shape
carat
color
clarity

My own design. 2 weeks to wait until wax. [IMAGE]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Here is a ring that I designed on my computer with a CAD program and rendering software. I just got the estimate today from the jeweler and now have to wait two weeks until he''s done building the wax model. Only change that is being made is that I''m having 2 diamonds removed from the channel, one on each side at the bottom to cut costs to fit my budget.

The centerstone will be about 0.50 carat princess. Each in the channel will be about 0.04 carat princess. Total weight about 1.27 carat.

I''m excited to see it and hopefully my girlfriend will like it.

What do you think?

Ukieza

fulliso4Best.JPG

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Top view.

topfar.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow the design looks awesome!!!! Good Job!!!
36.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Side view of the centerstone.

sidelevelBest.jpg

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Very very nice. Plus I like the fact that a wedding band and/or an eternity ring will sit snugly against the shank of the ring.

I have a solitaire ring with similar flat topped prongs - I love that look.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice!!! Can''t wait to see the wax and then, of course....your handshots!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! The design looks awesome
1.gif

34.gif
Now... please feel free to call me missinformed / delusional or whatever (you are obviously allot more used to design than I am). Just thought I''d mention the ( deliberately paranoid ) note below before rather than after the deed is done. Did the jeweler point out any of the sort ?

ExC.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
The ring is very cool, but I just LOVE that you designed it yourself! That is romantic to the hilt!

michela002

Shiny_Rock
It looks very pretty! And I love that you designed it yourself, she will be touched
1.gif
Congratulations!

Shay

Shiny_Rock
In your last picture it looks like the smaller princesses carry on right underneath your main diamond. Is this right? I''ve never seen this before and think it may look unbelievable.
36.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
What an impressive looking design. I can''t wait to see the result of your hard work.

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
First off, thanks everyone for comments. I appreciate it! I worked pretty long on that design. I think I completely redesigned the prongs 3-5 times and I know I redesigned the shank several more times than that. Pretty much the same look throughout each redesign but tweaks here and there.

kaleigh wrote:
Wow the design looks awesome!!!! Good Job!!!
Thanks!
1.gif

Bagpuss wrote:
Very very nice. Plus I like the fact that a wedding band and/or an eternity ring will sit snugly against the shank of the ring.

I have a solitaire ring with similar flat topped prongs - I love that look.
That''s one of the reasons I designed the prongs like I did. I intend to have a wedding band made that looks identical to the e-ring but without the centerstone. Good eye! As for the "flat topped prongs" are you referring to the very top, like where the table of the diamond is? That is round. Or are you referring to how the sides are fairly flat? The design goes from square up to round where the prong holds the centerstone.

AChiOAlumna wrote:
Very nice!!! Can''t wait to see the wax and then, of course....your handshots!!!!
Me too! I hope I can get a clean picture of the wax. Do you think the jeweler will think I''m weird if I come in with my camera?
28.gif

valeria101 wrote:
Wow! The design looks awesome

Now... please feel free to call me missinformed / delusional or whatever (you are obviously allot more used to design than I am). Just thought I''d mention the ( deliberately paranoid ) note below before rather than after the deed is done. Did the jeweler point out any of the sort ?
First off, this is the first ring I have ever made so I don''t think I''m any better or knowledgeable about design than you are. Secondly, I didn''t really think too much about that. I was worried about the strength of the prongs. I''ve done some research on how thick prongs should be to reduce loosening of the centerstone and most "real" designers (which I am not) were quoting 1mm, minimum, for thickness. I tried to do 1mm and then some. Since I''m getting this made in 14k gold I was also hoping that it would be stronger than 18k. I was also hoping that going from square (stronger) to round would give some added strength as well. So, that''s a good point you made. The jeweler said nothing of the such and now you have me curious. Do you feel this will be a problem? Have you had experience with something like this causing issues? If so I really would like to know before I get this past the wax phase. Maybe a redesign is inline. Thanks!

Matatora wrote:
The ring is very cool, but I just LOVE that you designed it yourself! That is romantic to the hilt!
Thanks. *blushes*

Indecisive wrote:
It looks very pretty! And I love that you designed it yourself, she will be touched Congratulations!
I sure hope she likes it! Especially after all that time it took!

