:

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
On hold and waiting for ASET but still on the hunt :Up_to_something:

Q

Queenie60

Cushion diamonds are very complicated. You need to decide if you like the "crushed ice" look or the more chunky (X-factor) look. Go to goodoldgold.com and he can probably help you. I encourage you to do extensive research on this so that you don't end up with a cushion that you do not like. Good luck to you!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
MMiroyan|1443851102|3934356 said:
Cushion diamonds are very complicated. You need to decide if you like the "crushed ice" look or the more chunky (X-factor) look. Go to goodoldgold.com and he can probably help you. I encourage you to do extensive research on this so that you don't end up with a cushion that you do not like. Good luck to you!

She obviously already spoke to good old gold since one of their stones is posted above.

I don't really understand your motives - every post is an ad for some guy in Ohio or posts something that somebody already said.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
kb1gra|1443864283|3934399 said:
MMiroyan|1443851102|3934356 said:

She obviously already spoke to good old gold since one of their stones is posted above.

I don't really understand your motives - every post is an ad for some guy in Ohio or posts something that somebody already said.

The whole site can be repetitive there is only so many ways of saying the same thing regarding gem stones however this PSer does seem to be promoting the same jeweler maybe they own the joint or just had a very good experience and has nothing else to share.

Why have they not posted pics of these amazing pears I always love to see a diamond,

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Sphene|1443869547|3934409 said:
Vizsla Girl|1443741784|3933902 said:
Ok I think I'm starting to figure out which facet patterns I prefer and I'm also more drawn to the 8 main over the 4 main...

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.03-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-659699

Have you moved away from square

No, but I have not found any other stones with the 8 main that I love that are closer to a perfect square, and so I took the plunge and ordered this one. My husband isn't too sure about the color, but I am in love with the faceting... so we'll see when we get it! :appl:

Q

Queenie60

In response to SPHENE:

I have no motives other than trying to be helpful. My posts are general as I am a new poster on this site. No need to be so rude, I don't feel I have posted anything that would offend anyone. And no, I do not own "the joint."

I am new to this site and getting used to the format. I am not trying to promote any particular jeweler, just sharing my experiences and I'm certainly not a "know it all." And would never be critical of a general posting.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
So, I finally got the JA stone and I'm not sure it's love... The setting is horrendous and going back (they apologized, want to make it right, etc.) but when I brought the piece to my local jeweler to see about having a custom setting done he told me it was grey :( I'm getting it appraised tomorrow but for now, here are some pictures...

_35058.jpg

_35059.jpg

_35060.jpg

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
A few more shots... If someone sees something I don't and can tell me it's not worth it to spend $135 on an appraisal I'm all ears!!

_35061.jpg

_35062.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results