shape
carat
color
clarity

My Waterdrop Aqua!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so happy with it! It has more green than I expected, is more translucent than I expected, and is lighter than I expected and it''s just perfect! It''s also smaller than I expected lol Funny how the mind plays tricks - but when it''s set it''s going to be... perfect! I''m really excited!

I will post some pics later and we can compare them to the place''s pics, but first I have to a) take some and b) hang out with my father in law who just went to his first foreign country ever - aside from immigrating from mexico to the us :) I can already see the shell shock of being in China lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I want to say that I know this is way off the beaten path for what most people would like... but the more I look at it the more I love it! I am a little concerned about what it will be like set as it is more translucent than I expected and while I love the way shadows play in the stone I''m not sure what the shadows from the bezel will be like... regardless I am enjoying the heck out of this... it changes depending on the light.

I know none of this is new to you guys and I''m sure 99% of you would think this is the world''s ugliest aquamarine but I am looking at it through eyes that would appreciate a sunstone...

These pictures are taken inside near a window and on a window sil. They''re very accurate in color.

cbaqua2.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
~

cbaqua5.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
a

cbaqua3.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
a

cbaqua4.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
a

cbaqua1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
A little bit about the inclusions...

When I uploaded the pics to my computer and looked at them I was like WOAH look at all of that stuff! There are only 2 things you can see with the naked eye... one is the butt mole and the other is... well you can see it here. All of those other little things I guess are just the stuff that makes it slightly opaque. I actually really like to look at those striations but you can''t see them in person. The color is very even to the eye.

I love this little thing! I can''t wait to wear it :)

cbaqua6.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
And just for anyone who was curious about how different it looks from the vendor pic... here ya go...

It fluctuates between the darkest and lightest shades on the left but I have never seen it so blue as the pic they gave me. good thing I wasn't counting on that!!

cbaquacompare.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
omg - check this out! how lucky am I??? The color that I fell for is darn close... I didn''t know it would be!!! :)

cbaquadream.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so happy for you Sara. Your reaction is exactly what to expect when you fall in love with a stone. Awwww. I hope you get it set soon and have lots of fun and enjoyment wearing it.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE it! It''s gorgeous, just like a big fat teardrop. It will be beautiful in the setting, like a drop of water running down your hand. Love it. Enjoy!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s great! And not because it''s a market''s norm for fine aquas, but because:

- you love it
- it''s exactly what you were looking for and what inspired you
- you''re looking at the whole project and this fits it perfectly
- you love it...ooops, I already said that, but really, that''s what really counts.

It''s great to hear someone having so much enthusiasm about a stone, and also that there are people who appreciate jewellery as a whole, and are not just interested in finding the best possible stones (best perceived through the eyes of general public). Anyway, P. C. Faberge did some pretty amazing pieces of jewellery and no one''s bothered much by the fact that he didn''t use top quality materials to execute them. He looked through the eyes of an artist and that''s not something you find often these days.

Enjoy it! (not that you need to be told this...
1.gif
)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 9:23:47 AM
Author: ma re
It''s great! And not because it''s a market''s norm for fine aquas, but because:

- you love it

- it''s exactly what you were looking for and what inspired you

- you''re looking at the whole project and this fits it perfectly

- you love it...ooops, I already said that, but really, that''s what really counts.

It''s great to hear someone having so much enthusiasm about a stone, and also that there are people who appreciate jewellery as a whole, and are not just interested in finding the best possible stones (best perceived through the eyes of general public). Anyway, P. C. Faberge did some pretty amazing pieces of jewellery and no one''s bothered much by the fact that he didn''t use top quality materials to execute them. He looked through the eyes of an artist and that''s not something you find often these days.

Enjoy it! (not that you need to be told this...
1.gif
)

:) Yeah I had a couple thousand budget that I could have shifted higher if I needed to and I spent $30! I didn''t get the stone because it was cheap - when I saw it (I was searching blue pear cabs) I would have spent a lot more on it... the price is just the kicker! Thank you for appreciating the out of the box approach on this. I never liked aquas but I love this stone!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks dreamy and I am glad you love it. How do you plan to set it - in a diamond halo? I think it will look stunning.

