shape
carat
color
clarity

My paraiba pendant

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's not too shabby a price. The setting with diamonds may be more than a few hundred. Not sure about labour costs in Jp.

Well when it comes to relatively rare stones like these and considering they once went for more at the height of hype, hard to put a 2nd hand retail price to it :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Your big paraiba is stunning! Congrats on scoring such a lovely pendant. :appl::appl::appl:

I can understand if you can't snap pictures of it to show us as often as you would a bracelet or ring, but I hope you get to wear it lots and lots. Surely you'll get compliments on it, even away from PS?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not experienced with Paraiba....but my overall impression is that you got a great jewel with a lot of bang for the buck! It shows on you really well and you can grow into it with age, meaning that I don’t think it will ever look like it’s jewelry for a younger person....it has longevity. I love finds like yours because it is truly luscious and beautiful perhaps without an inflated/hype/retail price. Win win!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning, gorgeous color!!! I've been developing a growing affection for paraibas and your pendant is not helping stem my lusting :mrgreen2:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s beautiful! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been lusting over all the gorgeous paraiba’s in this thread (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...a-or-copper-bearing-tourmaline-thread.214585/) and haven’t seen anything in person that I love so I finally took my search online and unexpected fell in love with a listing with really bad overexposed pics that looks like this:

E38D4B31-4ACC-4929-AE35-9816ABBFA9F0.jpeg

Typically I wouldn’t go for listings with this type of pics but somehow I just couldn’t stop thinking of it so I figured wth I’ll just ask the seller to send me more pics. Unexpectedly, the seller said no additional pics though he (could be she I don’t know) did say that it’s a neon paraiba with bright color. So normally at this stage most people will walk away right? But again I couldn’t stop thinking about it and kept returning to the listing.

All well and good until one day I couldn’t find the listing (auction ended) and I was devastated. Luckily after a search I found the re-listing but at that point I knew I just had to take the chance since return is possible (though I’ll take a hit on the shipment cost and import taxes). I mean, I couldn’t imagine if it was really sold and how upset I will be so heck take a leap of faith ya?

Luckily when it finally arrived (took 5 days but felt like forever) and I liked it immediately. I was still doubtful and was wondering if it’s glowy cos how am I supposed to know what a glow is right? Plus it didn’t help that I opened the package when the sun had set and my house is full of warm lighting...

6E532AAB-AB31-4662-AD2E-EEC9983D6CD6.jpeg
FB26C95D-F7E5-4F8F-AA8B-A28D43A5344C.jpeg

But I thought it is glowy and as an added bonus, the pendant actually came with an official looking certification from Central Gem Laboratory in Japan (does anyone know if this lab is reliable?) that the seller never mentioned in the posting nor when I asked for more info. Unfortunately it was in Japanese!!! So I asked for help with the translation that some of you may have seen and both @missyminx and @mockturtle was kind enough to help. And the cert says it’s a natural tourmaline, copper bearing and called Paraiba tourmaline based on original mining location (think is the standard cert wording) but did not specify origin. I’m guessing Africa but I’m fine with that.

Link to the translation thread if anyone is interested: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-ps-er-who-can-help-with-cert-in-japanese.243433/

THUD!:love:
Etherealicious. :love:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh pls do share lots of pics of your paraibas.:love:
Or is there already a thread where I can go and admire them?

I have no dedicated thread for paraibas but i have some photos at the show me thread and at Seaglow’s Finds. I’ll post once I finalize the design. I will be pendant for sure with a Mahenge Spinel.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine costs about the same as what the other pendant I posted costs. So we are talking like approx USD 1k/ct and a few hundred dollars for the setting? I did try to benchmark against brand new stones but prices are all over the place so I gave up after a while. Is that considered pricey since it’s preloved and all?
You did great!!! :appl::appl::appl:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I have no dedicated thread for paraibas but i have some photos at the show me thread and at Seaglow’s Finds. I’ll post once I finalize the design. I will be pendant for sure with a Mahenge Spinel.

Is it this one?

If you don’t mind sharing... I rem reading that you will get uncertified gems/Paraiba so long as they are glowy? Is it common for paraiba not to glow? I’ve seen some at the Singapore fairs that are totally not impressive/glory so I’m wondering if it’s common or just the vendor brought duds along.

Got 3 Mozambique copper-bearing tourmalines for collection.

Blue (2 carats), blue green (3.35 cts.), and a lavender blue (2.48 carats).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I may be a bit biased because I’m originally from Japan and my sister was in jewelry business there, I tend to trust Japanese vendors.
But yes, Japanese people love paraibas and padparadschas and are very snobby about color and clarity when it comes to diamonds.

Anyway, I can’t get enough of seeing pictures of your beautiful glowy pendant!

