shape
carat
color
clarity

My start to a new jade obsession

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some dark green, unset, A grade jadeite disks. Also, a very gel like disk from native, marine nephrite jade, from Big Sur area, off the coast of California. This was made by my friend, Allan Spehar of Jadedivers. I love disk shapes. The larger one looks great paired with a gold chain.

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
That imperial jade green is otherworldly heavenly!
Thanks, Yes, Normanitsws, it was! As I said, I never had had the least bit of interest in Jade, but seeing this has made me see why zillions of people love it. I have seen the error of my ways. :lol:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like carvings. I think they are like poetry at a given time on a given space at play with the organic nature of the jadeite they are carved on. It takes a good eye, experience and understanding of the potential of the raw material to carve. I've been eyeing this Shanghai-based seller on Facebook a long time and took the plunge today to buy these 2 jadeite carvings. To be mailed over :)

Oh and because they can't carve such delicate relief or detail in Myanmar. You need the China craftsmen for such delicate work. As well as understanding of Chinese poetry, symbolism and meaning.

Photos are from the seller's facebook account.

18768462_1543366142390805_980165279192802207_o.jpg

19264507_1544465685614184_8139148356075326117_o.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are some dark green, unset, A grade jadeite disks. Also, a very gel like disk from native, marine nephrite jade, from Big Sur area, off the coast of California. This was made by my friend, Allan Spehar of Jadedivers. I love disk shapes. The larger one looks great paired with a gold chain.

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

I love them jade doughnuts :), especially the simple white one you have in rose gold! I'm still on the lookout for a nice matching pair for earrings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them jade doughnuts :), especially the simple white one you have in rose gold! I'm still on the lookout for a nice matching pair for earrings.
Thank you! Yes I just love them! The white one is very plump. I received the disk first and then I had it set by Churkworkshop on Etsy. He is good with metal smithing with jades. He also made my recent turquoise pendant, and hinged bangle. I have never purchased the jade itself from him though.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze, those are lovely! Very beautiful Chinese craftsmanship!

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
I like carvings. I think they are like poetry at a given time on a given space at play with the organic nature of the jadeite they are carved on. It takes a good eye, experience and understanding of the potential of the raw material to carve. I've been eyeing this Shanghai-based seller on Facebook a long time and took the plunge today to buy these 2 jadeite carvings. To be mailed over :)

Oh and because they can't carve such delicate relief or detail in Myanmar. You need the China craftsmen for such delicate work. As well as understanding of Chinese poetry, symbolism and meaning.

Photos are from the seller's facebook account.

18768462_1543366142390805_980165279192802207_o.jpg

19264507_1544465685614184_8139148356075326117_o.jpg
Wow, those are beautiful, Burmesedaze. You sure know how to find treasures! :love:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a beautiful "Hetian" nephrite jade bangle with "sugar" crust. This is selling for 22k, 12 thousand wholesale. Most people think that nephrite is inexpensive. Most of it is, but the high quality greens, blacks and whites can be extremely expensive. I've seen some nephrite, Hetian bangles selling for 90 thousand dollars.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here..

IMG_3323.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one for 90 thousand!!! The texture is extremely fine, with even color and translucence.

IMG_3324.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go for em, Bluegemz!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 90,000 white bangle I can't figure out why it's that pricey... Hmm

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 90,000 white bangle I can't figure out why it's that pricey... Hmm
I agree, it's crazy! They are getting very, very expensive. This is Chinese river jade. Maybe the strong buying market in China? One might be able to negotiate that retail price down to half, but still that's 45 thousand!

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope. The jade market is still depressed and prices are still lower than 3-4 years ago.

This is my type A jadeite bangle, greyish white, US$60. There are whiter ones than mine only a few hundred dollars, that I've seen here. They look the same as the 90000 bangle!

20170624_190332.jpg

20170624_190340.jpg

20170624_190329.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These come from jadefinejewelry, which is a major cutter and factory of both jades. that's what's on their site. You are comparing white jadeite to Chinese nephrite river jade, so there are differences. Hetian jade is very iconic to Chinese people, as I understand it.
From my experience based on people who have purchased from them, one can negotiate unofficially for about half of the stated prices.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And a beautiful "Hetian" nephrite jade bangle with "sugar" crust. This is selling for 22k, 12 thousand wholesale. Most people think that nephrite is inexpensive. Most of it is, but the high quality greens, blacks and whites can be extremely expensive. I've seen some nephrite, Hetian bangles selling for 90 thousand dollars.

