shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I know nothing about diamonds at the moment (colored stones are my thing) but am happy I can educate myself here. I''m considering getting a new center stone for my wedding ring and just have a few questions. First of all, is it possible to "trade" in diamonds for others? Do jewelry stores do that or does it usually have to be the place the diamond was purchased from? Also, i think I want an asscher cut as I currently have an oval which I''ve never liked that much. Can asscher stones be found at most local stores or are internet vendors my best option? I need to make this change as inexpensively as possible, that is why I''m wondering if stores do trade-ins. Thanks in advance for any help. I know I''ll probably be bugging all of you quite a bit if I decide to do this!

Jess

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jess
35.gif

It can be difficult unfortunately to find a jeweller who will let you trade in a diamond which you didn't purchase from him. Options are reselling yourself, or consignment. I will post a link which will help you with reselling jewellery. Also it is usual to normally get around 50% of what you paid for your diamond when trying to sell it
39.gif

Here you go. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reselling-gems-jewelry-what-can-you-expect.17952/

I think with an Asscher, the internet option might be your best and most inexpensive route. Our StormRider is something of an Asscher conoisseur and if he is on the boards and sees this, he can help you find a " kicken" Asscher! He is a great guy and knows his Asschers. Also you could work with a vendor such as Good Old Gold or Whiteflash who can help you find what you are looking for. Certain round diamonds which they sell are eligable for their lifetime trade up policy, fancy shapes I don't know - you would have to ask them and make sure.

I hope this helps a bit. Also bug away if you have any questions!

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Thank you for such a quick response. That link is great. I would seriously appreciate help from stormrider if he offers! I found my appraisal for my ring and if it helps any, here is what it says about the oval stone: 0.71 ctw of I1 clarity and I-J color. Based on the little I know, that doesn''t sound like a great diamond. It''s pretty to look at though
20.gif
. I want an asscher around the same size and if possible on my budget (and depending on what I might get for the oval) a nicer color and/or clarity, even a little smaller if necessary. I can always upgrade again in the future
31.gif
. Sound doable? Thanks again.

Jess

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome. Hopefully Storm will see this thread and chime in. Does your oval have a GIA grading report? This can make a difference with selling it or trading. Unfortunately if it doesn't have a grading report of some type, then it can be harder to sell, also as it is a lower clarity and colour might make it less desirable too. But not impossible! Try out at the top of the page the Pricescope your Diamond tool. Choose Asscher in the drop down box and the specs you want then you can see what is out there for your budget. Bear in mind too that ovals can tend to look large for their carat weight and Asschers smaller, a .70 Asscher may look a lot smaller than your oval of the same weight. So to get an Asscher of a similar size to the oval, you might have to up the carat weight of it. Also Asschers and step cuts in general may show more colour than rounds and ovals, so you might need to up the colour grade too and definitely the clarity in all likelihood as inclusions can show more.

Check out these 2 for an idea of prices, don't know if they are Stormworthy though!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3190/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3191/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2007 9:32:57 AM
Author: Gem Lover
Thank you for such a quick response. That link is great. I would seriously appreciate help from stormrider if he offers! I found my appraisal for my ring and if it helps any, here is what it says about the oval stone: 0.71 ctw of I1 clarity and I-J color. Based on the little I know, that doesn't sound like a great diamond. It's pretty to look at though
20.gif
. I want an asscher around the same size and if possible on my budget (and depending on what I might get for the oval) a nicer color and/or clarity, even a little smaller if necessary. I can always upgrade again in the future
31.gif
. Sound doable? Thanks again.

Jess
Hi Jess,

When you say this, do you mean ct weight or diameter? Asschers face up small for their size (ct. weight), so to get the same diameter/finger coverage as your oval, you'll need to definitely go bigger in ct. weight.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, I scanned the first part of your post but didn''t read the whole thing. *smack* <--- To me.
9.gif

So I just said what you did, sorry.
41.gif

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Wow! There are a lot of variables here. I was talking ct. I think my ring would actually look fine with a smaller diameter. I''ll try to post a picture of it if I can take a decent one and figure out how to get it on here. My camera does not take good pictures of my jewelry, I''ve tried. Unfortunately, I don''t have a GIA report. Just the appraisal that came with the ring when dh bought it.

Jess

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2007 10:05:30 AM
Author: Ellen
Lorelei, I scanned the first part of your post but didn''t read the whole thing. *smack* <--- To me.
9.gif

So I just said what you did, sorry.
41.gif
face20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2007 10:07:21 AM
Wow! There are a lot of variables here. I was talking ct. I think my ring would actually look fine with a smaller diameter. I''ll try to post a picture of it if I can take a decent one and figure out how to get it on here. My camera does not take good pictures of my jewelry, I''ve tried. Unfortunately, I don''t have a GIA report. Just the appraisal that came with the ring when dh bought it.

Jess
We have given you lots to think about it seems! Are you thinking of resetting your ring with an Asscher instead of an oval? I am just a bit confused when you say your ring would look fine with a smaller diameter. Do you think you would be happy in having your .7 carats looking smaller with an Asscher? Ovals do tend to look large for their weight, it is to me anyway who loves size, a big consideration. That is a shame that the oval doesn''t have a GIA report, it would make selling easier, unfortunately, a jeweller is less likely to be interested in it without one. Selling it privately might be your best option, but if you found an Asscher you liked in a jewellers, you could always see if he might let you part exchange your oval against another diamond.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
You ladies are quick. I thought I''d have to wait awhile for a response but this is great. Actually yes, I would be fine with a smaller look if the overall beauty of my ring is improved (in my eyes at least) with a better cut, color and clarity. As far as rings go, I don''t like big. They look funny on my hand and tend to be to flashy for my taste. I know, I know... probably unheard of here. Shall I bite my tongue now...lol! I''m very content with smaller carat stones for my rings. As long as it fits my ring and is proportioned well, I''ll be happy. I''ll just have to start researching and figure out my options. I love cushion cuts also which may be a better option. Thank you again for sharing your valuable and impressive knowledge. I have a lot to learn.

