shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice - Is this a good diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
I have done a lot of reasearch on my own and i am happy with everything about this diamond from what i see. The only thing i am unsure of is what is stated about the girdle on the GIA report. If someone here could help me confirm if this is good or bad it would be greatly appreciated.

Purchasing the diamond from bluenile.ca (Canada) Link is below to access the report.

http://www.bluenile.ca/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-e-colour-vvs2-clarity_LD01100597

Color: E
Carat: 0.5
Cut: Excellent
Clarity: VVS2

Table: 55%
Depth: 62.2%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent

Girdle: thin to medium (on the report it also says 3% and i dont know what that means)
33.gif

I have put this on hold for now so if someone can help me soon i would really appreaciate it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a little steep in the pavilion angle for the corresponding crown angle, so will result in some light leakage. Not that great a stone, the 3% refers to the thickness of the girdle, that is good, nothing to worry about there.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you really want that high a colorless and clarity grade? It commands a large premium and most people would not be able to notice the difference between a E VVS2 and a G VS2 or even and eye-clean SI1, and you can get a bigger stone as a result.

We can help you find a better cut stone, just state your budget and requirement. Do you prefer to just buy from BN Canada, or are you open to other US vendors?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

This diamond is actually described as a steep deep, both the crown and pavilion angle are too steep and deep to work well together. It would be better to have them both a bit shallower, for example crown 34.5, pavilion 40.8. The trouble with steep deep diamonds is that this can result in light leakage which you don't want. Further as GIA round the numbers an Idealscope image would be able to tell us if there was light leakage depending on which way the numbers are rounded it might not be a problem, but BN do not offer any images unfortunately. So I would look for another diamond with ' safer' angles as above if you prefer to buy from BN.

The girdle is not a problem at 3%, it is medium - within good range.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
I am new new to diamonds and i thought that GIA grading was the best and most accurate available. I will look for something with better proportions then. Thanks for you''re help. Also a reply to the post above... i am willing to purchase from a US based site as long as there are good shipping options available.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA cut grade has a lot of leeway in what is their Ex range, which allows some light leakage, light the one you describe. Use the HCA to weed out these, anything scoring <2 could be a good candidate and should be evaluated with IS/ASET scope to differentiate between these.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'd get this one over the other one any day: 0.51 E VVS2 It spreads a bit bigger and has a better crown/pavilion angle combination, although it does have medium flourescence.

But if you're not set on Blue Nile, then I'd try running your specs through the search by cut engine here. You'll find a lot more information on those stones to help you make your decision.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 11:34:44 AM
Author: jmiranda
I am curious about this diamond here.

http://www.bluenile.ca/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-e-colour-vs1-clarity_LD01112145?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

I entered the information in the HCA program here and it falls slightly out of the AGS range. However the bluenile report has information stating that the white light reflected back is the most possible even though the pavillion angle is slightly larger than i think it should be based on the comments above. I am very confused.
33.gif
The pavilion angle is a bit too steep for my liking, even if the crown angle was more shallow, so I would aim for a pavilion angle of between 40.6 and 41 degrees and a crown angle of around 34- 35 degrees. This should get you a good diamond. GIA round the numbers so without Idealscope images it is very hard to evaluate these diamonds, it could be a great looking rock or it might not be. I wouldn't go by vendor applied descriptions of a diamond's beauty or performance as above as this will not guarantee you a good stone, so evaluate each carefully as you are doing - and you are asking the right questions!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:57:15 PM
What do you guys think of these.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2080656.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-18976.htm

I ran them through the HCA and it falls within range. I''m not too sure if the idealscope images are good or not and if the symmetry shown are that great.
I think they look great! The second stone is a teeny tiny bit deep, but it''s not impacting performance.

Personally though, I''d drop in color and clarity and go larger or save a bundle. The G/SI range should look pretty much the same (many SI stones are completely eye clean), why pay for what you can''t see?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 1:57:15 PM
What do you guys think of these.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2080656.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-18976.htm

I ran them through the HCA and it falls within range. I'm not too sure if the idealscope images are good or not and if the symmetry shown are that great.
These look good, the first IS shows some painting which it notes on the grading report, however it is still a good diamond in my opinion. The second is a bit deep for my preferences, it still looks good but just a bit too much depth for my liking. Also colour and clarity choices are a personal preference, if you want higher grades for these then it is perfectly fine, not everyone wants to go lower in order to save money or get a bigger diamond as they have other priorities.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a suggestion for you:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2095780.htm#

0.538 ct F VS2 Whiteflash ACA

Report: AGS
. Shape: Whiteflash ACA
. Carat: 0.538
. Depth %: 61.7
. Table %: 57.2
. Crown Angle: 34.7
. Crown %: 14.9
. Star : 52
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 77
. Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 5.20-5.21X3.21
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

HCA 1.5-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I have eliminated the second stone i posted. Lorelei, what do you mean when you say that the first stone is painted. I have heard that the tip of the culet can be painted blue to change the color of the diamond slightly. I am almost sure this is''nt what you are referring to so could you explain that furthur if possible (sorry, i''m still an amature at this)?

