shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice - Is this a good diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 8:06:02 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Who is your local gemologist? Is he an independent appraiser?

Clarity is graded at 10X face-up, at higher magnifications of course you can see more. Your gemologist sound like he has some other agenda.
Well he said the clarity is still what is mentioned on the cert (vs2). This is someone who my jeweler has shown the stone to who is a certified gemologist. He says that it could be a bad rough diamond or it could be flourecence. He did''nt do a full appraisal. I will be doing that once it is set in the ring. I am totally confused by this and I have no clue what i am looking at under the microscope. It does look a little cloudy as you can see from the pic.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
And also, I dont believe this is a plot to sell me another stone because the jeweler said he is going to set the stone that i gave him.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:02:16 PM
Author: jmiranda
Date: 5/27/2009 8:06:02 PM

Author: Stone-cold11

Who is your local gemologist? Is he an independent appraiser?

Clarity is graded at 10X face-up, at higher magnifications of course you can see more. Your gemologist sound like he has some other agenda.

Well he said the clarity is still what is mentioned on the cert (vs2). This is someone who my jeweler has shown the stone to who is a certified gemologist. He says that it could be a bad rough diamond or it could be flourecence. He did'nt do a full appraisal. I will be doing that once it is set in the ring. I am totally confused by this and I have no clue what i am looking at under the microscope. It does look a little cloudy as you can see from the pic.

He is talking nonsense, a rough or polish stone will always have inclusions, clouds, feather, whatever. Even for IF stone if you go up high enough in magnifications, there will be imperfection as the IF grade is only given at 10X mag. So what is his definition of a good rough?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I''m just retyping a quote from one of your earlier posts: "Well he said the clarity is still what is mentioned on the cert (vs2)." To me, I read this as he''s not saying that the stone''s clarity is less than what the vendor/AGS cert. reported, so he''s not challenging the clarity grade that the stone received. The stone looks beautiful. If you do a search on this site for Whiteflash ACA you will see many beautiful stones. If the stone looks beautiful to you as you view it (you''re not wearing a microscope around your neck, I hope!) that is what counts, because your stone is certainly well cut with great clarity and color.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
That is a ridiculous statement this guy is making - first of all, negligible fluor means just that - its
negligible - it does not impact the stone at all.
And if he knew what he was talking about, he would know even very strong fluor very very rarely can make a diamond
cloudy - this is a fact.
Secondly, nobody grades diamonds, and certainly nobody wears them , under 40x mag.
Therefore, unless you can see the cloud with your naked eye (or perhaps under a 10x loupe), it is
completely irrelevant - he confirms he is not disputing the grade, therefore by definition we know this stone is completely eye clean.
Plus, you yourself said you really like the stone and its very attractive, correct?
Thirdly, what in the heck is a "bad rough?" - there is rough with more inclusions, less inclusions etc -
which is how we get the resulting grades. But I don''t believe that a make such as ACA would ever be cut from "bad rough" - this simply sounds like typical internet diamond bashing to me.
Don''t be so sure he isn''t angling for a sale - he has made you doubt your purchase, say you than return it - you are primed for the "Well, let''s help you find one of our diamonds that isn''t cut from "bad rough"" line..

Please take your A+ diamond to a proper independent appraiser once it is mounted - this guy doesn''t know
what he''s on about.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lets see if I can help here....

Firstly the diamond has negligible fluorescence which is the same as none to extremely faint - which means that there will be NO real effect from it whatsoever. So that isn't a problem. Second, the diamond is of VS2 clarity with a cloud plotted which which should not be an issue in that grade - also diamonds are graded under 10x power not 40 - of course more will be seen in that case.

What are the credentials of this appraiser, is he an independant gemological appraiser or one who sells diamonds?

ETA - just saw AJ'S post, she brings up some excellent points.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
I gave to stone to my jeweler to be set and he showed it to one of his friends who he said is a gemologist because i asked him if he could get it appraised (i''m not sure but he mentioned something about this guy getting training at HRD or something in belgium and has been certified for 3 years).

So can flourecence occur just in one spot if viewed under a 40x or even a 10x or does it have to be through the whole diamond?. I think im just going to go in and compare the diamond to one of the best he has just to see if it sparkles any less. That would make me feel a little better about it if anything.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2009 8:46:38 AM
I gave to stone to my jeweler to be set and he showed it to one of his friends who he said is a gemologist because i asked him if he could get it appraised (i'm not sure but he mentioned something about this guy getting training at HRD or something in belgium and has been certified for 3 years).

