shape
carat
color
clarity

My prongs bother me. How to improve them?

donutkim96

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I’ve never been fully satisfied with my engagement ring of close to ten years and I think it’s about time I do something about these prongs.

The shape of each prong tip looks uneven to me. Some of the angles are asymmetrical also. It stands out to me a lot and I want *perfect* prongs. I also wish the prongs were a bit bigger to give more of a *square* look. Could you advise what I can do to fix my ring?

IMG_9800.jpeg
IMG_9798.jpegIMG_9794.jpeg
IMG_9785.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a beautiful diamond! But I see what you mean with the claws in that they are a bit blobby, or bead / ball like. Are you after just refinement or are you considering a full reset?

I will have to go in and see what the jeweler will offer to do. I want the prongs to look a bit bolder, while being 99.99% even in size, look and angle. The diamond is set a bit high too; and i personally appreciate lower settings

I will have to go in and see what the jeweler will offer to do. I want the prongs to look a bit bolder, while being 99.99% even in size, look and angle. The diamond is set a bit high too; and i personally appreciate lower settings

Please let us know what you decide to do & post pictures!

Beautiful stone! Consider "Claw" prongs. They come in regular and mini. They're wider at the top and narrow to a sharp point to hold the stone. This should give you the more "square" look... and a claw prong is timeless! Good luck and remember to sho us photos when you're new setting is complete!

It sounds like you want a new setting.

What about something like the HW Logo setting from Harry Winston? Just a “for example…”

What about something like the HW Logo setting from Harry Winston? Just a “for example…”

Love it, I like how boxy that is too

I think thr key is to find a location cal metalsmith/setter who is skilled and detailed enough to do the work and redo the prongs. This would be the most economical way.

Your other option would be to send your ring to a "PS approved" vendor/jeweler who is known to do good work to make you a new setting.

If you purchase a setting and bring it to a local jeweler, you would still need to find a jeweler who works with a good skilled setter with work the prongs.

I don't know if you're solid on the idea of a prong setting, but I had a ring for literally 13 years, and I didn't like the setting. Two years ago or so, I wandered back to pricescope and discovered David Klass. I had him reset my three stone Asscher which was basket set, into a bezel set. Admittedly I'm a fan of bezels, and at least in my case the stones look much better that way.

Thread, mine's the 6th post down:

I don't know if you're solid on the idea of a prong setting, but I had a ring for literally 13 years, and I didn't like the setting. Two years ago or so, I wandered back to pricescope and discovered David Klass. I had him reset my three stone Asscher which was basket set, into a bezel set. Admittedly I'm a fan of bezels, and at least in my case the stones look much better that way.

Thread, mine's the 6th post down:

Wow, love the reset! I like the previous setting also but the new one is so original and unique. Really nice.

Hi all, I got my ring back with the claw prongs and they did a really good job this time!

IMG_0706.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 20
Looks very pretty! Glad they were able to make these prong beautiful for you!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP