Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

my shortlist - please help me decide on one of this two

vitaminwater

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
12
OK! so after much deliberation and help from tyty333 and flyingpig (thank you so much!), I have come down to this two diamonds as my shortlist *wipes tears*:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-768573 ($5,530)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-843996 ($5,740)

i know, i know, there is a feather on the F but it's a F, great stats and within my budget too :naughty:

i spoke to the JA 24/7 chat and the lady said that in terms of cut and light/brilliance/sparkle, the F diamond would outperform the G. again, there are no IS/ASET images for these two as the diamonds are not in USA.

just wanted to know what fellow PS-ers think. i'm so close to the final stage now and am so excited :clap: :clap:
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,612
Those reps are so full of it. That is ridiculous. If they don't have some kind of light return testing, they cannot say that one of those diamonds is better than the other!

I prefer the G. I like the 75 lower girdle facets which you can see in the nice wide arrows. I also like VS1 clarity. In fact, G VS1 is my personal favorite color/clarity combination. But I love everything about the cut on this stone. The F is good, too, but I like the G the best.
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,171
I like the G as well. I don't know if it is due to photography, but the overall appearance is cleaner with well-defined fatter arrows. I also like the proportions of G VS1 better. It is a stone you can be mind-clean as well, which satisfies one of your requirements.
 

vitaminwater

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
12
Hi both,

I'm so happy (and relieved) to update that I have placed the order on the G diamond together with the ring with JA and that I made the decision to post on PS. My SO will have the wire done tomorrow. Many thanks for your inputs and help. I really appreciate it. After looking at so many diamonds, reading articles and forums, discovering new specifications I wasn't aware of, revising my 4Cs, staring at diamonds rotating, etc. It was really fun but also exhausting. I feel like I have made the right choice here and look forward to seeing the ring in real life! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm guessing the next step when it arrives is to admire it and send it to an appraiser (to match the inscription to the report?). Please let me know if I missed out any other step.

Thank you again!! :))))))))))))

edited to mention which diamond I chose
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,660
vitaminwater|1453275643|3978434 said:
Hi both,

I'm so happy (and relieved) to update that I have placed the order on the G diamond together with the ring with JA and that I made the decision to post on PS. My SO will have the wire done tomorrow. Many thanks for your inputs and help. I really appreciate it. After looking at so many diamonds, reading articles and forums, discovering new specifications I wasn't aware of, revising my 4Cs, staring at diamonds rotating, etc. It was really fun but also exhausting. I feel like I have made the right choice here and look forward to seeing the ring in real life! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm guessing the next step when it arrives is to admire it and send it to an appraiser (to match the inscription to the report?). Please let me know if I missed out any other step.

Thank you again!! :))))))))))))

edited to mention which diamond I chose
Congratulations! Both stones are beautiful...I dont think you could have made a bad choice. You dont really need to take it to an
appraiser unless you are looking for more than verification of the inscription. I think any real* jeweler can do that for you. I would
hope there would not be a charge. By real* I mean not a mall jewelry store.

Please post pics when you get it mounted! Would love to see it!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,612
Yay! Great choice! :appl: I also have never sent a new diamond that is GIA or AGS graded to an appraiser. All you need is an insurance valuation on the ring to insure it. Unfortunately, the one that comes with the ring will have an inflated value, unless you can try to call them and ask them to please put the purchase price instead. If you insure for an inflated value, you just pay a higher insurance rate, but if there is a loss, they will only pay what it costs them to replace it, not what the insured amount is.

