shape
carat
color
clarity

Naked without jewelry dilema

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to be away from home for an extended time and can’t bring any of my jewelry, but don’t want to feel jewelry-naked the whole time. I’m having open heart surgery (still can’t believe it’s happening) and while I know I can’t wear any jewelry while in the hospital, I want to feel as much myself as possible for the other 2-3 weeks while far away from home. We won’t have a safe and I don’t want anyone to worry about valuables.

I’m looking for suggestions on yellow gold necklaces and earrings to wear that, if they were to disappear, wouldn’t cause too much distress, and would be easy for my DH to tuck away in a pocket or small bag if necessary.

Stylistically, I’m looking for pieces that have presence (not dainty or frilly). I am allergic to nickel (even watch backs - ugh). Minimum is 14k yg, but 18k - particularly for earrings works best. Because of the nickel allergy, I’ve never purchased much in the way of costume jewelry (back in the day, they all had nickel and my ears, fingers and even neck ballooned where they made contact). Maybe things have changed?

I bought a vintage/pre owned ring that is coming along. Pic below :)I know it isn’t YG but part of it is creamy colored because it’s unplated. I really wanted a glowing blue stone- I’m using that as part of the process to calm myself and time was running out. So I got it and love it - except that it’s not YG lol!

So, I’m turning to this wonderful community for suggestions. Plus, my brain has stopped working efficiently, so even this kind of a ‘fun’ opportunity has become overwhelming. If you’ve got a great brand or suggestion, I would gratefully welcome any input. I’d like to find a way to feel less naked because all of my usual pieces will be locked away in a safe - far away. Thanks in advance!
F29305CF-00C3-41C4-B80F-64B8226F692E.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh @bright&shiny I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery!

I am not sure when you have to go to the hospital, but there are pretty 14 kt gold necklaces on TJ Maxx. I have had good luck with little rings from them.

I did a quick search for you-unfortunately I don't know about nickel content:

I hope that all goes smoothly and that you have a swift recovery!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@bright&shiny I’m so sorry you have to have surgery..Please come to Hangout to let us all know how you’re doing..
I did a quick search on Amazon..They have nickel free gold. Here’s just one chain. If you tell me what you have in mind I’ll help you look when I get home. I don’t know that I would trust Etsy to get you the jewelry in time. Amazon is quick..
Big hugs!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For basic solid yellow gold, I would look at Mejuri- pricing is not bad. Vrai is solid gold.

Here is an article with other options as well, some are plated though.

Blue Nile has some nice basics as well that are not super expensive.

Good luck on your surgery and recovery.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever tried Simply Whispers? Nickel-free/hypoallergenic. Earrings, necklaces etc.
I've bought the earrings before.
I see they now have titanium findings as well.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh @bright&shiny I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery!

I am not sure when you have to go to the hospital, but there are pretty 14 kt gold necklaces on TJ Maxx. I have had good luck with little rings from them.

I did a quick search for you-unfortunately I don't know about nickel content:

I hope that all goes smoothly and that you have a swift recovery!

Thank you for both the kind thoughts and suggestion to look at TH maxx. I haven’t been to one in a long time - maybe that can be a distraction next week!

BTW I am going to Cleveland Clinic. We live on the east coast - so it’s a 9 hour drive.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@bright&shiny I’m so sorry you have to have surgery..Please come to Hangout to let us all know how you’re doing..
I did a quick search on Amazon..They have nickel free gold. Here’s just one chain. If you tell me what you have in mind I’ll help you look when I get home. I don’t know that I would trust Etsy to get you the jewelry in time. Amazon is quick..
Big hugs!

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I hadn’t even considered Amazon for jewelry (PS has definitely had an effect on me lol) so I am going to explore there, too. I’ll definitely pop into hangout and let you know how it goes….

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
For basic solid yellow gold, I would look at Mejuri- pricing is not bad. Vrai is solid gold.

Here is an article with other options as well, some are plated though.

Blue Nile has some nice basics as well that are not super expensive.

Good luck on your surgery and recovery.

I had forgotten about Mejuri. I think played would be fine in this circumstance- especially for a necklace. Earrings might work too. I’ll get on it this afternoon. Lots of chore this am! Thanks again.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Have you ever tried Simply Whispers? Nickel-free/hypoallergenic. Earrings, necklaces etc.
I've bought the earrings before.
I see they now have titanium findings as well.

