shape
carat
color
clarity

My search for the perfect oval...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baseten

Rough_Rock
Hello RockyTalky Folks!

Long time reader, first-time poster here. I've been looking far and wide for the perfect oval for an engagement ring for my girl. I've hit just about every store in my area and beyond, and I've become intimately familiar with a wide range of crappy looking overpriced stones. :) I built a nice spreadsheet of the diamonds i found various places, including some i found through pricescope here, and comparing the best ones, I found one locally I am seriously considering, and would like some opinions from the experts here.

Specs:

1.26ct, F, VS2
Depth: 61.6
Table: 59
Crown: 12.3
Pavil: 44.7
Girdle: vthin to med - fctd
flr: none
culet: none
pol/sym: g/g
l/w ratio: 1.39:1

Dimensions:
8.48 x 6.10x 3.76

EGL-USA cert, 10/00

I'm not sure how useful the holloway cut adviser is for ovals, but i punched in the details and it puts it just a smidgen to the northwest of gia excellent. To my eye, it was very bright when i compared it to a gia ideal round of the same carat size, similar color. Fire and brilliance were a little less than some other stones i saw, which also seems to be reflected in the holloway report.

As far as the jeweler, it's a locally owned place, not small, excellent selection of mountings, and the only place i encountered so far with the rappaport sitting on the counter. he referred directly to it when calculating my price. He gave me a hard time about my little diamond spreadsheet, (in jest of course) and acted shocked when i told him i'm in sales, as he had me 100% pegged for an engineer. His schtick was pretty much summed up as "i'm cratchety and i don't care if you buy from me. If you do, you're gonna get a good deal" This was a nice change from some of the smarmier guys i dealt with.

Price offered after some calculator magic was $6000.00
Listed on the envelope as rapp $7700.00

Here are my main reservations for this stone. tell me if i'm too paranoid on any of these points:

1. EGL-USA cert.
the stone looks dead-on for the color and clarity to me, but the date is 10/2000 on the cert, which i wanted to question here, as i had read EGL was softer on older certs. any opinions here?

2. Very-thin to medium faceted girdle
i think i'm ok with the vthin girdle,, as our basket type settings we are considering should protect it pretty well. it looks thin in the loupe, but not knife-edge thin.

3. Cut - looks good, no bowtie. well...maybe ever so slightly but very acceptable to my eye. Cut parameters fall within the 2A range from the chart i found here http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp - the only spec a bit outside is the crown height is just a wee bit lower than the 1b range.

4. I'm not perceiving as much fire and scintillation as a few others i've seen, but it may have been due to different lighting conditions. This store had standard flourescent tube lights, so i felt what i was seeing was very honest next to the window on an overcast day and from different angles. We weren't being bombarded with small pointed bright-ass halogens that might have exaggerated the fire in some other stores we visited. We also put this oval next to a gia ideal round of same carat and color, and though the round felt a bit more contrasty, the oval more than held its own. looked bigger too, as they tend to :)

So all that being said, I am being very critical here, but this is also the best stone i've looked at locally. It really does look good on her hand and under the loupe (no scope at the counter though)

The only other local candidate I considered was an 1.33ct F / SI1 stone that i didn't get all the specs on but it felt very fiery deep and colorful. It looked great, but I ruled it out because of a big fleck of pepper right dead center of the table! It was eye-clean at first, but after seeing that fleck in the loupe i couldn't un-see it and reflected all over the place in the pavillion! like i just zoned in on it and couldn't see anything else. arrgh! it was a little overpriced anyway.

As far as the mounting, she decided on a shared prong mounting with 6 12pt diamonds split either side of a basket style mount, and we're setting the oval east-west across the ring instead of the traditional north-south orientation down her finger. She's very set on this east-west thing from the start, and it's been a pain finding the right mount to do it.

Wow, that was a novel! If you bothered to read this far I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions on our findings so far!

Brandon

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA is just for rounds.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like you have it under control, have you used the PS search engine to compare prices? without images we cant add anything to what you already know.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 11:16:34 PM
Author: strmrdr
sounds like you have it under control, have you used the PS search engine to compare prices? without images we cant add anything to what you already know.
Ditto!

baseten

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I have used the search engine. very helpful in figuring out what range i wanted to shoot for. Based on the same attributes as my local stone, I am finding diamonds with price per carat within a few hundred dollars (some more, some less) none of them list the pavillion or crown heights, so i''m at a bit of a disadvantage unless i get on the phone and start calling. (monday maybe... my time during the week is very limited)

Kind of hard to judge the cut online :) - some are listed online as better cut in the same price range though. i could just max out my line of credit and order a bunch of them in and get a side-by-side comparison i guess :)

Brandon

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Does your jeweler offer an upgrade policy?
You may think you are "done" but years later you might want to change things out a bit....or not.

Ovals do look larger! Gotta love that!

If I were buying it online, I''d want pictures even before shipping for a personal view.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 10:26:44 AM
Author: baseten
Thanks for the replies! I have used the search engine. very helpful in figuring out what range i wanted to shoot for. Based on the same attributes as my local stone, I am finding diamonds with price per carat within a few hundred dollars (some more, some less) none of them list the pavillion or crown heights, so i''m at a bit of a disadvantage unless i get on the phone and start calling. (monday maybe... my time during the week is very limited)

Kind of hard to judge the cut online :) - some are listed online as better cut in the same price range though. i could just max out my line of credit and order a bunch of them in and get a side-by-side comparison i guess :)

Brandon
If you mean some are described as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc, this is really meaningless and does not guarantee you a well cut diamond. The only way to judge the cut of an oval if buying online is to work with a vendor who can supply ASET images and detailed photos of the diamond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can really comment on is the mounting and I love the EW idea. I cant wait to see it (when you decided you found the right stone) when
its all done!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results