shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice about my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

YAY I''m so happy things are working out! See, visuals in terms of quality of cut make a huge difference. Sounds like you both are on the same page, and the return on the other ring sounded fairly smooth, good luck with planning the new setting and finding a smashing new stone. When you narrow it down to 2-3 I would take the specs to RockyTalky and get advice/comments etc from the spec nuts over there (me included!). It''s always good to hear varying opinions before plunking down the $$.

Kudos gal for speaking up and to your fiance for getting past the initial hurt of ''she doesnt love what i bought'' and you two for being able to make it work together. YAY!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 7:33:45 PM
Author: Mara

YAY I''m so happy things are working out! See, visuals in terms of quality of cut make a huge difference. Sounds like you both are on the same page, and the return on the other ring sounded fairly smooth, good luck with planning the new setting and finding a smashing new stone. When you narrow it down to 2-3 I would take the specs to RockyTalky and get advice/comments etc from the spec nuts over there (me included!). It''s always good to hear varying opinions before plunking down the $$.

Kudos gal for speaking up and to your fiance for getting past the initial hurt of ''she doesnt love what i bought'' and you two for being able to make it work together. YAY!
Yay from me too!!!! I''m so glad you guys had a great meeting with Pete. He did my asscher ring but I have never met him. I talk to him on the phone and think the world of him. Please do as Mara asked an post the specs in RT. I''m happy this worked out for you and so happy you spoke up!!!
1.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
That''s great Blen...I''m so happy it''s working out for you. I''m starting to think when the time comes I should help pick out a diamond at least (even though I know nothing about them at the moment) because I saw myself in your shoes...not being thrilled with the diamond after you saw the details. I have a lot to learn, but I''m so happy you''ll get what you were hoping for and we want pics when you get the new ring!
36.gif

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
Ohh, I''m SO glad this is working out well for you. It must be such a weight off your shoulders. I hope Qwest can get your ring done quickly so that you''ll be able to adorn that finger again (it must feel so lonely now
3.gif
)

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Yay! I''m so glad things worked out for you. You (and the rest of us) may have to wait a bit more to see the final product, but I''m sure it''ll all be worth it in the end. I''ll be crossing my fingers that Quest will be able to find a great diamond for you!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds great! I''m glad you were both able to work this out to a point that you will both be happy. I''m sure Quest is going to do a fabulous job...can''t wait to see!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Hooray and congrats!

I''m so happy that you''re getting your dream ring. Brava for having the courage to say something now than after when it''s too late. I know it''s touchy and most people would say it''s better not to say a word. But to each her own and you did great!!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Yay!! I am sooo relieved for you!!
9.gif
Seeing better cut diamonds really does the trick for guys (it worked with mine!
28.gif
), otherwise they usually just don''t get it.

Good luck on getting your dream ring, keep up posted!!
9.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
yay, Blenhiem! I wish my boy would agree to an interest free loan! :) I''m glad you''re happier now. Yay! You can be engaged and thrilled again!
9.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I''m so excited. It sounds like I''m going to be able to have my dream ring.
9.gif

Kaleigh, FI and I were talking about your asscher ring as were driving over to Quest today.
30.gif

Even though I really do want to work with Quest, I felt some feelings of loss when we returned the ring today. My finger immediately felt naked, even though I''ve only worn it for a few days, and so I bought myself a cheapo Fakey McFakerton for now. I think I''m mostly going to wear a silver band that I already own until I get the real ring though.

And, believe it or not, more has come up and I''d really appreciate advice if anyone has any. It''s regarding my future father in law. He loves diamonds and shopping for them, and is the one who originally went shopping with FI and helped him pick out the first ring. Since the old one and the new one will both be ~.5 carat diamonds in yellow gold x-prong settings, we were almost planning on just not telling him. We didn''t want to offend him or have him feel like he let us down, and I don''t want him to see me as too demanding or unappreciative of my FI.

We realized that this wasn''t going to work when we returned the original ring. FI keeps his credit limit pretty low, and so they ended up putting the setting on FFIL''s card and FI immediately paid him back. Well, they needed the physical card to give FI his money back. FI told his dad tonight.