Any reason why these stones are particularly popular? Just curious...
Also do the Japanese like platinum settings too? That’s what I noticed from the preloved listings, lots of platinum settings.

And they also all have slim fingers cos I mostly see ring sizes (Japan sizes) like 9, 10, 11, 12. Makes me want to give my fingers a diet. :lol:

Thanks!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think it's not too shabby a price. The setting with diamonds may be more than a few hundred. Not sure about labour costs in Jp.

Well when it comes to relatively rare stones like these and considering they once went for more at the height of hype, hard to put a 2nd hand retail price to it :)

I really need to figure out CS pricing better. Ok I know it’s much cheaper in BKK right? If you and @Seaglow are willing to bring a few noobs to BKK fair I want to sign up too!

I’m not experienced with Paraiba....but my overall impression is that you got a great jewel with a lot of bang for the buck! It shows on you really well and you can grow into it with age, meaning that I don’t think it will ever look like it’s jewelry for a younger person....it has longevity. I love finds like yours because it is truly luscious and beautiful perhaps without an inflated/hype/retail price. Win win!

Thank you! Ok am not so young so I don’t think I have young person taste lol. But it’s a good point re longevity. I did wonder before if my daughter will find all my stuff really old fashioned next time. But ok she can reset if she wants.

What a stunning, gorgeous color!!! I've been developing a growing affection for paraibas and your pendant is not helping stem my lusting :mrgreen2:

They are stunning. Can’t stop at one...

It’s beautiful! :love:

Thank you!

You did great!!! :appl::appl::appl:

Thanks! I hope so. But ok, already spent the money and I really love it so best not to think about it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Your big paraiba is stunning! Congrats on scoring such a lovely pendant. :appl::appl::appl:

I can understand if you can't snap pictures of it to show us as often as you would a bracelet or ring, but I hope you get to wear it lots and lots. Surely you'll get compliments on it, even away from PS?

Nope... not a peep. And I’ve been wearing for the last few days.

It’s ok, I’m pretty much used to it. Frankly if it’s so hard for my ropes of pearls to get noticed, there’s really hardly any hope for CS.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really need to figure out CS pricing better. Ok I know it’s much cheaper in BKK right? If you and @Seaglow are willing to bring a few noobs to BKK fair I want to sign up too!

Thank you! Ok am not so young so I don’t think I have young person taste lol. But it’s a good point re longevity. I did wonder before if my daughter will find all my stuff really old fashioned next time. But ok she can reset if she wants.

They are stunning. Can’t stop at one...

Thank you!

Thanks! I hope so. But ok, already spent the money and I really love it so best not to think about it.
Just want to clarify because I think my post was not well written and thus confusing! I’m sure ANY young person would adore your pendant! What i mean is that it has a nice, substantial size and a classic look which will look good in the future as well as now. It is timeless.

Re the younger person jewelry, I’m not even sure why I put that in...When I described younger person jewelry, for me that means smaller things, whimsical designs...being young with lovely skin means one can get away with wearing almost anything. In my own experience, the pendants which looked good on me at 18 don’t do much anymore because of skin changes, more covered tops, and a different feeling inside. They also tended to be more dainty..,etc. I need more substantial and timeless pieces now than I did then. I also know that if my mother were to have given me a pendant like yours, it would have been a dream come true! Hope this makes more sense!:)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous pendant! Congratulations!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it this one?

If you don’t mind sharing... I rem reading that you will get uncertified gems/Paraiba so long as they are glowy? Is it common for paraiba not to glow? I’ve seen some at the Singapore fairs that are totally not impressive/glory so I’m wondering if it’s common or just the vendor brought duds along.

Possibly but I have to match with a classic mahenge spinel that is neon orange pink. But it has to be 3 carats up or the 4+ or the 6+ carats. Your pendant looks fantastic so I’m inclined not to go smaller than 3 carats.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok and then when I finally saw it under natural lighting today I fell in love. It is glowy! Also super included and has a window which I thought I’ll mind but I actually love it enough to overlook them.

But yeah, here’s my new (preloved) 3.176 ct paraiba pendant set with 0.81 ct diamonds in platinum.

C94CB54C-680E-4D3D-90B1-AB6BE6079C89.jpeg
6F442955-F819-42B4-8745-06E9F8A88D1A.jpeg
3446F421-B015-417C-AF2D-253934CBE616.jpeg
29BD835B-E4FF-4B2F-8214-B4DB5B1F6BE9.jpeg
3B91EBBA-FAC0-4AB2-AAAE-A0C196691D2C.jpeg

Your pendant looks amazing with your beautiful dark hair! (Last photo) I love how glowy it is. The length and shape look perfect on you. It definitely found its proper owner! Congratulations!!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
All I can say is wow!
Its gorgeous and the diamond sparkle and size only enhance the glow of it.

