shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice Badly

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OutOfMyLeague

Rough_Rock
I would truly appreciate any advice anyone has about the following diamond. I am getting more and more confused the more I read about cut. It is especially hard to find anything consistent on the Emerald cut.

GIA Cert.
Measurements = 8.09 x 6.68 x 4.19
Depth = 62.7
Table = 76
Girdle = thin to slightly thick
Cutlet = none
Polich = Very good
Symmetry = very good
clarity = VS1
color = G
Price = $15,800

I really want something between 1.75 and 2.25 carats. I looked at approx. 8 diamonds and this was the one I liked best (other VS1 and VS2 were not eye clean) and IFs were lower in color grade.

Anyway, I would like to know if I am getting a good deal, but more importantly, if this is a good diamond.

Also, I am looking in Philadelphia. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer here that I can visit for comparison shopping?
twirl.gif

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen the AGA chart for emerald cuts???

https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc2.asp

Looks like the large table makes it a Class 3B ("average") cut.

OutOfMyLeague

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I just reviewed the chart and I see what you mean about the table %. The length to width ratio also looks low. A few questions - how does one use the chart to grade a diamond? Is the diamond graded in the lowest category in which any of its specs falls? Also, what is it I should notice that is less than good about a diamond with a larger table than recommended and a low ratio?

I also compared the diamond I am looking at with others online. The price does not seem out of whack. I saw the diamond - and it was better than the others I looked at, but that was a limited number. Can anyone tell me if this is a good diamond, or if I should give up something to get a better diamond in a similar price range 15,000-17,500?. Thanks again for listening.

OutOfMyLeague

Rough_Rock
Bump. . . I am going out to view diamonds this afternoon. I really need some info to thwart any shady dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results