Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

Need Advice On two Diamonds and Price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

superlizzy

Rough_Rock
I have read almost all there is to read on this forum and am pretty set on the following...

-Classic Tiffany Style 6-Prong setting (so far I am set on Superbcert and possibly the Whiteflash)
-1-1.25 ct round diamond
-G color or beter
-VS2 or better
-GIA/AGS certified stone
-and the perfect dimensions

I have this stone which I am considering:

1.27 carat
G color
GIA Ex/Ex/Ex
VS2
Depth 62.1%
Table 55%

Flourescense: Medium Blue
Gridle: Medium / Faceted
Measurements: 6.94-6.98 x 4.32 mm
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 41
Culet: None

The price I can get it for is $7200. What do you guys and gals think about the stone and price?

After doing some side by side comparisons at a few store I also became interested in D color stones for their incredible ice white appearance, so much that it amazed me, and hence I also considering this stone...

1.04 Carat
D color
Gia Ex/Vg/Vg
VS1
Depth 61.0%
Table 57%
Flourescense: None
Gridle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Measurements: 6.54-6.60 x 4.01 mm
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 41.2
Culet: None

The price for this one I can get is $7700. What do you think about this one?

So basically I am in a serious toss up between a D or G at the expense of .25 ct. All the advice and opinions you may have I would love to hear, since I need to buy something soon

Thanks alot,

L.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Superlizzy! WELCOME to the Pricescope forums! Thanks for giving us a chance to be a part of your diamond purchase - pretty exciting, right?

Most of the folks here will want to know crown and pavilion angles also in order to assess the cut and comment on the overall stones - do you have that info? Also, just wondering, are you familiar with the Holloway Cut Advisor tool?

The color thing is really a matter of personal preference. D''s are beautiful, but getting an awesome cut is probably more important. Many people will tell you that you can''t see any color in a G face-up, especially if it''s well-cut.

superlizzy

Rough_Rock
Super exciting!!! :)

I updated the original post and added the crown and pavilion angles as well as the dimensions and culet (the things in red)

I have played with the HCA tool, but I was hoping to get an honest opinion from people here also taking into account the price of both stones.

Ultimately which one will look better and more impresssive on a finger? is the D worth the 0.25 carat sacrifice or is it not?

Also I wanted an opinion that is based on both of them being set in a Tiffany classic 6 prong setting.

Hope those details help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People will notice size first, unless you get an ugly diamond! So there is NO question that I''d choose the G over a smaller D. G is still at the top of the near colorless range and is a great color!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
The G scores better than the D on the HCA, although the score is over 2. Therefore, if the G performs better, the color difference may be a mute point.

If you do a "Search by Cut" under Prices in the toolbar, you may find something with better light performance (like less than 2). You can choose a range of colors and check out the price trade-off. I''m a big fan of F stones personally - "Colorless" without the price premium.

superlizzy

Rough_Rock
I did a search here on prices as well as on a few other sites and it seems like the prices coming back are quite a bit higher than the prices I got.

Does anyone have some feedback on the prices for those two stones?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lizzy. So if you input the parameters for the first stone, the 1.27 G VS2, in a regular search, there are several vendors that appear to have the same stone for less:

Abazias $7043
Engagement Rings Direct $7111
USA Cert $7137
etc.

The price takes into account the discount you usually see for stones with Med+ fluorescence and is the Pricescope price.

The second stone seems very competitively priced. I see a 1.04 D VS2 EX/EX for $7925 on Engagement Rings Direct, but I don''t see the diamond proportions listed. It is a VS2 vs. the VS1 of your stone.

You are asking a classic question about the size-color trade-off. It''s a tough one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.