shape
carat
color
clarity

My spinel is cut! Jerry/Gemart pics + bonus!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Quick little story...

As I was looking for THE perfect spinel for my ering project, I was speaking to Jerry from Gemart Services who I was referred to by the lovely TL. We were talking about color and such and he mentioned that he had some Rose de France on hand that seemed to fit the description of the color I liked. Cutting quartz in an asscher pattern is not ideal, or the norm from what I gathered because of "light leaking" in the stone. (Jerry explained it way better. lol)

Anyway, he cut it and I loved it, but he wasn't happy with it. I guess this brought a challenge to him to get a successful asscher pattern in a quartz stone, so he went for it again with a modification and man did it turn out gorgeous!! I got an email from him today and he was able to get my stone cut earlier than I thought and sent me some pictures of both my spinel and the quartz.

My spinel is 8.7 x 7.8 and 3.4 carats
Quartz- 9x9 and 3.83 carats

I'm still so wow'd by the photos it's hard to imagine holding this stone for real! (and yes, I'll likely get both, just because!) He is amazing. (Thanks again, TL!!) :love:

Dunno if I can post all the pics in one go, there are a few!

Asscher Spinel- 010.jpg

Asscher Spinel-001.jpg

Asscher Spinel-Quartz 015.jpg

Asscher Spinel-Quartz 017.jpg

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
and the rest... :)

Asscher Spinel-Quartz 019.jpg

Asscher Spinel-Quartz 022.jpg

Asscher-Quartz 012.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look lovely! What are your plans for settings?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Rox ~

Thank you for sharing the behind-the-scenes story about these two beautiful gems! I realllly like the quartz :bigsmile: Cannot wait to see your pics....

Congrats :appl:

~ faegrace

SB621

Ideal_Rock
oh gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! I love them both- but that elongated cut is perfect for my non elongated fingers! :D
Plus I'd likely crunch a quartz since I'm rough on jewelry. I can't imagine not keeping both though, especially at Jerry's prices.

The setting sketches are being drawn this week, but here is a photo of the inspirational piece that was designed originally by Philip Press- (as I just saw a topic on imitation... flattery or not) ;-)

There are quite a few changes that I am asking for but the basic design is there. Hopefully what I want to have happen and what is possible and in my budget can mesh. *fingers crossed*

PPress.JPG

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
B E A U T I F U L !!!!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones are gorgeous! Jerry is a great cutter! This is a pretty ring! So any variation there in, would display your spinel nicely!!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Yay! You must be SOOO excited!!
They're both absolutely stunning- I can't wait to see it set. I'm so happy for you!!! :bigsmile:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Rox ~

Scrumptious setting inspiration to suit an equally delicious gemstone! :love: Your heart must be soaring....

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FR,
I'm so happy that Jerry came through for you. He's wonderful, and you are one lucky lady!! :appl: The stone came out better than I think any of us expected (except me, because I knew it had lots of potential. :naughty: ;)) )

T

talamasca

:love: :love: wow, I'm so loving both, no wonder you can't say no :lol: and if you did I'd have that quartz :Up_to_something: :D

I think it's fab how great your stone has turned out and for the price as well (I wish I'd gone that route!) It looks quite a bit darker than pre-cut pics though or is that because it's next to the quartz?

Can't wait to see both and I love all the detailing and sparkle on the design you're basing your ring on, eek so exciting!!! :D

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, those stones are GORGEOUS !!!!!

Isn't it cool what can become of these rough ????
I am constantly amazed, I think that's why I take so many pictures
and rarely get things set....
Just endlessly fascinating :))

You are so very creative too, and I LOVE that setting idea !!!!
WOW :love: :love: :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jerry is correct that quartz will not look very pretty/dispersive with a "simple" step cut and adding a modified brilliant faceting pattern to the pavilion adds more sparkle and interest to the gemstone. The lighter tone of the Rose the France is also a good choice. All in all, I don't think he could have done anything better than what he did. An excellent choice, plus the inspiration setting you've selected is gorgeous!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
How lovely! What a great delicate colour in a bold shape :) Can't wait to see it moving on to its next stage :love:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! He did a great recut job on the spinel. I love your inspiration piece too.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty! This has been a really interesting process to watch (you buying a larger non ideal Spinel on EBAY, having it recut).

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for having a look :)
I'm beaming with joy over here and of course dying to have my stone in hand!
(I think I'll name her Grace)

I'd do the ebay large stone/ recut process repeatedly if I could financially swing it.
Risk taking is part of the fun as long as you know you can return something if it is wayyy off.

The spinel is darker than the original vendor pics but I like that. You know how some stones just play
differently to various lighting settings- it's like a constant show of color. My mom thinks I'm nuts but
this stone spans lavender, rose, pink and even a bit of light mocha. It's super moody and I'm loving that.
And that was before the cut, so who knows what cool changes there will be now.

It's definitely a safer option to go with a proven vendor and spend higher dollars for an already great cut.
I'm not saying I'll never do that, but I've spent less than $300.00 on the stone from ebay to the finished cut.
THAT is thrilling because I've seen what 3.5 carat precision cut stones go for and from my perspective I see all
those babies out there that COULD be amazing if given the right kind of love. (Yes I'm an adoption center only
animal person and feral cat rescue chick- so maybe that's it?) lol

Oh! anyone interested in the Quartz- He's got a fair amount of rough left and I'm sure he'd be happy to
recreate his new masterpiece for you as well! [email protected] if you want to drop Jerry a line.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and hand holding through this. I'm sure I have a bazillion more questions
and of course getting this beauty set! Still a ways from that. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results