Napping-Yea or Nay?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1300994122|2879228 said:
thing2of2|1300994046|2879226 said:
elledizzy5|1300993842|2879224 said:
E B|1300993572|2879219 said:
thing2of2|1300988329|2879089 said:
I actually hate to nap because I always wake up feeling AWFUL and like I wasted the day.

I do too, thing, if I nap for too long. I think the magic number is 30 minutes, sometimes 45. Any longer and I'm out of it for the rest of the day with a dull headache.

Do you get the funny taste in your mouth? After a nap, nothing tastes right to me!

I definitely get the headache but I haven't noticed a funny taste...weirdo. :tongue:

Funny taste? Hm...what are you girls doing before naptime? :devil:

HA! Yeah elle, plz explain!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1300994712|2879245 said:
TravelingGal|1300994122|2879228 said:
thing2of2|1300994046|2879226 said:
elledizzy5|1300993842|2879224 said:
E B|1300993572|2879219 said:
thing2of2|1300988329|2879089 said:
I actually hate to nap because I always wake up feeling AWFUL and like I wasted the day.

I do too, thing, if I nap for too long. I think the magic number is 30 minutes, sometimes 45. Any longer and I'm out of it for the rest of the day with a dull headache.

Do you get the funny taste in your mouth? After a nap, nothing tastes right to me!

I definitely get the headache but I haven't noticed a funny taste...weirdo. :tongue:

Funny taste? Hm...what are you girls doing before naptime? :devil:

HA! Yeah elle, plz explain!

I fear I've said too much.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm bad at naps too! I only nap when I am sick or extremely exhausted. I have insomnia, though, so sleep is a difficult thing for me!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh! I have this battle with myself EVERYDAY.

I wake up at 6 AM and I usually go to bed at 11 PM. When I wake up I'm usually ok but as the day progresses all I want to do is nap. It gets to the point where I can't concentrate on anything unless I nap. I will then go nap for 1-1.5 hrs. This ends up being a vicious cycle because later on at night I can't fall asleep till about 1:00 AM which makes me exhausted the next morning. I try really hard to pull through the day without napping because it REALLY screws with my sleeping schedule. Right now, I'm tired but trying to fight the urge to sleep. I have to wake up at 5 am tomorrow so I know I gotta be in bed by 10:30 and that'll definitely not happen if I nap right now :(

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1300987284|2879065 said:
No kids here, but I can't remember the last time I had a nap. I'm not much of a sleeper, anyway, I always feel like I'm missing out on something else I could be doing.

I was just reading some survey results about how more people have started napping in the past year. Apparently, as a society, we are getting tired!

When I've gotten enough sleep at night, I feel this way too. Especially if it's a nice day or there's a ton to do.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1300997207|2879295 said:

I wake up at 6 AM and I usually go to bed at 11 PM. When I wake up I'm usually ok but as the day progresses all I want to do is nap. It gets to the point where I can't concentrate on anything unless I nap. I will then go nap for 1-1.5 hrs. This ends up being a vicious cycle because later on at night I can't fall asleep till about 1:00 AM which makes me exhausted the next morning.

Yep, that's my one problem with naps, too, Autumn. As much as I love them, they make me NOT tired at night. So then I end up staying up until midnight, and make myself exhausted the next morning. ::)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1300986605|2879050 said:
I can't imagine why anyone would care if someone decides to nap... or not. I'm pretty sure there are more things in the world to worry about.

Napping should never be looked at causally. Do you know that .02% of Americans have an actual phobia of napping? Napophobia.

If a person is afraid of breaking conventional day activities and experimenting with napping he/she has neophobiac napophobia.

These are serious issues. VERY SERIOUS.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1300999399|2879342 said:
I can't imagine why anyone would care if someone decides to nap... or not. I'm pretty sure there are more things in the world to worry about.

Napping should never be looked at causally. Do you know that .02% of Americans have an actual phobia of napping? Napophobia.

If a person is afraid of breaking conventional day activities and experimenting with napping he/she has neophobiac napophobia.

