shape
carat
color
clarity

My start to a new jade obsession

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Catmom - those are very wearable modern yet classic pieces!

Bluegemz - thanks! I know how that feels about being shortchanged!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom, I love how you have a true set. I like the paleness, it's gentle, like water, which fits the swan theme in the gold.

Burmesedaze, ugh it's the most angering feeling ever. I'm still angry years later. Especially since I told the salespeople that I would be willing to pay for untreated, and they still insisted that it was. It was an icy bangle, which I didn't know at the time, would never have been priced under 20k if natural.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom, I love how you have a true set. I like the paleness, it's gentle, like water, which fits the swan theme in the gold.

Burmesedaze, ugh it's the most angering feeling ever. I'm still angry years later. Especially since I told the salespeople that I would be willing to pay for untreated, and they still insisted that it was. It was an icy bangle, which I didn't know at the time, would never have been priced under 20k if natural.

Thank you Bluegemz! I never thought of it that way. What a lovely sentiment.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom - those are very wearable modern yet classic pieces!

Bluegemz - thanks! I know how that feels about being shortchanged!

Thank you Burmesedaze.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About polymer impregnated B jade and some treatments. Please ignore if not interested, it's purely information. Low grade, opaque jade is turned into much more luminous and translucent jade. Typical polymer impregnated, B jade has a gelatinous, translucent look to it. But it has also become more subtle and less obvious over the years. Sometimes you can see the individual, jadeite crystal within. Because jadeite is an agglomerate stone, it has many, individual crystals, that interlock like a mosaic. Enormous pressure of subduction under earth's tectonic plates force the crystals to intergrow in a moderate heat, high pressure environment. There is silica between these crystals. Basically, in B jade, the silica between the individual jade crystals are dissolved in acid, and then a clear or sometimes colored ( if colored, this would then be B and C jade) is forced into the spaces where the silica dissolved, with a centrifuge. The finished Polymer jade will be more translucent with fewer off color stains , that were in the dissolved silica. The jade will often show microscopic acid surface etchings, which can look like a spiderweb of tiny grooves. The jade is 'dead' looking, ( but this takes experience to notice this) slightly lighter in weight than untreated jade, and much weaker. Polymer treatment hit the mainstream in the early 1980's., so anything from that time on could be polymer treated. Sneaky seller's will try to sell treated pieces which can go for many hundreds of dollars. Now they have grade A jade with grade B spot treatment too. AND, another new treatment is color polishing, where a jade will be listed as A grade, untreated, but it has been polished with pigment which is then sealed in wax. Inevitably, this will wear off, leaving a much paler bangle. Look for areas of strong colors that seem unrelated to the grain, pattern and texture of the jadeite body crystals. Because the colors in jade always come from mineral impurities seeping into the jade over millions of years, color will always be related to the grain and growth.
In nephrite jade, the only treatment is dye, and it's quite easy to spot when held to the light. It will look like a fine mist of dye lines, like moss. And then be sure you're actually getting nephrite not serpentine.

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How beautiful is this? My dream bangle...

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

I'm in line behind you Bluegemz as this is on of the most beautiful bangles I've ever seen.

But you don't ever worry about smacking them into something and cracking them?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in line behind you Bluegemz as this is on of the most beautiful bangles I've ever seen.

But you don't ever worry about smacking them into something and cracking them?
I know, it's amazing. Sigh...if only it weren't so expensive! I don't worry much about breaking my jades because they are just very strong. It's amazing. I wear mine almost everyday. The only break I ever had in a jade bangle was a B grade, treated bangle. Those are much, much weaker. That was my first bangle, a very bad buy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back for another look. I've just never seen anything like that before!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back for another look. I've just never seen anything like that before!
Here's another beauty that I thought you would enjoy. This one has green 'floating flowers' in a milky, blue body color with lavender color clouds. It's grain is micro crystalin. Jade is like poetry! Pieces like this are just so pure. No metal, no diamonds, a whole universe in and of themselves. If I imagine what thoughts might look like, or what spirit might look like, I imagine something like this. Some jade just touches those higher levels!

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

Last edited:

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
20170119_201634-jpg.482000

My last buy. I regret selling it. I took it to a jeweler who specialized in jade just to have it checked out. He offered me a great price and I decided to sell but regret it now since it is great jade. I should have kept at least a few stones. :( I haven't found another deal as good ever since.

