carat
color
clarity

My ring is ready!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wbarnwell|1363670035|3408425 said:
You know, I wouldn't have even ever thought about that, and to be honest, I don't think it bothers me very much. But just for the sake of conversation, what difference, other than a specific aesthetic preference, would this have? I'm sure it wouldn't affect the diamonds brilliance. How noticeable would that be in real life? I know that those arrows aren't easy to see IRL anyway. How difficult would it be to have the stone rotated?

Better for 4 prongs to sit as they are.

The facets they're sitting on right now are flat and low. If you rotate the stone so they sit exactly between the arrows, they're not sitting on a flat surface anymore but the angled upper girdle facet meets, so the prongs have to balance on the sharp high corner - if they loosen even slightly the stone will want to turn to the configuration it's in now. Not a problem if you have 6 prongs since the stone is sectioned into eighths, less of a problem if you have thicker heftier prongs or handforged prongs but IDJ's are cast and so incredibly delicate, I'd recommend just leaving it alone ::)

ETA: this is obviously ignoring any girdle inscription viewing issues

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1363718979|3408807 said:
You know, I wouldn't have even ever thought about that, and to be honest, I don't think it bothers me very much. But just for the sake of conversation, what difference, other than a specific aesthetic preference, would this have? I'm sure it wouldn't affect the diamonds brilliance. How noticeable would that be in real life? I know that those arrows aren't easy to see IRL anyway. How difficult would it be to have the stone rotated?

The facets they're sitting on right now are flat and low. If you rotate the stone so they sit exactly between the arrows, they're not sitting on a flat surface anymore but the angled upper girdle facet meets, so the prongs have to balance on the sharp high corner - if they loosen even slightly the stone will want to turn to the configuration it's in now. Not a problem if you have 6 prongs since the stone is sectioned into eighths, less of a problem if you have thicker heftier prongs or handforged prongs but IDJ's are cast and so incredibly delicate, I'd recommend just leaving it alone ::)

Thank you Yssie, and that helps reaffirm my decision to leave it as it is, not to mention that I like it that way. I do love the differing opinions that this forum offers, but in the end this is what I want. Oh, and just so you know, your 3-stone is almost entirely responsible for me wanting to get my girlfriend one, so in a roundabout way, thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wbarnwell|1363720156|3408827 said:

Thank you Yssie, and that helps reaffirm my decision to leave it as it is, not to mention that I like it that way. I do love the differing opinions that this forum offers, but in the end this is what I want. Oh, and just so you know, your 3-stone is almost entirely responsible for me wanting to get my girlfriend one, so in a roundabout way, thanks!

I'm flattered! IDJ did a lovely job with this one - it looks clean and simple from the top just like you wanted.
Can we get some profile pics?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
A spectacular ring......and the video just makes it to real good luck with the proposal you did good

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a good three stone ring! :love:

Good luck with the proposal, she will be floored when she sees this beauty!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous ring!! I love the claw prongs (oooooh BOY, do I love claw prongs!!!! :love: ) and the 3 stone is just perfect - what a fantastic engagement ring! Lucky lady!

Good luck waiting for so long to propose, but I get what you are saying - be patient, let all the women get a bit more familiar with each other --- you are a clever man, VERY clever!!! :wink2: :bigsmile:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love this ring!! And I'm so glad you're leaving the diamond positioned as it is. I think it's stunning.

Ellsbebc

Rough_Rock
Specs on the stones? I'm torn between a three stone with either pear or round sides. Your pictures are quite persuading :naughty:

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
Ellsbebc|1363728025|3408961 said:
Specs on the stones? I'm torn between a three stone with either pear or round sides. Your pictures are quite persuading :naughty:

Sure! They are .37,.84,.38 all VS2 G, GIA XXX on cut, polish and symmetry. Initially I thought that I might want slightly smaller sidestones, but I am so glad that I did not make that decision because a)I like it as it is, and b)if we ever wanted to upgrade the center stone, I wouldn't have to change the sides. I was looking for a solitaire for a good while until I was persuaded by some other members' three stone rings. Good luck, I honestly don't think I could have gone wrong with either one, but in my opinion, the three stone is just so much more bang and bling for your buck. I mean, the dimensions on the .90 solitaire that I was looking at were 6.15 x 6.19, and the center stone on this ring is a .85, but its 6.13 x 6.15 PLUS I got the wonderful side stones, and I honestly didn't pay that much more!

edit: Oh, and the shank is 1.9 mm. Originally it was going to taper from 2.5 to 1.9, but now the whole shank is 1.9, which I am very happy about, as well as its low profile. Those were two things that I know my girlfriend preferred.

Yssie said:
I'm flattered! IDJ did a lovely job with this one - it looks clean and simple from the top just like you wanted.

Yes. I won't have the ring until Wednesday of next week, so I'll snap some more pictures then.

Ellsbebc

Rough_Rock
wbarnwell|1363729995|3408987 said:

Sure! They are .37,.84,.38 all VS2 G, GIA XXX on cut, polish and symmetry. Initially I thought that I might want slightly smaller sidestones, but I am so glad that I did not make that decision because a)I like it as it is, and b)if we ever wanted to upgrade the center stone, I wouldn't have to change the sides. I was looking for a solitaire for a good while until I was persuaded by some other members' three stone rings. Good luck, I honestly don't think I could have gone wrong with either one, but in my opinion, the three stone is just so much more bang and bling for your buck. I mean, the dimensions on the .90 solitaire that I was looking at were 6.15 x 6.19, and the center stone on this ring is a .85, but its 6.13 x 6.15 PLUS I got the wonderful side stones, and I honestly didn't pay that much more!

edit: Oh, and the shank is 1.9 mm. Originally it was going to taper from 2.5 to 1.9, but now the whole shank is 1.9, which I am very happy about, as well as its low profile. Those were two things that I know my girlfriend preferred.

Yssie said:

Yes. I won't have the ring until Wednesday of next week, so I'll snap some more pictures then.

Thanks for the details. Valid point about picking larger sides now since you have an upgrade in mind for the future. What's your dream sized center? .3-.35ct sides should pair well with a 1.2-1.5ct center.

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
Ellsbebc|1363733020|3409020 said:
wbarnwell|1363729995|3408987 said:

Yssie said:

Thanks for the details. Valid point about picking larger sides now since you have an upgrade in mind for the future. What's your dream sized center? .3-.35ct sides should pair well with a 1.2-1.5ct center.

My dream size? Oh, I don't know. Honestly, that would all be up to my future fiancee/wife. I can't see her wanting to go too big though.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that is gorgeous!! :love: The proportions look great, the stones are stunning, and those claw prongs! :cheeky: :love:

Can't wait to see hand shots!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! That is a lot of bling...lucky you!

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
What a stunning beauty :love: ! I absolutely love the narrow shank and the low profile.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results