Jess

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Sorry, yes Lorlei I am planning on resetting it. I love my ring. It''s different than most I''ve seen. I''m just tired of the oval and ready for a change.

Jess

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen and I make a good team and we like to work together! Have a think about what would be best, I have hijacked another Asscher thread for you which Storm was active on yesterday, so I have posted this there so hopefully he will see it soon. Cushions are another lovely choice. I would say if you can, perhaps get out to your local jewellery stores and see if they might have anything Asscher and Cushionwise you can actually look at, then compare with online prices and the cut info you can often find with online vendors. Good old Gold has a good rep for cushions and Jon is a great guy, you could always contact him for advice without any commitment for Asschers. Cushions - Mark at Engagement Rings Direct is your man there! Also check out Whiteflash and Wink Jones too.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2007 10:33:06 AM
Sorry, yes Lorlei I am planning on resetting it. I love my ring. It''s different than most I''ve seen. I''m just tired of the oval and ready for a change.

Jess
Jess, in that case you may need a new head on it as the one which accomodates your oval won''t take an asscher or cushion most probably. You would have to get a jeweller to have a look at your ring to see if this could be done.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2007 10:30:52 AM
You ladies are quick. I thought I''d have to wait awhile for a response but this is great. Actually yes, I would be fine with a smaller look if the overall beauty of my ring is improved (in my eyes at least) with a better cut, color and clarity. As far as rings go, I don''t like big. They look funny on my hand and tend to be to flashy for my taste. I know, I know... probably unheard of here. Shall I bite my tongue now...lol! I''m very content with smaller carat stones for my rings. As long as it fits my ring and is proportioned well, I''ll be happy. I''ll just have to start researching and figure out my options. I love cushion cuts also which may be a better option. Thank you again for sharing your valuable and impressive knowledge. I have a lot to learn.

Jess
No, not unheard of, but you are definitely in the minority. That''s ok though, I tend to be the same way, so you just scootch over here next to me. I''ll protect ya.
9.gif
2.gif

And if you ever have more questions, just ask away. When you get to the point where you have a stone you''re considering, make a thread for it and be sure to put the type of stone in the title, that way it will get the attention it deserves.
28.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2007 10:36:06 AM
Author: Lorelei
Ellen and I make a good team and we like to work together!
Yep, partners in crime we are.
11.gif
9.gif

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
oops....I meant TOO flashy... I never considered the fact that I might not be able to change the head. I may have to scrap this whole idea, save my money, and get a whole new ring! My 10 yr. Ann. is next year. It IS a diamond anniversary, isn''t it?

Jess

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jess
can you post a picture so we can see if the head can be changed please.
A side shot would be best.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2007 10:57:47 AM
Author: strmrdr

Sorry, yes Lorlei I am planning on resetting it. I love my ring. It's different than most I've seen. I'm just tired of the oval and ready for a change.

Jess
can you post a picture so we can see if the head can be changed please.
A side shot would be best.

Thanks Storm!

And Jess, ANY anniversary is a diamond anniversary, especially the 10th!
28.gif
30.gif

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Yes, thank you Storm. I will post a pic asap. Kids are having a meltdown and my camera is out of juice. I look forward to your expert opinion.

Jess

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
OK. I hope this works. My apologies for the terrible picture. Can''t get a clear one close up. Hopefully this will give you at least an idea if a new head is possible. Also please tell me whether or not you think an asscher or cushion would even look good in this setting. Thanks in advance.

Jess

100_1153.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a peg head: you shouldn''t have a problem changing the oval to an asscher .

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Man am I terrible at this. I''ve been trying to post another picture for the last 1/2 hr and just now got it to work. This one''s crummy too though.

100_1156.JPG

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Here''s one I think is a little better. The diamond is not as yellow as in the previous picture.

100_1123.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2007 4:05:52 PM
Author: Chrono
It looks like a peg head: you shouldn''t have a problem changing the oval to an asscher .
Ditto - should be ok, check with your jeweller to be sure.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I will check with him. What is your honest opinion about changing the stone. Would a different shape like asscher or cushion even look good? I''d love any suggestions or ideas.

Jess

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a design symmetry standpoint, I''d set the asscher (corners) on a NSEW angle, instead of the traditional square profile, so that it matches the side stones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 10:22:33 AM
From a design symmetry standpoint, I''d set the asscher (corners) on a NSEW angle, instead of the traditional square profile, so that it matches the side stones.
That''s exactly what I was thinking.

I do wonder though, if all the stones would work with an Asscher, or possibly be competing with each other.

I think if it were me, and budget allowed, I''d get a simple setting with no other stones, and let the Asscher have the spotlight. And if you could/did do that, maybe make earrings out of the sidestones.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2007 10:37:58 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/18/2007 10:22:33 AM
That''s exactly what I was thinking.

I do wonder though, if all the stones would work with an Asscher, or possibly be competing with each other.

I think if it were me, and budget allowed, I''d get a simple setting with no other stones, and let the Asscher have the spotlight. And if you could/did do that, maybe make earrings out of the sidestones.
Thritto that, I was wondering though too assuming an Asscher will face up smaller than the oval, that the side stones might overwhelm it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results