Still, I wouldn't say this stuff is true imperial. It's green enough but the translucency isn't up there. I will have an imperial ring...some day!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20170119_201634-jpg.482000

My last buy. I regret selling it. I took it to a jeweler who specialized in jade just to have it checked out. He offered me a great price and I decided to sell but regret it now since it is great jade. I should have kept at least a few stones. :( I haven't found another deal as good ever since.

Still, I wouldn't say this stuff is true imperial. It's green enough but the translucency isn't up there. I will have an imperial ring...some day!

That's a great goal! I like your attitude...I will have one someday....that's the spirit!

Those are a lovely green. I agree with you, I think they are not imperial, but still a rare, vibrant and intense apple green. The color is like pure life energy. I'm sure you will get a fabulous piece of your dreams someday.

Yesterday, I saw a platinum, diamond and deep green jadeite ring. Price was 25k on the secondary market. I fell in love, but the price was way too high for what it was. I could imagine 10k. It's so much work to find the right thing. This is why I'm resigning myself to 'jewelry karma' . If it's meant to be, then a way to get it will become clear. My personal dream is one of the blue bangles, or something like them, which I posted above. I cannot get enough of blue jadeite, my absolute favorite. Someday I will! I just need a lot of free cash.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another beauty that I thought you would enjoy. This one has green 'floating flowers' in a milky, blue body color with lavender color clouds. It's grain is micro crystalin. Jade is like poetry! Pieces like this are just so pure. No metal, no diamonds, a whole universe in and of themselves. If I imagine what thoughts might look like, or what spirit might look like, I imagine something like this. Some jade just touches those higher levels!

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg
Wow, that is unbelievably lovely. I'll take this one off your hands and leave the other blue for you. The translucence, the bits of green (can't really see the lavender but trust its there) and depth would have me falling into it, gazing deeply and imagining another world until finally someone would nudge me back to reality!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of my first collections are actually Jade bangles. Here's one of my favorite bangle I got in HK a long time ago back when ice jades are affordable. It's got a sort of purple sheen, and I read that there was a strike of Jadeite in Russia back then that has this characteristic.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For those who like big rocks!

A common sight to Burmesedaze, but the biggest Jade boulder is in Yangon! Mined from the Kachin State, it weighs about 33 tons and measures 12 feet in length.

image.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who like big rocks!

A common sight to Burmesedaze, but the biggest Jade boulder is in Yangon! Mined from the Kachin State, it weighs about 33 tons and measures 12 feet in length.

image.jpeg
Just impressive and beautiful. These boulders are pushed up through tectonic uplifting in jade dikes. They went through millions of years of subduction, pressure in the earth's plates, and then finally uplift through the Earth's crust. They are ancient!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol that's the largest they managed to transport intact. It's utility jade quality.

The bigger and better boulders were dynamited insitu into pieces to transport them across the border.

thedealhuntress

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have this pendant that is approx. 2.75" x 1.5". By looking at the carving and photos, can anyone tell me if this is Jade or Jadeite and type or quality? Thanks for your help. Nikki
IMG_2430.jpg IMG_2434.JPG IMG_2437.jpg IMG_2441.jpg IMG_2434.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have this pendant that is approx. 2.75" x 1.5". By looking at the carving and photos, can anyone tell me if this is Jade or Jadeite and type or quality? Thanks for your help. Nikki
Hi Nikki,
It's definitely jadeite of large and coarse grain, but I cannot tell whether it is treated or not. It doesn't seem obviously treated, but many pieces are very subtle. If it were treated, it would either be with polymer, which is grade B jade, with polymer and color, grade B +C, or just with dye color, grade C jadeite. If natural, it would be grade A.
The best thing is to send it for testing with infrared spectroscopy. Often the acid bleaching done in the process of polymer impregnating removes brown stains in the silica of the jade. I'm seeing some small brownish marks, which COULD mean that it hasn't been bleached, but without certification, it's hard to be certain.
Do you know about how old it is? That would help determine treatment if you're sure of the history. Polymer treatment started in the early 1980's, so if it's been in your family since before then, we can rule out polymer. There is then still the possibility of dye, but often color dyes of the 1950's-1960's eventually faded due to their organic origins.
In terms of quality, many factors determine this, such as degree of translucency, amount of flaws and cracks and stone lines, (usually carved pieces are concealing stone lines and coloration flaws and impurities), grain, with fine being the most highly prized, fineness of carving, colors and composition of the jade. Your pendant is beautiful but would not be considered a particularly expensive or high quality piece if relatively new. If it were antique, or very old, that would add some value. The carving is hand done and it is 3 color jade, which both add value to the piece. If treated, this reduces value drastically.