Please come back and show us pictures of your ring!
 

vitaminwater

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
12
hi there! got it. i guess it's more to ensure the inscription on the diamond matches the GIA for peace of mind that it's the same diamond. i'll search for a local jeweler (thanks for giving heads up that retail mall jewelry shop doesn't count :lol: )

will definitely take pics and post here once i receive it :love: :love: :love:
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,612
vitaminwater|1453352367|3978935 said:
hi there! got it. i guess it's more to ensure the inscription on the diamond matches the GIA for peace of mind that it's the same diamond. i'll search for a local jeweler (thanks for giving heads up that retail mall jewelry shop doesn't count :lol: )

will definitely take pics and post here once i receive it :love: :love: :love:
Let me warn you about one thing. Local jewelers are not happy with internet diamond buyers. So the downside of going to one to check the stone is that they may ask where you bought the stone (which is none of their business), but it is still awkward. Never tell them that you bought online. Just say a jewelry store in NY.

Honestly, I'd go on ebay or Amazon and buy a 30x loupe and look at the inscription myself. The ones with lights can be good, but eventually they won't work. I'd get a cheap one just to check your number and then to occasionally check the prongs and that kind of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH5N2LO?keywords=30x%20loupe&qid=1453354444&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052G7EX8?keywords=30x%20loupe&qid=1453354444&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6
 

vitaminwater

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
12
Hi there!! An update to my post. I've received my ring from JA and am in love with it!! It looks really white and sparkly.. I don't see any inclusions at all from the top which is awesome and the setting definitely exceeded my expectations. Here is a picture of my ring :love:

img_0588.png

The only other step now is that I tried to use the 30x loupe to look for the inscription to match the GIA cert but after looking at it several times, I just couldn't find the inscription :confused:

I did make a request twice to JA to ensure the inscription is not hidden in the prong. I just enquired JA about not being able to locate the inscription and the person said that I would need a stronger microscope.. i guess i'll have to go to a jeweler after all. i really don't want to have to send it back to JA so I hope it's not in the prong *fingers crossed*
 

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 24, 2015
Messages
381
vitaminwater said:
Hi there!! An update to my post. I've received my ring from JA and am in love with it!! It looks really white and sparkly.. I don't see any inclusions at all from the top which is awesome and the setting definitely exceeded my expectations. Here is a picture of my ring :love:

img_0588.png

The only other step now is that I tried to use the 30x loupe to look for the inscription to match the GIA cert but after looking at it several times, I just couldn't find the inscription :confused:

I did make a request twice to JA to ensure the inscription is not hidden in the prong. I just enquired JA about not being able to locate the inscription and the person said that I would need a stronger microscope.. i guess i'll have to go to a jeweler after all. i really don't want to have to send it back to JA so I hope it's not in the prong *fingers crossed*
I've found my self the 30x loupe to be tricky because of their narrow field of view.

However you should try looking at the inscription at an angle and not straight. With faceted girdle it's trickier and most diamonds today have faceted girdle.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,660
It is lovely vitaminwater! I have a 30X loupe and can't see inscriptions with it (I can see it but cant read it). I have "older" eyes
though. :???:
 

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,270
Beautiful ring. I see that the expert PS'rs gave you great advise! Enjoy - it looks great on your hand. :love: :love:
 

vitaminwater

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
12
thank you for all the kind comments! i definitely wanted to post the ring picture so others who have any worries about buying a diamond without seeing it can have comfort that we're on the right track here :D

i've tried looking at all different angles with my loupe and conclude that maybe because my stone is less than 1 carat so it's more difficult to see :wall: will go to a jeweler this weekend to check it out :bigsmile:
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,171
vitaminwater|1454569184|3986683 said:
Hi there!! An update to my post. I've received my ring from JA and am in love with it!! It looks really white and sparkly.. I don't see any inclusions at all from the top which is awesome and the setting definitely exceeded my expectations. Here is a picture of my ring :love:

The only other step now is that I tried to use the 30x loupe to look for the inscription to match the GIA cert but after looking at it several times, I just couldn't find the inscription :confused:
LOL :angel: :angel:

I KNEW you were going to check for those inclusions and use a loupe. It is not easy to see the inscription thru a loup. You have to position it JUST RIGHT.
I am glad to hear you are satisfied..
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top