shape
carat
color
clarity

Napping-Yea or Nay?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
In the name of science, I am posting before reading the responses so far.

I have a love-hate relationship with adult napping. I spent all of grad school in a "nap trap" where I would stay up late working but then have to get up early for meetings/teaching, take a nap in the afternoon to compensate and then it would start all over again. I do love naps, but I like 2-hour epic naps. It seems to work best for me to just get enough sleep at night. If only it was as easily done as said.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
katamari|1301024086|2879715 said:

I have a love-hate relationship with adult napping. I spent all of grad school in a "nap trap" where I would stay up late working but then have to get up early for meetings/teaching, take a nap in the afternoon to compensate and then it would start all over again. I do love naps, but I like 2-hour epic naps. It seems to work best for me to just get enough sleep at night. If only it was as easily done as said.

FINALLY some non-nappers came to this thread! If I didn't know better I'd think you were all napping this afternoon! :cheeky: HA sorry couldn't resist!

kata-YES! The "nap trap" (fantastic name, BTW!) is what makes me anti-napping! If I nap I'll be up for HOURS past my bed time, which isn't early to begin with! I usually get to bed around midnight.

P.S. I love that everyone seems to have strong feelings either way! Who knew that napping could be so polarizing? This is almost as controversial as the laundry thread!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1301029175|2879764 said:
I love that everyone seems to have strong feelings either way!
Who knew that napping could be so polarizing?
This is almost as controversial as the laundry thread!

Politics? Religion? Abortion? Gay Marriage? Race?
Pfffft!!!

If we had a thread about laundering the sheets that we nap on Ella would have to cool us down by shutting down the entire forum for 30-days. :D

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1301030286|2879770 said:

Pfffft!!!

If we had a thread about laundering the sheets that we nap on Ella would have to cool us down by shutting down the entire forum for 30-days. :D
Lord please no one get curious about who does or doesn't use hospital corners

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pro-nap, but it's not something I can do. It takes me an hour or two to be able to fall asleep unless I'm sick or REALLY tired, so for me, it only happens 2-3 times a year, tops. I wish I had less trouble sleeping, it's so annoying, because it's my favorite! We have a super-comfy bed, and I love getting some good quality snuggle time with FI (or the cat, I'm not terribly picky :lol: :lol: ) . Once I've finally fallen asleep, I hate to get up.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Big YAY for naps. I am a big napper whenever I can. About 45 mins to an hour. I wish I were more of a power napper, but I need 15 mins to fall asleep.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I so wish I could!! I'm a terrible sleeper, I have to medicate myself to sleep, wear a mask, ear plugs, sound machine, etc.... No naps for me!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never nap, if I do nap then I am sick...my husband on the other hand naps all the time.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I nap as needed, not every day...but I give in when I feel the 'need' - like when my body is telling me to take a little break... I would not be able to take a nap in BED however, (I would lie there thinking about what I was missing too)...a couch nap is different from 'going to bed.' I usually only sleep about 20 mins., but I 'rest' for about 40 mins. total, anything longer and it makes me more tired and lethargic. A well timed nap recharges me for the rest of the day.

I also go to bed pretty early, I am a morning person, so am pretty pooped out by evening.

Also, it has been proven that daily naps are very good for the heart and napping is a healthy habit...just as important as daily exercise! So, my new plan is, after my 30 min. workout, I'll sleep for 20 mins.! :bigsmile:

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kata, I knew I liked you for a reason. You're the only person (besides me) who could ever refer to a nap as *epic*!

Thing2: What about me? No love here, I see. I am a non-napper too!!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1301060845|2879929 said:

Kata, I knew I liked you for a reason. You're the only person (besides me) who could ever refer to a nap as *epic*!

Ha you know I love you! kata's was just the easiest to quote since it was right there! I'm sorry, baby. Non-nappers unite!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I don't nap. Never did. But I come from a southern country where it's still very common for people to have little siestas on summer afternoons.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Another non-napper here. I have a hard enough time sleeping at night, napping would seriously mess me up. My DH on the other hand can nap for like 2 hours and still sleep fine at night.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just started allowing myself naps here and there a few months ago. Never could when the kids were babies, never could, ever. I just felt like I had stuff to do and I'd miss something. I used to try to nap when I knew I had to work until 4am, but never could-which really sucked b/c I was in high school and getting up at 6 on Friday to get ready for school and then being up until 4am Saturday morning was hard. Never used to matter how sick or how tired I was or how screwed up my sleep/awake schedule was. It's only recently that after I take London to school I lay down in her bed for a little bit..sometimes I do the half awake/half sleeping dozing thing, sometimes I'm actually sleeping. Trapper will sit in there and watch a movie and snuggle, or use me as a table and play dinosaurs on my hip.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1301065551|2879997 said:

Ha you know I love you! kata's was just the easiest to quote since it was right there! I'm sorry, baby. Non-nappers unite!

Woohoo! She loves me! She LOVES me! :love:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1301075385|2880154 said:
thing2of2|1301065551|2879997 said:

Woohoo! She loves me! She LOVES me! :love:

Like you didn't already know that! :cheeky:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
suchende|1301030930|2879774 said:
kenny|1301030286|2879770 said:

Pfffft!!!

Lord please no one get curious about who does or doesn't use hospital corners

pffft I don't even use a top sheet lol

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't like to nap - I'd rather just push through my sleepiness and go to sleep at night. But I've studied a lot about sleep in college and know that there are a lot of benefits in taking a 20-minute "power nap." I just can't do it myself. If I do nap, it ends up lasting about 3 hours instead of 20 minutes.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having just woken up from an hour long nap, I definitely think there is nothing nicer. I've been studying all morning and needed a break and I feel much more awake now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So thing, have you tried the power nap yet? I just took a quick one...I was asleep for about 12 minutes (I saw the clock before I dozed up and my alarm went off about 13 minutes later). I seriously feel good and was just wondering today why it does work so much better than a long nap and why I am so bright and awake afterward. So I looked it up...never thought to wiki it before!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_nap

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually haven't-I haven't needed a nap yet!

That's an interesting link...I'll report back the next time I take a power nap and let you know how it goes! :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh I LOOOOVE to nap! I don't do it during the work week very often, unless I opt to "work" at home like I am today ;)) But I nap fairly regularly on the weekend, even with my 2 year old. I either nap when he naps or else I go "golfing" and hubby hangs out with the kid.

I love sleep in general and like being still and sitting. I always have liked these things. Of course, the upside of my temperament and love of sleep is I am low stress and relaxed mostly. The downside is I have a big butt 8)

I am also a night person, so I don't worry about it wrecking my sleep. Napping for about an hour to an hour and a half around 1pm is the BEST and does not tend to affect my sleep.

For those of you who feel poopy when you wake, you just need a little juice to get your blood sugar up ;)) Give it a try!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I'm another non-napper. It's not that I'm against them in theory or anything. They just don't work well for me. It takes me a long time to fall asleep, and then once I'm asleep, it's really hard to get me up. And no matter how long the nap was, I'm always groggy when I wake up.

FI is a napper. He can be out like a light and then get up 20-30 minutes later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results