shape
carat
color
clarity

My red spinel transformation

S

SparkliesLuver

Hello, everyone! :wavey:

It's long been my dream to own a red-red stone. In one of my many searches I came across a vendor who had this Burmese beauty. It's not precision cut and it does have eye-visible inclusions (when you look for them), but the color stopped me in my tracks. As soon as I opened the box, I knew it wasn't going back.

I wanted something super special to do the stone justice, so I gave it a lot of thought and did a ton of searching. After finding one inspiration photo that I loved (and kept coming back to), I contacted Elle (http://thegemstoneproject.com) and asked for help. I wanted to make it my own, and she did an amazing job.

One thing I'd appreciate feedback on is the addition of brads/beads (the tiny graduated circles on the four corners). I've never had them on a ring and it's the only aspect I'm kind of on the fence about. That said, if you see something else that seems off or have a strong opinion about something, please speak up. :)

Main stone:
7.43 x 5.99 x 4.83mm

Shank: 2mm

Accent stones (all diamonds):
2mm x 4
1.4mm x 6
1mm x 6
.8mm x 4

Metal: platinum

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I hope to receive CADs this week. Thank you!

outside_1.jpg

_36083.jpg

_36084.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nothing helpful to add other than that I ADORE that sketch and think it is going to look amazing. I'm always in awe of Elle's work--it is so detailed and elegant. Also that color of red is a showstopper for sure :love:

I think you are going to have another once in a lifetime piece to add to your collection, and I can't wait to follow the journey :wavey:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Are you talking about the 4 circles in the tulip shaped area? Is the largest circle representing a diamond? I am not an expert, but it looks like they are meant to be milgraine. I think when the ring is finished you won't even notice them. But without them I think that area would just be metal, boring metal.

That said, I think the design is beautiful and your spinel is simply luscious! :love:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is beautifuL! I don't see anything glaring out at me as being wrong, but then again, I need more than a cup of coffee most mornings too :lol: Seriously its a beautiful sketch. I could see the whole thing done in yellow gold. Oh man that would be luscious!!

Graduation circles tend to be done with softer metals right? I admit I've never seen them done in platinum...maybe I just haven't looked around enough.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another stunning ring coming up!!!
I love how you always choose the best setting for a particular stone. You are acquiring a beautiful collection.

Based on the sketch I would not change a thing. I love the appearance of the beads. You will probably know for sure when you see the CAD as it will give you a different perspective.

S

SparkliesLuver

That's alright, lovedogs. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. I'm lucky to not go through this alone! :D Yes, Elle does amazing work and this is no exception. Glad you love the red too! Aw, thank you. That means a lot. I'll be sure to post more when I have updates.

PattyCo, see the picture below, please. I hope that helps show you what I was talking about. Yes, the largest circle represents a diamond. You're correct in that they'll hardly be noticeable. I appreciate your feedback of otherwise it'd just be kinda boring, plain metal. Good to know! I wondered. Thank you so much for your kind words about my spinel!

haha I know what you mean, Arcadian. ;-) I debated yellow gold but decided against it as I want the only true "color" to be the main stone. I'm not sure the metal matters as they'll be bumpy/beads on top of the surface. I'll look into that though. Thank you!

Thank you, Acinom. That means a lot coming from you! That's great to know you wouldn't change a thing. Yeah, I'm anxious to see the CADs, but I'm also relying on Elle's opinion and all of yours. :)

_36085.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It's hard for me to see which parts are diamonds or decorative metal. Overall, I like the design, and your stone is beautiful.

S

SparkliesLuver

I can understand that, preg. All the circles are diamonds (except the brads/beads) and the rest is metal. I wanted a lot of negative space too, so that's also what you may be having a hard time with. I'll be sure to post the CADs and hopefully that'll help you see it more clearly. Thank you. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok had that 2nd cup!
Only thing I noticed is that on the left and right side, you have a bar on either side of the diamond, but I don't notice that on the up and down diamonds. Is that deliberate of just a matter of the hand drawing being what it is? I'm sure that can be worked out in the CADs.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming back to drool some more and I noticed something. In the bottom-up view the edges seem to be rather smooth. Seen from the top, the wings seems to come loose from the edges. Which looks great but they might catch on things. Could be something to discuss with Elle.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Your spinel is gorgeous and I really like the setting design!

