shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace layering advice (tiffany small cross +dbty)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I broke the chain on my small tiffany's cross (.42 ctw) that I'm wearing everyday. When I was browsing the replacement options I decided to get a short dbty to layer with the cross.

Since I'll be ordering from their website (nowhere near a Tiffany's until return from our holidays beginning of September), I'm not sure about which lengths to get and can't try on the options. My local home boutique would also have to special order some lengths, so that would set me back a lot time wise...

I know many pricescopers have one or both items. Maybe you could help me with this...

Do you have any advice on chain lengths? Should I get a 1 inch difference or 2 inch difference in length between both necklaces?

Which one should be longer? The plain one or the dbty one?
If anyone happens to have neckshots of their items, that would be especially awesome!
Thanks!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look into getting a jump ring or two added. For me, I can't go tighter than 17", so I usually ask for an 18" necklace with a one inch jump ring so I can wear my necklace longer or shorter.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 16 inch DBTY necklace which I almost always layer with another necklace that is 18 inches long. This is my preference but I'm sure others like to wear theirs differently! You could also get a jump ring put in so you could play with the lengths. I just looked through and I don't have any pictures that show it clearly and today I'm wearing yg so I don't have it on. Will try to take one later or tomorrow if no one else chimes in. :))

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DBTY milgrain pendant and DBTY necklace layered 18" AND 17"
img_2537.jpg

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ac 117, Thank you, good idea about the jump ring, I will definitely ask about that.

Pintobean, thanks for your input and the picture!! Very helpful. Your necklaces look perfect together!

Q

Queenie60

PintoBean|1468854438|4056670 said:
img_2537.jpg

PB - is your dbty necklace all the way around or is it just 5 stones around the front? Considering one of these for my BD in November. Sorry OP - don't mean to hijack your thread.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1468856847|4056686 said:
PintoBean|1468854438|4056670 said:
img_2537.jpg

PB - is your dbty necklace all the way around or is it just 5 stones around the front? Considering one of these for my BD in November. Sorry OP - don't mean to hijack your thread.
Hi Queenie :wavey:
My DBTY is 7-20 pointers spaced 1.5 inch apart placed towards the front.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah, PB, I love your DBTY with 20 pointers!!! :love:

I have the Tiffany cross and a DBTY but don't really wear them together because they seem to tangle. I think PB's solitaire works well with the pendant shorter, but I think the cross is going to look better below the DBTY. So I would say 16" DBTY and 17-18" for the Tiffany cross.

My cross is the real Tiffany, but my DBTY pieces are from Whiteflash in platinum with the finest quality diamonds at a MUCH lower price than Tiffany.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1468888649|4056905 said:
I have the Tiffany cross and a DBTY but don't really wear them together because they seem to tangle. I think PB's solitaire works well with the pendant shorter, but I think the cross is going to look better below the DBTY. So I would say 16" DBTY and 17-18" for the Tiffany cross.

My 16' cross pendant also seems to get hopelessly tangled when I try to layer it. I've also noticed that it flips a lot when I wear it - as in a top to bottom flip. Every now and then I just grab the chain on either side of the pendant and give it a gentle tug to remove all the extra twists. I don't know if it's because of where the pendant lies on my neck (just between the two collar bones) or if I'm just more fidgety than I realized!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRbeauty...I think my cross has a 17" chain, and it doesn't flip. So perhaps it does have something to do with where yours lies?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My cross is the real Tiffany, but my DBTY pieces are from Whiteflash in platinum with the finest quality diamonds at a MUCH lower price than Tiffany.

Thank you for chiming in DS. Finally I'm sure I need to see both together in person before making a decision. I wanted to go withTtiffany's, since I'm not in the US. Buying from WF means an extra 30% in taxes and fees and and in case of a return I'm losing soooo much time and (some money). Local jewellers have no clue about cut and even my superb and trusted bench told me they can't get ideal cut melee...
But now T&co told me on the phone, that any length variation and jump rings will make my order custom (non-returnable) anyway. So I have no choice but to wait ...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1468889594|4056916 said:
VRbeauty...I think my cross has a 17" chain, and it doesn't flip. So perhaps it does have something to do with where yours lies?