FI''s dad isn''t mad, but he seems to be very confused and worried. We have very different priorities and it''s become clear that cut is my first priority and his last. He doesn''t seem to understand that ideal diamonds perform better than shallow diamonds (which we believe mine was). He told FI that my diamond was better quality than my FMIL''s. I''m assuming that he''s referring to color, since mine was SI2 and half the size of hers.

He also didn''t believe FI that he wouldn''t end up spending too much money and told him so at least six times. FI kept telling him that he really could get a diamond with similar size, clarity, and color but a better cut for the same amount of money, but his dad just didn''t believe him.

I know that in the end, it''s our money and our ring and that we''re both going to be happier with Quest. I''m just worried about starting off our engagement on the wrong foot with his parents. I can''t think of anything else to do, other than go ahead without bringing it up to him again. I hope that when he sees the end result, he''ll understand.

Equestrienne, I replied in Fisher''s thread, but the book is by Sheryl Nissinen and Sheryl Paul.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent news, sweetie. Don''t worry too much about the future in-laws just yet. Once they see the new ring, I am thinking that the difference will be as noticeable to them as it was to your fiance. Good luck!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
congrats on getting to take the original e-ring back and working with quest...what a relief
1.gif
Can''t wait to see what your new one looks like.
As for FIL...well that may sting him a bit but like you said it''s your ring and your money. He''ll get over it. It''s not like you are going back to get that ring anyway so hopefully he''ll let it go and you can move forward. Good luck...really glad it''s all worked out for you
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
parents don''t always get it...but when they see the new ring if there is a visual difference with the stone, they will notice. i totally had that same experience. good luck!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
First, I think it is great that your guy was able to get past some hurt and realize you will both gain something beautiful out of this. You were able to return the other ring easily. He is even "getting" what you meant about quality. Excellent.

As for father in law to be, I would just explain that you have become educated a bit about stones recently. You want your guy to spend wisely, and you realize, from what you have learned, that he did not get the best he could for the money. This is not about breaking the bank or being frivolous but being a smart shopper, for one of the most important items you will ever have.

Of course being together is what matters, and I am sure his folks know you both have your priorties straight. Buyer''s remorse isn''t uncommon and you have learned things that make a difference to you now. I think it is great to resolve it now, and move forward loving your new ring! (took me ten years to do it!)

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 12:31:59 AM
Author: Blenheim
And, believe it or not, more has come up and I''d really appreciate advice if anyone has any. It''s regarding my future father in law. He loves diamonds and shopping for them, and is the one who originally went shopping with FI and helped him pick out the first ring. Since the old one and the new one will both be ~.5 carat diamonds in yellow gold x-prong settings, we were almost planning on just not telling him. We didn''t want to offend him or have him feel like he let us down, and I don''t want him to see me as too demanding or unappreciative of my FI.

We realized that this wasn''t going to work when we returned the original ring. FI keeps his credit limit pretty low, and so they ended up putting the setting on FFIL''s card and FI immediately paid him back. Well, they needed the physical card to give FI his money back. FI told his dad tonight.

FI''s dad isn''t mad, but he seems to be very confused and worried. We have very different priorities and it''s become clear that cut is my first priority and his last. He doesn''t seem to understand that ideal diamonds perform better than shallow diamonds (which we believe mine was). He told FI that my diamond was better quality than my FMIL''s. I''m assuming that he''s referring to color, since mine was SI2 and half the size of hers.

He also didn''t believe FI that he wouldn''t end up spending too much money and told him so at least six times. FI kept telling him that he really could get a diamond with similar size, clarity, and color but a better cut for the same amount of money, but his dad just didn''t believe him.

I know that in the end, it''s our money and our ring and that we''re both going to be happier with Quest. I''m just worried about starting off our engagement on the wrong foot with his parents. I can''t think of anything else to do, other than go ahead without bringing it up to him again. I hope that when he sees the end result, he''ll understand.