Shay wrote:
In your last picture it looks like the smaller princesses carry on right underneath your main diamond. Is this right? I''ve never seen this before and think it may look unbelievable.
Haha! I love your avatar! As for your question, that''s correct! The channel cut diamonds do actually carry right on under the centerstone. When I took my girlfriend shopping for a diamond, one of the first places we went had a ring with the same concept. She fell in love with it until she saw the exact ring at almost every other shop in the mall. So, she liked it but wanted something unique. She also liked the european shank, as did I. So I decided that I wanted to find a ring with both the european shank and pass under/through design. I was not able to find both in one ring so I designed it myself.
28.gif

MiniMouse:
What an impressive looking design. I can''t wait to see the result of your hard work.
Thanks!
1.gif

Thanks everyone!
Ukieza

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2005 4:25
6.gif
PM
Author: Ukieza

The jeweler said nothing of the such and now you have me curious.
Do you feel this will be a problem?
Have you had experience with something like this causing issues?
If so I really would like to know before I get this past the wax phase.
Maybe a redesign is inline.
Well, I am not a jeweler and do not have any horror story about bent prongs to tell.

If the 1mm tickness is ok depends on the length of the prongs from top to the first anchor point and their angle (towards or againt the direction they might be pulled towards if caught in clothing) ... In the drawing it looks like the prongs are thin compared to their length (by eyeballing, not precise engineering by all means) and bent outwards so that they would not oppose resistance when pulled away from the stone when caught into something.

This would simply be a question to ask the jeweler. Having a detailed design to work with should make any safety adjustment easy.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool!!! It must be so exciting to be a part of the whole creative process. I think your g/f will l
30.gif
ve it!!

Can't wait to see more pics
2.gif

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
ukieza-

very nice design. just wondering...what software did you use? first guess was alias or rhino. would be interested to know.

also... if you are interested in looking up the prong strength... take a look here. some interesting stuff..... if i find a minute i can check the numbers a little more closely for you.

http://www.gold.org/discover/sci_indu/GTech/1998_23/Engine.pdf

...or just wait until you hear from on of the people on here who does settings.

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2005 11:33:58 AM
Author: lost on 5th
ukieza-
very nice design. just wondering...what software did you use? first guess was alias or rhino. would be interested to know.

also... if you are interested in looking up the prong strength... take a look here. some interesting stuff..... if i find a minute i can check the numbers a little more closely for you.

http://www.gold.org/discover/sci_indu/GTech/1998_23/Engine.pdf

...or just wait until you hear from on of the people on here who does settings.

You are correct. I used Rhino 3D to do the design. It was the eval software and I rendered it in POV-Ray 3.6 It''s fun software to play with. I''m not great with it yet but I''m getting better. I haven''t touched it for a while. I might after I get the wax back. I have 1 more week to wait.
8.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
When will be seeing wax pictures?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, we can''t wait to see them, so exciting!!!

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! You are talented! It is beautiful, and I''m sure she will love it!! I can''t wait to see the finished product!

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Matatora wrote:
When will be seeing wax pictures?
Soon I hope! They told me 2 weeks and that was before I wrote the orignal post. I believe they were talking from Monday the 18th of April. So hopefully they''ll have something for me Monday the 2nd of May. Only thing is I won''t beable to sneak off to see it until the following Thursday. I pulled out my camera last night and charged up the battery. I''ll be taking that with.
28.gif

kaleigh wrote:
Yes, we can''t wait to see them, so exciting!!!
28.gif
I really wish I could see it now. I''m nervous all in the same though. What if they screwed up my design. What if it''s nothing like what I designed. It''d be ruined! I''m running out of time! I hope it does''t take 4 weeks to go from wax to the real thing. Does anyone know how long that process should take?!?

Kaili wrote:
Wow!! You are talented! It is beautiful, and I''m sure she will love it!! I can''t wait to see the finished product!
I''m just the average joe. I''m sure you could do it too. It wasn''t super hard. Just a little math knowledge and a LOT of fiddling with the program.

Here is another file for everyone. I put this collage together last night. I''m entering it in a computer modelling challenge on another site. It''s the site that helped me with the program I used. (Rhino 3D software) The guys there are awesome! They answered all my questions very well. Anyway, hope you enjoy. It shows some of the wireframes too! :)

Message2236915.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m impressed if this isn''t your day job! My b/f is a digital artist for a software company, and also owns his own digital art company where he specializes in architecture visualization - he does a lot of 3d work and uses 3d Studio Max and Vray daily with his renderings. I showed him your design and he loved the design, and was impressed with your work. I particularly love the idea, and find it truly romantic that he designed it yourself.
Go you!

