shape
carat
color
clarity

My WF/Union Diamond Knife Edge Solitaire E-Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Kit, your ring is BEAUTIFUL. I love the way the setting ''cups'' the diamond. It''s a seriously pretty ring.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
congrats kit, beautiful and classic!

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! Such a pretty ring. Enjoy!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and classic setting!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Hi Kit,

That is a beautiful ring!! Congratulations! cand thank you for sharing the nice picture.

I''ve been searching for a tiffany setting replica, and Union diamond one is one that I''m considering because of the smaller width of its band and the attractive price. If you could, could you tell me the following?

1) How close do you think your ring is to the real tiffany setting?
2) I realized that you got a stone from WF while getting the setting from UD. Who did the mounting? WF??cor local jeweler? I was thinking of doing the same thing, but am a bit concerned about who would be responsible if the diamond breaks in the process of mounting.
Thanks for your help.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!! Very pretty ring!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! LOVE IT!

Reminds me a little of Mat''s beautiful new Lockes. Lovely!

MORE PICTURES, PLEASE!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
FYI, this thread is from January
2.gif
and Kit hasn''t posted since March!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rascal49,

I didn''t realize that! Thank you very much for letting me know.
26.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey i didn''t realize it but Kit''s ring head, looks just like the Lockes solitaire!! except for the surprise diamond....but other than that it could be the twin double!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring and congrats on the engagement! Such a classic setting, I love it!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring & such a sweet proposal! Congrats on your engagement!
36.gif

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

It is so exciting to see a renewed interest in my e-ring! I am so so pleased with this Union Diamond setting, I think anyone who's looking at a classic knife-edge 6 prong solitaire should definitely give it some serious consideration.

Ocean, to answer your questions:

1) I am not sure, because I've never really examined the real deal in person! I think they are pretty close, and if you are okay with that, then I think you'll be satisfied. I will say this: I have my diamond set low into the head and I think this makes it look more authentic. Also, I have worn my ring every day since I got engaged (12/21). Washing dishes, sleeping, cleaning...I am rough on it. And it is in good shape. For the price, you really cannot beat it, and it will allow you to sink the majority of your ring budget into the stone. Also, you can do a setting upgrade in the future if you get tired of this look, and you will feel like you got your $$ worth out of this setting.

If you are considering it, just call Union Diamond and ask for Tony Rixom. You can order it so you can examine it in person, and then if you really don't like it I am sure he will take it back within the stated return policy. He is very professional.

2) I live in Northern VA so I had Quest set it. They have such a stellar reputation I was not concerned. I think your point is valid, if I were just walking into an unknown B&M I would be concerned as well. It might be worth your shipping the setting to your diamond vendor and having them do it--just a thought.

Good luck!

ETA: I was curious myself about the similarities between the Tiffany and the UD--below is the image from the Tiffany website. I have to say, they are pretty close if not as close as can be. I would say that the UD head does sit on the same little round "pedestal" as the Tiffany does, but from the pic below it looks like there are seams or joints where the separate parts come together--I kind of doubt this is the way the setting looks in person though, but maybe it does. Anyway, with the UD setting the crown/head part does appear to be welded to the little pedestal part, and then the shanks on either side welded to this. It's all very smooth and seamless. Also, there are the little gaps where the bottom of the prongs meet the pedestal thingy--IMO the best part about the setting. Perhaps the real difference between the 2 is the polishing? I don't know...the UD setting is pretty shiny. Hope this helps.
1.gif
engagement_tiffany_ring2.jpg

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
kit, that ring is lovely. does the setting sit lower than the tiffany pic you just posted??

you should post some more pictures, haha :):)
5.gif

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
No, I think it sits just about as low as the one pictured above...although mine is a lot smaller than that honker! I have a .70.
9.gif
I should take a few more pics from the side, so that we can fully examine the differences and similarities...I will see what I can do.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Hi Kit,

Thank you very much for giving me the details. That helps a lot!

I''m still contemplating what I want to do... My option is down to either go with UD or go with the local jeweler who does a custom made for $300 more.

