shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice in purchasing a round diamond for engagement ring

Petty

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I m looking at several round diamonds from James Allen, is it better to get a bigger 2.01 carat with excellent cut, VVS2 but J color (pictures attached) or should I settle with a smaller 1.74 Carat, H color, VVS2, excellent cut? Could i get away with a platinum Tiffany inspired 6 prong setting with the J color diamond (has a nice top view)? Is there a better setting to hide side profile but is still elegant?
What is the consensus on what women prefer- bigger diamond to the naked eye view or better on paper but smaller diamond. The 1.74 carat cost $370 more the the 2.01 carat.

11788415_Side.PNG 11788415_Top.PNG HCATool1.PNG 11788415_SCOPE.PNG 17192P.PNG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a link to the other option?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your question is certainly a common issue among buyers. "What diamond should I pick?" Letting others give you their guidance will show you there is a lot more to making a choice of what diamond to buy other than just weight and color differences.

A large factor is that not all GIA3EX excellent cut diamonds are all just as well cut as one another. You need to look deeper. Another issue is if the person getting the diamond is color sensitive enough to see the tint of a J color. Some folks claim to easily see this while many others would say it is sufficiently colorless. Maybe someone else will suggest considering an I color VS1 alternative and make your problem larger instead of smaller.

It is a very personal choice. Would you like a mid-sized car with many accessories or a full sized car with just a couple of accessories? They may cost a very similar amount, but you end up deciding what suits you best even after you get opinions from friends and family.

Very well cut diamonds do a great job masking any slight tint of color due to their strong light return capability. Less well cut diamonds will show a bit of tint at J color which is not quite as visible at H color, but still present. Nearly no diamonds listed on Pricescope have huge cutting problems. Almost all the GIA graded round diamonds are "Excellent" cut by GIA's somewhat liberal standards. The liberal character of the GIA system means you need to look most deeply at cut quality. That's the real important matter for getting a great looking diamond. Lots of information is available on Pricescope in the EDUCATION sections. It will guide you to more knowledge and is fact based rather than just personal opinions. You can use both methods to learn more, but the tutorials should prove helpful to making your own valid decision.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.74 looks like a worse cut to me vs the one you first linked.

Would you ever want to upgrade? If yes, then we can help you find something smaller and you could upgrade to something larger later.

Petty

Rough_Rock
The 1.74 looks like a worse cut to me vs the one you first linked.

Would you ever want to upgrade? If yes, then we can help you find something smaller and you could upgrade to something larger later.

Realistically I dont think i will ever upgrade, is it better to add a few more thousands now to my budget and find a better spec? The 2 carat was just future proofing it and also a bonus bragging rights.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Realistically I dont think i will ever upgrade, is it better to add a few more thousands now to my budget and find a better spec? The 2 carat was just future proofing it and also a bonus bragging rights.

I think it's ultimately up to you (assuming you are the one wearing the ring). A J color will have tint, but I don't mind color so I would personally try to find the best possible cut in my budget. What is your max budget?

Petty

Rough_Rock
Your question is certainly a common issue among buyers. "What diamond should I pick?" Letting others give you their guidance will show you there is a lot more to making a choice of what diamond to buy other than just weight and color differences.

A large factor is that not all GIA3EX excellent cut diamonds are all just as well cut as one another. You need to look deeper. Another issue is if the person getting the diamond is color sensitive enough to see the tint of a J color. Some folks claim to easily see this while many others would say it is sufficiently colorless. Maybe someone else will suggest considering an I color VS1 alternative and make your problem larger instead of smaller.

It is a very personal choice. Would you like a mid-sized car with many accessories or a full sized car with just a couple of accessories? They may cost a very similar amount, but you end up deciding what suits you best even after you get opinions from friends and family.

Very well cut diamonds do a great job masking any slight tint of color due to their strong light return capability. Less well cut diamonds will show a bit of tint at J color which is not quite as visible at H color, but still present. Nearly no diamonds listed on Pricescope have huge cutting problems. Almost all the GIA graded round diamonds are "Excellent" cut by GIA's somewhat liberal standards. The liberal character of the GIA system means you need to look most deeply at cut quality. That's the real important matter for getting a great looking diamond. Lots of information is available on Pricescope in the EDUCATION sections. It will guide you to more knowledge and is fact based rather than just personal opinions. You can use both methods to learn more, but the tutorials should prove helpful to making your own valid decision.

I ve been reading the educational sections along with a few other sites but Im still a novice to this. Ive got the Holloway Cut advisor done, and the red scope diagram. The cut seems decent.

