shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural Ruby?

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

My quest for a natural ruby of good size continues! Do you think this one could be a genuine, natural ruby? It's described as a 1.5 carat ruby ring in 18ct gold and is Victorian/Edwardian. It's got some scratches on the surface and is dark red and very shiny. I realise it's difficult to tell, but I have no access to a jeweller as they're still closed so will have no way to check and return it within the 14 day limit, if I buy it, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how likely it is to be genuine.

Thanks!

Antique Ruby Ring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look more like cracks on the surface. I would not pay much for it.

What is your requirement for your ruby search? Don't care about treatment? Do you care about colour and cutting? Is size and it being a real ruby the only requirement?

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. When you say not much - is $350 too much?

My requirements are for the ring to be vintage or antique, with a simple ruby that makes a subtle statement. Ideally redder than this ring, and a bit larger. Probably untreated, too.

In the future, when I can afford more, I might want a substantial antique three stone ruby & diamond ring...

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Umm...I don't think the ruby looks very red? At least to my eyes? It looks quite brown o_O I don't think I'd pay even USD10 for this tbh.

What's your max budget? Do you have a preferred size in mind? Treatment levels?

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Lilith. Max budget quite low. At the moment I'm saving for a really beautiful untreated piece; for that I will go to a proper antique jewellery shop.
But while I'm saving, I'm looking around in the affordable range, up to $600. I'm usually really good at getting antique jewellery deals but there's nothing much around at the moment!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you are currently saving for that special gorgeous piece, I advise not spending it on this piece. Every bit of $ counts towards that final one. The ruby in the picture looks very dead and any value in the piece is solely in the setting only.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This looks brown and pretty heavily abraded. I would pass.

If you want something now, under $300 and antique, this is at least a ruby tone. No idea if the stone is natural or not.

or this:

There are some boat style rings in the budget too, but all small stones as well.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Potential, but you would need to ask how the vendor knows the ruby is natural

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Could it be a garnet?

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your opinions! I just really liked the shape and size, and that it was a genuine antique. The seller was adamant that it was a natural ruby but didn't say how she knew - I think she's a professional jeweller.

On some pics it looks redder. But not as red as a synthetic, blood pigeon one I saw last month - it was a vivid red but incredibly expensive. As this one was the same shape, I though it could do as an alternative.

This is another picture of it:

Antique Ruby Ring 1.jpg

Last edited:

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your examples of other listings - I agree that they're stunning! The vivid red is a million times better than on the one I was looking at. Very grateful for your help & advice.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Most jewelers know very little about colored gems. I'm still not convinced it's not a garnet. There's no fluorescence whatsoever.

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Yes, it's odd, isn't it?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it’s colour and tone screams “garnet” to me.
No one sells a natural ruby over 1 carat for 350 pounds.
Rubies are so expensive for their unique attributes of which a fine red colour and fluorescence are most important.
The gem in the ring is lifeless. It’s is very dark and more brownish than red and it is also damaged.
That said, if you love the ring it doesn’t matter one bit what we think but you won’t be buying a great “bargain” ruby. I think you’ll be buying an overpriced garnet ring.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it’s colour and tone screams “garnet” to me.
No one sells a natural ruby over 1 carat for 350 pounds.
Rubies are so expensive for their unique attributes of which a fine red colour and fluorescence are most important.
The gem in the ring is lifeless. It’s is very dark and more brownish than red and it is also damaged.
That said, if you love the ring it doesn’t matter one bit what we think but you won’t be buying a great “bargain” ruby. I think you’ll be buying an overpriced garnet ring.

agreed 100%. I would be shocked if this were a ruby. And even if it is, it's a very poor quality one (unfortunately).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buyer beware.
The top prongs have been bent away from the stone.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.24.28 PM.png

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Please dont buy this ring. Its pretty darn ugly. I would only buy it for its setting if I happened upon it at a yard sale or thrift store if it was solid gold and was under $50 and even then it"d cost around $50 to update/fix the prongs.

The rings elizat has provided are so stunning! I know you said that youre looking for a ruby that's untreated and LARGER than this garnet but that's impossible when it comes to your budget. A 1.5 - 2ct (this garnet seems to be around that size from your photos) pigeon blood ruby thats unheated would cost an arm and a leg: infact many of us will never own one as such.

For a natural ruby under $400 your best bet will be antique rings like elizat posted where it's a well made ring with a tiny ruby that has good color.

Good luck & remember its better not to settle in the end!

Ps. Id be willing to bet my life that this stone is an old garnet. To do garnets some justice, per my username, just know that this is on the lower end of the quality spectrum. Garnets come in yellow, mint green, pink, red, orange, green, blue, and purple and a well cut one will dazzle you!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I mean, in fairness, it could very well be a ruby. Just one of really quite poor quality. I’ve got opaque dark specimen rock versions of rubies. It can be a red sapphire and still be junk :razz:

To the OP, I’d take a big long thing on what things are most important to you for a ruby. Size, color, clarity, treatment, and cost. If cost is a factor, I’d think twice about wanting no treatment whatsoever. Standard heating can be quite stable and a way of getting a much prettier gem at a lower cost.

Regardless, I don’t think this is the ring for you. Don’t be too hypnotized by the word “ruby.” In colored stones, aesthetics is king. Buying something inexpensive and lackluster won’t scratch that itch. Wait for something that you fall truly in love with :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Save the $350 for your future untreated dream ruby. Every bit helps.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
To the OP, I’d take a big long thing on what things are most important to you for a ruby. Size, color, clarity, treatment, and cost. If cost is a factor, I’d think twice about wanting no treatment whatsoever. Standard heating can be quite stable and a way of getting a much prettier gem at a lower cost.

:lol::lol::lol:

*Ahem*

I'll take one of those AND a ruby!

I know, I'm quite mature aren't I?

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Ha ha, I'd take both too!

Thank you so much for your advice, it's really helpful. Up to now, I've been buying less expensive stones, like antiques & vintage with carved jade, coral, enamel, amethysts, small diamonds, so just learning about the more prestigious stones, and what I can afford. I do like well made, colourful pieces, so it might be that I should stick to lesser stones. I don't like tiny rings at all, hence wanting a larger ruby.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, I'd take both too!

Thank you so much for your advice, it's really helpful. Up to now, I've been buying less expensive stones, like antiques & vintage with carved jade, coral, enamel, amethysts, small diamonds, so just learning about the more prestigious stones, and what I can afford. I do like well made, colourful pieces, so it might be that I should stick to lesser stones. I don't like tiny rings at all, hence wanting a larger ruby.

You could also save up for what you truly want. But you should recognize that a large untreated ruby is out of budget for almost everyone. So you might need to accept heat treatment to afford the color/size you want.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I strongly encourage you to go for synthetic if unwilling to compromise on size. An untreated RUBY ruby (good color) in the size that you like can easily cost $30k. Demand exceeds supply for large untreated rubies that are good quality.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've probably got an Antique garnet here somewhere that is similar or better in colour you can have for free if you pay the postage, please don't buy that it's a waste of good money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results