shape
carat
color
clarity

My Silver Pink/Peach Transitional European Cut Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Got your attention with that one? LOL. Actually, the official colour she gave it was: "Light silver with light pink/peach tone (O/P)". It was kind of funny. She had told me when I explained the stone to her over the phone and in e-mails that the colour I described sounded very unlikely and when she saw it she said "Well now - that is some silver pink peachy stone, isn''t it? It DOES seem to look different under different lights". She weighed it, measured it, looked at it under the microscope. She let ME look at it under the microscope (SO cool!). The colour she left for last because she just could NOT pin it down and she kept taking it to the window, putting it back on her desk etc.

So here were the official findings.
Weight: 1.08 carats (good thing THAT''S never changed! lol) Cut: transitional European brilliant cut (that explains the not quite OEC, not quite modern look to it. I had guessed that actually after I showed someone and she said it looked only like it was HALF OEC. I figured that meant that perhaps it was transitional). Clarity: SI-1. The "chip" on the girdle actually turned out to be a natural inclusion (or whatever they are called when they are on the outside). She showed it to me under the scope and in a book. It looked very..... cystalline? She said if it was from a blow, the edges would not be so uniform and parallel but would be random, like jagged glass. So there was no problem with that as far as she was concerned with it fracturing or whatever. There was another teensy little "chip" I had noticed on the girdle that turned out, again, to be natural - a trigon (really neat little triangle!). She showed me that in a book too. What looked like an extra facet near the culet was a natural crystal or something like that (sorry, can''t remember) What else? She didn''t really say anything about the internal clarity and I forgot to ask (oops). There is also a crystal (I think?) evident on one side where it is flat and that was natural (I had wondered if maybe it was flat on that one side because a chip had been polished out at one time, it hadn''t). She said the proportions were great for an old stone! Table 54%, Depth 59.7%. Didn''t give the angles. Oh, the diameter is 6.27x6.62x3.86 (the 6.27 is the flat-ish part I guess) Finish & symmetry very good (I found that odd since the culet is off a bit and it is not eye symmetrical) Girdle is ground, medium/thin to thick. She noted the two natural inclusions plus the trigon. Culet, medium, eight sided.

Now, the colour! Like I said, she picked it up.... she put it down. She took it to the window..... she brought it back. She pushed it around. She sat and thought. She looked at it beside her master stones. Finally when she was ready she was torn between calling it silver and pink but she finally went with silver. I had said my one concern with the colour was with the replacement value. I understand that 99% of most low colour grade stones would be YELLOW, not grey (or silver as she called it), so to just say N or P or whatever she decided, would not take into account the specialness of the stone (if anything ever happened to it, how on earth could we ever replace it - I could easily find an antique OEC in an O-P colour grade, but THIS colour? NEVER). I had thought she might call it light pink but I guess not...... but.... Silver? I didn''t think silver was an actual colour according to GIA (she''s GIA accredited). Experts care to comment on that one?

Anyways..... I LOVE it. I never in a million years thought I could ever find a stone THIS special. Can''t WAIT to get it set. Attached are pics taken in a cloudy day..... colour isn''t showing too much and the stone is kinda oily from my fingers - sorry! Enjoy for now!

- Jodie -

GetAttachment-1.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-2.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-3.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-4.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-5.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-6.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-7.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-8.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-9.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-10.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-11.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-12.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
You can see the "nick" at 10:00 on this one.... she said she was sure it was a natural and not to worry about it..... BIG prongs......

GetAttachment-13.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Funny I said it didn't throw out a lot of blue or green fire - here's both!

GetAttachment-16.jpeg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, wow, WOW!!! That is a truly unique treasure! I wish I could see it in person, I bet it''s even more wonderful!

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

GetAttachment-17.jpeg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
How I HOPE the finished ring will look! Taking it to a jeweller tomorrow. I hope he can work on it. I love the setting so much, would HATE to return it......

GetAttachment-18.jpeg

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Yum!!! I love it!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s just gorgeous! The color does look very special! Is that the setting you''re putting it in?

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - how interesting - silver light pink peach!! And, very beautiful...unique...special!! I can not wait to see how you set it!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
How beautiful!! These old stones have so much individual personality. You''re right, you''d never be able to replace this stone. I can''t wait to see the finished ring.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 10:27:50 PM
Author: thing2of2
It's just gorgeous! The color does look very special! Is that the setting you're putting it in?

Thanks Glitter, Burk and Thing2! It's the setting I'm HOPING to put it in (it DID have a cushion in it so the head needs to be changed). It's SO delicate the first jeweller who saw it said she wouldn't touch it for fear of it falling apart under her welding torch (something I hadn't considered) The diamonds are in sort of...... bands that are "tacked-on" in spots to the ring itself. I guess it's possible that when they try to solder the new head on, it could all just come apart (but that's what I thought soft solder was for!) The guy I'm seeing tomorrow is supposed to be good so we'll see.

- Jodie -

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
That stone is breathtaking and so so so interesting! I loved reading all of the details about it! Thanks so much for taking the time to post those.

I love the first shots you posted with the stone turned on it''s table. You can really see the pink body color in those! Its such a delicate shade. Blush pink, perhaps.

Enjoy your new beauty!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!
It will look beautiful in that setting...hopefully your jeweler can make it work!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Really gorgeous! I love the colors of the stone:)

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!!
30.gif
Yum!!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
What a truly lovely and unique stone! I can''t wait to see pictures of the finished setting.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hello gorgeous! Excuse me while I go pick up my jaw from the floor
3.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH WOW. That is just stunning!!!!! I can''t wait to see the finished product!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a beauty! I''m positively swooning over here. I can''t wait to see her set!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results