shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Brutal Honesty - Deal or No Deal on 1ct princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
Okay - so my possible future brother-in-law sent me this email below.

>>Hey man its "Bob", I think "Cindy" already told you that I''m doing wholesale
>>jewelry sales now. Its going really well!!! The reason I''m writing is to
>>tell you that I heard you and "Sally" might be getting close to setting a
>>date, and I have an awesome ring, at an unbelievable price for you if you
>>want it! You just have to let me know cause if you don''t I have some other
>>clients that do. I wanted to give you first dibs at it. Its a 1 carat
>>princess cut diamond set in a platinum setting. It got appraised at $9000,
>>and I can sell it to you for $3500. Let me know what your thinking ASAP!
>>Thanks, talk to you soon!

I then replied with:
>Need Pics? And is it certified what are the grades of the diamond?

His reply:
It''s a VVS1 grade diamond, F color, 1carat, great value! All papers and GIA
certification, and platinum setting. I''ll get you some pics soon!!

Talk to me experts - what else should I ask. My girlfriend was kinda ticked because she didn''t think family should make a profit on family. (I agree) I personally think he doesn''t he has the ring but its at a pawn shop and just playing the middle man. This is all I know about the ring.

Voice your opinions/wisdom, I''ll post a pic when I get one.

Coach

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
you must get the cert information and check the numbers on it. and pictures.

good luck and be careful. blood and money don''t mix!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

At this point there are so many unknowns, that I would proceed with caution; but at the very least, screams, "independent appraiser!" Because, what really do you know of the condition of this ring?

In doing a brief search on the PS database, the stone with your above stated parameters, start at app. $4200, and that is without the setting. Look at the ring for yourself, them have it assessed by a professional who can give you an unbaised assessment of it''s condition and value. Sometimes those "best friend deals" are, well, you know the rest..........

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. NO.

Appraisals can be inflated. That margin is ridiculous. And you always get what you pay for... even when some tells you you're not.

Family and friends have resulted in more people posting on here being 'taken' than any other instance.

If it's not GIA or AGS certified then you might be looking at an H color VS stone masquerading as an F VVS.... an INDEPENDANT appraisal from a trusted appraiser on here AT THE LEAST is in order.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i agree with eva17..... how well do you know fbil? sounds like a salesy pitch to me, i''d be cautious. red flags go up for me whenever someone says they have others interested and get back to them ASAP - they are trying to pressure/scare you into the sale. being ''family'' he should be all the more patient and forthcoming with the important info up front, rather than wanting your response right away without giving you any details. another red flag is saying it is worth 9k but he''ll sell for 3500. that''s a HUGE difference, even for family.

have him fax the GIA to you and make sure it lists a cut grade, and the inclusions are plotted. see the stone in person under various lighting conditions and check it under a loupe. at least that is what i would do, as an amateur. then i would scour pricescope and find all the other things to look for and post the numbers and hope some of the knowledgable folks here chime in. oh, and i would check the stamp inside the ring to be sure it says ''plat 900'' or ''plat 950'' or ''plat'' so you know you are getting platinum and not wg.

for reference, i have a 1.02 VVS1 G color princess, VG polish, GD symmetry, with an EGL cert (thus don''t know cut grade, but it is a sparkly, brilliant diamond) in a simple plat 950 solitaire setting that cost about 5k 6 years ago (about 700 was the setting). i cannot see the inclusions with a loupe.

just my thoughts for what they are worth, i am by no means an expert!

best of luck!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
If it walks like a duck and it looks like a duck, it''s probably a duck.

Alternatively, if it''s too good to be true, it probably is.

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
All your wisdom has been helpful....in NO WAY am I going to be suckered in a sleezy sales pitch nor am I going to buy on emotions.

Independant appraiser....okay things are making sense now! He has a friend who is a "Jeweler", he could have been the one who appraised it then. (?)

I am basically entertaining the offer just because, I''m only about 20% serious.
And doing a deal with family/friends I know isn''t good. At the worse case scenario you guys will get some entertainment value once I get the pic & certificate.

From his email I believe he doesn''t even have the ring, but rather knows where it is at (pawn shop) and just wants to play middle man.

