shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail polish!!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
maccers|1361901295|3390899 said:
Thank you BeeCushion! You mention a nail polish dryer for the shellac/gellish polishes - do I absolutely need one of these in order to use that type of polish?

ETA: I should also ask about cuticle stuff - any amazing advances in dealing with dry cuticles? Lol

Ditto to what Harper said...you can probably find what you need through a good beauty supply store, but I don't think they are super cheap so if you have a friend with a license to get a discount that would be great (even a hair dresser you go to regularly...mine is usually super open to helping me get stuff that's not even related to hair). Also, the bulbs in the machine will need to be replaced from time to time. I think the package will tell you how long they last. I haven't fully researched all of this yet so I don't know what the total costs are. I usually pay $25-$30 each time I get a gel manicure, so I would need to figure out the cost/benefit of getting my own stuff since I don't know how disciplined I might be doing my own nails at home.
Re cuticles...I don't know about all the professional products but my manicurist gave me some almond oil which is great and smells sooo good! She told me to use it 2x a day I think, but I never keep up on it that regularly...maybe every couple of days, but I love it.

Also...great idea Harper about making your mani last longer! I always get antsy when they start to grow out and then I pick at my nails, not good! :-o I'll have to try this.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I love having my nails done and like to switch up the colors...but I usually find myself coming back to the same ones...

SO, if you had to pick ONE color for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I know for sure mine would be some sort of pink, I always gravitate to pink weather it's a pale barely there pink, or bright neon. I'll have to think before I can name a specific one...

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
BeeCushion said:

Gold! Its my signature colour. :naughty: Toes only!

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
Mine would have to be pink. But I do love Opi the one that got away. I just loveee the colour and keep going back to it. Might need to buy a third bottle :loopy:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I love CND gel manicures too (especially French style), but my manicurist told me to take a break after 2 in a row. The acetone soak really thins out and damages nails.

My favorite nail color is essie's Sugar Daddy. I like change though, and I like experimenting so I always have some kind of weird color on my nails if I don't have to see clients. I especially love bright blues and turquoise.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeeCushion|1362010838|3392204 said:

ONE? Mauve. A dusty-rose-y mauve color. UGH, but then I'd be stuck with it forever!!! ;( I'm sure I'd hate it soon.
But that's the color I gravitate most to. I use that color normally, and use it also for professional needs (interviews, etc).
It's understated and doesn't compete with bling's attention…
Yeah, dusty-rose-y mauve it is!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
My real question - what color goes best with a diamond ring? :)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1363717894|3408784 said:

ONE? Mauve. A dusty-rose-y mauve color. UGH, but then I'd be stuck with it forever!!! ;( I'm sure I'd hate it soon.
But that's the color I gravitate most to. I use that color normally, and use it also for professional needs (interviews, etc).
It's understated and doesn't compete with bling's attention…
Yeah, dusty-rose-y mauve it is!

my favorite dusty rosey mauve: OPI Gouda Gouda Two Shoes (doesn't turn out as light on me...but I love the hint of shimmer!)

sortmon|1363718727|3408799 said:
All the colors!!!!!! (insert madelise meme here :bigsmile: ) Lots of looks are awesome, depends on your personality!!! Classic French, a subtle pink, or something color/fun and blingy (or even just a bling accent nail) are my favorites!

goudagoudatwoshoes.jpg

SMC

Ideal_Rock
French is definitely one of my favorite looks. It's hard to find a good manicurist that will make the white part thin enough. I hate it when the white part is too thick - it just looks tacky.

What does everything think about painting the ring finger nails a different color? I personally couldn't do it because I think it calls too much attention ("Look at me! I'm engaged!") but I think the look is quite interesting.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1363720460|3408832 said:
sortmon|1363718727|3408799 said:
All the colors!!!!!! (insert madelise meme here :bigsmile: ) Lots of looks are awesome, depends on your personality!!! Classic French, a subtle pink, or something color/fun and blingy (or even just a bling accent nail) are my favorites!

Best? Nude nails. Nudish colors. Something completely understated so it does not compete for attention of the eyes. I always think Frankie's hand shots look very good cus of her nude nails.. Also charmy's.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sortmon|1363720803|3408840 said:
French is definitely one of my favorite looks. It's hard to find a good manicurist that will make the white part thin enough. I hate it when the white part is too thick - it just looks tacky.

What does everything think about painting the ring finger nails a different color? I personally couldn't do it because I think it calls too much attention ("Look at me! I'm engaged!") but I think the look is quite interesting.

Ugh I have a huge problem with #1 cus my nail beds are very deep. In order to actually paint the white where my nails are actually physically separated from the nail bed, it has to be deep…. ;( It's even worse because my nail bed separates at different areas on each finger, so they all look stupid. Haha. French nails look hideous on me cus of this!

I like the ring finger contrasting polish trend. It has nothing to do with being engaged or not. I don't prefer to use completely contrasted colors, and instead choose to just apply glitter to that finger. I lahv glitter!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1363721021|3408845 said:
I like the ring finger contrasting polish trend. It has nothing to do with being engaged or not. I don't prefer to use completely contrasted colors, and instead choose to just apply glitter to that finger. I lahv glitter!

That's a good idea. I think that I would do it with my non-ring fingers. Maybe my index fingers?

My boyfriend is quite straight-laced and he always disapproves of my nail color choices (and my sense of fashion). If it were up to him, my nails would be nude/pale pink all the time. I'd probably always be in polo shirts too. Good thing it's not up to him. :)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1363720803|3408840 said:

Ugh I have a huge problem with #1 cus my nail beds are very deep. In order to actually paint the white where my nails are actually physically separated from the nail bed, it has to be deep…. ;( It's even worse because my nail bed separates at different areas on each finger, so they all look stupid. Haha. French nails look hideous on me cus of this!

