shape
carat
color
clarity

My Shenoa & Co. experience to date

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

james655

Rough_Rock

I recently made an on-line engagement ring purchase from Shenoa & Co. and want to document my experience with them to date.

From reading posts about Shenoa & Co.’s on-line history with other people I observed that there seemed to be just a few really critical reviews of their company and they seemed to be from the same people posting on various jewellery boards. So being in business myself and knowing how easily it can be to have a couple unhappy customers I decided to take a chance and do business with them.

I first located the solitaire diamond engagement ring I liked on their eBay store. It was a 1.85 ct, G color VS2 diamond in a 6 prong 14 carat white gold setting for a buy it now price of $10,259 US… or a starting bid of $8,549.00. I wanted to know about the cut, polish and symmetry of the diamond so I emailed them requesting this information. They emailed me back stating it was an ideal cut with very good polish and very good symmetry. The email also stated, and I quote their email to me exactly…’ If you would like you can call me directly toll free at 888-743-6628 Ext. 143 and ask for BOBBY and I will help you out with making a purchase directly and do something a little better on the price. Please let me know what I can do to make you a customer.’

So, against my better judgment (as eBay warns against this practice) I called to enquire about this better price. I was told that the purchase price buying directly from them and not going through eBay would be $8,100. Of course this sounded too good to be true but the prospects of getting a VS2, G color diamond in that size and cut was just too much to pass up so I placed the order. I gave them $1000 on my visa and the balance in a bank wire transfer.

Well, I received the ring from FedEx on December 19, 2007 in the late afternoon. When I opened the box I was immediately struck by the odd green color of the stone. I was expecting a near colorless diamond, being a stated G color, and here was a stone with a very visible green hue to it and with me not being a diamond expert by any means. So immediately the red flags went up and I needed to get an expert opinion.

Now having read the on line posts of a particular customers experience and the responses to that post from Shenoa and Co., Shenoa stating that their was a conflict of interest in the appraisal the unhappy customer received from the jewellery store because they sell diamonds and they were unhappy he did not buy from them. So in light of this on line statement from Shenoa & Co I went out of my way to find an independent appraiser who does not sell jewellery or diamonds to get my opinion. His assessment of the stone was as follows: Clarity grade:SI-2, Color grade:Q, Cut grade Very good, Carat weight: 1.85 carats.

He went on to say this diamond should be selling in the retail market for $3,500-4,000 Canadian dollars and it was due mostly to the very odd green color to the stone making it almost un sellable if I every choose to upgrade the diamond in the future. Well, my heart sank… I was so hoping that the clarity and color would be at least close to what they stated. I was also hoping that I was seeing things when I first saw the greenish hue to the stone and I was willing to accept the clarity at SI-2 and keep the ring if the color assessment was even within 2-3 color grades of G…. but the color was sooooo far off that I just could not rationalize keeping the ring, so I immediately FedEx’s it back to them tonight December 20, 2007.

Their return policy states that the ring must be in its original condition/packaging and returned within 5 calendar days of FedEx’s first attempt at delivery… Their first attempt was on Dec 19, 2007 and I am told by FedEx that it will be delivered on Saturday Dec 22, 2007… which by my reckoning falls within their return policy requirements. So, the ring has been returned exactly the same way I received it and in the time frame they request.

I will keep everyone posted about my refund and weather they honor their 100% satisfaction guarantee or not.

Until then, james655

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James, I really appreciate the time that you spent doing this the right way and then giving us a full and unbiased report. I feel like I can assess for ME, that this company is deceitful and makes money off the people who are not as diligent as you were to get an independent appraisal. The problem with jewelers like that is that no one is going to be able to vastly underprice a diamond. It just doesn''t happen unless you buy from an individual who is willing to take a loss, or else buy an antique stone, or something like that. The minute you told me the color, clarity, size, and price, the red flags went up. So I am thankful that you were a wise consumer and had this stone checked out.

Now I would recommend Pricescope vendors to you as high quality and fairly priced sources of diamonds. We bought a ring diamond from Good Old Gold and earring stones from WhiteFlash and were 100% pleased with both. And I had looked at diamonds locally first, so I knew I was getting better cut quality for a lower price.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
I cant believe you read the reviews on them and bought anyway (with wire transfer) when there are so many very reputable sources which high accolades. I hope you get all your money back in a timely fashion. How those people stay in business is completely beyond me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just another thought, I would call Bobby and very nicely tell him the ring is on it''s way back. Tell him the ring was not exactly what you wanted. Tell him you want to look around a little more. Don''t say anything too negative to him because you want them to give you your money back. Let them think you still might be a customer, except that you want the money back in your account immediately because you might need a little more time to look since the holidays will be so busy.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
James: I''m so sorry this happened to you. How people can blatantly lie like that and make a living ripping people off is beyond me.

