shape
carat
color
clarity

My Robbins Bros experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sheila7878

Rough_Rock
I too went to the torrance robbins bros location and had a bad experience. My engagement ring is 18K white gold and wanted to clean it. The salesman who helped me looked at my ring and said that there is a "crack" in the band and if I wanted to fix it, it would cost $115. I found that to be really expensive and wanted a second opinion. I went to another reputable jewelry store and they indicated to me that there was no crack in my band and I found out that robbins bros were giving me false information as well as ripping me off. The place I went for the second opinion gave me a quote of$25-45 to repair my band if I wanted to fix it which was much cheaper than what robbins bros quoted me. In fact the 2nd place looked at my ring and told me that there was no crack and my ring is in great condition and not to touch it. I do not recommend anyone to go to robbins bros for any type of purchase.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for reporting your experience.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a loupe so you can check it yourself?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to that same store in Torrance CA.
I thought it was creepy how a receptionist screens you first before handing you off.
Then I went through 3 "salesmen" before one could understand my questions. (What is the crown and pavilion angles of this stone - real complicated.)

One of their first questions for me was, "What size payment can I afford?"
20.gif

I felt like I was talking to a used car salesman.

Let's just say they don't specialize in well-cut stones for the knowledgeable buyer.
I think it is a very slick high-volume operation geared towards young couples who don't know so much.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 8:55:15 PM
Author: kenny
I went to that same store in Torrance CA.
I thought it was creepy how a receptionist screens you first before handing you off.
Then I went through 3 ''salesmen'' before one could answer my questions.
One of their first questions for me was, ''What size payment can I afford?''
20.gif

I felt like I was talking to a used car salesman.

Let''s just say they don''t specialize in well-cut stones for the knowledgeable buyer.
I think it is a very slick high-volume operation geared to young couples who don''t know so much.
I''ve been to this RB in Torrance and felt the same way....They''re like used car salesmen.

sheila7878, if you''re in the redondo beach area, go to clayden jewlers on artesia. the owner''s name is cliff and he''s definately trustworthy. although, it sounds like you did the right thing by leaving RB and found an honest jeweler.

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Kenny and Marvel,

They were used car salesman, with an upgrade. God, I hate robbins bros. Some people say they had a god experience there, but I think they must be shills. Seriously, I haven''t met one person with any diamond knowledge who was happy with their service or stones. Ignorance is bliss. I won''t say you can''t get good service or a good stone there, I just haven''t seen it. Shills where are you?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Kenny & Marvel- I also had the same experience at Robbins Bros in Torrance. I also found that they didn't seem to be that "big" or rather, have a large inventory. Two of the sales people were very "creepy".

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ewwwwww, thanks for sharing your not so pretty experience.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i''m confused... was there a crack or not? you said the second "reputable" dealer said there was no crack, but then they offered to charge you to "fix" it.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
How could the second place give you a quote to fix your ring if there was nothing wrong with it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go as far as to say I DETEST Robbins Brothers Torrance. They absolutely rip people off (someone''s gotta pay for all those weasley sales people and "free refreshments". I''ve had a sales guy that was downright rude and condescending. I''ve heard some of the things they say to young couples and I just want to scream "RUN!" Their settings are marked up way too high and they say it takes 8 weeks to order something in my size. I went to another jeweler and it took 3 weeks.

The one nice thing about RB is that they *say* they''ll polish anyone''s ring for free because that''s the kind of service they give. I kind of find that funny because that is part of their schtick when you buy a ring from them...that they will polish and clean it for you for life. Well, if they do it for everyone else, I guess it''s not that special. I did go in one time to get my ring cleaned/polished and one snotty girl said, "well, did you buy it from here?" I said no, but that I was told they polish anyone''s ring for free. The manager there overheard and to his credit was very nice and said they''d be happy to polish it for me so it would look nice for my wedding. Normally I would feel bad for asking for services when I did not purchase the ring from them, but I gave them a fair shot to earn my business...both for the diamond and for the wedding band. They floundered miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results