shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on a round diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for around a 1/2 carat diamond for a necklace. I want lower color/clarity so I can get a bigger size, but want a fantastic cut, of course. I also need fluorescence :)

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 5.26 - 5.30 x 3.14 mm
Carat Weight: 0.53 carat
Color Grade: K
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 59.5%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 32.5°
Crown Height: 13.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

I plugged the diamond I want into the cut advisor and it got a 1.1

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight Excellent

I''m not so sure I want an ideal cut diamond because from what I understand, they are small for their size.

Is there anything I''m missing? This one looks good to me! I''m ready to buy but would like opinions!

THank you so much!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You definitely want an ideal cut diamond because given how sparkly they are to the edge of the stone, they actually can look larger than poorer cut larger stones.

This stone is generally well-cut and should be bright and sparkly, but the table is a tad large for my personal taste. This is fine and mostly boils down to preference.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
thank you! I guess maybe I'm not ready to buy yet then :)

edit
Ok, I just read up on table size
that makes sense now, why the scintillation is only very good.
I'm still thinking about getting it. It's not for my e-ring kwim?

Would love more opinions, I want a gorgeous diamond and can't wait, but I don't want to miss this one if it's a good one, it's a decent price!

thank you thank you!!!!! :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 6:40:08 PM
Author: purpleshirt
thank you! I guess maybe I''m not ready to buy yet then :)

edit
Ok, I just read up on table size
that makes sense now, why the scintillation is only very good.
I''m still thinking about getting it. It''s not for my e-ring kwim?

Would love more opinions, I want a gorgeous diamond and can''t wait, but I don''t want to miss this one if it''s a good one, it''s a decent price!

thank you thank you!!!!! :)
You''ll have to decide whether it is the right one for you. If it''s priced really well, it might be a contender. However, what is your budget? Maybe we can look to see if we can find something in your budget that is slightly better cut.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
thanks kcoursolle. I guess I just don't have enough experience to know if it's the diamond for me without seeing it

I want to spend tops in the low $800's for the diamond, ideally in the $700's

I've been searching for .44's & up, down to an M, with medium Fluorescence, down to Si2

thanks for your help!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 7:01:55 PM
thanks kcoursolle. I guess I just don''t have enough experience to know if it''s the diamond for me without seeing it

I want to spend tops in the low $800''s for the diamond, ideally in the $700''s

I''ve been searching for .44''s & up, down to an M, with medium Fluorescence, down to Si2

thanks for your help!!!
I''ll see what I can dig up. Do you want an upgrade policy for the diamond?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want a smaller diamond with icey white color here is a very well cut .44 F/Si for $722 with their discount:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1225063.asp

Here is a .61 J/I1, but it looks very nice for an I1 and I wouldn''t hesitate to get an I1 for a pendant. It should be just under $800 with the price scope discount (you have to ask for this):
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-I1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1230465.asp
-the cert they have for this stone is wrong by the way, so make sure to get the right one from them and double check the numbers, but it looks very promising and a great size for the price!!

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
thank you so much for looking for me! I need florescence for my diamonds, at least medium. It a very strong preference for me.

I don''t really need an upgrade policy. I tend to collect things and if I want something bigger/better, I just get another one lol

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 7:36:51 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
This looks like a good one. Slightly on the high side at 828.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-i-color-si1-clarity_LD01092845?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0
This does look nice, although I can''t quite read the crown/pavillion angles when I zoom in.

If you don''t need an upgrade policy, and do need blue flour, then definitely check out BN since they have a huge inventory and low prices. You may have a trickier time finding an SI that is eye clean though, but many SI1 stones are. They also often have 10% off coupons if you use a code, I would google and try to find one.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2009 6:30:25 PM
Author: kcoursolle
You definitely want an ideal cut diamond because given how sparkly they are to the edge of the stone, they actually can look larger than poorer cut larger stones.
Ditto. Stepping up in cut quality is a great way to maximize apparent size.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! I am so grateful for the help. I'm going to look at this BN diamond & SB more after dinner. Off the top of my head, the only concern I have the the fluro is strong, and I don't think BN has diamonds in house, so they can't confirm if it's not oily in appearance. I want a strong fl. diamond though. One of my diamonds is med fluor and sometimes I wish I could see it more strongly

Does BN offer a PS discount? I don't think they do, but thought I'd ask :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately no for both vendors.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 8:14:08 PM
Thank you so much! I am so grateful for the help. I''m going to look at this BN diamond & SB more after dinner. Off the top of my head, the only concern I have the the fluro is strong, and I don''t think BN has diamonds in house, so they can''t confirm if it''s not oily in appearance. I want a strong fl. diamond though. One of my diamonds is med fluor and sometimes I wish I could see it more strongly

Does BN offer a PS discount? I don''t think they do, but thought I''d ask :)
It is quite rare that strong flour negatively impacts a stone and this is something you could judge easily when you get it. You can always return the stone if this is an issue. You''ll be able to tell almost immediately if the stone is "milky" in sunlight, but it probably won''t be.

BN doesn''t have a ps discount, but you can often find coupon codes for 10% or so.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the recent coupon for BN just expired on the 1st Apr.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 7:58:40 PM
Author: John Pollard

Date: 4/8/2009 6:30:25 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Ditto. Stepping up in cut quality is a great way to maximize apparent size.
Thritto.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results