I hope hope hope hope that you get every cent of your money back. Like diamondseeker said, be super nice to Bobby but once you get your money back I would report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Best of luck, I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry this happened to you. I too have tried vendors that had some bad reviews hoping to give them a second chance, also being in business myself, and got screwed.

If you get your money refunded, try goodoldgold.com. I had a great experience with them and you can see what you are getting before you buy it. Regardless of who you end up buying from, always ask to see the grading report for whatever diamond you are considering.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an outstanding example of, If it sounds to good to be true....

That''s not just an old saying folks. James, I hope everything works out well for you. I''m going to include a link that contains a recent post from Shenoa stating how they want to make things right with the customer. Let''s hope they mean it. It contains an email addy you might find helpful.

Then I''m going to bump that thread and put this threads link in it, in case they have subscribed to it, so they are aware, that we all are aware, that there''s a problem here. Good luck.

Shenoa thread.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Q???
23.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
oh no, that''s awful, James. How can they think they would get away with sending you that diamond? Did they think you''d be so stupid that you''d accept a green diamond? Ick. Best of luck in getting your money back.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 8:54:40 AM
Author: avlis
I cant believe you read the reviews on them and bought anyway (with wire transfer) when there are so many very reputable sources which high accolades. I hope you get all your money back in a timely fashion. How those people stay in business is completely beyond me.
Ditto. Good luck!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 11:08:35 AM
Author: Kaleigh

Ditto. Good luck!!
Thritto! Best of luck. I too recommend GOG, WF, and would add Pearlmans and Wink Jones to the list as well as Engagement Rings direct and James Allen.

BABYPUFFIN

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear about your experience OP. I was wondering about the return policy. According to their website they say they have a 30 day return policy. Here''s the passage from their site. Good luck I hope you find the perfect diamond.

"
If the Purchaser is unsatisfied for any reason, Purchaser may return the item for a full refund within 30 calendar days after receiving the item, determined by the first delivery attempt. All jewelry boxes, and any free gifts must be returned with the item for a full refund. The standard size of Shenoa & Co. rings is 6.5 . Rings sized size 4 3/4 or smaller, or size 7 3/4 or larger may have to be custom made, and thus would be considered special order. The return period starts on the first day of attempted delivery of the item to the delivery address. Any jewelry that has been sized, set, unset or otherwise modified once they have been received is non-returnable. All items must be returned in their original condition. The refund will be in the same form as the purchase was made. Refunds shall be issued after verification of the merchandise, which may take up to 5 business days. Shipping charges are not refundable. Certification and labor costs are also non-refundable. The Purchaser will consider that a Special Order item is non-returnable once ordered or sold. Special Order items are items that are not normally kept in stock, and must be Special Ordered or Custom Made; Such items will be stated as Special Order, and the customer will be informed beforehand. The Special Order item is non-returnable, regardless of return policy stated above. This return policy only applies to the current Shenoa & Co. Online Division purchase. No refunds on layaway payments, unless cancelled within thirty (30) days of inception. After more than 30 days of inactivity, layaway accounts may be re-evaluated, and at the sole discretion of Shenoa & Co. may be converted to an equal store credit."

IMO your purchase definitely falls under their own guidelines.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2007 10:40:47 AM
Author: Ninama
Q???
23.gif
My thoughts exactly...!!!!!!!

BABYPUFFIN

Rough_Rock
I''ve seen some OMC and OEC stones that had a Q-R color.

DBL color chart

VERY WARM whiteish/yellow.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
James, my experience with Shenoa is that you''ll get your money back. All of it. I made the same mistake, buying from them that is, years ago when I was first married and didn''t have much cash. It was suppose to be a 1.5 I color, clarity si2. When it came I could immediately see a feather inclusion right in the middle and it had an odd brown color. In retrospect, it was probably M,N and I1. I didn''t get it appraised, I didn''t need to, it was clearly not as advertised. They took it back no problem. But I learned my lesson, they overgrade. No one is going to sell you a diamond for way less than the industry sheets say it''s worth. If you go through their feedback, many people will give positive feedback for them, because they are satisfied with the PRICE, but they do say the diamond was overgraded and clearly not as advertised. THere are a lot of people out there more than happy to pay less for a diamond that is graded so low that a jewelry store would not even sell it. That is FINE if you are happy with it and you paid what you think is FAIR. It is not ok for them to falsely advertise, but if as long as people are happy with the deal they got, Shenoa is going to sell. I will never buy from them again because I know I will NEVER get what they advertise. There are some pretty diamonds on ebay though, you have to call and ask the right questions and tell these people how you''ve been burned. If they are honest, they will tell you right off the bat that they are not the company for you if you are looking for a certain quality. Good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is exactly what I was thinking...we see so many negative comments on here about them...PS is easily searchable via Google as well. Especially spending something like thousands of dollars...I'd be so paranoid if I was buying online for the first time without a whole lot of knowledge backing my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results