S

SparkliesLuver

Good eyes, Arcadian and Acinom. Thank you for pointing out these things. Arcadian, I think it was intentional, but still a good point. And I see what you mean, Acinom. I think I've been in love with this design for so long that it's been difficult to take a step back. I'll be sure to discuss these things with Elle and David.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you very much, picante! :D I'm truly excited about it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is truly lovely and will be gorgeous. I am likely the only one that feels this way, but I'm wondering if the design can be made slightly smaller? It just seems that the proportion of the setting is a bit too large for the size of the stone and might overpower it a bit. Like I said, that might just be me as I don't tend to like terribly ornate settings (though I do generally love Elle's designs).

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I thought those were what you were talking about. Another idea, not sure if it possible, but I wonder if a "knife edge" could be done instead of the beads/brads. That way the metal would have some "life" to it without the beads/brads. Will the metal have a soft curve to it, like a petal or leaf would naturally have?

Believe me so many descriptive words went though my mind when I seen your spinel. Anything red has been making my heart skip a beat lately.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love through watching your projects evolve as your setting designs and choice of stones are right up my alley. They are like my dream combinations. You hit it out of the park with your paraiba ring...I see another homerun coming :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for speaking up, minou. I'm not usually into ornate settings either, but this one had me from the first time I saw it/the inspiration photo. Elle did a great job removing some of the details and making it less complicated. However, I'll admit I didn't get the feeling of the design being a bit too large. I'll keep that in mind though when I see the CADs, as that's something I definitely don't want. Thank you!

Truth be told, PattyCo, I've never been big on the knife edge, even on the shank. I don't know if I can even explain why. So I'm not sure I'd incorporate it there, but I'm glad you said something. The metal won't have a soft curve as I don't really want it to come across as flowery. I'd like the overall shape to mimic the cushion outline of the stone. There's some dimension to some of the pieces, so I'm hopeful the CAD will help everyone see it better. And thank you very much for the kind words about my spinel. :D I know how you feel!

Thank you so, so much, lilmosun. Really. That's incredibly sweet of you to say. I didn't want a conventional halo for this ring, so I knew I'd be stepping outside of the box. I'm crossing my fingers it turns out like my paraiba, because I was shocked when I saw it in person!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I love the color of your spinel, looks to be a perfect red! I've been very impressed by the designs coming from Elle & DK, really beautiful fresh designs. Your paraiba & NKOTB's pear tourmaline are two of my favorites. Very interested to follow this thread :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, woofmama! I wasn't sure I'd ever find a red-red. I wish I could capture the stone more accurately. Elle is pretty darn amazing, and DK does wonderful work - they're a great team. I know what you mean about NKOTB's pear. ;-) Thanks for following along!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SL, for taking my comments in the good spirit in which they were intended. It will be a gorgeous ring for sure. :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Always, minou. :) Thank you!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I can't read sketches and I have very little design ability so I just want to say I am looking forward to seeing the progression photos. :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for stopping by, Lovinggems! I'm glad you're excited about the progression shots. Learning to read sketches and CADs is a skill, that's for sure. I'm definitely not the best, but I enjoy learning. :)

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a fan of the knife edge either. There are so many other pretty things that can be done with metal. Add me to the list of admirers who are so excited for you and this wonderful ring.

S

SparkliesLuver

Aw, thank you, PattyCo! :) (I did receive the first round of CADs last night. I had a lot of questions and comments, but want to first discuss them with Elle and David.)

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1453389106|3979069 said:
Aw, thank you, PattyCo! :) (I did receive the first round of CADs last night. I had a lot of questions and comments, but want to first discuss them with Elle and David.)

:appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you'll be ready to post the CADs here soon.

1. The ring is HUGE. You have the finger real estate to pull it off?
2. The ring is BUSY. Are you all right that the spinel might not stand out as much?
3. There is a lot of negative space. Are you all right with all that skin peeking through?

S

SparkliesLuver

I hope so too, Chrono.

1. The diameter of a ring size 9.5 is 19.35mm wide, so there's plenty of room. To make it hang over my finger it would have to be over 23mm and it's not.
2. It is busy, but I personally don't feel it's too much. The red stone is the only "color," so I'm hoping that'll help it stand out.
3. Yes, I am. I love that this isn't a "flat" ring, so I'm okay with the different dimensions. Also, I'm working on moving a couple things around so that space might be minimized.

S

SparkliesLuver

The wait is over! :dance: The ring is finished and I cannot wait to see it in person. :D :clap:

spin804.jpg

20160310_042329.jpg

spin901.jpg

spin900.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

A few more...

spin800.jpg

spin904.jpg

spin802.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results