shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural and Lab Grown diamonds mixed together?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi PSers,
I'm wondering if any of you have rings that are a mix of natural diamonds set with lab grown diamonds that you can share? I'm thinking of setting my current solitaire into a 3-stone right hand ring, and using a pair of lab grown studs as the sidestones....came up with the whacky idea last night. Anyone do anything similar? and what are your thoughts on pairing natural diamonds with MMD?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
While I have not mixed natural and lab grown diamonds, I would have no hesitation in doing so, especially if you already own the diamonds and want to repurpose them!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I do not, but I think it sounds reasonable as long as the diamonds match visually to your standard. Only issue I could imagine would be if you planned to resell in the future, but if it's for your enjoyment, why not?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not hesitate to set a lab/MMD in a setting with earth-mined diamond side stones or melees, as I do not believe it is cost effective to make lab/MMD melees yet, however, I could be wrong.

DK :))

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I would not hesitate to set a lab/MMD in a setting with earth-mined diamond side stones or melees, as I do not believe it is cost effective to make lab/MMD melees yet, however, I could be wrong.

Hi Dk, @whitewave used MMD melee on a beautiful ring. I do believe there were some savings there versus earth mined melee.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Dk, @whitewave used MMD melee on a beautiful ring. I do believe there were some savings there versus earth mined melee.

Just re-read that thread, as I did not realised MMD melees were used in her yellow Sapphire ring, DOH!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are awesome!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So before my upgrade I considered MMD’s for side stones for a 3 stone but the savings were not that significant —maybe 6 months ago. I was looking for .50 each. How much would you actually save?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
So before my upgrade I considered MMD’s for side stones for a 3 stone but the savings were not that significant —maybe 6 months ago. I was looking for .50 each. How much would you actually save?

I think I would save a lot, and have 2 significant rings of different styles that would both get a lot of wear.

For those of you who don’t know my story, I’m getting a 2.8 (ish) custom cut AVR for my 20th anniversary, which will be set in an ornate, but still solitaire type setting. I’m blessed to be able to keep my 1.81ct natural diamond (In my avatar) but I’m afraid I won’t wear it once I get my 20 year anniversary ring. So, I’m thinking of resetting my current 1.81 into a 3 stone setting that I already have!

I got a custom platinum 3-stone settIng for my 1st anniversary, which was set with 3 “premium CZs” at the time, I still have this and wear it as my travel ring. See pic below. The center stone is an 8mm CZ and the sides are 4mm. My 1.81 ct is almost 8mm and I just bought a pair of 0.5tcw studs from the James Allen sale. If the studs come, and they are a good match for my 1.81ct natural diamond, I think I’m going to set all 3 into my travel ring setting and get it sized for my right hand!

40FD59A4-D996-4E83-8A6E-67D7E47C6AEF.jpeg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would save a lot, and have 2 significant rings of different styles that would both get a lot of wear.

For those of you who don’t know my story, I’m getting a 2.8 (ish) custom cut AVR for my 20th anniversary, which will be set in an ornate, but still solitaire type setting. I’m blessed to be able to keep my 1.81ct natural diamond (In my avatar) but I’m afraid I won’t wear it once I get my 20 year anniversary ring. So, I’m thinking of resetting my current 1.81 into a 3 stone setting that I already have!

I got a custom platinum 3-stone settIng for my 1st anniversary, which was set with 3 “premium CZs” at the time, I still have this and wear it as my travel ring. See pic below. The center stone is an 8mm CZ and the sides are 4mm. My 1.81 ct is almost 8mm and I just bought a pair of 0.5tcw studs from the James Allen sale. If the studs come, and they are a good match for my 1.81ct natural diamond, I think I’m going to set all 3 into my travel ring setting and get it sized for my right hand!

40FD59A4-D996-4E83-8A6E-67D7E47C6AEF.jpeg

This sounds like an awesome plan! Looking forward to following all your developments!

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you don't mind could you share where you got your CZs for your 3 stone? I have a couple of empty settings laying around that I might wear if I put something in them but have been hesitant to buy CZs randomly off the internet, go thru with the expense of setting them and then not really like them. I was checking out Chris CZs yesterday, super reasonable in cost but I don't know if they are premium.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
If you don't mind could you share where you got your CZs for your 3 stone? I have a couple of empty settings laying around that I might wear if I put something in them but have been hesitant to buy CZs randomly off the internet, go thru with the expense of setting them and then not really like them. I was checking out Chris CZs yesterday, super reasonable in cost but I don't know if they are premium.