So can flourecence occur just in one spot if viewed under a 40x or even a 10x or does it have to be through the whole diamond?. I think im just going to go in and compare the diamond to one of the best he has just to see if it sparkles any less. That would make me feel a little better about it if anything.
I don't believe fluorescence can be seen in just one spot in a diamond as it is seen throughout, but this wouldn't apply in this case anyway as the diamond in question has none to negligible fluorescence...

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 8:52:48 AM
Author: Lorelei

I gave to stone to my jeweler to be set and he showed it to one of his friends who he said is a gemologist because i asked him if he could get it appraised (i''m not sure but he mentioned something about this guy getting training at HRD or something in belgium and has been certified for 3 years).

I don''t believe fluorescence can be seen in just one spot in a diamond as it is seen throughout, but this wouldn''t apply in this case anyway as the diamond in question has none to negligible fluorescence...
So is the cloudiness at the edge an inclusion? It is not shown on the cert.

Also based on what he said. Can you actually have a bad rough diamond that would not be stated on a cert. What is a bad rough?

I''m sorry if my questions are repetitive in anyway. I am just trying to figure out what kind of stone i have here and if it is really worth what I paid for it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2009 10:46:45 AM

I gave to stone to my jeweler to be set and he showed it to one of his friends who he said is a gemologist because i asked him if he could get it appraised (i'm not sure but he mentioned something about this guy getting training at HRD or something in belgium and has been certified for 3 years).

I don't believe fluorescence can be seen in just one spot in a diamond as it is seen throughout, but this wouldn't apply in this case anyway as the diamond in question has none to negligible fluorescence...

Also based on what he said. Can you actually have a bad rough diamond that would not be stated on a cert. What is a bad rough?

I'm sorry if my questions are repetitive in anyway. I am just trying to figure out what kind of stone i have here and if it is really worth what I paid for it.
It is possible it is an inclusion yes, but that is not something to worry about in VS2 clarity and in a diamond of that size, its fine.

Also as far as I am aware there is really no such thing as ' bad rough', the only way this could apply to gem quality diamonds is for those on the lower end such as I2/13 clarity which is badly included. Some of this quality might end up in inexpensive jewellery, bargain rings, bracelets etc. However rough diamonds are carefully evaluated, most lesser quality rough which is by far the most common result of the collection process is used for industrial diamonds, this quality does not find its way into top cut AGS0 graded branded h&a gems!

I can assure you that you have a top cut quality diamond which is also graded by one of the most respected diamond grading laboratories in the world. Really it does not get much better than the diamond you have there. ANY diamond is going to show more in the way of inclusions at 40x power, however this is not how diamonds are graded - 10x is used. Even a flawless diamond will show something at higher power than 10x mag, so really it isn't an accurate comparison using a higher power than the respected grading labs use - which is again 10x.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the assurance. I will get it appraised independantly through another company and see what comes out of it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Good! I''m glad to hear you''re getting another appraisal! I predict you''ll get a different result (and a very pleasant one, too!).

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

I don''t believe fluorescence can be seen in just one spot in a diamond as it is seen throughout, but this wouldn''t apply in this case anyway as the diamond in question has none to negligible fluorescence...

I''m sorry if my questions are repetitive in anyway. I am just trying to figure out what kind of stone i have here and if it is really worth what I paid for it.

Hrmm..I''m pretty sure I answered these questions above.
33.gif

Nothing like posting a big long answer addressing all the questions, just to be ignored
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was a good post Hon!!
35.gif

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 10:25:43 PM
Author: arjunajane

Hrmm..I''m pretty sure I answered these questions above.
33.gif

Nothing like posting a big long answer addressing all the questions, just to be ignored
20.gif
14.gif
I totally apologize. I''ve just been so busy and frantic with work and i was reading through the posts quickly. You did provide me with all the information I needed. Thanks again and apologies.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 5:21:35 AM
It was a good post Hon!!
35.gif

fankies bruddah lozza
13.gif

jmiranda, thats ok I understand, you''re welcome. I hope you decide to keep the stone after the independent
appraisal, I''m sure you''ll be happy. Good luck!

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 12:04:01 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 5/29/2009 5:21:35 AM
It was a good post Hon!!
35.gif

fankies bruddah lozza
13.gif

jmiranda, thats ok I understand, you''re welcome. I hope you decide to keep the stone after the independent
appraisal, I''m sure you''ll be happy. Good luck!
Just an update. I took the stone to harold weinstein (independant appraiser) here in toronto and the stone is as plotted on the agsl cert. The appraisal also showed the value of the stone to be $4900, which is double what i paid for it. I will definately be keeping the stone as I have peace of mind now. I will definately not be using the same jeweller again and will have a talk with him about this. Thanks to everyone who answered all my questions here on PS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results