shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail polish!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I have nakie nails at the moment and am trying to decide what color to paint my nails. What colors do you usually reach for? What are your favorite colors? Do you match your nail color to your outfit/jewelry? :bigsmile:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
OH and most importantly, how good are you on making sure your nails look pretty in preparation for a pretty ring?? Or do you not care at all and let them go au natural? :halo:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
My dirty secret: I bite my nails sometimes! I can go a month or so not doing it but eventually I wreck my long nails and have to start over ago. :angryfire:

There was an awesome nail polish thread around Christmas I think, some of the nicest nails and impressive paint jobs I've ever seen! Can't remember if it's a LIW thread or hangout perhaps. But you'd definitely find inspiration there!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not surprised you can't decide, pandbee, we've all seen your nailpolish collection! :tongue:

I like to keep my fingers 'perfect' all the time but without polish - shaped (I'm into ovals), white whites, cuticles back, moisturized. Its the one beauty thing I am always on top of! Gosh I wish I had long willowy fingers and long nail beds!

I bought Nicole by OPI 'Kourt is Red-y for a Pedi' a couple of weeks ago that I've been wearing on my toes. Its the perfect bright red shade!

I'm going to a OPI/Revlon/Sally Hansen etc sale tomorrow, so perhaps I'll be broadening my horizons. :naughty:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I did my nails soft pink for a job interview last week, but other than that, I haven't done my nails in 5+ years. I'm just not committed enough to deal with the upkeep!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1361407216|3385836 said:
OH and most importantly, how good are you on making sure your nails look pretty in preparation for a pretty ring?? Or do you not care at all and let them go au natural? :halo:

I honestly don't care. I'm a nail biter, have been my whole life. If I get a ring, I'll have to run out and grab some fake nails to wear before I take pictures. :lol:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1361408911|3385862 said:
My dirty secret: I bite my nails sometimes! I can go a month or so not doing it but eventually I wreck my long nails and have to start over ago. :angryfire:

There was an awesome nail polish thread around Christmas I think, some of the nicest nails and impressive paint jobs I've ever seen! Can't remember if it's a LIW thread or hangout perhaps. But you'd definitely find inspiration there!

We had a LIW thread, I think I've seen a hangout one as well. Don't need inspiration :naughty: just trying to drum up some conversation!! Many of the pictures posted as inspiration were possibly also from nail bloggers online so don't feel bad!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a nail biter but I am bad about picking at dry skin (or any hanging skin for that matter) at my cuticles. It's been especially bad this winter too for some reason!!! I am trying to grow mine out (some fingers are more successful than others) but it's tough. Usually I go for a "squoval" shape but for growing purposes oval/round seems to work better!

I just had on a sparkly raspberry almost dark berry color in celebration of vday. Wish I had taken a pic but oh well. Online pictures are better than mine!

Zoya Blaze http://princesspolish.blogspot.com/2012/10/swatch-and-review-zoya-ornate-collection.html
zoya_blaze.jpg

I have been trying to tone it down and be more "professional" or workplace appropriate for rotations this year. Some months IDGAF because it was more laid back, but at a hospital I feel like it is more frowned upon if you show up with blue nails (as extensive as my love for blue polishes is :blackeye:)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1361410828|3385899 said:

I honestly don't care. I'm a nail biter, have been my whole life. If I get a ring, I'll have to run out and grab some fake nails to wear before I take pictures. :lol:

I remember Phaedra had broken a nail shortly before she got engaged and joked that she was going to have to glue on some fake nails before she would show us pictures here!! It was a moot point because her VC Emilya was so amazing no one noticed her nails anyway... :bigsmile:

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
No polish for me. I'm a nurse and can't wear it for work. :(sad

luckyerialc

Rough_Rock
My favorite shade is "ballet slippers" by Essie. It's a verrryy light pink nude color but is just opaugue enough to cover the entire nail and not show any white! I have also been getting gel manicures lately in a similar shade - I'm obsessed! Three weeks without any chipping!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bit off all my nails two weeks ago ;( so it's going to take forever to grow out since they grow slow, and my nail bed is very deep. Poo!

You mean like this?
fakeynails0981212.jpg

Haha, I was joking to audball that I'll bring around stick-on nails in my purse until I get engaged.. and took that pic!
I really do have those nails, but they're no longer in my purse. They're in my night table, waiting for emergencies! You never know when you'll need handshots!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My current favourite is by Essie- Topless & Barefoot - its a beautiful pale neutral... makes my fingers look longer!

luckyerialc

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1361459874|3386402 said:
My current favourite is by Essie- Topless & Barefoot - its a beautiful pale neutral... makes my fingers look longer!

This is also one my favorites! It especially looks great with a tan! 8-)

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
luckyerialc|1361412284|3385934 said:
My favorite shade is "ballet slippers" by Essie. It's a verrryy light pink nude color but is just opaugue enough to cover the entire nail and not show any white! I have also been getting gel manicures lately in a similar shade - I'm obsessed! Three weeks without any chipping!

Love Ballet Slippers! Right now I am wearing a pinky gray shade from Essie called 'Lady Like'.