I appreciate that input. I do plan on getting an extender or two one of these days - I'll consider your comment a gentle nudge to get it done! ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kipari|1468914823|4057037 said:

Thank you for chiming in DS. Finally I'm sure I need to see both together in person before making a decision. I wanted to go withTtiffany's, since I'm not in the US. Buying from WF means an extra 30% in taxes and fees and and in case of a return I'm losing soooo much time and (some money). Local jewellers have no clue about cut and even my superb and trusted bench told me they can't get ideal cut melee...
But now T&co told me on the phone, that any length variation and jump rings will make my order custom (non-returnable) anyway. So I have no choice but to wait ...

Oh, I see! I think you'd still save money with WF even with the taxes, since both would be custom and non-returnable. I will say that I have a couple of pendants with jump rings and I shortened one to wear it the exact length I wanted, because a chain will move around and I didn't like the extra chain hanging there.

However, I definitely agree with trying them on to decide what you like best. I think the cross needs to hang lower because it hangs down further, unlike a round pendant. But getting the lengths just right is something you need to try on, for sure!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1468889376|4056913 said:

My 16' cross pendant also seems to get hopelessly tangled when I try to layer it. I've also noticed that it flips a lot when I wear it - as in a top to bottom flip. Every now and then I just grab the chain on either side of the pendant and give it a gentle tug to remove all the extra twists. I don't know if it's because of where the pendant lies on my neck (just between the two collar bones) or if I'm just more fidgety than I realized!

Do the chains get twisted or tangled in the back?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have fat on my neck so I think my chains stay anchored thanks to the neck fat. :lol: :lol: :lol: this sounds so disgusting as I'm reading over what I just wrote. :wall:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1468978653|4057411 said:
kipari|1468914823|4057037 said:

Oh, I see! I think you'd still save money with WF even with the taxes, since both would be custom and non-returnable. I will say that I have a couple of pendants with jump rings and I shortened one to wear it the exact length I wanted, because a chain will move around and I didn't like the extra chain hanging there.

However, I definitely agree with trying them on to decide what you like best. I think the cross needs to hang lower because it hangs down further, unlike a round pendant. But getting the lengths just right is something you need to try on, for sure!

Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well. So I'll try cross + dbty as soon as I come across a store. And then they quoted me 4-6 weeks. At that occasion I'll also look into the exact diamond size they are offering. On the upside this leaves me plenty of time to get a quote from WF. I guess they might be faster even with their custom process, possible customs procedure and shipping. On the downside I'll have to wait until mid-October to actually have my items :o

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1469026926|4057558 said:
I have fat on my neck so I think my chains stay anchored thanks to the neck fat. :lol: :lol: :lol: this sounds so disgusting as I'm reading over what I just wrote. :wall:

You surely do keep things funny around here, PB!!! :lol:

Kiparir....I think that is a great idea to get the quote and timeline from WF, too. I will just say that I like Tiffany and have a few pieces like the cross. But WF can do the DBTY just as well and probably uses finer quality diamonds for less than half the cost. Even with the duty, you'd probably be at half. Or you can go with larger diamonds using some of the savings!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I just wanted to stop by and thank everyone again for their help.
Esp. PB for the diamond size and lenght and layering pics and DS for her advice!

DS , your comments really made me think twice about ordering from tiffany's directly, esp. since they weren't very helpful re. the jump ring (probably just such a small ticket item for them... ).
I stumbled upon a preloved dbty from a seller I know by accident and since it had the right number of diamonds (10) on 16 inch platinum chain I just went for it. I am not sure which size the stones are, but they seem to be 5-6 pointers. I had a jump ring put in at roughly 15 inches for layering and did that with T directly to have the item authenticated (didn't put any valuable info on the invoice, but worked on it without any problem). So I am pretty confident it is the real deal (don't mind too much, since chain and bezel workmanship is on par with T &co., diamond quality is as well incl. visible arrows, material is platinum per my usual trusted bench). Payed less than half of US price and less than 1/3 local (to me).
I got the necklace back yesterday and will need to keep playing with different chain lengths before ordering the plain necklace for my cross.
It's turned out much harder to find the perfect combination than I thought and I am glad I can take my time at home now.

And: you were absolutely right about the tangling!!!!! I am experimenting with a box chain for lenght at the moment, but I am not even sure if I'll layer a lot in the future...

Oh, and "savings" might go into another pendant... :whistle:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neckshot for perspective...

img_20160916_163710.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results