If he''s anything like my dad maybe he just doesn''t like admitting that someone might know more about a subject than him. Any time I try to help my dad buy something for my mom he tells me "I''ve been buying jewelery since before you were born" and wont listen to anything I say
20.gif
And yet my mom wears the 10 dollar CZ ring I bought her more than any other the rings my dad has picked out over the last 25 years...

I think as long as you (or your fiance) tell him that you appreciate the advice and help but you decided you wanted something a little different I think he''ll be ok.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yay Blen! I''m so excited you''re getting the ring you want AND that your FI is happy about it!!!

As for the parents... your FFIL and your mom, who I remember said you shouldn''t have spoken up.... well, sometimes they''re just WRONG, and the important thing here is that you and your FI are happy with your choices. They''ll get over it, they really will. Don''t bother trying to educate your FFIL on diamonds since he thinks he knows so much... just tell him you wanted something different. It doesn''t matter, in the end, what the specs are... what matters is what makes YOU happy... and YOU wanted better specs than he did, so YOU took care of it!

Can''t wait to see the new ring!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see the result, Blen!!
9.gif

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
It''s so great that this has worked out so well for you and I am just beyond excited for you that you will get the ring you really *want* and your FI is excited too!

Great news!
jen

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Blenhiem, I''m so glad that you two worked out something that makes you both happy. Yay! As for his dad, well, parents always have their own opinions on everything, don''t they? I''m sure once he knows you''re both happy, he will be, too.

Enjoy your engagement, girl!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad your FI has seen the light, err the sparkle
28.gif
Hopefully the thing with his dad will just pass easily! And yay that you are going to get a quest beauty! I''m so excited for you!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of the advice. I haven't seen my FFIL since my FI talked to him, but he'll be in town on Saturday for FI's graduation. If he says anything then, I think I'll say something really brief about how we both appreciate his help, but I just had my heart set on something else. If he doesn't bring it up, I might just let it go. He'll see the end result eventually.

My parents have grown much more supportive. While it isn't a "battle" that they would have picked, they're glad to see that I felt comfortable speaking up and like how both of us handled it. My dad, who could care less about jewelry, asked all about my visit to Quest and wanted to see their website.

I'm not completely sure when they'll have the ring ready, but they know that I'm an engaged woman who really wants her ring and that we're moving out of the area in three weeks. Pete called and left J a message tonight, in the few minutes that he wasn't actually with his phone. It sounds like he has some positive news about finding diamonds, but we don't know any details. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more news.

I'm really happy that this is all working out.
9.gif

ETA: I spent yesterday on the road and today catching up on all the work I haven't done in my just-engaged bliss, so my PS time has been very limited. I'll be able to spend more time here once I'm all caught up.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you!!! I''m really happy this is working out for you...just goes to show how wonderful your guy is!
36.gif
Good luck and be sure to let us know details when you have them!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I''m looking forward to seeing what you two chose! Hope they get it to you soon, too!

I''m also glad you''re loving being a finacee! How exciting!!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
That sounds like all great news!!!!

While I said I wouldn''t say anything I also said you are the only one that knows your relationship well....so good for you!!! I''m happy that your FI took things so well and you will get the ring you''re dreaming of!!!
36.gif
(hopefully very soon!!!)

Keep us posted!

M~

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE!!
9.gif

Pete and J talked this morning. They decided on a diamond: 0.56 carat, F, SI1, H&A. J couldn''t remember all of the cut information when I talked to him, but Pete told him that it''s just gorgeous. Quest is starting to work on the setting today. We''re not quite sure when it''s going to be finished, but J has an appointment with them next Friday. Yay!!
36.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
YEA!!!!

It sure does sound pretty, and if Pete says it''s a beauty, I bet it is! Hope the get it finished soon!!!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Oh yippee! Now that is exciting news! You''ll have your perfect ston ein your perfect ring in no time!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this is fantastic news!! You get better AND bigger! Yay!!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news on the new diamond and ring front!!! So glad to hear this - better cut AND bigger stone - what more could a girl want?
36.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
That''s wonderful! The diamond sounds gorgeous. Will the setting be the same as your last?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results