shape
carat
color
clarity

My Upcoming Lab Diamond Project: 10.22ct G / VS1 EC lab diamond from Distinctive Gems

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone. I’m not a fan of matchy matchy so I would set slightly differently than the ring. It would look good bezeled.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unpopular opinion: Don’t. And don’t buy the ring stone either.

Three years ago a 2ct lab diamond was very rare and very expensive.

Now Lightbox is selling 2ct labs for $1600. $800 per carat.

In three more years perhaps 10ct labs will be $800 per carat too. Or close. Manufacturing technology is improving by the day... Buy a 12ct and have it recut into a picture perfect EC.

This stone is listed at $120k. It might well retail for $20k - or $12k - or less - in three years.

Or maybe in three years retail will actually be $100k… I doubt it. But the point is that we don’t know. In this case you’ll have several years of data to use for future predictions, and you can purchase at that time with much more confidence that it isn’t going to absolutely hemorrhage value.

The lab market is extremely volatile. From any sound fiscal perspective now is not the time to invest meaningful money (whatever that is for you) into the unknowns of this market. If you wanted 2ct labs I’d be all for buying, they’re “known” and right now likely as cost effective as they’ll ever get!

If you do purchase this stone, get your upgrade options in writing for this specific stone. Vendors can and do change their general policies without warning. Sometimes those changes negate older policies, and sometimes vendors refuse to grandfather older stones in. I’m not saying this vendor would do this, but you need to protect yourself. Even written specifics for your stone aren’t guarantees but it’s the best you’re going to be able to get.

Last edited:

MightyDucks

Rough_Rock

In three more years perhaps 10ct labs will be $800 per carat too. Or close. Manufacturing technology is improving by the day... Buy a 12ct and have it recut into a picture perfect EC.

This stone is listed at $120k. It might well retail for $20k - or $12k - or less - in three years.

Or maybe in three years retail will actually be $100k… I doubt it. But the point is that we don’t know. In this case you’ll have several years of data to use for future predictions, and you can purchase at that time with much more confidence that it isn’t going to absolutely hemorrhage value.

The lab market is extremely volatile. From any sound fiscal perspective now is not the time to invest meaningful money (whatever that is for you) into the unknowns of this market. If you wanted 2ct labs I’d be all for buying, they’re “known” and right now likely as cost effective as they’ll ever get!

If you do purchase this stone, get your upgrade options in writing for this specific stone. Vendors can and do change their general policies without warning. Sometimes those changes negate older policies, and sometimes vendors refuse to grandfather older stones in. I’m not saying this vendor would do this, but you need to protect yourself. Even written specifics for your stone aren’t guarantees but it’s the best you’re going to be able to get.

I believe DeBeers is setting the floor for lab diamond pricing. Lightbox $800 ct price is for Very Good cut and near colorless. Lightbox Finest which claims Excellent Cut and colorless is $1500 a ct. Thats still with no lab certification from a reputable lab. Sure there will be cheaper options in the future just like low quality mined diamonds from your local mall. My prediction is $1500 a carat will be the floor for excellent quality (no stria, no strange hues/tones, no phosphorescene, no metallic inclusions) lab diamonds cut to ideal standards accompanying a certificate from a reputable lab. It will be interesting to see how the market shakes up over the next few years. My local high end jeweler in my city just started carrying 2+ ct GIA lab diamonds. I chatted with him about it and he believes everything will be different in a few years. He said he is getting about 30% requests for lab diamonds so far mostly from millenials and gen-z. He believes within a few years his lab diamonds sales will surpass his mined diamond sales.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe DeBeers is setting the floor for lab diamond pricing. Lightbox $800 ct price is for Very Good cut and near colorless. Lightbox Finest which claims Excellent Cut and colorless is $1500 a ct. Thats still with no lab certification from a reputable lab. Sure there will be cheaper options in the future just like low quality mined diamonds from your local mall. My prediction is $1500 a carat will be the floor for excellent quality (no stria, no strange hues/tones, no phosphorescene, no metallic inclusions) lab diamonds cut to ideal standards accompanying a certificate from a reputable lab. It will be interesting to see how the market shakes up over the next few years. My local high end jeweler in my city just started carrying 2+ ct GIA lab diamonds. I chatted with him about it and he believes everything will be different in a few years. He said he is getting about 30% requests for lab diamonds so far mostly from millenials and gen-z. He believes within a few years his lab diamonds sales will surpass his mined diamond sales.

I believe some vendors are already seeing lab sales surpass mined!

And I agree. I also believe that $800/ct is probably the lowest prices will ever get. There’s still some manufacturing cost, as well as storage and sales expenses. And that top of the line goods will be more, perhaps double.

I’m curious where prices settle… But I will say here - for purposes of this specific thread - I’m completely, totally, 100% confident that $12000/carat will be an outrageous ask in a year or two, even in the 10ct+ size range.

MightyDucks

Rough_Rock
I believe some vendors are already seeing lab sales surpass mined!

And I agree. I also believe that $800/ct is probably the lowest prices will ever get. There’s still some manufacturing cost, as well as storage and sales expenses. And that top of the line goods will be more, perhaps double.

I’m curious where prices settle… But I will say here - for purposes of this specific thread - I’m completely, totally, 100% confident that $12000/carat will be an outrageous ask in a year or two, even in the 10ct+ size range.
Without a doubt! I thought the local jeweler in town selling the 2 ct GIA G Si1 for $9,300 was steep! I personally thought very long and hard about my ideal size when I decided to sell my ACA for a lab diamond knowing resell will be little to no options.

Last edited:

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock

I already purchased the ring!

I personally find it hard to believe that retail for such large lab diamonds will be $800 a carat, but that would be awesome!

I don't think there are any upgrade options for this stone, that I am aware of.