A couple days ago, I went to Tiffany to see the ring in person (they were all gorgeous!!), and I did really love the setting. One thing I noticed was that Tiffany''s knife edge looked a little less sharper than UD''s. I could be wrong though. But, other than that, UD one does look pretty good.

So, yes, please put up more pictures if you can!! I would love to see your ring taken exactly same way as the pic you posted above.

19.gif

Thanks!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Ack!
14.gif
I am having some problems taking pics. I don''t know how I did it back January...I will keep trying.

I must say, this setting does have a serious knife edge on it, which I like the look of and I feel it makes the band look thinner visually, which was important to me. I have also noticed the strong edge prevents the platinum on the band from getting scratched up too much. But if you prefer a softer knife edge this is a consideration.

Okay, I will try posting pics asap!
2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Kit, please post more pix! I''m seriously considering this setting too.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
ooh, kit, pics matching the Tiffany pic would be perfect !! :) i hope you figure out how to do it.

by the way, what is your finger size if i mayask?

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Okay gals, here we go. I really hope these pics help you...I did my best! I am obviously not a professional
9.gif

Let me mention--I have a size 10 finger. Little sausages! But seriously, I think angles between the shank and the head would be different for a smaller size ring. So keep that in mind.

P1000309.JPG

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Another one...I had to compress the pics in order to get the file size down.

P1000310.JPG

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Here's another view I thought you all might like to inspect.

I would like to emphasize again that I have not seen the Tiff in person, however it appears from their pic that the head is basically "stuck on" to the band, for lack of a better way to describe it. Whereas, with my ring everything is very smooth and seamless. I think in my pics it's tough to tell because I couldn't get the lighting right so there's lots of shadows.

If you still need a better sense of it, I will go back to the drawing board and try different lighting scenarios. Let me know!
35.gif

P1000312.JPG

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kit,

Thank you very much for posting these prictures! Now I could see more clearly that your''s has sharper knife-edge, but it is definitely still very close... I don''t know which one I want to go with yet, but I will let you know when I decide. : )

Thanks for your help!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much, Kit, that was very helpful!

I love your ring, and it looks great on you. I think that's the setting I want when I get my dream gem.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Glad I could help. I am thinking maybe the prongs on the Tiffany are thinner than the UD, although I have a smaller diamond in the setting so it's tough to say for sure.

If you are really looking at all your options I understand the superbcert version is superior. However it is pricey.

Good luck!

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
thanks, kit!

i wonder what ct weight the diamond in the tiffany setting is pictured with...1 ct?

ive seen the tiffany ring at their store, i dont think the polish is how it looks in their picture, i think the polish looks more like kit''s ring actually. that''s just a photographer trick i think. (but maybe i am wrong , i wasnt as crazy about settings when i went there siz months ago, haha) :)

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
lol it also helps that the superbcert is featured w/ what looks like a 4 ct diamond!!! :) (see the pic)

i think the diff. between the superbcert and union is that the s has a lot thicker shank up and down wise near the diamond. otherwise they seem similar, both are pretty knifey knife edges too. but not from this particular angle, from the up front angle. the difference in price is more than double (almost triple??) for the platinum!!!

i wonder if union makes their 14k gold mix with palladium?

aswermn.jpg

Sunnygal

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
hmm, maybe the tiffany version''s prongs near the shank are closer together than the union version? or else that''s a trick of my eyes because of the different sized diamonds. my boyfriend''s brother''s fiance has the REAL tiffany''s knife edge w/ a .5 ct, too bad I can''t ask her to post it here because we barely know each other and she lives halfway across the country, darn it. :razz:

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
okay! i have photoshopped what i perceive the original Tiffany''s would look like with a .7 ish diamond.

i think the union one is practicailly identical, i just had a preference for the larger stone in the original tiffany''s before... :) (and my new diamond is about kit''s size so thats what it would look like too..)

if you dont think this photoshopped image would be the correct look of the tiffanys with a smaller size diamond, sorry and maybe if someone has one like that they can post it for us :)

thanks again kit!!!

tiff4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results