This is a completely new brand/vendor to me, and I’m excited about options that are nickel free. Thank you so much. I have some shopping to do:)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your surgery goes smoothly and you’re out and healed up as quickly as possible @bright&shiny! Please check in with us when you’re able. Thinking of you…

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Hi @bright&shiny sending all the positive thoughts your way!
The one time IG ads are working in my favor!
Ellie Vail Jewelry looks like a good option - gold colored stainless steel. Ihave no experience with the brand though.
I’ve heard good things about Aurate also. I’ve purchased from Joe Luc before and they are great! They use gold filled though. which I think is usually brass as a base metal. I’m not sure if it may or may not also set off your nickel allergy?

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear you'll be sick/away from home! I'd suggest the following:

1) The Japanese ebay sellers (Komehyo, brandoffhk, etc) have lots and lots of gold pieces at really good prices. They also have nice "statement" gemstone rings for a song. (Cartier trinity ring for $318!!! Lucky size 5 - 5.5)(Tiffany 18k earrings, also $318)(Simple gold and diamond necklace)

2) Costco. Tons and tons of solid gold options. Lots of diamond options. (Super nice diamond wedding band just under $500)

3) Ebay. Set your searches for solid gold (add "-filled -925 -fill -plated -plate -gf" etc to the search) and filter by the lowest price.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you have this health struggle ahead of you. I feel you in needing to have a piece with you to help you feel sort of normal.
When I was in the hospital for an extended stay after surgery, I had my husband bring my platinum French cut diamond band for me. I definitely was missing having something on. The nurses understood and put tape over it whenever I had a test or procedure during my stay.
Sending you many healing vibes across the miles. ❤️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I hadn’t even considered Amazon for jewelry (PS has definitely had an effect on me lol) so I am going to explore there, too. I’ll definitely pop into hangout and let you know how it goes….

I thought you needed them really quickly..and not expensive..Amazon can have surprisingly basic good gold jewelry. My husband keeps losing his wedding band when he plays golf. Now I just buy them from there..

BTW..I checked out the Cleveland Clinic to do a possible valve replacement. I don’t need it yet but that’s where I plan to go. As you know..they are the best for the heart. You are in very good hands. I wish you a very successful surgery. Please check in when you can to let us know how you’re doing.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No help from me, but best of luck for a successful outcome and a full and speedy recovery!

(I would not bring anything of value to the hospital.)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
How about some long strings of freshwater pearls to go with your gold chains? I always feel pearls are good when you want to feel more dressed up and there’s no nickel at all. All the best for your surgery!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about some long strings of freshwater pearls to go with your gold chains? I always feel pearls are good when you want to feel more dressed up and there’s no nickel at all. All the best for your surgery!

This is a good idea! An endless strand would not have any clasp to worry about.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you needed them really quickly..and not expensive..Amazon can have surprisingly basic good gold jewelry. My husband keeps losing his wedding band when he plays golf. Now I just buy them from there..

BTW..I checked out the Cleveland Clinic to do a possible valve replacement. I don’t need it yet but that’s where I plan to go. As you know..they are the best for the heart. You are in very good hands. I wish you a very successful surgery. Please check in when you can to let us know how you’re doing.

Yes, I do need them quickly - for some reason I’ve never turned to Amazon for jewelry. It’s a great suggestion!

What a small world - I’m amazed by how different CC is from the hospitals near us. So much calmer and patient centric. I’m glad you aren’t there yet - is there a chance it won’t process that far for you? I appreciate your vote of confidence for CC more than you could know! It’s so hard to know if Ive made the right choice….

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I hope your surgery goes smoothly and you’re out and healed up as quickly as possible @bright&shiny! Please check in with us when you’re able. Thinking of you…

Thank you - the good wishes help quite a bit during this stressful time. I’ll check in when I’m able!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @bright&shiny sending all the positive thoughts your way!
The one time IG ads are working in my favor!
Ellie Vail Jewelry looks like a good option - gold colored stainless steel. Ihave no experience with the brand though.
I’ve heard good things about Aurate also. I’ve purchased from Joe Luc before and they are great! They use gold filled though. which I think is usually brass as a base metal. I’m not sure if it may or may not also set off your nickel allergy?