ETA: I wanted to add that I personally don't view diamonds as an investment, whether it's earth-mined natural diamonds or lab diamonds. I think resell value is awful for both and it's almost always very hard to find a buyer. I recently did a closet clean out and found this pretty much across the board...handbags, jewelry, diamonds, etc should not be viewed as investments imo. You are lucky to get even 50% (or more) back if you ever decide to sell. I buy things to wear & enjoy them, with the knowledge I won't ever see the majority of that money back.

Last edited:

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Waiting patiently for photos of the ring when it arrives. Did Jon send the tracking information yet?

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning and I wouldn’t worry too much things can change in price all the time, but this can be passed down forever.

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
I received the ring today!!

I am so, so happy with it. It is GORGEOUS. I cannot believe I am now the owner of a 10.22ct EC :love:

The sizing is perfect (that was the thing I was most unsure about....if 3.5 would be too small or big in this size band - 2.5mm - but it fits perfectly)

The craftsmanship of the ring itself is unbelievable, and the diamond is of course absolutely stunning.

My only issue is I kind of wish I went larger than 10ct :lol-2: .... I'm ready for a 15ct - 25ct EC now :dance:

Going to take pics ASAP!

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I have yellow / warm lighting in my home so the diamond looks like it has some yellow tint in this video (you can see my carpet looks beige too - it's actually a cool toned gray!). In person the diamond is very white.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!

That’s amazing!

Also, are all those rings in the grey holder yours? Looks like a jewelry shop! All diamonds?

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!

That’s amazing!

Also, are all those rings in the grey holder yours? Looks like a jewelry shop! All diamonds?

They are!! The solitaires are all lab diamonds....& one CZ (the larger MRB)

The yellow diamonds are earth-mined.

The other rings are a mix of earth-mined & lab.

ariaaaa

Rough_Rock
I am once again crying / puking / dying / distraught / whatever words i used on your radiant thread in the best possible way. :kiss2:

So so so beautiful and it looks perfect on you! Do you have a favorite among your ring family?

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
I am once again crying / puking / dying / distraught / whatever words i used on your radiant thread in the best possible way. :kiss2:

So so so beautiful and it looks perfect on you! Do you have a favorite among your ring family?

Ahhh I don't know, I go through phases I think. Sometimes the 5ct round is my favorite, sometimes the 10ct oval...now the 10ct EC might be my current favorite!!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh I don't know, I go through phases I think. Sometimes the 5ct round is my favorite, sometimes the 10ct oval...now the 10ct EC might be my current favorite!!

Can you just quickly give a caption of the first row of diamonds in your box? Size color and clarity? I just want to have an idea of how they compare to the look of the 10ct emerald

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
Can you just quickly give a caption of the first row of diamonds in your box? Size color and clarity? I just want to have an idea of how they compare to the look of the 10ct emerald

Sure! This is off the top of my head, so the clarity specs might be slightly off

first row:
3.69ct D/VVS1 MRB
4.01ct E/VVS2 MRB
5.01ct D/VVS1 MRB
5.04ct E/VVS2 pear
6.01ct E/VVS2 oval
6.5ct MRB CZ
10.12ct G / SI1 oval
10.22ct G / VS1 emerald
11.47ct H / VS2 radiant

I'll do the second row as well.

second row:
1ct fancy intense yellow cushion
3.15ct fancy light yellow oval (with fluorescence so it looks fancy intense)
4.15ct E/VVS2 emerald
Cartier white gold pave juste un clou double wrap

Last edited:

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Sure! This is off the top of my head, so the clarity specs might be slightly off

first row:
3.69ct D/VVS1 MRB
4.01ct E/VVS2 MRB
5.01ct D/VVS1 MRB
5.04ct E/VVS2 pear
6.01ct E/VVS2 oval
6.5ct MRB CZ
10.12ct G / SI1 oval
10.22ct G / VS1 emerald
11.47ct H / VS2 radiant

I'll do the second row as well.

second row:
1ct fancy intense yellow cushion
3.15ct fancy light yellow oval (with fluorescence so it looks fancy intense)
4.15ct E/VVS2 emerald
Cartier white gold pave juste un clou double wrap

I AM IN LOVE LOVE with your 3.15 fancy light yellow oval!!!! I hope to one day own a canary yellow diamond. :kiss2:
And what a collection you have, thank you for sharing. :twirl:

P

Petalouda

Your collection is next level!!! Your new ring is absolutely spectacular! Congrats!!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, would love to see some mod shots of this too!!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Wow… I never knew people had collections like these… that’s awesome, multiple 4 and 5 and 6 and 10 carat well spec’s diamonds and equally customized rings. If this is you buying, I am impressed. If it’s your partner buying, I am also impressed!

Question since you’ve been building your collection over time, have you noticed well spec’s larger than 5 carat LGD go down in price over time or stable? I figured the market for big diamonds are less.

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
Wow… I never knew people had collections like these… that’s awesome, multiple 4 and 5 and 6 and 10 carat well spec’s diamonds and equally customized rings. If this is you buying, I am impressed. If it’s your partner buying, I am also impressed!

Question since you’ve been building your collection over time, have you noticed well spec’s larger than 5 carat LGD go down in price over time or stable? I figured the market for big diamonds are less.

Hmm. I haven't noticed 5ct+ LGD going down in price. They seem pretty stable to me. Sometimes prices will fluctuate or vary depending on which vendor you are looking at.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Hmm. I haven't noticed 5ct+ LGD going down in price. They seem pretty stable to me. Sometimes prices will fluctuate or vary depending on which vendor you are looking at.

When did you start collecting 5+ LGD?

That’s what I noticed too.

Btw, I thought my wife was pretty cool with an oval and a pear but you’re just next level

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results