I dream of the day that I can afford a nice big sugar loaf Paraiba!
Enjoy, and wear it in good health! (:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lived in Japan a long while back and found the retail jewelry very, very expensive. Still is today. So I think that the diamond and setting would retail above a few hundred dollars. It s a beautiful pendant.

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
Any reason why these stones are particularly popular? Just curious...
Also do the Japanese like platinum settings too? That’s what I noticed from the preloved listings, lots of platinum settings.

And they also all have slim fingers cos I mostly see ring sizes (Japan sizes) like 9, 10, 11, 12. Makes me want to give my fingers a diet. :lol:

Thanks!

I think Japanese people tend to value rare things, especially with branded names i.e. paraiba, padparadscha, etc. and are willing to pay premiums for them. They also love luxury brands too. Platinum is the white metal of choice and 18k for yellow gold. I think they would love the super ideal diamonds if introduced right (I don’t know if they are sold in Japan now). They like color D-F, and clarity VVS and better.
It’s funny though when it comes to pearls, the whitest is not the most desirable.

Lots of people have slim fingers. I have large hands and my ring finger size 5.5-6 felt very big there...

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade

So I’ve decided this is my pendant.

Both will have a diamond halo of very small diamond melees....the Paraiba will dangle from the spinel and the bail can be opened at the back, so it’s actually an enhancer. I think it will look good in 14k white gold which is the popular choice but I decided to make it 14k yellow gold since I saw some paraibas that looked good in yellow gold. Let’s see!

9DB7CFE7-15E7-44F1-94C4-2004BBEE1CF6.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade

Both will have a diamond halo of very small diamond melees....the Paraiba will dangle from the spinel and the bail can be opened at the back, so it’s actually an enhancer. I think it will look good in 14k white gold which is the popular choice but I decided to make it 14k yellow gold since I saw some paraibas that looked good in yellow gold. Let’s see!

Wonderful! I think yellow gold would be fantastic with those!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Just want to clarify because I think my post was not well written and thus confusing! I’m sure ANY young person would adore your pendant! What i mean is that it has a nice, substantial size and a classic look which will look good in the future as well as now. It is timeless.

Re the younger person jewelry, I’m not even sure why I put that in...When I described younger person jewelry, for me that means smaller things, whimsical designs...being young with lovely skin means one can get away with wearing almost anything. In my own experience, the pendants which looked good on me at 18 don’t do much anymore because of skin changes, more covered tops, and a different feeling inside. They also tended to be more dainty..,etc. I need more substantial and timeless pieces now than I did then. I also know that if my mother were to have given me a pendant like yours, it would have been a dream come true! Hope this makes more sense!:)

I think some smaller dainty pieces can still look good regardless of age on petite frames. Unfortunately I don’t have the figure I used to have 20 years ago so I’m “forced” to go big. :geek2:

But yeah this is a pretty timeless design. I can imagine wearing it on 20 years (provided I don’t get a bigger one in the meantime!).

Gosh paraibas are addictive!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pendant! Congratulations!

Your pendant looks amazing with your beautiful dark hair! (Last photo) I love how glowy it is. The length and shape look perfect on you. It definitely found its proper owner! Congratulations!!

All I can say is wow!
Its gorgeous and the diamond sparkle and size only enhance the glow of it.

I dream of the day that I can afford a nice big sugar loaf Paraiba!
Enjoy, and wear it in good health! (:

I lived in Japan a long while back and found the retail jewelry very, very expensive. Still is today. So I think that the diamond and setting would retail above a few hundred dollars. It s a beautiful pendant.

Thank you ladies!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think Japanese people tend to value rare things, especially with branded names i.e. paraiba, padparadscha, etc. and are willing to pay premiums for them. They also love luxury brands too. Platinum is the white metal of choice and 18k for yellow gold. I think they would love the super ideal diamonds if introduced right (I don’t know if they are sold in Japan now). They like color D-F, and clarity VVS and better.
It’s funny though when it comes to pearls, the whitest is not the most desirable.

Lots of people have slim fingers. I have large hands and my ring finger size 5.5-6 felt very big there...

For pearls luster and orient first I think. And for akoya pearls I think they like pinked akoyas.

Thanks for explaining! I do see some really fabulous quality and rare gems on Japanese sites. Plus I like Japanese designs but just not the tiny sizes lol.

5.5-6 is super slim!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade

Oh I can’t wait to see yours. Are you sending in to set soon?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I can’t wait to see yours. Are you sending in to set soon?
Already with the goldsmith. Should be ready in 2-3 weeks.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous pendant! Wow, what an awesome colour. Looks great on you too. :cool2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous Paraiba pendant! They are the most electric stones!! Enjoy!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, congrats!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results