I am trying to keep my nails nice just in case but sometimes I just wear some clear polish if I dont have time to make them really pretty.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I just got OPI Koala Bear-y and Speak for Your Elf! for less than half price. ~Self high five!~

I'm interested in the new Oz The Great and Powerful collection. I had a neutral I was OBSESSED with, it was an ORLY shade that was discontinued, and Glints of Glinda looks heaps like it in swatches. Pretty glitters too.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Once transitioning into UV gel polish (Shellac and Gelish) I really can't even stand regular polish.

I have a huge collection of normal polish but with perfect prep and application I can get maybe 3 days of wear. First sign of tip wear and I have to remove it. In terms of colors, a good jelly red (Hot Rod Red by gelish) or black (Bella's Vampire in gelish) is my standard. If my nails are getting on the longer side or if I'm sporting an oval shape, I'll move to a nude (Glamour Queen is my fav... very much like Essie Tea and Crumpets which was my holy grail of polishes for years) or very light pink.

Gelish takes about the same amount of time to apply as regular polish when you consider the drying time of regular polish. Yes there's a bit of additional cost but I love the product.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ms P|1361549085|3387621 said:
Once transitioning into UV gel polish (Shellac and Gelish) I really can't even stand regular polish.

I have a huge collection of normal polish but with perfect prep and application I can get maybe 3 days of wear. First sign of tip wear and I have to remove it. In terms of colors, a good jelly red (Hot Rod Red by gelish) or black (Bella's Vampire in gelish) is my standard. If my nails are getting on the longer side or if I'm sporting an oval shape, I'll move to a nude (Glamour Queen is my fav... very much like Essie Tea and Crumpets which was my holy grail of polishes for years) or very light pink.

Gelish takes about the same amount of time to apply as regular polish when you consider the drying time of regular polish. Yes there's a bit of additional cost but I love the product.

Ms P = is there anything special you have to do at home to apply or remove this type of polish? does it need a UV light to set it or anything? I'm definitely intrigued by the longevity of the gel polishes... would love to learn more about this product, if you use it at home!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1361552029|3387662 said:
Ms P = is there anything special you have to do at home to apply or remove this type of polish? does it need a UV light to set it or anything? I'm definitely intrigued by the longevity of the gel polishes... would love to learn more about this product, if you use it at home!

You do need a light-- they can be found for as little as $50 but realize that lower priced lights will take longer to cure the polish. For example, a lesser priced light(55watt UV light) will take like 3.5min to cure one coat, but a more expensive type (ie like a 30watt LED light) will take like 30sec.

In terms of removal, you will need to lightly buff off the top coat and then either soak your nails in remover for ~10min or wrap them in removal wraps for ~10min. Then just lightly push off the shriveled up polish.

It's the same process as if you go to the salon and get a shellac manicure (not sure if you've ever done that...)

Trying out gel manicures a few times at the salon is a good idea I think before investing in your own suite of products for at home.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I don't use gels (have had them before though and LOVED them) but I do swear by quick-dry gel type top coats like Seche Vite and Poshe. One coat on top of your normal polish and they are usually dry to the touch in a few minutes as long as your bottom coats aren't too thick. As long as you don't bump your nails into anything you're good! They dry with a hard shellac-like coat too so it's good to help even out glittery polishes.

madelise explained to me once (and I meant to look it up but I forgot to look into it more) that you can use normal nail polish colors with gel top coat and cure it that way too to get the long-lasting effect.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1361564870|3387906 said:
madelise explained to me once (and I meant to look it up but I forgot to look into it more) that you can use normal nail polish colors with gel top coat and cure it that way too to get the long-lasting effect.

I've heard this too but I haven't found it to work very well. First you have to do the foundation coat of the Gelish polish and then paint your regular polish and let it dry VERY VERY VERY well. Some suggest even overnight. Then do the UV Gelish topcoat. I've tried this a few times but I find while it lasts longer than normal, it doesn't last nearly as long as if you use all Gelish products. Plus it takes more time than normal full Gelish polish because you have to let the regular polish dry so well.

If you haven't tried Gelous from Sally Beauty you should try it... it works wonderfully for thick glittery polishes. Just do your 3 coats of glitter polish, one coat of Gelous, and then one coat of Seche Vite. It will be super shiny and pillowy!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Ms P|1361566635|3387940 said:
I've heard this too but I haven't found it to work very well. First you have to do the foundation coat of the Gelish polish and then paint your regular polish and let it dry VERY VERY VERY well. Some suggest even overnight. Then do the UV Gelish topcoat. I've tried this a few times but I find while it lasts longer than normal, it doesn't last nearly as long as if you use all Gelish products. Plus it takes more time than normal full Gelish polish because you have to let the regular polish dry so well.

If you haven't tried Gelous from Sally Beauty you should try it... it works wonderfully for thick glittery polishes. Just do your 3 coats of glitter polish, one coat of Gelous, and then one coat of Seche Vite. It will be super shiny and pillowy!