Good God! That makes me neophobiacnapophobiaphobic!!!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1300998102|2879314 said:
Autumnovember|1300997207|2879295 said:

I wake up at 6 AM and I usually go to bed at 11 PM. When I wake up I'm usually ok but as the day progresses all I want to do is nap. It gets to the point where I can't concentrate on anything unless I nap. I will then go nap for 1-1.5 hrs. This ends up being a vicious cycle because later on at night I can't fall asleep till about 1:00 AM which makes me exhausted the next morning.

Yep, that's my one problem with naps, too, Autumn. As much as I love them, they make me NOT tired at night. So then I end up staying up until midnight, and make myself exhausted the next morning. ::)

It's torture, right?!?!?!?!?! I love naps so much.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1300999490|2879346 said:
MC|1300999399|2879342 said:

Good God! That makes me neophobiacnapophobiaphobic!!!

Yeah, and adding on some purple sheets will be a free-ticket right to the psych ward:

http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/porphyrophobia.html

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love taking naps but I feel really guilty taking one on a nice, sunny day. I also don't like napping for more than 1-2 hours. It throws me off for the rest of the day, and I don't like knowing that I might be missing out on other stuff going on.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Do I nap?

In my college dorm I was voted "Most Likely to Sleep Away a Sunny Day."

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1300992701|2879198 said:
thing2of2|1300988113|2879083 said:

Great insight! You should probably go worry about more important things and leave all the dumb stuff like napping and diamonds to us dummies!

:rolleyes: I'm just saying that anyone that gives a shit about someone else NAPPING needs a reality check.

I mean, you DID ask for any and all thoughts right? That's my thought on it. I'd rather worry about the big issues in life instead of how a family member naps or cuts their toenails.
I think it is endlessly amusing that a bunch of people signed up for a DIAMOND website are discussing what is and isn't appropriate to spend time worrying about. I mean, doesn't our membership here sort of exclude us from getting all holier than thou about what other people should spend their time worrying about? Certainly there are bigger issues in life, yet we still make time to focus on the non-essentials. (Please don't vote me off of PS for calling diamonds "non-essentials." You all know I don't really believe that. :rodent: )

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
What about napping OUTSIDE during the day in the sunlight? I'm envisioning hammocks on the beach... Summer afternoon naps on a giant wrap around porch with a ice cold glass of lemonade sweating on the table next to you...

Oh great! Now i'm all depressed because it's grey and 25F out now... I want the summer back! Back to day dreaming about napping ::)

~LC

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't do power naps. It's either a long one or none at all. It takes me a while to get to sleep usually, and then once I'm out, I like to get a good rest in before getting up again. As much as I love napping/sleeping, I always feel groggy and really out of it when I wake up. It takes a while to be fully awake again.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I like trivial nonsense, myself.

There are more important things to worry about, but I don't wanna do that right now, so I'll play here on PS.

My nap vote? NO!

I can't nap. Never have been able to. I always feel like I'll miss something, and when I do nap (maybe the flu?) I wake up groggy and hung over.

Hate it. :cry:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother took a nap every day of my life, and I think I rejected the idea because of that. Like JewelFreak, I have always gotten sleepy after lunch and some days had to literally hold up my head at work! :lol: Now I do not work but really try not to take a nap because it will mess up my getting to sleep at night. I sleep from about midnight to 7am. Now my one exception is that if I am sleepy on a Sunday afternoon, I do allow myself the luxury of a nap! I really needed one today but just didn't have time. I may not make it til midnight tonight!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1301005253|2879460 said:
What about napping OUTSIDE during the day in the sunlight? I'm envisioning hammocks on the beach... Summer afternoon naps on a giant wrap around porch with a ice cold glass of lemonade sweating on the table next to you...

Oh great! Now i'm all depressed because it's grey and 25F out now... I want the summer back! Back to day dreaming about napping ::)

~LC

The top part sounds so nice. I am envisioning a tropical drink too, to go with the nap on the beach, and some swaying palm trees.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I LOOOOOOVE my daily naps, they make me a nicer person :) If i cant nap, i drink ALOT of coffee. :snore: :snore: :snore: :snore:

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I think adults should be able to nap more often. I LOVE a good nap! I only get to do it on the weekends, but I am a big fan of two-hour naps. So refreshing! Power naps are not my thing.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1301005253|2879460 said:

~LC

THAT sounds heavenly!