This! I think I have told this story before, but I had a patient ask me once in a very concerned voice because she saw her (presumably young) son's girlfriend paint her nails that way and didn't know if there was a secret meaning! Depending on the color/my mood, I'll paint my ring a completely different color, or just add a glitter of that same color family.

idk about the nude nails 100% of the time...FK's nails always have fun colors and they don't take any attention away from her holy grail!!!

sortmon you could accent whatever nail you want! I think for balance sakes, ring or pointer look best as the accent.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sortmon|1363721333|3408850 said:

That's a good idea. I think that I would do it with my non-ring fingers. Maybe my index fingers?

My boyfriend is quite straight-laced and he always disapproves of my nail color choices (and my sense of fashion). If it were up to him, my nails would be nude/pale pink all the time. I'd probably always be in polo shirts too. Good thing it's not up to him. :)

LOL mine too! I love gray nails and black nails with gradient glitter, and he just looks at me like I'm crazy. He said my gray nails look like corpse nails. Jerk!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought Seche Vite for the first time, and did a test on my pinky nail. Two days later it peels off in one sheet. UMMM WHAT! I thought this was supposed to be the holy grail of top coats!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Chewbacca|1363726237|3408938 said:
I just bought Seche Vite for the first time, and did a test on my pinky nail. Two days later it peels off in one sheet. UMMM WHAT! I thought this was supposed to be the holy grail of top coats!

did you paint it over anything? or just a bare nail?

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1363730416|3408995 said:

Bare nail. I'm assuming thats why, but LAME. I'ma try it over polish this week, but because I'm now scared of peeling I'll be adding it the day before I want my nails to be pretty!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Chewbacca|1363734984|3409038 said:
pandabee|1363730416|3408995 said:

Bare nail. I'm assuming thats why, but LAME. I'ma try it over polish this week, but because I'm now scared of peeling I'll be adding it the day before I want my nails to be pretty!

I've never tried it over bare nails so idk what happens...but it works great for me on polish! It shouldn't peel and I've used it with my drugstore polishes and my regular OPI/China Glaze polishes.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I'm so jealous of anyone who can paint her own nails. If I'm doing my nails myself, I can only use pale pink or clear as I can never ever paint "within the lines". Darker / opaque colors always look sloppy on me.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I am EXTREMELY CRAZY over making the 'outline' perfect. Hours of my life wasted! Dipping a brush in acetone and sweeping it around the cuticle works pretty well. Or nail polish strips!

I all but whip out a magnifying glass. I am that bad.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
hehehe Chewie. That is too funny. I strive to be like the girls in the nail blogs... :cheeky: I have had lots of practice to get a semi steady hand. When I paint, I purposely do not go all the way to the cuticle and make a border first before filling in the rest of the nail. My left hand still looks far better than my right though! (right handed)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love having my nails done and like to switch up the colors...but I usually find myself coming back to the same ones...

I know for sure mine would be some sort of pink, I always gravitate to pink weather it's a pale barely there pink, or bright neon. I'll have to think before I can name a specific one...

I rarely wear nail polish but I do wear toe polish
and my go to toe color( :cheeky: ) is OPI Lincoln Park After Dark. I always gravitate to the darker colors. I actually did get a manicure (rare for me) last week for a specific event so here's a pic of the color for those who might not know it. I wouldn't attempt to do my own manicure but I'm a whiz at doing my own pedicure. So much easier!

lincolnparkafterdark.jpeg

Mickeylover

Rough_Rock
Im a pediatric dentist so my nails have to be kind-of natural, so I have a gelish french all the time!! and because of the latex gloves normal nail polish cracks quickly so the Gel keeps my nails pretty for almost 2-3 weeks :D

Mickeylover

Rough_Rock
MISSY!!!! your ring is gorgeous!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mickeylover|1363819482|3409893 said:
Im a pediatric dentist so my nails have to be kind-of natural, so I have a gelish french all the time!! and because of the latex gloves normal nail polish cracks quickly so the Gel keeps my nails pretty for almost 2-3 weeks :D

Wow, that's pretty impressive. That is a challenging profession!! I know how difficult kids can be when it comes to things like going to the dentist. It's also pretty impressive that the Gel holds for 2-3 weeks given what you do!

Mickeylover said:
MISSY!!!! your ring is gorgeous!!

Thank you Mickey. It's still sort of new to me yet I have had no trouble adjusting haha.

Mickeylover

Rough_Rock
ha ha I could easily get used to THAT!!! I'll tell my SO to call your man for ring tips!! (just kidding). and thank you it is a challenging career but when you do what you love it cant be called work :love: so happy I've found you LIW!! I don't feel crazy and alone anymore :lol:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
I stocked up on TEN different colors of Essie nail polish this week!!! I'm so excited. I got 2 new spring colors too. I actually bought them online as they were cheaper online than at Walgreens.

I figured it's an investment and A MUST for a LIW, right? :halo:

Also - I tend to gravitate toward fun colors. Orange, Yellow, Purple, Blue, etc. I do my nails at least once a week at home... and go to the salon probably once every 2 month to get my cuticles cleaned up.

misscuppycake

Shiny_Rock
I'm jealous of all the girls who have beautiful nails! I can't seem to keep colour on my nails (I'm always chipping them, banging them up against things, etc.) so I just stopped trying. My feet are always pedicured but never hands. They're naked!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

Try Diamond Dry. It's at Sally's.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results