shape
carat
color
clarity

Need CAD advice please, different style of prongs maybe??

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Need some advice from the CAD experts. This is a new setting for my 3.10 L OEC by LAD and Caysie von Bebber. I'm pretty happy with it at this point except I'm considering tab prongs instead of double claws. Somehow the double claws seem wrong for the style of ring; too smooth and modern, maybe?? I seem to need another post for all the attachments, so I'll do the that in a minute.

img_12672.jpg

img_12673.jpg

img_12674.jpg

08292016top.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Re: Need CAD advice please, different style of prongs maybe?

Here are a few more renderings and the type of prongs (tabs) I think might be better. What do you all think?

Here is a Singlestone ring with some similarities, and tab prongs that might work.

08292016angle.jpg

08292016side.jpg

08292016cad.jpg

saraside.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Your stone is going to look oval, at a glance. Are you okay with that?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think tabs would fit in better with this setting. I like the tab look on large stones and this one is large. The double prongs
set NS/EW does have a modern look to me. I really like the gallery area and the mixed metals. Definitely agree with what Gypsy
is saying about the collar giving it an oval look at a glance.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Yes, the impression of oval is part of the plan, so that's ok. What does anyone think of the Sara tab prongs? I think they are beautiful.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't like tab prongs personally because it's more metal covering the diamond's table. I also am a cat obsessed lady, and find stilettos sexy, but impossible for me to walk in, so hence my pointy kitty cat claw prong obsession.

I'd suggest 4 single claw prongs (meow!!!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am usually a huge fan of claw prongs, but I think in this case the tab prongs will fit the design better and look lovely :)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the tab prongs myself and think your stone is large enough that they will be fine. I also think they will flow with this design well.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Ok, the designer is working on a tab prong version. I will post when she sends it to me. Thank you all for the feedback. This process is nerve-wracking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh boy, it's so funny I would see this today! Caysie is working on a design for me and it was pretty much perfect on her first draft. But even today, I asked her again if she thought I should switch to tab prongs or bezel for my center stone (which is not round)!!! I have double claws right now, too! She is wise to tell me that she can't decide that for me! lol!

I think your design is beautiful! The double claws are beautiful the way the stone is oriented. The double prong works so well on the sides where you have the little french cuts. Not sure how a single tab would look there, but I guess the new CADs will help to visualize it better! I kind of think tabs might be too much when you want that collar to really show which would mean minimizing prongs, to me.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

DS, I agree that the way the double prongs emerge around the French cuts is nice, and I don't know how she will incorporate a tab prong. But this is Caysie's job to figure out, so I wait with bated breath! I think the claws would also probably work fine, and I know they look bigger and more prominent in the CAD than they will IRL. I just needed to see another option before being done with the design process. I don't know how you find this "custom" process yourself, but I find it challenging. I will look forward to seeing your project. My original plan was for some carving on the shank, as well. Any thoughts about that? Part of me feels it is "fancy" enough already.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have been thinking about this. I don't know as I'd do tab prongs. Or the double prongs shown. I might prefer a combo of both like the below.

They split at the crown of the stone but go up in a single column like tabs.

rsc10031-815.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tabs would be consistent with a more antique stone, like your OEC. For me it wouldn't work because I still don't prefer tabs.

I love double claws... Sorry, no help.

Can't wait to see your completed ring though! I loved your stone when I saw it at Adam's.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Good point Gypsy--maybe the double prongs just need to be fancied up a bit like the picture you posted, and start as singles.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Here are new CADs with tabs. I'm still stuck. I think the tabs ARE more in keeping with the design, I just want there to be......less of them. Can anyone describe how much less metal there will be in the finished product than on the CAD? I think I want the tabs, just more refined. Need lots of input please! I'll put the claws and the tabs next to each other in this post if I can.

ribbonprongfront.jpg

_38355.jpg

ribbonprongangle.jpg

_38356.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Front view: I am picturing the tab prongs in this view looking like small sections of a bezel--hugging the curve of the girdle, not sticking out so much.

ribbonprongstop.jpg

_38357.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I prefer the tabs. But they need to be delicate.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1474754858|4080379 said:
I prefer the tabs. But they need to be delicate.

Same here - just not as thick and chunky for lack of better descriptors! I think it will be beautiful when finished!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Thanks you guys. That's my feeling too: the tabs are better but need refining, which I'm sure Caysie can do. MGR, thanks for the pic of FacetFire's ring. I never saw that thread before (before my PS time!) and I'm happy to say, I like it too! Mine should be lower set (one of my strong requirements) but yes I love the oval impression from overhead.

Still happy to hear any other opinions. DS?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Do you know which Singlestone ring this is? Or have alternate views of it?

I really love it.

saraside.jpg

Skhii

Shiny_Rock

You may also consider changing the prongs to the pointy "tab" prongs on DecoDaze's CVB 2.83 ct Q-R VS1 OEC ruby collar ring.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lad-oec-in-vintage-inspired-cvb-ring-with-ruby-collar.211983/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lad-oec-in-vintage-inspired-cvb-ring-with-ruby-collar.211983/[/URL]
red_potato_vendor_8.jpg

DecoDaze was inspired by Circe's OWD 2.37 ct K VS1 OMC emerald collar ring. It features double claws like your original CAD, but in a different orientation.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omc-in-art-deco-emerald-setting.205831/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omc-in-art-deco-emerald-setting.205831/[/URL]
_22018.jpg

Tab prongs like the ones on the Single Stone ring also work very nicely.
org_jola581_a-1_2.jpg

jola581_b_l.jpg

jola581_c_l_single_stone_edwardian_ring.jpg

Gypsy, the ring is named Sara. Here's the link: https://www.singlestone.com/collections/sara_p200/
2.56ct J/VS2 EGL certified old European cut diamond set in a handcrafted platinum mounting. A classic Edwardian style piece laced with intricate scroll designs. $30.500
SKU JOLA58-1
Metal Platinum
Stone Diamond
Center Stone Weight 2.56 ct
Cut Old European Cut
Color J
Clarity VS2
Certificate EGL http://www.eglusa.com/verify-a-report-results/?st_num=905192601d
Total Carat Weight 2.93 ctw
Size 6.00

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results