Possibly owing to the rarity of them and no new sources! Probably also a status symbol to own good ones in China and high society itself.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly owing to the rarity of them and no new sources! Probably also a status symbol to own good ones in China and high society itself.
Yes this, and Chinese nephrite river jade, aka 'mutton fat' has a very special texture and glow that jadeite does not have, even in its finest grains. Nephrit's softness of light glows whereas jadeite has a sharper, glassy look to it.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would you know what nephrite this would be? It's a jade pendant I bought from a high street jewellery store in Singapore because I liked the rose gold look and detail on it. Was told it's nephrite from China and untreated, but the SA did not know what exactly and that was before I got interested in jade.

My Burmese jewellers can tell with one look it's Chinese nephrite. I really can't! :)

20170624_192340.jpg

20170624_192350.jpg

20170624_192400.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it could be nephrite to me too. I cannot tell from where though. It could well be Chinese. The most prized type is a pure white, but often there are variations in green and yellow/brown or grey tones. Like this Siberian river jade. See picture. This comes from the other side of the Himalayas from the Chinese river and mountain nephrite jade.
There is also ALOT of nephrite coming from Korea which is sold as Hetian, but is much, much less rare. It has a light green cast to it, and some very fine, salty grains in it. Also, there are many forms of serpentine which mimic nephrite jade, but they are not the same, such as Bowenite. One can find many bangles online, for under a thousand, which are likely from this material.
The difference is that when nephrite is made, it needs steady, high heat, low pressure, but no moisture. If water comes into this process in formation, then it becomes serpentine, not nephrite. It is not as hard, and takes a waxy polish. Hard nephrite can take a very shiny polish.
A specific gravity test separates serpentine look a likes from nephrite easily.

IMG_3325.JPG

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very tricky! Here is a 50$ Bowenite bangle. It's related to nephrite in the minerals, but again, during formation, water was present. Regarding serpentine, there are varying colors and hardnesses, depending on how much water was present. It is often found around and near nephrite.

IMG_3327.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a Bowenite bead which I just discovered that my jade artist friend made!

IMG_3328.jpg

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like nephrite to me too. I cannot tell from where though. It could well be Chinese. The most prized type is a pure white, but often there are variations in green and yellow/brown or grey tones. Like this Siberian river jade. See picture. This comes from the other side of the Himalayas from the Chinese river and mountain nephrite jade.
There is also ALOT of nephrite coming from Korea which is sold as Hetian, but is much, much less rare. It has a light green cast to it, and some very fine, salty grains in it. Also, there are many forms of serpentine which mimic nephrite jade, but they are not the same, such as Bowenite. One can find many bangles online, for under a thousand, which are likely from this material.
The difference is that when nephrite is made, it needs steady, high heat, low pressure, but no moisture. If water comes into this process in formation, then it becomes serpentine, not nephrite. It is not as hard, and takes a waxy polish. Hard nephrite can take a very shiny polish.
A specific gravity test separates serpentine look a likes from nephrite easily.

IMG_3325.JPG

Bluegemz, you are so knowledgeable in jade. You know the texture of the jade and I always confused with the terminology they used on jadeite. I learned a lot of information of jade from you. I have enough knowledge for faceted gemstones but not jadeite. Since I am not familiar with all the treatment and terminology of jadeite, I do not have any jadeite.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz, you are so knowledgeable in jade. You know the texture of the jade and I always confused with the terminology they used on jadeite. I learned a lot of information of jade from you. I have enough knowledge for faceted gemstones but not jadeite. Since I am not familiar with all the treatment and terminology of jadeite, I do not have any jadeite.
Thank you! I'm pleased that I can pass on what I learned. I had an obsession with both jadeite jade and nephrite jade for years. During that time, I collected both types, read, studied, met other jade lovers, etc. jadeite and nephrite jade are extremely complex gems and harder to gain knowledge of in my opinion. Yes, there are SO many treatments these days! It's a sharp learning curve. My first jadeite bangle was a highly treated, B jade, polymer impregnated bangle. I was tricked by the seller. Since I paid a lot for an essentially worthless piece, I was inspired to learn about both jades, so that wouldn't happen again. I would show a picture, but it broke and I threw it away.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 more Hetian river nephrite jade pieces....they are just so pure looking. Never purchased from this seller because I think they are overpriced, but just posting pics for beauty.

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, wonderful jade pieces!! I only have a few pieces myself that my hubby bought be a long time ago in Japan. They are pale but I love the gold work on them. IMG_2259[1].jpg IMG_2260[1].jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results