Funny you should ask. I haven't really dabble in CZ's for over 15 years, and the company I purchased from: Van Graff Diamond Simulants, no longer exists :(

Other "premium" CZ's that I purchased in the past are "Asha" simulants. The reason they are deemed "Premium" was that they could be treated so that they have some body color vs completely colorless, and had a "coating" that increased hardness so that the edges did not lose their sharpness and get hazy after wear and tear.

My 3-stone CZ ring has held up really well, considering that I have had it for 19 years! I don't wear it often, and unless you look at it from an angle (due to noticable windowing), you can't tell they are CZ's!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Wink still doing any CZ?

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Funny you should ask. I haven't really dabble in CZ's for over 15 years, and the company I purchased from: Van Graff Diamond Simulants, no longer exists :(

Other "premium" CZ's that I purchased in the past are "Asha" simulants. The reason they are deemed "Premium" was that they could be treated so that they have some body color vs completely colorless, and had a "coating" that increased hardness so that the edges did not lose their sharpness and get hazy after wear and tear.

My 3-stone CZ ring has held up really well, considering that I have had it for 19 years! I don't wear it often, and unless you look at it from an angle (due to noticable windowing), you can't tell they are CZ's!

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I have a few fun rings but they were purchased complete with the stones. I don't wear them often enough that any have wear to them so maybe any cz would be just fine. The one I wear the most is an eternity band and that's been a daily for almost 2 years and still looks good.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I personally wouldn't but it's truly only a mind-clean thing for me as the mixing of both would bother the crap out of me! But then again Im not a MMD girl. I think if the mind-clean thing wouldn't bother you, that they'd perfectly match your center, & if you'd save a couple thousand then I say go for it! I bet it will turn out beautifully! ♥️

Ol-Blue

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t done so, yet. But I wouldn’t hesitate, I think you have a great plan for your 3 stone!

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
Up until a year or two ago, the majority of eCommerce lab diamonds sold into engagement rings used natural diamonds for halos, pavé, etc.

Today, most contract manufactures do offer lab grown melee so it's less common to see mixed.

Man-made diamonds (pragmatically speaking) do not fluoresce, so it's easy to check a halo or pavé for natural diamonds with a simple UV flashlight.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just realized I never came back to post the completed 3-stone project. I changed out the 6 prong basket for a 4 prong Stuller basket and purchased James Allen 1ct total weight ideal cut lab grown studs and the rest is history…..

Centerstone 1.81ct H, sidestones are 1ctw F/G James Allen preset-studs.
930AC0DB-6775-424A-B7A7-9839AAD92EDC.jpeg 2052C52C-F240-4F4C-B793-701186626EE1.jpeg ABB1B384-CE82-4982-9ACC-C9A500BB68C2.jpeg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It looks fantastic!! You have the best of both worlds. I adore your new anniversary solitaire too!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh it's beautiful!!! I'm eyeing off some JA lab studs, how would you rate the cut? Enjoy your new ring, it's just gorgeous, I'm loving the finger coverage!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Gosh it's beautiful!!! I'm eyeing off some JA lab studs, how would you rate the cut? Enjoy your new ring, it's just gorgeous, I'm loving the finger coverage!

These side stones are preset lab studs that are marketed as F/G VS quality ideal cuts. But are uncerted. You can also select your own certed lab diamonds for your own customs pair. I have a pair of IGI certed lab grown studs 1.66 tcw studs from James Allen too. I have been super happy with all my JA diamond purchases so far!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These side stones are preset lab studs that are marketed as F/G VS quality ideal cuts. But are uncerted. You can also select your own certed lab diamonds for your own customs pair. I have a pair of IGI certed lab grown studs 1.66 tcw studs from James Allen too. I have been super happy with all my JA diamond purchases so far!

Excellent, thank you!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely ring!!!
Congratulations.

We've had plenty of clients mix both ways.
LG center with EM side diamonds, and vice versa.
Usually, folks who are open to lab-grown diamonds have no objections to using mined stones together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results