I have been looking for an engagement ring closer to a year now. Somehow my budget seems to increase as I wait for the perfect diamond. Ive used the similar analogy to my friend, do I want the top of the line quad cab F-150 with every feature and desired color or do I want the cheapest F-350 dually with no options and undesired yellow color?
I think it's ultimately up to you (assuming you are the one wearing the ring). A J color will have tint, but I don't mind color so I would personally try to find the best possible cut in my budget. What is your max budget?

Im not wearing it, it's for my girlfriend, which is more important. The HCA is at 0.7, and from what I can see with the black arrows, This 2 carat diamond is one of the better cuts I came across.

The budget was originally 10K for diamond and ring. Due to overthinking, it has now increased a lot. The 2.01 carat listed above about is $12,300 and the ring is about $1072 after taxes its $14k.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ve been reading the educational sections along with a few other sites but Im still a novice to this. Ive got the Holloway Cut advisor done, and the red scope diagram. The cut seems decent.

I have been looking for an engagement ring closer to a year now. Somehow my budget seems to increase as I wait for the perfect diamond. Ive used the similar analogy to my friend, do I want the top of the line quad cab F-150 with every feature and desired color or do I want the cheapest F-350 dually with no options and undesired yellow color?

Im not wearing it, it's for my girlfriend, which is more important. The HCA is at 0.7, and from what I can see with the black arrows, This 2 carat diamond is one of the better cuts I came across.

The budget was originally 10K for diamond and ring. Due to overthinking, it has now increased a lot. The 2.01 carat listed above about is $12,300 and the ring is about $1072 after taxes its $14k.

Do you know if shes color sensitive? That's the most important thing when contemplating a warmer stone. Some people are fine with it, and others are super bothered by it. And does she want a 2ct? Or would she prefer a 1.5ct thats more icy white?

Petty

Rough_Rock
I dont know if she is color sensitive since we never talked about the ring. I want to surprise her while on a trip.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Is there any way to hint around and find out her preference on color? I am sensitive to color and prefer a whiter diamond, even if it means a smaller diamond! If you can’t find out on the sly, I would err on the side of caution and choose a higher color. Just my 2 cents….

Petty

Rough_Rock
Is there any way to hint around and find out her preference on color? I am sensitive to color and prefer a whiter diamond, even if it means a smaller diamond! If you can’t find out on the sly, I would err on the side of caution and choose a higher color. Just my 2 cents….

Thank you, I will try to work that in a conversation somehow. She thinks I'm a miser so we dont talk about jewelry. I will also continue to look.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
That sounds like a good plan OP and hope you get some insight into her preference soon! :) I agree that colour preference is super important and highly personal. Does your girlfriend like antique/vintage styles which can usually accommodate (or even call for) a more tinted stone, or does she prefer a more modern icy white stone and white metal combination? What colour metal she usually wears or gravitates toward can give useful clues as well.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I will try to work that in a conversation somehow. She thinks I'm a miser so we dont talk about jewelry. I will also continue to look.

Can you enlist one of her friends to have the conversation with her? That might help keep the surprise element.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
This 1.74 Carat Round diamond H Color VVS2 Clarity has Excellent proportions and a diamond grading report from IGI IGI !!

Petty

Rough_Rock
That sounds like a good plan OP and hope you get some insight into her preference soon! :) I agree that colour preference is super important and highly personal. Does your girlfriend like antique/vintage styles which can usually accommodate (or even call for) a more tinted stone, or does she prefer a more modern icy white stone and white metal combination? What colour metal she usually wears or gravitates toward can give useful clues as well.

She doesnt have much jewelry, of the the few its mostly yellow gold. I did find out she likes platinum but does own any.

Petty

Rough_Rock
There is no one preference for all women. Find out how she feels about diamond color. Surprises are overrated.

I have seen in my family that planned purchases aren't usually appreciated as much.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen in my family that planned purchases aren't usually appreciated as much.

This is an engagement ring that she will hopefully wear forever and love. So in this case, buying without knowing her preferences is risky

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Is she a member of your family of origin? Get someone in her life in on it, so you will know her preferences. Myself, I’d like low color, large size, fantastic cut and VS clarity. Many others would prefer higher color and lower clarity or smaller size. We vary.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am going to offer my opinions to you, about a purchase in general,

1. Buy a diamond you can return if she is not pleased, and present it to her before your return period expires.​
2. If you are looking at warmer diamonds without her input, it is safer to stick with an I or better color.​
3. Maximize cut over size.​
These are my suggestions based on many years in the trade, as well as my own personal experiences. Personally, I love top cut and warm colors. I wear a 1.53 ct. P color CBI mounted in 18kt yellow gold. Even highly trained professionals think it is a much higher color than a P when they see it. My wife of almost 48 years loves it now, but would have been unhappy with it if I had gotten such a diamond for her for our engagement ring. She and I graduated from GIA and while I loved the lower colors even then, she was a D-E color lady for many years.