Ah yes, I do remember her mentioning that as well. Does seem to be a bit of a process. I just can't seem to get away from my wide range of color options and glitters though to make the jump to gels only ;))

I have heard good things about Gelous but I haven't tried it yet. I don't wear glitters as much as I used to anymore either but I will have to keep it in mind!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1361414718|3385985 said:
I bit off all my nails two weeks ago ;( so it's going to take forever to grow out since they grow slow, and my nail bed is very deep. Poo!

You mean like this?
fakeynails0981212.jpg

Haha, I was joking to audball that I'll bring around stick-on nails in my purse until I get engaged.. and took that pic!
I really do have those nails, but they're no longer in my purse. They're in my night table, waiting for emergencies! You never know when you'll need handshots!

Yes!!!! Exactly like that! :lol:

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I'm obsessed with all kinds of polish and applications... I actually just got a shellac manicure today! I usually get this done professionally to help grow my nails out and then will do some upkeep at home. I recently went to the beauty supply store with a friend who has her license so I get a GREAT deal! I bought a bunch of OPI including the base and top coat. When I use all the OPI products together I find that my results last almost as long as my gel manicure. I prefer reg polish to gel just because the gel is a little harsher on my nails and I start to feel like they need a break after a few manicures. I don't have at home gel stuff but I'm thinking of it. I also wonder about the UV exposure with gel and try to sunscreen my hands before I do it. I also really like the nail polish decal things. I've only tried Sally Hansen but I know there are other brands. I think the designs are super fun and it lasts like 10 days for me.

I'm absolutely horrible at picking my nails when they get too long. That's another reason that the gel polish is sometimes hard for me bc when it starts to grow out if I don't have time to go to the salon right away I end up picking at it and then it looks horrible! If I don't keep my nails nicely polished and manicured I'll constantly pick and bite and then they look perpetually awful! I've been trying to keep them nice recently since a proposal could be coming, but it's the upkeep that gets me because then I get lazy :cheeky: Murphy's law says I'll get sick of maintaining my nails and then I'll get engaged when they look like crap!

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
Well I feel you can't go wrong with light pink if you can't decide on a colour. Love opi polishes and they have so many fantastic colors to pick from. I do my nails once a week and have a nail polish addiction. I can leave the house without make up but not naked nails.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Could someone explain to me the more recent technological advances in nail polish? Seriously, i know that sounds ridiculous but when I see commercials or pass something in the drug store, I know there's something new about polish but what's the difference?

There seems to be those nail polish stickers that you rub on; some sort of magnetized nail polish; gel polish (is that only if you have gel nails?)? I need a quick tutorial. All I know of nail polish is old-school, Orly for example, base coat, two coats, top coat. Is there something that lasts much longer but doesn't require fake nails?

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
The "gel" polish is probably one of the newest advances. You might hear term like "shellac," "gelish," "gel" etc... they are pretty much interchangeable. These polishes are applied directly to your natural nails, no need for gel or acrylic tips or anything. Shellac and Gelish are brands of gel polish, and I think OPI has their own line as well. Basically these new polishes cure very quickly (I think the technology is based off of something in dentistry, like when they put sealants on teeth) and last a LONG time! Depending on where you go or the strength of the lights in the little machine, your manicure can cure anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. This means that once your hands come out, the polish is DRY! Like, for real, stick your hand in a bowl of flour, nothing will happen to your nails. The polish also lasts a really long time and is MUCH less prone to chipping than regular polish, and the polish stays really shiny. I have friends/family comment on my nails and ask if I just came from the salon and this is when it's a week (or more) old. I find that before the polish chips or dulls, my nails actually start to grow out and you can see the line of demarcation down by the cuticle. The negative (for me at least) with gel, or shellac or whatever, is that the polish isn't as easy to remove as regular polish. So if it starts to grow out or if it does chip, you usually need to go to the salon to have it removed, or have your manicure re-done. However, there are little remover pads you can buy at the store, or you can soak your nails in acetone. Basically you buff the nail, soak it in acetone or put the remover pads on, and then you can scrape the nail polish off. You can also do "at home" remover pads by putting a cotton ball soaked in acetone on your nail and then wrapping it in tin foil to keep it on there. Usually 10-15 minutes is pretty sufficient before you can scrape the polish off. I prefer this method or the store bought pads to actually soaking my fingers in acetone.

Check out this website for more information. CND was one of the first companies to market this new polish.

http://www.cnd.com/salon-services/what-is-shellac

The little decal things you find at the drugstore are also cool. I found that it took a while for me to get good at applying them myself, but I really like them and they last a long time. You can add a clear top-coat to these decals if you want, but it's not necessary.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I love gel polish in a nice soft pink...almost nude, and as the nail grows out a bit I add an overlay of rosé gold metallic from Sephora.
It's my lazy 3-4wk manicure!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you BeeCushion! You mention a nail polish dryer for the shellac/gellish polishes - do I absolutely need one of these in order to use that type of polish?

ETA: I should also ask about cuticle stuff - any amazing advances in dealing with dry cuticles? Lol

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Gel polishes require a UV light to set/cure the polish.
It is a wonderful innovation. It is amazing for pedicures too! It is very tough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results