Actually I think I should ask him if he will finance it at 0% for 1 year.
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, an independant appraiser (if after we see the cert it looks good) is definitely key. An independant appraiser will not sell jewlery, will not be affiliated with any stores that do sell jewlery, and will be properly certified and well regarded among his peers.

And, not casting any aspersions of your FBIL, he could very well have had it appraised by someone affliated with him that has a stake in the transaction. Or he could have apparaised it high, just because some appraisers inflate their appraisals to make people think they have a really good deal.

My second last appraisal was inflated. Over 11K for my ring... when in reality its worth less than that.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the "appraisal" value is meaningless if it''s inflated. You need to find an independent appraiser - one who is ONLY an appraiser and not also a jewelery shop owner/seller. I''ll be interested to see if he can get you the stone to take to a reputable appraiser...Also, I dont know if I''d want a pawn shop ring. I dont know, it''s a mojo issue...
20.gif

DesiLu

Rough_Rock
Yeah, sounds "sales-pitchy" to me, as well. He makes it sound like it''s an "AWESOME" deal, the fact that it was appraised at $9000.00 (how reputable is the appraiser in the FIRST place?) *BUT*, he''ll sell it to you for the GREAT price of 3500.00! I guess he forgot to include the bit about, "BUT WAIT...THERE''S MORE!...If you call within the next 10 minutes...."
31.gif

But I''m still curious to see the cert and the ring itself.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe if you act now, and buy it before midnight tonight, you''ll get a set of Ginsu knives thrown in absolutely free?
28.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I just feel if this guy was really interested in helping you out he would *ask* you what you were looking for in a ring, what your budget is, etc... and then work WITH you to find the ring of your dreams rather than just emailing you about one random "deal" out of the blue. If he is in the jewelry trade legitimately he should be able to get you a bunch of different stones and settings you can take a look at in person to compare and pick your favorite.

Also, does your future fiance even want a princess cut stone? Is she particular about the setting? If this ring is what she wants then, by all means, take it to someone to get in independently appraised and see how it turns out. But if its not what she wants (she prefers rounds, wants a different setting, etc...) don''t be afraid to say "no thanks".

Good luck finding a great ring!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Seems a little fishy to me too! I agree that his email sounds more "sales-pitchy" and if he really wanted to help you out he would ask you what you are looking for and work with you to find a diamond you love. I''m still curious to see the cert though...

coach_x+

Rough_Rock

Ladies and Gentlemen we have new email update saga. Here is what is said in the blue letters:

I''m sending you these pictures, as you can probably tell its not the actual ring.
I just want to give you an idea of what it looks like. I have 2 other people that want it for $4000 so let me know what your thinking!! Your welcome to call me too if you want, I''ll try to answer any questions that you have if it makes you more comfirtable.

I thought I asked for a copy of the certification but that email didn''t get sent. My girlfriend said "He''s trying to sell you a picture of a ring that is not the picture of the ring.......the deal is dead honey, he never even gave a reason why he didn''t take a picture of the ring!"

This email blew me away, it was too unreal, I just shook my head.
Ok people tell me......do I drag it out or to I kill the deal.

The one and only ring2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kill it.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let it die.

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
sounds like a scam. i would pass and run away fast.

Diamond_Paul

Rough_Rock
I am by no means a diamond expert. But just looking at the deal face falue:

- He''s offering a $9K ring for $3500? Even at that price, someone is still making money. So rest assured he bought it (or can acquire it) for less than that. The retail markup smells fishy. So if he''s not being honest about the retail price, what else is he not being honest about?
- I''ve been researching the heck out of 1 ct round diamonds. I''ve been looking at stats in the SI2 range, H and I color, and they are anywhere from $3500 - $6000. So, a diamond with much better clarity and color is being offered to you for the same price as the lowest one I could find with much worse clarity and color? To me, that''s another warning sign.

I guess if it''s me, the ONLY way I say yes is get the ring and have it appraised by someone independent. My guess if he tries to talk you out of it, he''s trying to scam you somehow.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, you actually need someone to tell you to kill the deal?

...or you can drag it out and see just how far he's willing to go with this scam.

ETA: It's "you're", not "your" and it's "comfortable", not "comfirtable"...Maybe you can suggest a good spelling class he can go to before he embarks on his next scam. I mean deal. Sorry, I mean "sales call"...

