shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice Maxi Blue Topaz 2.58ct

KRYPTON1TE

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I was recently in a stopover in Sri Lanka and bought a SEEMS TO BE maxi blue Topaz from a gem supplier inside the international boarding area its a 2.58ct teardrop shape cut Topaz, I must say its very well cut, could someone on here with appraisal knowledge give me a rough estimation on the value of the stone? I just want to know if I made a good investment even though I know it's not alot thanks

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone, I was recently in a stopover in Sri Lanka and bought a SEEMS TO BE maxi blue Topaz from a gem supplier inside the international boarding area its a 2.58ct teardrop shape cut Topaz, I must say its very well cut, could someone on here with appraisal knowledge give me a rough estimation on the value of the stone? I just want to know if I made a good investment even though I know it's not alot thanks
we can't give any info based on what you said, unfortunately. We can't see how well it's cut, or the color. In general, gems, diamonds, and jewelry in general is not a good investment. The minute you buy it (like a car) it loses value. And if you purchased it in the international boarding area then I almost guarantee you overpaid. Obviously it can still be a great stone that makes you happy, but it certainly isn't going to be an investment, and you won't be able to sell for anywhere near what you paid.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if it's the stone in your avatar (which is a tiny pic, so it's a bit hard to tell), it has a large window and doesn't look well cut to me.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Blue topaz is relatively inexpensive, but it does look like a really nice color. $30-75 / ct. is probably a decent estimate??

KRYPTON1TE

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, we'll I actually bought it for my fiance since she loves blue so much, sorry I'm still looking for a way to upload a better pic, as mentioned it is 2.58ct and I only paid $45, worth to mention I also negotiated on the price heavily as I took out a newly purchased loupe and pretended I knew alot about gems lol :confused::bigsmile:

KRYPTON1TE

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, we'll I actually bought it for my fiance since she loves blue so much, sorry I'm still looking for a way to upload a better pic, as mentioned it is 2.58ct and I only paid $45, worth to mention I also negotiated on the price heavily as I took out a newly purchased loupe and pretended I knew alot about gems lol :confused::bigsmile:
I retract that price I said, I paid ZAR 450 that's about $ 30 - 35 I wil try to upload a better photo

KRYPTON1TE

Rough_Rock
After looking up the stand I bought it from it on the invoice seems to be from ZAM Gems company Sri Lanka they seem to be well respected in their quality so I feel a bit at ease now and happy with the purchase

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
it has a window and a plastic color, sorry, don't take it personal.

mermaid

Rough_Rock
If you're looking for a similar color range stone that is much more prized, I'd shop for a fine aquamarine. But before you do that, I'd also do a bit of research and gain knowledge.

Just my .02. Luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you overpaid unfortunately. I see 10+ carat blue topaz in silver settings on television being hawked at for way less than $100. At least you didn’t pay hundreds or thousands, but you definitely overpaid.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you overpaid unfortunately. I see 10+ carat blue topaz in silver settings on television being hawked at for way less than $100. At least you didn’t pay hundreds or thousands, but you definitely overpaid.
If he paid $35, then its not bad. Anything over $100 and I'd say he wayyyyy overpaid. But for $35 it seems perfectly fine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he paid $35, then its not bad. Anything over $100 and I'd say he wayyyyy overpaid. But for $35 it seems perfectly fine.
Well actually, I just saw medium toned 12 carat blue topaz in a silver mount, with fancy cutting for $60, but $35 for a 2 carat unset stone isn’t something to lose sleep over.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a london blue topaz in Sri Lanka as well .Overpaid. a lot. But it's a memory and a souvenir. Your stone is a fun memento of a trip. Treat it as such. If you have a dremmel you could try piercing it, then attaching a thin chain or cord, thus avoiding having to pay for a setting.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
The price seems slightly inflated for blue topaz but not bad whatsoever. Just know that it isnt worth too much but it can sure be beautiful to look at!
& that is amazingly sweet of you that youve paid attention to what your significant other likes and purchased something accordingly. What a sweet gesture!

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results