Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice Badly

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OutOfMyLeague

Rough_Rock
I would truly appreciate any advice anyone has about the following diamond. I am getting more and more confused the more I read about cut. It is especially hard to find anything consistent on the Emerald cut.

GIA Cert.
Measurements = 8.09 x 6.68 x 4.19
Depth = 62.7
Table = 76
Girdle = thin to slightly thick
Cutlet = none
Polich = Very good
Symmetry = very good
clarity = VS1
color = G
Price = $15,800

I really want something between 1.75 and 2.25 carats. I looked at approx. 8 diamonds and this was the one I liked best (other VS1 and VS2 were not eye clean) and IFs were lower in color grade.

Anyway, I would like to know if I am getting a good deal, but more importantly, if this is a good diamond.

Also, I am looking in Philadelphia. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer here that I can visit for comparison shopping?

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen the AGA chart for emerald cuts???

https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc2.asp

Looks like the large table makes it a Class 3B ("average") cut.

OutOfMyLeague

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I just reviewed the chart and I see what you mean about the table %. The length to width ratio also looks low. A few questions - how does one use the chart to grade a diamond? Is the diamond graded in the lowest category in which any of its specs falls? Also, what is it I should notice that is less than good about a diamond with a larger table than recommended and a low ratio?

I also compared the diamond I am looking at with others online. The price does not seem out of whack. I saw the diamond - and it was better than the others I looked at, but that was a limited number. Can anyone tell me if this is a good diamond, or if I should give up something to get a better diamond in a similar price range 15,000-17,500?. Thanks again for listening.

OutOfMyLeague

Rough_Rock
Bump. . . I am going out to view diamonds this afternoon. I really need some info to thwart any shady dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.