I remember you telling us before but who is the vendor again? The photo is very different from the actual stone - both are beautiful though.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to add for my own amusement that when I first saw this my heart lept and it only took me about 1 minute to grab my credit card and purchase it - I irrationally feared that someone would get it before me and it wouldn''t be MINE! The funny thing is that I cannot tell you how many things I''ve looked for and thought oh I should get that, that''s not too expensive, oh I really like that - but to actually purchase? Very rare. I have "almost" bought a couple dozen stones over the years... one of the weirdest parts is that this came from that color and i can''t believe how close in color this is... to that green beryl. The picture showed no green at all... anyway, I know I''m overreacting but it just goes to show that it isn''t all about "quality" but about what makes your eye happy since that where beauty is after all, the eye of the beholder :) Just make sure you don''t overpay!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 9:45:09 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
The stone looks dreamy and I am glad you love it. How do you plan to set it - in a diamond halo? I think it will look stunning.

I remember you telling us before but who is the vendor again? The photo is very different from the actual stone - both are beautiful though.

I''m not going to set it in a diamond halo... I want this to be very simple and emphasize the shape of the stone and highlight the stone... I do love the halo look but maybe for a rosecut... hmm... it''s a thought but I am thinking just a metal halo set east/west. Not as a stacker ring, it will be stand alone. But since most of the time your hand is at least slanted if not sideways (as in a handshake) I want it to really look like a drop of water. It''s all about the water drop! I was going to put it in silver but now I may put it in white gold.

Vendor is just Gem Select. I bought this stone for its perfect droplet shape... if I was in love with that blue color I would have been really pissed at what I got - it''s not at all the same. but I was completely open to the color and it happened that it couldn''t have been more accurate to what I secretly hoped it would be. How lucky am I?? Still - their picture is pretty inaccurate. I would have been happy with the color as it is. I expected it could be darker, greyer, or washed out but I didn''t expect so much green in it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous!!

Speaking of drop of water, I've always wanted something similar as well, I especially love the look of "water"/"glass" jadeite that has a little glow to it. It doesn't come in a pear shape, but I love the look! I just thought I'd mention it since I "think" you're currently in China or going to be there soon? In which case you could find some very nice examples of this material.

T162-2.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a more "ideal" example (i.e. more transparent and near colorless)

T160-1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 10:55:05 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
It''s gorgeous!!

Speaking of drop of water, I''ve always wanted something similar as well, I especially love the look of ''water'' jadeite that has a little glow to it. It doesn''t come in a pear shape, but I love the look! I just thought I''d mention it since I ''think'' you''re currently in China or going to be there soon? In which case you could find some very nice examples of this material.
ooh that''s pretty! I like it! I''ve never heard of water jadeite before. I am actually living in China right now and I see tons of jade but I know absolutely nothing about what is what. Only problem with a droplet like the one on the hand is that once it is set it will lose that round bulgy dropletyness. It is gorgeous though :)

I live in Dalian, I''m going to Xian this next weekend but I don''t know where the great places to look for gems is - because all the stuff I see is pretty much crap.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 10:57:37 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
This is a more ''ideal'' example (i.e. more transparent and near colorless)
that''s really jade? it looks a lot like my stone! The color is about identical as is the way the light plays in it...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, if you want to maintain the "dropness" of it, then you typically prong set it.

When you see the jadeite in person, the glow is very unique, it''s quite unlike any other cabs I''ve seen. It''s kind of like how light plays in a drop of honey, very cool.

I actually don''t know any places in those cities, sorry! But I''m sure they are there, Jadeite is majorly popular in China, and a part of many traditional gifts. I would bet if you just look for the fanciest jewelery store/strip there is, you''ll find some very nice examples (and some very hefty price tags too!).

R246-4.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I think charmy nailed it..has a dreamy look..I prefer that color so i like it better than a bluer one..thats a nice natural aquamarine color as that color is indicative of it being unheated

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
woah - that last one is absolutely breathtaking!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Makingthegrade - Wow! That really looks like a drop of water. I suddenly want one now :razz:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I love this setting ...

JAR Emerald3.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
is that an emerald charmy? That''s a cool setting! In some ways I''d prefer prongs but I''m afraid of it taking away from the shape which was my first love...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely!
30.gif
I also prefer the actual over the vendor photo.

-A

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Quite a nice stone Sara! I love me those silky/sleepy stones with their understated glow. Have you thought about rose gold? I think it will contrast nicely with the greenish-blue of the stone.... unless you want the setting so minimal... then white metal. :) Please make sure to show us the final results!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very lovely stone.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s very pretty. I like that it seems to glow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results