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/29/2005 2
6.gif
5:32 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I''m impressed if this isn''t your day job! My b/f is a digital artist for a software company, and also owns his own digital art company where he specializes in architecture visualization - he does a lot of 3d work and uses 3d Studio Max and Vray daily with his renderings. I showed him your design and he loved the design, and was impressed with your work. I particularly love the idea, and find it truly romantic that you designed it yourself.

Go you!

*blushes* Shucks.. ;-)

Doing these things isn''t my day job. I WISH! Hehe.. it was fun doing it. I''ve actually been playing with CAD like software for a while but just for games. Quake (first person shooter video game) style map/level making. Architecture is something I''d love to do but it''s a tough field to be in. So I just did it as a hobby for a while. Is the software company or his company looking to fill any positions?
31.gif
Hehe, I''d love to do this for a living. Hehe.. Or help him out for little to no pay. Haha!

I use to work as a software engineer for a CAD/CAM company with huge customers such as Ford. Currently I''m just a software engineer writing test code for code that sits on hardware (firmware). It''s not super fun but it pays the bills.
28.gif

Thanks for your wonderful reply.
1.gif

Ukieza

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are extremely talented and have put so much work into this beautiful design. I look foward to seeing the actual ring. It''s going to be amazing I''m sure!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2005 1:23:26 PM
Author: Ukieza

Here is another file for everyone; I put this collage together last night. I''m entering it in a computer modelling challenge on another site.

It''s the site that helped me with the program I used. (Rhino 3D software)
I had no idea this piece of software existed... It really makes a great toy (link to jewelry design page). What is the "another site" you mention above ?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That fram work drawing was just over the top! Wow!

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
kaleigh wrote:
You are extremely talented and have put so much work into this beautiful design. I look foward to seeing the actual ring. It''s going to be amazing I''m sure!!!
Thank you for the kind compliment. I can''t wait. Today is when it''s suppose to be just about done. I won''t have time until later this week to actually drive up to see it. Takes almost an hour 1 way to get there.

valeria101 wrote:
I had no idea this piece of software existed... It really makes a great toy (link to jewelry design page). What is the "another site" you mention above ?
Yeah, I really like playing with Rhino3D. It''s a fun product. Sometimes I think that some of the other pieces of software might do better but this was the one I downloaded (eval of course) and used. The site is http://www.renderosity.com/ I entered my work into the latest bi-monthly open challenge they had in the forums there. I won the challenge in the new user category but there was only one other entry.... so that wasn''t too tough. He made a BMX bike wheel hub. He did a good job but I think people liked my story better.
28.gif

Matatora wrote:
That fram work drawing was just over the top! Wow!
Are you referring to the just gray pictures? Are those the framework pictures you mean? Those are what it looks like in the program I made it in. That''s how I look at it when designing it. Kinda, fun huh? I thought so.
1.gif

Thanks again everyone for you comments!
Ukieza

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Ugh, 2 weeks just worked it's way to 3 weeks. They didn't anticipate that it was going to take as long and had more orders for Mother's day than expected. It was almost 2.5 weeks already! :( Oh well I guess, not much I can do about it.

I asked if he was going to have the jeweler put the stones in the wax setting for me so I could judge the width of the band (something my gf seemed to be concerned with when we went shopping) Said he would write it in my records and we could maybe get 1 of the 20 channel diamonds in the channel. I'm sure the center stone won't be placed either.. oh well. *shrugs* What to do, huh?

So, late Friday is when I get to maybe see it. Hopefully I can make something up to tell the gf as to why I'm gone. :( BLEH!

Ukieza

kreffell

Rough_Rock
Wow, what a great design.

Sorry I am late in joining this discussion, but I have only just found this wonderful forum.

For anyone wanting to learn Rhino3d, at Cadwax we offer a range of educational tutorials, designed specifically for the Jewelry trade.
We are a friendly team and offer our help where ever we can.
35.gif

Best wishes,
Keith Reffell
http://www.cadwax.com

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/8/2005 2:31:1 AM
Author: kreffell

For anyone wanting to learn Rhino3d we have 24 free tutorials to download (jewelry specific), we also run our modules as 6 week home study courses.
Great site ! Thank you for the note.

Hm... well, you have just got one more Romanian fan, but Romania is not on your country list
2.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I also love your design. It was also very interesting to see your custom creation come to life via the software! I am no expert but I am sure your jeweler would address any "issues" with the prongs. I cannot wait to see the real thing....love the band & shank especially!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results