Last edited:

samranmal

Rough_Rock
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I went to a gem/jewelry show today and came home with my first piece of jade. I will admit that I know very little about jade...gems have always been my passion. I've just recently started down the road of learning about this stone. I spent a lot of time talking to the woman who sold me this piece, and after hearing her story, the origin of the jade, etc. I made the decision to jump in head first. Thoughts on the quality? I love the carvings and meaning behind each item...

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't tell if it's A, B or C jade, but it looks hand carved rather than machine carved. But probably not by a masrer craftsman.

The top piece is a ruyi. The bottom carving I can't tell what it is though I think I see a small ruyi there too, alongside the figurine?

If it's A jade and the colour is natural, it's a nice green, not too dark.

samranmal

Rough_Rock
I can't tell if it's A, B or C jade, but it looks hand carved rather than machine carved. But probably not by a masrer craftsman.

The top piece is a ruyi. The bottom carving I can't tell what it is though I think I see a small ruyi there too, alongside the figurine?

If it's A jade and the colour is natural, it's a nice green, not too dark.
She told me it was A Jade. I guess most of her carved pieces were family items that she repurposed to more 'modern' settings. Her grandmother collected Jade, this was one item. I have the names of the three carvings written upstairs. She said the figure is a ground dragon (can't remember the real name) climbing on a goard. The back is some sort of flower.

She had some beautiful jewelry...but a lot of it was out of my price range!! :)

Thanks for the feedback!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For jadeite educational purposes, I am presenting a piece of machined carved jadeite. This pendant was gifted by a seller when I bought a bangle. You can see that it's low quality jade because the color is barely lavender, rough grain and mostly opaque. Yet, there is a finely carved dragon and Phoenix on it. No one would put forth the hand work for such a carving unless the return on the jade would be great, certainly not on a piece like this. This is a clear indicator that its machine carved. Think of effort to fit the quality. Look for carving that is also unrelated to the features of the stone. Hand carved pieces are ALWAYS related to the natural coloration patterns, stonelines and texture of the jade. Machine carved pieces are simply done on top of many identical shapes of jade pieces, such as this generic pendant. Carving machines are extremely complex and expensive machines which are programmed, so carved pieces made by machine are made at only the biggest jadeite processing factories in China.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here...I never wear this, but it sits in a bowl of jade pebbles at home as room decoration.

IMG_3517.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For jadeite educational purposes, I am presenting a piece of machined carved jadeite. This pendant was gifted by a seller when I bought a bangle. You can see that it's low quality jade because the color is barely lavender, rough grain and mostly opaque. Yet, there is a finely carved dragon and Phoenix on it. No one would put forth the hand work for such a carving unless the return on the jade would be great, certainly not on a piece like this. This is a clear indicator that its machine carved. Think of effort to fit the quality. Look for carving that is also unrelated to the features of the stone. Hand carved pieces are ALWAYS related to the natural coloration patterns, stonelines and texture of the jade. Machine carved pieces are simply done on top of many identical shapes of jade pieces, such as this generic pendant. Carving machines are extremely complex and expensive machines which are programmed, so carved pieces made by machine are made at only the biggest jadeite processing factories in China.
This is good information, Bluegemz, thanks!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I went to a gem/jewelry show today and came home with my first piece of jade. I will admit that I know very little about jade...gems have always been my passion. I've just recently started down the road of learning about this stone. I spent a lot of time talking to the woman who sold me this piece, and after hearing her story, the origin of the jade, etc. I made the decision to jump in head first. Thoughts on the quality? I love the carvings and meaning behind each item...
Really lovely, congratulations ! I like your attitude! You just jumped right into getting a jadeite piece. That's the start, probably not the end because jade collecting is very addictive due to the magic of this gem.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of my jade rings. Yes, I like big and showy!
These are all vintage, and all 14k, except for the sterling one. My dad bought that one for me when I was 12 years old. I'm now 53. That's how long I have loved jade!
None of them are worth a fortune, but I love them all!
The bridge work is cool, too, so I'm including a photo of the undersides. I have a renewed appreciation for nephrite. IMG_20170703_172955873_HDR.jpg IMG_20170703_173105733_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of my jade rings. Yes, I like big and showy!
These are all vintage, and all 14k, except for the sterling one. My dad bought that one for me when I was 12 years old. I'm now 53. That's how long I have loved jade!
None of them are worth a fortune, but I love them all!
The bridge work is cool, too, so I'm including a photo of the undersides. I have a renewed appreciation for nephrite. IMG_20170703_172955873_HDR.jpg IMG_20170703_173105733_HDR.jpg
Stracci, what collection! Love the sentiment behind those too, especially that your father gifted one of them. I love nephrite jade and jadeite jade, but nephrite has a unique beauty all its own, which is very soft and glowing. I'm like you, I love big rings! In my jade collection, I have mostly a lot of bangles, but I have 3 jade rings, 2 of which are nephrite rings, and they are both huge. Here they are...first is a custom made snake ring around a piece of California Vonsen's blue jade, and the second is a funky vintage grape ring from the 60's-70's.people always smile at my grape ring. I think it has a fun, less serious look that puts people in a good mood, probably because they remember the 70's! This was a time when jewelry was playful and decorative, even in fine jewelry.