Also, thanks girlie-girl for you''re pick on the diamond you posted. I personally think it looks better than the ones i picked and so far seems like my best choice. Does anyone else have an opinion on the stone or should i jump on it.
1.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 8:37:36 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I have eliminated the second stone i posted. Lorelei, what do you mean when you say that the first stone is painted. I have heard that the tip of the culet can be painted blue to change the color of the diamond slightly. I am almost sure this is'nt what you are referring to so could you explain that furthur if possible (sorry, i'm still an amature at this)?

Also, thanks girlie-girl for you're pick on the diamond you posted. I personally think it looks better than the ones i picked and so far seems like my best choice. Does anyone else have an opinion on the stone or should i jump on it.
1.gif
You're welcome, I am happy you liked my pick. If you're not ready to choose, we can always keep looking to see if there are any other similar options you might like. I was trying to guess budget-wise based on the other stones you posted.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 8:37:36 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I have eliminated the second stone i posted. Lorelei, what do you mean when you say that the first stone is painted. I have heard that the tip of the culet can be painted blue to change the color of the diamond slightly. I am almost sure this is'nt what you are referring to so could you explain that furthur if possible (sorry, i'm still an amature at this)?

Also, thanks girlie-girl for you're pick on the diamond you posted. I personally think it looks better than the ones i picked and so far seems like my best choice. Does anyone else have an opinion on the stone or should i jump on it.
1.gif
Painting is a girdle treatment, it can be a ' swindling' strategy used to retain carat weight to hit certain weight ranges ( 1 carat and so on) or a way to enhance desirable visual properties in a high quality cut diamond, this article explains further.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/45/1/Visible-Effects-of-Painting--Digging-on-Superideal-Diamonds.aspx

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 12:26:06 PM
Author: girlie-girl

You''re welcome, I am happy you liked my pick. If you''re not ready to choose, we can always keep looking to see if there are any other similar options you might like. I was trying to guess budget-wise based on the other stones you posted.
I am looking to make the purchase within the next week or so. The diamond i am looking for should be under $2300 US, budget wise. I think i am going to put the one you suggested on hold for now as it seems like the best thing i have come across so far, unless i run into something better of course. Thanks again. and any input from anyone else on this paticular diamond would be appreciated as well.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2095780.htm#

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still prefer the one you put on hold. Unless you want the size, than go for the .59c stone. :razz:

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Perfect. I am going to purchase that stone tommorrow. Thanks to everone who helped me pick the stone. I will post up pictures of the custom ring I am having made here in toronto when its complete. Special thanks to girlie-girl for finding that specific stone for me.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 9:35:12 AM
Perfect. I am going to purchase that stone tommorrow. Thanks to everone who helped me pick the stone. I will post up pictures of the custom ring I am having made here in toronto when its complete. Special thanks to girlie-girl for finding that specific stone for me.
1.gif
GG picked a good one for you - congrats!!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:37:09 AM
Author: Lorelei

1.gif
Jmiranda I''m happy to have been able to help.
love1.gif
I hope you love it when you see it and I''m excited to see pictures of it in its final "home".

Thanks Lorelei!
1236095icwbwasd8f.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 1:42:47 PM
Author: girlie-girl

Date: 4/16/2009 9:37:09 AM
Author: Lorelei

1.gif
Jmiranda I'm happy to have been able to help.
love1.gif
I hope you love it when you see it and I'm excited to see pictures of it in its final 'home'.

Thanks Lorelei!
1236095icwbwasd8f.gif
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/31.gif[/img]

You did good my friend and are a big help here!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I received the diamond from whiteflash and it looks great. They provided me with a free viewing scope and other equipment which i was very pleased with. Overall a very good online buying experience. Now i am getting the ring made and i am faced with another dilemma which i can see has been discussed many times on this forum.

WHITE GOLD VS. PLATINUM.

My jeweler has told me that platinum will scratch easier than 19k white gold and that with the plating, white gold is shinier that platinum. I have one question that i could''nt find answered on this forum though. With an extremely intricate design, can the platinum be polished easily, and also, how often would i need to polish the platinum if i wanted to keep the shiny look. I also would''nt mind getting a general opinion of 19k white gold vs. platinum from you guys. This is just as hard a decision as picking the diamond itself.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
OK... GOOD OR BAD NEWS?
33.gif

I just went to a local gemologist and he pointed something out to me. He showed me a slight cloudiness under a 40x which i think you can see in the pic below. He says it could be a bad rough diamond or it could be the negligible flourecence mentioned on the AGSL cert also below. Is this normal if it is flourecence?/ Is it normal for a bad rough to not be mentioned on a cert or by whiteflash. It can only be seen near the edge in one spot and he could notice it with a 10x but i could''nt. Also does this bring down the value of the diamond? and was it priced right (from the links above)? Since it is eye clean does this affect the way it shines?

I am so confused and maybe angry if this is a bad diamond.
33.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who is your local gemologist? Is he an independent appraiser?

Clarity is graded at 10X face-up, at higher magnifications of course you can see more. Your gemologist sound like he has some other agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results