Thank you for the suggestions! I’m planning to shop a bit tomorrow online. But I’m also getting the house ready for post-surgery stuff… so much to do. Thanks again!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear you'll be sick/away from home! I'd suggest the following:

1) The Japanese ebay sellers (Komehyo, brandoffhk, etc) have lots and lots of gold pieces at really good prices. They also have nice "statement" gemstone rings for a song. (Cartier trinity ring for $318!!! Lucky size 5 - 5.5)(Tiffany 18k earrings, also $318)(Simple gold and diamond necklace)

2) Costco. Tons and tons of solid gold options. Lots of diamond options. (Super nice diamond wedding band just under $500)

3) Ebay. Set your searches for solid gold (add "-filled -925 -fill -plated -plate -gf" etc to the search) and filter by the lowest price.

What great suggestions - thank you! We had hoped to get to Costco this weekend, but it’s not going to happen. We don’t have one in our state, so need to travel to Connecticut or Massachusetts…. They keep promising to build one, but it’s a complex and complicated system here…lol.

I’ll check out the vendors you recommended, too.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry you have this health struggle ahead of you. I feel you in needing to have a piece with you to help you feel sort of normal.
When I was in the hospital for an extended stay after surgery, I had my husband bring my platinum French cut diamond band for me. I definitely was missing having something on. The nurses understood and put tape over it whenever I had a test or procedure during my stay.
Sending you many healing vibes across the miles. ❤️

How sweet of your husband! I think the swelling from extra fluids necessary etc will make rings impossible, but I’m going to ask him to bring my wedding band just in case :). Thank you for the healing vibes. I need them! ❤️

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
No help from me, but best of luck for a successful outcome and a full and speedy recovery!

(I would not bring anything of value to the hospital.)

Thank you - and agreed. Nothing is coming to the hospital. This is for the week before (testing etc) and the week after I’m discharged because I can’t go home right away. But I don’t want DH to worry about anything that comes along - he has his hands full with me….poor guy!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

What a fab idea! I even have a Monet strand from a million years ago. I just found it recently. Anyone else remember that brand? I’m a pearl girl, but I was thinking of my beloved strands, which would make me very sad if they were gone. Woo hoo - more options. Thanks for helping me think!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
This is a good idea! An endless strand would not have any clasp to worry about.

Even better - thanks for the long strand suggestion!! My only current long strands are from Kojima, so not those, but it should be possible to pick something up online…..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do need them quickly - for some reason I’ve never turned to Amazon for jewelry. It’s a great suggestion!

What a small world - I’m amazed by how different CC is from the hospitals near us. So much calmer and patient centric. I’m glad you aren’t there yet - is there a chance it won’t process that far for you? I appreciate your vote of confidence for CC more than you could know! It’s so hard to know if Ive made the right choice….

There’s no way to know if it will progress. It’s my Pulmonary valve. It’s supposedly rare to have it leak enough to need surgery. You can have a defective one at birth..Those are more common. I just keep getting periodic echocardiograms to watch it. It’s been stable..My ejection fraction got a little lower than it should be at some point..but then went back up just into the normal range again. It’s really weird. I don’t even know if it’s related to the valve. Cleveland Clinic is the best. You’ll be in the best care..

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
best wishes with the surgery @bright&shiny
and good luck for your hubby too that he looks after you well

heart medicine just gets better all the time

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you @bright&shiny and wishing you an easy surgery and may it go as well as possible with a full recovery.
Sending you gentle hugs and all the best wishes.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, @bright&shiny I am so impressed by your courage. Wishing you the absolute best outcome and I will be thinking of you and checking in here for updates. As far as gold pieces, I recently purchased some fun chains and earrings from babygold.com. They're based in LA but ship really quickly (I live in the Midwest.) I bought two paperclip chains in different lengths and some large hoop earrings. Disclaimer: this isn't weighty gold, it's fashion...so don't expect to pay very fair prices. Still, it's fun stuff and if you have the budget to pick up a few fun pieces they do offer some on-trend statement jewelry.

I've really been digging Katmojo jewelry as well this year. She's NYC based, so shipments come pretty fast to the Midwest. (I'm next door to the state in which you'll be having surgery.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whenever I am going to something stressful and outside my comfort zone and can’t wear valuable jewelry I put on my necklaces my daughters made for me when they were little. Wooden blocks, plastic beads and yarn. Priceless but not something anyone would take. Plus I have the sense of my daughters near to my heart. Do you have grandchildren that can make a few bracelets and necklaces?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results