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

Last edited:

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
That's a lovely description, and perfectly captures the piece. I could stare at that all day.

I am completely ignorant of jade and just beginning by reading your very informative posts.

How much would this bangle cost? I assume $20K, like the other one you posted?

Do you know of reliable jade dealers accessible from the US? I apologize if you have answered the question before. Your posts are so evocative that I have become interested in jade for the first time and am thinking of making a purchase.

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a lovely description, and perfectly captures the piece. I could stare at that all day.

I am completely ignorant of jade and just beginning by reading your very informative posts.

How much would this bangle cost? I assume $20K, like the other one you posted?

Do you know of reliable jade dealers accessible from the US? I apologize if you have answered the question before. Your posts are so evocative that I have become interested in jade for the first time and am thinking of making a purchase.
I'm truly pleased that you're getting inspired. That bangle is 100k, but could privately be negotiated down to about half of that.

i would start by looking at the range in types of jade at jadefinejewelry. Everything listed is overpriced and needs to be negotiated, so they may not be the best if you don't like negotiating. They are a huge producer of jade and can help you find things. They have only sold A grade, to my knowledge, and I've had acquaintances who have purchased and then sent things to be tested at the GIA. Results are always A grade, untreated. They have a lot of inventory not listed, and sell bangles that are into the millions, so they can get anything you want.

Other sellers are ultimatejadeite, Desiretreasure (also negotiate for about half) and there are numerous other sellers I could list off. Maybe start by looking at jadefinejewelry for ideas in what's out there. Remember that the prices will seem daunting, but they will work with you. There are some other places I will post when I remember the names.

Also, you could buy secondary market which might save you money and you can find older jade types that are snatched up super fast on the new market by jade buyers. One sometimes has a better chance of getting uniquely beautiful things this way. For example, I bought my antique carved bangle from a woman who's father was in the jade business for many years. I love that it's old. One needs to be careful going this route because you need to have some knowledge, and trust the seller's. Often people don't really know what they are selling. I saw a green agate bangle selling for 2k because the seller thought it was jade...that kind of thing.

Alohamemorabilia on etsy and ruby lane has vintage jadeite. They know their jade and are careful to sell untreated. Check out thier Facebook pictures! I hope this is a start.

Oh, there is a seller on eBay by the name of Piccolinagems, who has a few bangles and pendants. She is selling secondary market, but high quality, A grade. She might be able to help direct you also.

There are many fake certificates out there. Just because it says 'verified' doesn't mean that it is. Jadeite market is rife with trickery, truly. Watch out for terms like 'AAA' ...there is no such thing, only A grade. Common sense helps here. You are not going to find a translucent, lavender bangle with fine grain and strong color for just a few hundred dollars. ..on any cerificate, look for a lab number of the item. You should be able to pull up the lab, enter the is number, and pull up a picture of the jade piece.with all of the details..there's a lot more to it than that, but feel free to ask questions as you go along!

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

After staring at the photos, I think it's a Goddess of Mercy (Guan Yin) with a kid deity alongside her. She's sitting cross legged on a lotus pad. If it's really old, bear in mind that lavender jade was not a desirable colour in China until recent years, likely to be untreated, if that is the natural colour. The carving isn't finely executed so probably not an expensive piece to begin with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results