shape
carat
color
clarity

need anniversary idea for Mom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My parents'' 40th anniversary is coming up, and I''ve suggested helping him pick out some jewelry for her (mwah ha ha ha). He is game, although he did suggest a $1000 budget and then asked if that was too "extravagant."
6.gif
But then he got on board and upped it to $1500, and finally said to just throw the budget out the window and show him what''s out there (but I wouldn''t want to suggest anything more than maybe $2250).

My mother never received an engagement ring. Then she got a plain yellow gold band, which irritated her finger. Because she never wore it, she eventually lost it. Thanks to my prodding, she finally got a plain platinum band, but I think she only wears it when I''m around.

Now honestly, I know my mom doesn''t really think you should spend a lot on jewelry, so she certainly won''t be disappointed with my dad''s budget. But I want to make sure that I am convincing my dad to get her something that she''d really like, not just something that I''d like. Maybe she''d rather my dad spend $1000 on something else, but knowing my mother, I have a feeling that knowing how much joy it gave me to pick it out for her will be reason enough to be excited about receiving jewelry. And I don''t think she''d ever suggest spending that much on herself for anything else anyway.

So anyway, we''re thinking some kind of necklace or pendant. We can hardly get her to wear a wedding ring, so that''s out, and she doesn''t have pierced ears. She has a really nice neckline but often wears turtlenecks, so it''s either got to be on a longer chain or she''ll need some new tops too.
1.gif

They live near Philadelphia, and my mom sometimes mentions how she''d like fashionable jewelry like the other ladies in her neighborhood (some of whom resemble Mike Meyers'' Linda Richman, so I''m not quite sure what that means). She''s in her mid 60''s.

Any ideas? Maybe a pendant with a 0.40 point diamond? But I''m thinking something with more shape (as in a circle of life or starburst pendant) and/or color might be what her peers would go for.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about the Bellerina pendant from WF, with an 18 inch chain?? Or the halo necklace like Aljdewey's?? Either would be beautiful. Does she wear bacelets?? They have some nice diamond bangles too. Too bad she doesn't like wearing rings, cause I would suggest a diamond eternity band from Facets....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you sure she wouldn''t wear a ring if it had diamonds in it?

If not, I''d go for a nice pendant, maybe with two different length chains.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How about this gorgeous pave heart pendant from Whiteflash? You can get it with 1.5 carats of ideal cut diamonds for $1495 in white gold or $2350 in platinum and I would go with a 20" chain to make sure it goes over her turtlenecks. It is 16mm by 14mm. I think a heart would make a romantic anniversary gift.

wfpaveheart.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
First I''d make sure she wouldn''t wear a diamond anniversary ring. It would be nice if the gift was something she could look at all the time! If not, the pendant is a great idea. I love the idea of the Bellerina pendant, or the heart looks nice as well. Definitely on a longer chain (20") or so.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Just another vote for a pendant!

*M*

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Goody!!!
36.gif
Fun!
36.gif

What about a pendant like a small diamond surrounded by a halo of sapphires or something? What is the color for a 40th anniversary? Red? Maybe rubies surrounding?

Brilliant_Rock

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
See, I would vote for a reversal. A gorgeous ruby surrounded by a halo of diamonds... Although, a ruby halo would be really unique... hmmm...

*M*

Brilliant_Rock
Haha - that would be beautiful too! I would happily accept either one!

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whats your birthstone? Hers? Siblings?

Maybe your fathers, and mothers birthstone in a pendant?

-G

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 5:48:03 PM
Author:phoenixgirl
My parents'' 40th anniversary is coming up, and I''ve suggested helping him pick out some jewelry for her (mwah ha ha ha). He is game, although he did suggest a $1000 budget and then asked if that was too ''extravagant.''
6.gif
But then he got on board and upped it to $1500, and finally said to just throw the budget out the window and show him what''s out there (but I wouldn''t want to suggest anything more than maybe $2250).

My mother never received an engagement ring. Then she got a plain yellow gold band, which irritated her finger. Because she never wore it, she eventually lost it. Thanks to my prodding, she finally got a plain platinum band, but I think she only wears it when I''m around.

Now honestly, I know my mom doesn''t really think you should spend a lot on jewelry, so she certainly won''t be disappointed with my dad''s budget. But I want to make sure that I am convincing my dad to get her something that she''d really like, not just something that I''d like. Maybe she''d rather my dad spend $1000 on something else, but knowing my mother, I have a feeling that knowing how much joy it gave me to pick it out for her will be reason enough to be excited about receiving jewelry. And I don''t think she''d ever suggest spending that much on herself for anything else anyway.

So anyway, we''re thinking some kind of necklace or pendant. We can hardly get her to wear a wedding ring, so that''s out, and she doesn''t have pierced ears. She has a really nice neckline but often wears turtlenecks, so it''s either got to be on a longer chain or she''ll need some new tops too.
1.gif

They live near Philadelphia, and my mom sometimes mentions how she''d like fashionable jewelry like the other ladies in her neighborhood (some of whom resemble Mike Meyers'' Linda Richman, so I''m not quite sure what that means). She''s in her mid 60''s.

Any ideas? Maybe a pendant with a 0.40 point diamond? But I''m thinking something with more shape (as in a circle of life or starburst pendant) and/or color might be what her peers would go for.
I would do a fishing expidition to narrow it down between a diamond and a gemstone.... my first thought was pendant but if she never got an e-ring I''d be inclined to get her a diamond ring of some sort with him on bended knee asking her to (stay) marry(ied to) him :) Maybe she would be more inclined to wear something if she had something truly fabulous to wear! I''d get a ring like kcoursell but with maybe smaller stones and a little lower set, okay a lot lower set and set in platinum.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My dad was pretty sure my mom wouldn''t wear a ring, and deep down I know he''s right. I don''t think she likes the way it feels on her finger.

I like the idea of the pendant with a halo and some color.

Her birthstone is peridot (not too exciting). So is my sister''s. Mine is diamond (of course!), my dad''s is citrine, and my brother''s is emerald.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results