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/15/2007 12:57:42 AM
Author: surfgirl
Seriously, you actually need someone to tell you to kill the deal?

...or you can drag it out and see just how far he''s willing to go with this scam.

ETA: It''s ''you''re'', not ''your'' and it''s ''comfortable'', not ''comfirtable''...Maybe you can suggest a good spelling class he can go to before he embarks on his next scam. I mean deal. Sorry, I mean ''sales call''...

Nah...I know it is a dead deal, kinda giving you guys some humor, it just blew me away of all the red flags but the one that broke the camels back was "comfirtable"
25.gif

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
WHOA........JUST in another email

It''s an IDEAL cut diamonds. Take my word for it dude, it''s a really nice
ring!!! I want to give you first dibs on it cause its at such a good price!
What do you think?

sigh....I wonder what the chances are that this ring is stolen?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

WAY too many unknowns here with this rock, plus if it is part of a shady deal, too risky IMHO.

Run like you have gasoline drawers on!

ETA - also Idea Cut doesn't mean a thing, if the rock in the pic is an example of the diamond in question's cut, I would skedaddle even faster
32.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Whoa -- nice high-pressure sales pitch from a future family member! I would not want to drag this one out, even for entertainment value. (BTW, is he a FBIL because you are marrying his sister or he is marrying your or Sally''s sister?)

If this guy is going to be family, you need a graceful exit. I would tell him that you and Sally have just started looking at rings and she doesn''t know yet what type of stone or setting she wants. You understand he has two buyers interested in the ring and you absolutely do not want to interfere with him making a sale when you are not ready to buy. (Of course, you may get another entertainment opportunity if he offers it to you again despite the other 2 eager buyers.)

I would not buy jewelry from any "jeweler" who calls me "dude."

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Wait, this is your girlfriends brother? He sounds like a sleazeball. I''m sorry, but I just can''t imagine a brother in law being that sales pitchy.

I would email him and say, No deal and please stop pitching it to you. Tell him that you have no interest in buying a ring from him.

Unfortunately I have learned that family memebers can be the WORST because you want to trust but if someone has it in their nature to be sleezy than they will take advantage any way they can.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2007 12:02:42 AM
Author: coach_x+

Ladies and Gentlemen we have new email update saga. Here is what is said in the blue letters:

I''m sending you these pictures, as you can probably tell its not the actual ring.
I just want to give you an idea of what it looks like. I have 2 other people that want it for $4000 so let me know what your thinking!! Your welcome to call me too if you want, I''ll try to answer any questions that you have if it makes you more comfirtable.

I thought I asked for a copy of the certification but that email didn''t get sent. My girlfriend said ''He''s trying to sell you a picture of a ring that is not the picture of the ring.......the deal is dead honey, he never even gave a reason why he didn''t take a picture of the ring!''

This email blew me away, it was too unreal, I just shook my head.
Ok people tell me......do I drag it out or to I kill the deal.

Umm, since you''re buying the ring for her, and your only tie to this guy is through her, and you are wanting to marry her, why don''t you just listen to her!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Does your connection live in Nigeria? Just askin''...........
9.gif
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, you dont need a middle man to buy from a pawn shop, because the price just went up because of him.

Unless, you know what you are doing or if the pawn shop will allow you to take it to an independent appraiser, I would stay away.

Just talk to your girlfriend and both of you get "your story" straight and tell your future brother in law that you have found another stone you are interested in researching for the time being.

Good Luck
MWG

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Actually, these "dude" emails are sad and pathetic, and yet quite entertaining, aren't they? This guy needs to sit himself down and watch some Conjunction Junction because his grammar is about 3rd grader level.
38.gif

Why don't you have some fun and tell him you've decided to get your ering at Tiffany's, and watch his head explode. I know. I'm a bad person. But now I hate to have the Dude Emails ever end...I like to guess how bad the next batch of typos are gonna be!

PS: I still REALLY REALLY want an actual photo of the "dude ring"! I'm imagining a crushed ice CZ.

gg21

Rough_Rock
No dice!

gg21

Rough_Rock
If you really are that desperate to get rid of 3g''s then you can, by all means, send it directly to me. And if you act now I will take it off your hands for absolutly no charge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results