I highly recommend getting input from your intended, but I understand the desire to make it a surprise. which is why my recommendation #2 above. With excellent cutting you will see excellent sparkle and an apparently higher color than the diamond actually is when looking at the diamond face up. Later, when you know better what she likes/adores, you can get lower colors if they make her eyes happy.

It is important to learn what SHE likes, as it may well be different than what you think she likes. I have one client who told me from five feet away which of the five diamonds I had on a slotted tray for her to view was the D color. I was and am still envious of her ability to discern incredibly minor variations of color.

An incredibly well cut smaller diamond will often look bigger than a poorly cut diamond that actually measures larger than the smaller diamond. @John Pollard has shared a photo of this several times on Pricescope.

I wish you well in your search.

Wink

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ask for the report on this one...it should be an AGS Triple Zero, which is attained with a bit stricter standards than GIA 3X.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Another AGS 3Z...it's a J, but appears on the lighter side. Would require that bump in budget that was mentioned earlier.

May still be a bit too warm, but that's your call:

There's also this beast...videos and plot map shows that's really clean, especially under the table:

Petty

Rough_Rock
Is she a member of your family of origin? Get someone in her life in on it, so you will know her preferences. Myself, I’d like low color, large size, fantastic cut and VS clarity. Many others would prefer higher color and lower clarity or smaller size. We vary.

Thank you. She is not a member of my family origin but similar in some ways i.e. what first thing people ask is what size.

Petty

Rough_Rock
I am going to offer my opinions to you, about a purchase in general,

1. Buy a diamond you can return if she is not pleased, and present it to her before your return period expires.​
2. If you are looking at warmer diamonds without her input, it is safer to stick with an I or better color.​
3. Maximize cut over size.​
These are my suggestions based on many years in the trade, as well as my own personal experiences. Personally, I love top cut and warm colors. I wear a 1.53 ct. P color CBI mounted in 18kt yellow gold. Even highly trained professionals think it is a much higher color than a P when they see it. My wife of almost 48 years loves it now, but would have been unhappy with it if I had gotten such a diamond for her for our engagement ring. She and I graduated from GIA and while I loved the lower colors even then, she was a D-E color lady for many years.

I highly recommend getting input from your intended, but I understand the desire to make it a surprise. which is why my recommendation #2 above. With excellent cutting you will see excellent sparkle and an apparently higher color than the diamond actually is when looking at the diamond face up. Later, when you know better what she likes/adores, you can get lower colors if they make her eyes happy.

It is important to learn what SHE likes, as it may well be different than what you think she likes. I have one client who told me from five feet away which of the five diamonds I had on a slotted tray for her to view was the D color. I was and am still envious of her ability to discern incredibly minor variations of color.

An incredibly well cut smaller diamond will often look bigger than a poorly cut diamond that actually measures larger than the smaller diamond. @John Pollard has shared a photo of this several times on Pricescope.

I wish you well in your search.

Wink

Thank you wink for your advice, I'm reconsidering to an I or H color and leaning towards your #2 suggestion. I was hoping to travel to her home country and asking her after I meet her parents. James Allen has only a 30 days return policy.

Petty

Rough_Rock
Ask for the report on this one...it should be an AGS Triple Zero, which is attained with a bit stricter standards than GIA 3X.

Thank you for researching, this diamond was in my wish list. With the lighter color, I can use a more naked setting. With your recommendation this diamond has made it to the top 3 list. I have removed the J color 2ct from my selection as this maybe an unsafe bet.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you wink for your advice, I'm reconsidering to an I or H color and leaning towards your #2 suggestion. I was hoping to travel to her home country and asking her after I meet her parents. James Allen has only a 30 days return policy.

You are welcome. May I ask when are you going to visit her? I am thinking that if it is soon, you might arrange to have the diamond ring delivered a couple of days prior to your departure, since your return period starts with the receipt of the ring.

Petty

Rough_Rock
You are welcome. May I ask when are you going to visit her? I am thinking that if it is soon, you might arrange to have the diamond ring delivered a couple of days prior to your departure, since your return period starts with the receipt of the ring.

I was hoping for October this year. Unfortunately, with the recent covid surge in Asia, the travel 14 day quarantine wont be lifted anytime soon. Therefore I'm not sure. when, I also live in Hawaii so shipping dates varies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results