My family and I went to Bermuda about 10 years or so ago, and the hotel we stayed at had hammocks right on the beach. It was so relaxing to spend part of the day lying on one of them, reading and dozing.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't read anything but the first post so this is my unbiased opinion.

I love naps. I don't have them every day or even every week, but when the stars align and sleepy cozy desire and the time to do so happen, I embrace it. If I could create a world that ran off of MY personal body clock, I would sleep 4-5 hours every night (2am-7am) and 1-2 hours every afternoon (1pm-3pm).

If someone wants to nap and they can - why would that be a problem? I don't see how this could be a long standing debate lol

GingerP

Rough_Rock
I've never been much of a napper for various reasons, most if not all have been mentioned. 1) I would wake up ~85% of the time feeling sick, groggy, or more tired or with a headache. 2) I would not be able to sleep easily later that night. 3) I would feel like I wasted my day (even if I don't have anything planned).

Generally, I still don't nap, but there are times when I have "needed" to or felt refreshed afterward, but it is not consistent and is rare. What I have noticed is that when I do nap, it is most often related to one issue--I am a slave to my blood sugar. If I don't eat as well or eat more heavily, sometimes a nap will consume me. The second most typical culprit is the sun.

As I've gotten older my sleeping patterns have changed a bit, I can sleep a little easier/longer now, so maybe I could become a convert at some point. For now though I'm a fairly steadfast non-napper. :) (Which makes life a little difficult sometimes because my husband is a napper, so I feel your pain, Thing2.)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do sometimes do the short 20 minute nap and those are nice... but what I love about naps most is when I don't fall deeply asleep. I fall deeply asleep at night but during my naps I love to doze in and out, I have my most lucid dreaming then. I don't feel like I'm losing time because time goes at a more regular pace if you are surfing the edge of sleep. I like to try to intentionally achieve that hover, it's fun and the daylight helps keep me from falling deeply asleep. My body rests, my mind plays... it's win/win :)

Oh and I want to add that if I sleep too long at night or too late into the day I wake up with a headache. If I sleep longer than 6-7 hours at a stretch or past 8 my day is shot. My body really does best on the split schedule. Even then I only get 7 hours of sleep per day. It's a pity really that society doesn't support MY schedule lol

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Nap? Is that like a donut--I mean, what is it? :confused: :tongue:

cheers--Sharon

April20

Ideal_Rock
Yea all the way! I freaking LOVE a nap. Not that I get to take them very often anymore, but I do love one. I'll often nap on planes if it's an early or late flight and occassionally if I'm really, really zonked, I'll take a power nap at lunch. It really bumps up my afternoon productivity.

I have to watch those Saturday naps though, they've been known to turn into a coma!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Not a napper, sorry!

I love sleep too much to take a power nap, and I end up sleeping for like 3 hours and then my sleep schedule is totally F'ed up.

Plus, like someone else said, I wake up with a funny taste in my mouth and my stomach all queasy (and hungry to boot) ???

The only time I did a power nap successfully was when I had four midterms over two days and stayed up for 72 hours studying (with two 15 min. naps during - don't ask me how I did that - I can't even pull one all-nighter now).

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Love naps and I think most people would benefit from more sleep. (just an opinion, not set in stone.)
Bummed I don't get to take more. A rainy, Saturday afternoon is the perfect time for me.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I only nap on the weekends...with DH :naughty: That's my take :bigsmile:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread sent me straight to the bed .... our new adjustable memory foam bed with massage built in. Where I watched TV ... played with my new micro-laptop and then, yes, napped. But I felt so weird about it I had to discuss the ramifications with my husband who was working from home today. "Seriously ... you won't judge me?" etc....

Even though I work at home most of the time, I'm a once-in-a-blue-moon week day napper. But I love them. When I'm working on a very creative project I find laying down & almost drifting off quite a productive use of time. My best ideas come there or in the shower. That semi-conscious thinking that happens when you're not thinking. I'll also nap with my husband on the weekends if he wants to. Not so much for the nap but for the cuddling. Yeah, that's it, cuddling. Okay ... it actually is cuddling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results